• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

johnsmith

remember me
Hey guys, how do GBA games look in a DS Lite? Streched or with borders of some sort?

They look great. Nice and bright, and it uses the GBA's real resolution with no stretching, just black in the DS's extra resolution empty space. It's my favorite portable system for GBA games.

iy3mwZlHHpzOa.JPG

Timeless

They look great. Nice and bright, and it uses the GBA's real resolution with no stretching, just black in the DS's extra resolution empty space. It's my favorite portable system for GBA games.

iy3mwZlHHpzOa.JPG

Why not play on the bottom screen? It makes it more GBA-esque if you have the screen near the buttons.

Hey guys, Super Mario Advance 2 -very good conditions and complete for $20, yay or nay?
Super Mario World is great, but the SNES version has a better color palette and Luigi is exactly the same as Mario, gameplay-wise. In SMA2, Luigi jumps higher and has less traction, which makes most levels easier, but a few, like
Bowser's Castle
more challenging. You can choose the character you want for any level; you're not stuck with one forever. I think the GBA version has more sounds from Mario / Luigi when they perform certain in-game actions, which most fans didn't care for.

You can fix the palette with a ROM hack, but then you have to buy both the SMA2 cart and a flashcart on top of that. Probably not worth it.

8x5WDP3.png
nuWH2km.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I say yay.

But if you just want a decent cart only, you could find it for $10 or less.

Thanks! I only collect complete games tho, a few pages backward there's a pic of my collection.
edit: here it is

Why not play on the bottom screen? It makes it more GBA-esque if you have the screen near the buttons.

Super Mario World is great, but the SNES version has a better color palette and Luigi is exactly the same as Mario, gameplay-wise. In SMA2, Luigi jumps higher and has less traction, which makes most levels easier, but a few, like
Bowser's Castle
more challenging. You can choose the character you want for any level; you're not stuck with one forever. I think the GBA version has more sounds from Mario / Luigi when they perform certain in-game actions, which most fans didn't care for.

Yeah I know that, I've had the game before, but I don't collect Super Famicom games anymore. I'm not sure it has much to do with color palette as much as gamma, which was because of how the original GBA displays color iirc, something newer games gave you the chance to fix by choosing the proper gamma.
I was merely asking if that's a good deal and I should go for it.
Now I'm missing less than 10 games to "complete" the games I really want, all of them complete in very good conditions so they're a bit of a bitch to find. Minish Cap EU still stings a lot, can't wrap my head around that... selling it for €30 three yearsvago while now it fetches €250 ffs how is that even possible?! It's a Zelda game and not that old... O_0

You can fix the palette with a ROM hack, but then you have to buy both the SMA2 cart and a flashcart on top of that. Probably not worth it.

8x5WDP3.png
http://i.imgur.com/nuWH2km.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Got a flashcart already which fits perfectly on my Micro.

Grief.exe

Just grabbed Sword of Mana for $10 off ebay. Nothing amazing, really.

Any other cheap JRPGs I should look out for?

I got that Mole Mania game off ebay for $5, it's really every bit as good as that guy said it was.

-Metroid IV for $4
-10-game GBC/GBA lot for $15 that included Pokemon Crystal, Warioland 3, Mario Party Advance, and an Indigo GBA.
Former was at the flea market, latter in a garage sale.

You haven't been having much Craigslist luck, Grief? Garage sale season usually kicks off in the summer so maybe things will get better in the next few months.

Some awesome pick ups!

I haven't had any Craigslist luck lately, I have one really amazing lead but he hasn't been getting back to me.

Sounds like he has tons of SNES, DS, and GBA games, but he works two jobs, goes to school, and has a family so, understandably, he is tough to get a hold of. I'm trying to find a time I can meet up with him.

He also has some PS3 games that I will probably pick up as well, I've been PC only this generation and looking to pick up some gems that I missed.

lupin23rd

Saw Final Fantasy V (GBA version) complete in a random pawn shop yesterday while waiting for a friend and picked it up. Paid $34.95 + tax. Box has a bit of creasing on it, manual and cart looks good (although I haven't actually tried it yet).

Good deal, or overpayment?

This game was my first import when I was a teenager and it holds some sentimental value for me, so a little overpayment is OK. This would actually be the first time to play it in English.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I got a silver GBA SP basically for free with a Rayman game (Hoodlum's revenge) on a flea market today.

It had no charger, though, but it works. Are there any universal usb chargers that work?

Time to read up on GBA/GB(C) games! Suscribed to this thread! :)

Dash Kappei

Guys, how do you store/display GBA boxes on the shelves? I'm getting paranoid about them getting ruined after noticing the side of my Link to the past GBA box has started to... Convex-itself, like a fat bending.
What's the best eay to preserve them?

Guys, how do you store/display GBA boxes on the shelves? I'm getting paranoid about them getting ruined after noticing the side of my Link to the past GBA box has started to... Convex-itself, like a fat bending.
What's the best eay to preserve them?

This post
in the haul thread might be of interest. They look like box protectors specifically designed for GBA games.

womp

So I got a silver GBA SP basically for free with a Rayman game (Hoodlum's revenge) on a flea market today.

It had no charger, though, but it works. Are there any universal usb chargers that work?

Time to read up on GBA/GB(C) games! Suscribed to this thread! :)

Just an FYI - original DS Phat AC Adapters work with GBA SP.

Downhome

The second game I set out to find was likely my favorite GBA game that wasn't directly from Nintendo - Ninja Five-O. I'm well aware of the rarity of this game however. I ended up selling all of my GBA games when the DS stopped supporting them since I had already sold my normal GBA systems as I went along and when I could no longer play them, I sold them. I bought Ninja Five-O brand new myself, and it remained complete and in the box. I sold it for maybe $100 or less back then. As the years have gone by, I have continued to monitor the game, and have watched it go up, up, and up in value for the most part.

Just why is this game so rare? Is it known how many copies were ever produced?

Anyway, I started actively searching for it after I got this GBM, and I may have finally had some luck. Long story short and as long as it isn't a bootleg, I essentially paid $3 for a copy of the Ninja Five-O cartridge. It was in a lot of 13 other GBA games that I paid $40 for, another of which is also sorta rare I believe - Sabre Wulf. I never thought I would ever be able to own Ninja Five-O once again, so I feel incredibly lucky as long as it doesn't end up being a bootleg.

Just to follow up, here are some pictures of the 13 games I bought for $40, and some images of just Ninja Five-O. I'm fairly certain I snagged a legit copy, but I thought I'd see if you guys can confirm it as well. Also, of the 13, other than Ninja Five-O, which ones should I hold on to? I'm just going to sell the majority of them on eBay or something, along with the Avatar and Madagascar games that came with my Micro.

kaVOYPL.jpg

LFia54R.jpg

YmsMB4a.jpg

gdkhBXc.jpg

dCcMHmK.jpg

And just for the heck of it, here are the other three games I already have for my "collection"...

6DclxUj.jpg

plc268

Yep, the ninja five-o is real. Great grab. I bought mine for $65 a while back.

And for what it's worth, I've never seen a counterfeit Ninja five-o.

Reclaimer

For those interested, I bought those box protectors from videogameboxprotectors.com. I've come away very impressed and am planning to make another purchase and buy some protectors for the other box types in my collection.

I've purchased the Snes and GB box protectors, as well as the snes cart protectors, and am quite impressed.

Good quality, good protection, and make your boxes games look better than ever.

Jarnet87

I completely forgot I had bought A Link to The Past Four Swords on GBA, was going through a box of games trying to find Pokemon for my brother and came across it. Can't wait to play through it again lol. I love my regular DS, can never get rid of it for that GBA cartridge slot.

I completely forgot I had bought A Link to The Past Four Swords on GBA, was going through a box of games trying to find Pokemon for my brother and came across it. Can't wait to play through it again lol. I love my regular DS, can never get rid of it for that GBA cartridge slot.

While I prefer the color reproduction on a Lite, nothing beats the original DS's D-Pad.

Grief.exe

What games can you guys pick out from this picture.

I see 2 copies of Mario & Luigi
Mario Kart
Super Mario Advance 4
Kingdom Hearts
Fire Red/Leaf Green (no labels)
Minish Cap
Metroid Zero Mission (This is a maybe, upper left hand corner)

NszUHns.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshi Touch & Go, Kingdom Hearts, Rayman Advance, Namco Museum, F-Zero GP Legend, and a whole buttload of shovelware from what I can see.

Oh I see Mario Party Advance too.

Grief.exe

Yoshi Touch & Go, Kingdom Hearts, Rayman Advance, Namco Museum, F-Zero GP Legend, and a whole buttload of shovelware from what I can see.

Oh I see Mario Party Advance too.

Sonic Advance 2 is there

lots of licensed stuff... Shrek 2, Robots, Simpsons Road Rage, Yu Yu Hakusho

This is too bad.

One of the larger collections I've seen on Craigslist and I already have most of the games on there.

Really, the only game I would be interested in would be Super Mario Advance 4. And even then, that isn't on my 'must have' list by any stretch of the imagination.

Yoshi Topsy Turvy and Mario & Luigi are there, just noticed them sideways

Looks like he actually has two copies of Mario & Luigi.

One side ways, and one just to the right of that one. Two columns over, one row up.

This is too bad.

One of the larger collections I've seen on Craigslist and I already have most of the games on there.

Really, the only game I would be interested in would be Super Mario Advance 4. And even then, that isn't on my 'must have' list by any stretch of the imagination.

Yoshi Topsy Turvy and Mario & Luigi are there, just noticed them sideways

Either way, depending on the price you might be able to flip them and turn a good profit for something you're more interested in.

Raife

Grief, I saw that listing earlier on CL. The poster listed some of the items incorrectly, so it may just be someone looking to get rid of their stuff. You could get it for a lot cheaper than the price they are asking for it if you negotiate with them.

Grief.exe

Grief, I saw that listing earlier on CL. The poster listed some of the items incorrectly, so it may just be someone looking to get rid of their stuff. You could get it for a lot cheaper than the price they are asking for it if you negotiate with them.

Do you live around the Denver area?

womp

It's one of my favorite puzzlers on any platform, definitely worth it if you can find it. Helps that the boxart is great too.

It is one of my favorite puzzle games ever, period. Obtaining the cart has been troubling to me for years now.

For those who have tried it, what do you think of Mega Man V? I just ordered it because I learned recently that it was totally original (for the longest time, I had believed that the Game Boy MM games were rehashes, so I steered clear as I already own all the important ones, i.e. MM 1-7 and MMX1 to X4).

alf717

For those who have tried it, what do you think of Mega Man V? I just ordered it because I learned recently that it was totally original (for the longest time, I had believed that the Game Boy MM games were rehashes, so I steered clear as I already own all the important ones, i.e. MM 1-7 and MMX1 to X4).

I really enjoyed MM5 on GB. I got to the last boss but haven't completed it yet. Kind of got screwed and didn't both to go back to it yet. MM 1 - 4 I think are still good pick ups. MM 2 will make your ears bleed =) , it doesn't bother me though, but still all of them are good games to play. I completed MM 1, 2 and 4 and still need to finish up 3 and 5. If you are in a Mega Man vibe right now check out both Mega Man Xtreme titles on the GBC as well. The game save as well so that is nice.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a chance to get cart-only For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls for a pretty reasonable price, crapped up label aside. Is it worth it for people that've tried it not knowing japanese?

None of the five Game Boy games are rehashes, so buy them all for sure! Well, maybe skip II because it's really not any good, but it's cheap, so probably pick it up anyway for complitionism. The first four games do reuse boss designs and stage settings, but otherwise they are completely original games -- the stages are all new, the orders you fight bosses in are new, etc. If you pass on them as "rehashes" but like NES-style Mega Man, you're making a big mistake.

The two Mega Man Xtreme games (the first is for GB/GBC dualmode, the second GBC only) are indeed rehashes, and are comprised of levels taken straight out of the SNES MMX games, but the original Game Boy titles are new. The Xtreme games are alright, but the original GB series is far better... II excepted of course, that's one of the worst Mega Man games ever made by Capcom. The other four are good though, and III through V are particularly outstanding...

Seriously? I never knew this...always thought they were just a best of for every two games (aside from V).

Seriously, you thought that? No. Very much no. Not one NES stage design exists in any of the five Game Boy titles. No boss rooms are exactly replicated either. Every level is new. Each game has two halves, with four bosses each, with some kind of boss or fortress in the middle between the two parts. (Well, except the first game, but that still does have four bosses each from two games in it; the second four just don't have stages.) Then the final Wily levels are at the end. There's also one new boss in the Wily sections of each game.

So yeah, each of the first four games has four bosses from one Mega Man game and then four bosses from the next one, but you play them in a different order -- for instance, in Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge (MMI for GB) you play Fire Man first and Cut Man last, of the first four. And the levels only resemble the NES stages in graphical themes, the actual layouts are, as I've said, entirely different. And even some of the themes changed; Cut Man's level isn't all that much like his NES one.

Also, the GB games are tough. Some of the NES games are hard, 2 (in Expert/Japanese mode) and 3 particularly, but MMI, III, IV, and V on the GB are all fairly tough games. II is laughably easy and is easily finished in a couple of hours the first time you pick it up (and it has some of the worst music ever in the franchise, too, and bugs!), but the others are a challenge. MMIII was a hard game... some of those stages are just crazy! I did eventually manage to finish it, but it was tough.

Oh, and the shops were introduced on the GB too. MMIV is the first Mega Man game with a "money" (P-chip) system and a shop you can go to between levels to buy things in. That later re-appeared in MMV and MM7-10, but it was first in IV. Yes, there's a reason why MMIV and MMV are two of the most expensive US-released Game Boy games... they are somewhat uncommon, and people know that they are great. That's one reason why I'd advise starting with the first and third games; they're much cheaper, and are definitely worth playing. I think III gets overshadowed by IV, often, but it really is a very good game... III through V are some of the best 8-bit-style Mega Man games ever made.

In comparison, again, the two Mega Man Xtreme games DO reuse SNES levels. The only original stage designs in the MM Xtreme games are the Sigma levels; all Robot Master stages in each game are direct copies of the SNES designs. At least those Sigma levels are new, and some are hard, but still, it's a lot of rehashed stuff. They do an impressive job of making the SNES stages work in 8-bit and with two buttons, but they are just ports. And yeah, the Xtreme games are decently good, but they're no match for MM III through V, and I'd rather play MM in Dr. Wily's Revenge too because at least it's an entirely original game.

This blew my mind.

Max Payne GBA is exactly the same as the PC version, except from an isometric perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsG-VUYUhQw

I just got done playing this game a few months ago, the level design, the amount of enemies, the voice acting of that first level is exactly the same between the two versions.

That's wild. If I remember correctly, Jet Set Radio's GBA port was a similar case of fitting the entire experience in an isometric view.

redcrayon

None of the five Game Boy games are rehashes, so buy them all for sure! Well, maybe skip II because it's really not any good, but it's cheap, so probably pick it up anyway for complitionism. The first four games do reuse boss designs and stage settings, but otherwise they are completely original games -- the stages are all new, the orders you fight bosses in are new, etc. If you pass on them as "rehashes" but like NES-style Mega Man, you're making a big mistake.

The two Mega Man Xtreme games (the first is for GB/GBC dualmode, the second GBC only) are indeed rehashes, and are comprised of levels taken straight out of the SNES MMX games, but the original Game Boy titles are new. The Xtreme games are alright, but the original GB series is far better... II excepted of course, that's one of the worst Mega Man games ever made by Capcom. The other four are good though, and III through V are particularly outstanding...

While the stages are all new in the GB games, they tend to be simplified versions of the NES equivalents. Also, they mix up the robot masters- MM2 GB has four from MM2 NES and four from MM3 NES, and so. They also have the Megaman hunter characters- Quint, Punk etc.

MMV is a cpmpletely new story, with all new robots- the stardroids! It even has a shooter section with Megaman and rush in space. It's awesome. The final boss is rock hard but it's one of the best games on the GB, with some really nice level design- there are secrets you'll need to replay the stages for etc.

Dash Kappei

that is a seriously tight collection.. quality and diversity reign over quantity. good job man!

Thanks! Going for only complete and very good conditions while never wanting to spend over €30 for a game makes it pretty difficult to have many games but I've just added to my collection (will post pics as soon as I get them):

Contra Advance EX -complete EU/decent conditions
Zelda Minish Cap -complete EU/very good conditions
Super Mario Advance 2: SMW/ complete EU/very good conditions
sword of Mana/ complete EU/mint

edit: got Contra today, I expected better conditions lookin at pics, damn eBay. I'd have paid probably close to half of what I did (which was €25) having known how it really was

Top Bottom