• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Slermy

RGfGEmK.gif

It's cool to have the actual cart, but thanks to the 3DS eShop you can get its 175 unique puzzle rooms, 8 cleverly-designed bosses, and about 10 hours of game play for a mere $2.99. It's a ridiculously good deal (eShop page).

I have the cart, but have not purchased any eShop GameBoy games yet. Do the titles on the eShop give SuperGameboy border/color options? Or even the GBA color pallets?

Timeless

Seems pointless in a world where the GC GBA player and component cables already exist.
And I think the GBA player seems pointless in a world where emulation (with nearest neighbor pixel-perfect scaling) is possible. Of course, games like Mother 3 and Rhythm Tengoku don't emulate perfectly.

I have the cart, but have not purchased any eShop GameBoy games yet. Do the titles on the eShop give SuperGameboy border/color options? Or even the GBA color pallets?

Of course not, Nintendo hasn't bothered to program in any of those things to their 3DS GB emulator.

Did I read that right? ~40USD releasing in mid-May. I'll wait for reviews but I would love to have one if they work decently.

I assume it's similar tech as the retrogen adapter, which doesn't inspire the most confidence. I would definitely wait for reviews.

johnsmith

remember me
And I think the GBA player seems pointless in a world where emulation (with nearest neighbor pixel-perfect scaling) is possible. Of course, games like Mother 3 and Rhythm Tengoku don't emulate perfectly.

Maybe some of us don't like to illegally pirate games?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think you just sold Mole Mania to me, man.

I see it's one of those black GBC carts...doesn't that mean it'll still play on the original Gameboy?

I think you just sold Mole Mania to me, man.

I see it's one of those black GBC carts...doesn't that mean it'll still play on the original Gameboy?

Mole Mania should be a gray cart... make sure you're not looking at a bootleg.

But yeah, back carts will work on original Game Boys. It's the transparent carts for Game Boy Color that won't work.

womp

Which is exactly why something like a GBA Player isn't pointless in a world of emulation.

Colin.

I'm thinking about getting some protectors for my collection. Looking for around 50, and maybe around 25 n64 one's as well. I've looked around, but most of the shipping prices for these things are ridiculous. So if you can help a fellow from the UK out, let me know!

Grief.exe

Godspeed.

It wasn't really worth the trip.

I ended up with Final Fantasy Tactics for $9, but the pickings were pretty slim.

All of the SNES, NES, and N64 games were just sports franchises.

The GBA/GB had a decent selection, somewhat overpriced. All of the pokemon games were about $35-40 each, even with damage to the label.

He did have a boxed copy of Golden Sun: Lost Age, but he wanted too much for it.

They had a few copies of various Super Mario Advance games that I was interested in, but not for those prices.

Made a new pick up today

ishDiR3b1g57r.png

smbu2000

Picked up these three GB games. The conditions of the carts aren't great, but I only paid 100 yen each, so not bad. I still don't need to pick up something to play them on a portable though. My GB and GBA SP are in the U.S. and my GBA Micro doesn't play GB games. I'm just using my Super Game Boy (on a SFC) to play them.

Went into Fukuoka today to take a mental health day, and hit up a bunch of game shops. Found these two beauties.
Nice! How much did you get FFV for? The cheapest I've seen it is about 4500 yen. I've been wanting to pick up both FFV and FFVI for GBA.

IrishNinja

hey guys - im thinking about this Mother 3 repro, but what do you guys use for GBA cases? i guess i could take an exacto or something to a loose DS case, yeah?

was debating buying a few of the empty GB clear plastic cases for the looseys i had about as well

All of the SNES, NES, and N64 games were just sports franchises.

haha, so very many auctions, swaps, and even convention finds where i'm thinking "it's a goddamn shame i don't love retro sports games past blades of steel, NBA jam and cyberball"

IrishNinja

no doubt! that's why it made my short list...honestly a few others due like mutant league stuff but most of them can take a hike; ive got way too many 90s era maddens cause i just wanted the cases & such, haha

johnsmith

remember me
hey guys - im thinking about this Mother 3 repro, but what do you guys use for GBA cases? i guess i could take an exacto or something to a loose DS case, yeah?

was debating buying a few of the empty GB clear plastic cases for the looseys i had about as well

haha, so very many auctions, swaps, and even convention finds where i'm thinking "it's a goddamn shame i don't love retro sports games past blades of steel, NBA jam and cyberball"

The old style DS cases have a GBA cart slot.

Nintendo used to sell them, but now they only sell the ones without the gba slots. Buy some new ones, switch out the cases with your old DS games that have cases with gba slots.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=62209&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Top is the old style with the gba slot, bottom is the new one.
ibsgXQl9TcxhcP.jpg

IrishNinja

oh wow, you can tell i missed out entirely on the GBA generation cause i never noticed that...good call man, i shall do just that!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I went to look for a boxed/complete Zelda Minish Cap, wanted to buy it again after having it sold 3 years ago for like 30Euros, now that I've beat the game on 3DS and came to the conclusion that I, in facf, like the game quite a bit.

Except it's been going for TWO HUNDRED FIFTY EUROS.

Fuck them, but FUCK ME. I swear to god I'll never sell a good game again, second time something loke this hapoens to me after Metal Slug AES JPN.

Grief.exe

The old style DS cases have a GBA cart slot.

Nintendo used to sell them, but now they only sell the ones without the gba slots. Buy some new ones, switch out the cases with your old DS games that have cases with gba slots.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=62209&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Top is the old style with the gba slot, bottom is the new one.
ibsgXQl9TcxhcP.jpg

I didn't know Nintendo stopped selling the ones with the GBA slot, I was actually about to go and buy some this week too.

I really don't have that many DS cases. Any advice on where to buy the old style ones?

emb

Found a purple GBA with Tetris DX going through an old building at my Grandparents' today. System was in great shape; battery cover and stickers all like new. Plus, it gave me an excuse to spend like 2 hours playing Tetris earlier. :3

Nice! How much did you get FFV for? The cheapest I've seen it is about 4500 yen. I've been wanting to pick up both FFV and FFVI for GBA.

4,000 yen. Pretty much perfect condition too. I'd been hunting around for V, so I flipped out when I saw a boxed copy.

Now all I need is VI...

So after getting lucky yesterday and finding Final Fantasy V Advance for a decent price and in great condition, I stumbled upon a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance at my local Book Off.

Needless to say, I bought the ever living hell of it. Near-perfect condition too.

smbu2000

I just picked this up today. There are a few scratches on the the top, but inside the screen and everything are in excellent condition. Now I can finally play my GB games without my Super Game Boy.

How much should I pay for Mother 3 and Mother 1+2? I don't want to get ripped off but I don't mind paying for nice complete copies either!

Well I guess it just depends on how much you can find them for. I picked up my boxed copy of Mother 1+2 (best version) for about 2200 yen. I got Mother 3 boxed for about 3300 yen, both about 1-2 years ago. I thought those were pretty good deals. I'm not sure what current pricing would be for them though.

isny

napkin dispenser
I didn't know Nintendo stopped selling the ones with the GBA slot, I was actually about to go and buy some this week too.

I really don't have that many DS cases. Any advice on where to buy the old style ones?

I have at least an extra ten of the ones with GBA cart holders that I bought brand new from Nintendo years ago. Shipping would be killer though if I were to sell them to you =/

smbu2000

4,000 yen. Pretty much perfect condition too. I'd been hunting around for V, so I flipped out when I saw a boxed copy.

Now all I need is VI...

That's pretty good. I want to pick up all three sometime (even though I have the SFC versions) Glad to see you found VI as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could someone clue me in on the best Japan-only GB games? I have Picross 2, that's about all I know.

I was about to freak out over this find and offer you my Game Boy Light for it but then I realized it was a B&W picture.

Are White Play-it-Louds really that scarce?

Could someone clue me in on the best Japan-only GB games? I have Picross 2, that's about all I know.
The only ones I can think of are really rare, and in ZAS's case, rare and extrmely expensive.

ZAS-2.png

Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS - Good shooter and technical marvel for the system. Uses LCD display trickey.

TripWorld_screenshot.png

Trip World - Sunsoft platformer.

mattiewheels

Does Trip World have anything to do with Mr. Gimmick?

Grief.exe

I have at least an extra ten of the ones with GBA cart holders that I bought brand new from Nintendo years ago. Shipping would be killer though if I were to sell them to you =/

:(
Thanks for the offer!

I saw some for sale on Amazon, but the reviews say they are ridiculously cheap and don't even close if a GBA game is inserted.

I've heard that asking around at GameStop is a good idea. They have extras since people don't bring in the box and manual anymore.

Reclaimer

Recent.y picked up a complete Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. It came with an unopened set of e-reader cards.

Is getting an e-reader a road worth going down?

Any thoughts on this? I don't know much about the extra levels in SMB3, or the other "nes game on a card" stuff. There seems to be plenty of e readers on eBay... Is it something that isn't really worth the trouble?

vgamer1

I figured the best place to ask would be here... does anyone know the best place to get a flash cart for the micro? Or what the best cart even is?

Peagles

Well I guess it just depends on how much you can find them for. I picked up my boxed copy of Mother 1+2 (best version) for about 2200 yen. I got Mother 3 boxed for about 3300 yen, both about 1-2 years ago. I thought those were pretty good deals. I'm not sure what current pricing would be for them though.

Thanks for the answer :)
I'm in New Zealand so my options are somewhat limited. I took a look on eBay and it seems you pay around $60 USD for Mother 3 and a bit more for Mother 1+2 (both complete). On Amazon they are listed for hundreds of dollars (especially Mother 1+2) so not sure what to think there!

womp

I figured the best place to ask would be here... does anyone know the best place to get a flash cart for the micro? Or what the best cart even is?

M3 Lite. Preferably the one that includes the GBA shell because you can swap the innards out into the included DS Lite shell.

I got one years ago. Best you can get IMO. Probably hard to find nowadays though.

Duster

Any thoughts on this? I don't know much about the extra levels in SMB3, or the other "nes game on a card" stuff. There seems to be plenty of e readers on eBay... Is it something that isn't really worth the trouble?

Probably not, here's what's available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_e-Reader

The highlight is the extra Mario levels (highlights below) but the e-reader was region locked and some levels were exclusive to Japan.
However there are save files floating about that feature all but one of the levels .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-9FAwwMvM

For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls, there's an English fan translation.

mattiewheels

For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls, there's an English fan translation.
I was looking to buy carts though. Wasn't that what they turned into Link's Awakening?

Top Bottom