• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

leroidys

My latest pickup. Snagged this for €80. The box has some wear but the GBA, charger and complete game are in like new condition.

949ba8c18f31d2debc9ca73f2bbe664b38af4a9b.png

Oh man, I've always wanted this, awesome find. Now you have to track down the coffin case.
PR261mo.jpg

Is the SP a backlit version?

putermcgee

Ooh good to hear. I just won a cart only JP copy for a buck, looking forward to it now!
I like pinball and everything (a friend repairs and maintains a 10+ collection of tables I like to play when I can), but I often get the feeling I'm just trying to stay alive. With Pokemon Pinball R&S, I actually understand what the stuff on the table does, how to activate different missions, and tricks to progress.

Also of note, and I find it very similar to the Pokemon Pinball series, is the Japanese-only Super Robot Pinball on the GBC. It's a lot of fun, especially if you're into Japanese robot anime. I don't know all of the robots in the game, but they have a ton, including various Gundam and Evangelion mobile suits.

Completely forgot about you guys preferring aria when I asked which is better, dawn or aria.

You guys have good taste :D
Circle of the Moon is where it's at.

I definitely prefer AoS over HoD, but I think CotM is the one I played through the most (maybe three or four times) due to the additional modes you can unlock.

Oh man, I've always wanted this, awesome find. Now you have to track down the coffin case.
PR261mo.jpg

I could be way off, but I doubt it's backlit due to when the game was actually released.

PR261mo.jpg

I had the occasion to get the case but I decided not to and keep the money for another game.

The Boktai SP is an AGS-001 model.

A little family shot :

829a93e2a76b805d3075bb85e29fc433da949c2f.png

I was a bit disappointed by the condition of Gyakushū no Sabata. At some point I might sell it and find a copy in better condition.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm going to go see if the local Disc Replay has Castlevania Circle of the Moon today. That's one of my favorite GBA games.

Question - do they make reprint labels? Or is there a site with HQ scans? Some of my games have crappy labels and I want to know if is possible to fix them. And how do you guys store loose carts?

I was thinking to myself lately about the capacity loss problem with SP batteries, and in one of my kinda crazy, random "what if?" moments I thought to myself, "Would it be possible to mod an SP and it's compartment to take a more standard square battery like a nine volt style model like a PP3 or 6LR61, ect?" I seriously wonder now if anyone in the modding community has ever tried something like that?

Edit: Now THIS is interesting, this guy modded his SP to take a DSi 2000 mAh battery for about twice the battery life, guy says it required no soldering and just some basic, careful exacto knife work:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14373/gbasp-dsi-battery-mod/

That is very interesting! Could be a great replacement for my battery. I have the original and a third party replacement and neither give me much life these days.

Teknoman

I think I'm going to go see if the local Disc Replay has Castlevania Circle of the Moon today. That's one of my favorite GBA games.

Question - do they make reprint labels? Or is there a site with HQ scans? Some of my games have crappy labels and I want to know if is possible to fix them. And how do you guys store loose carts?

DS cases for GBA or just in GB plastic cases. All else fails, ziplock bag + shoebox lol.

Speaking of Castlevania, there arent any technical issues with the Harmony + Aria Double pack cart right? Seems like that would be the best way to go if you cant find em cheap separately?

And is this how a legit cart looks?

DS cases for GBA or just in GB plastic cases. All else fails, ziplock bag + shoebox lol.

Speaking of Castlevania, there arent any technical issues with the Harmony + Aria Double pack cart right? Seems like that would be the best way to go if you cant find em cheap separately?

The only downside I know of is that the Double Pack version won't unlock that special ring in the DS sequel if you have both carts in the DS. Otherwise it's feature complete with the individual releases.

Grizzo

These last few months I've been avoiding playing my GBA SP AGS 101 just to save the battery life.

I know one of these days it's gonna just die on me, and not playing it don't mean it's not still emptying itself... it would be much less of a hassle if I could just buy a brand new one.

These last few months I've been avoiding playing my GBA SP AGS 101 just to save the battery life.

I know one of these days it's gonna just die on me, and not playing it don't mean it's not still emptying itself... it would be much less of a hassle if I could just buy a brand new one.

I don't get it, are you missing the charger?

The battery will still degrade without use...

braves01

Banned

Not sure about the serial number or anything, but my Double pack that I purchased new looks like that. It's definitely got that "value" cartridge art. I played through each game on my cart and I didn't notice any technical issues either. The HoD music sounds just as bad as it should.

Just like the others I do not understand either. Could you explain?

prateeko

So I've bought a LOT of used games to rebuild my collection (overwhelmingly on eBay) and beyond reading pretty much every legit post/webpage on how to spot fakes, I've actually figured out an irrefutable way to tell in addition to some of the methods other people have mentioned.

I can take pictures later, but essentially it comes down to a few things.

1) Gut feeling (if it feels off and you have seen/own a decent number of games it is a bad sign).

2) Look against labels online. I find the easiest thing to do is search on eBay and look at many real pictures (i.e. I only search in the US and pay close attention to sellers who have auctions without buy it now's and for people who have lower feedback. That is, people who don't sell a TON of items).

The areas counterfiters messup are the rating, where they often seem to make the thickness of the "E" in the everyone rating off, or they'll mess up the text just above the E since it's very fine print.

They'll also tend to mess up the way the "Nintendo" capsule looks. Which can be seen in this picture that is actually pointing out how counterfiters mess up the shiny effect on the pokemon carts:

real-emerald-holographic-fractals(1).jpg

fake-emerald-reflective-label.jpg

Legit carts (somewhere on the right side) will have a stamp. It can be two numbers, two letters, or a combo that is embossed into the label. If the label is worn down it can be hard to see, but should be there (you can see the stamped code on the real picture above)

The PCB of the cartridge (if it is somewhat translucent) from the back should have a lot of circuits leading to the top of each contact, whereas with fakes they end all over the place. This picture demonstrates it well
real-vs-fake-emerald-back-of-cartridge.jpg

The PCB should also have Nintendo written on it when you look from below as noted in these pictures:
agb-e05-01-real-emerald.jpg

The fake one has a messed up font (very common issue for counterfitters it seems) and they circled it for some reason
agb-e01-41-fake-emerald.jpg

In fact, many of the points I made are listed on this page (where I grabbed images from):http://www.pokedit.com/ABG-E01-41+floods+eBay,+it's+a+trap_7347.html

As for the other thing I've figured out on my own (I'm sure others have too, but I have not seen it mentioned when I was going through looking online, which has been a few months since I last checked), you will need a triwing screwdriver. I cannot recommend a triwing screwdriver enough if you want to purchase used games. They run less than $6 shipped from Amazon and will allow you to very much definitively know if your game is legit or not...

braves01

Banned
^^
Good tips.

I bought a copy of FFV fulfilled by Amazon that ultimately ended up being a fake, but it looked closer to the real thing than any fake I'd seen before. What gave it away (other than the crappy sound, freezing, and save issues), was the printing on the PCB you can see without opening the cart. Instead of a legitimate copyright sign, it was just a circled 1.

I think the best way to buy GBA carts nowadays is obviously to see them in person if you can, or buy from the B/S/T thread from reputable sellers if online is your only option. There may be other good places to look, but fakes abound most places.

Grizzo

I don't get it, are you missing the charger?

The battery will still degrade without use...

Just like the others I do not understand either. Could you explain?

I know it's still gonna degrade when I'm not using it, and I do own the charger, it's just that I bought the system used on eBay two years ago and already played the hell out of it, so knowing that it's gonna die someday just makes me want to "save" whatever life is left in it.

Wait you can't just buy a new battery from Nintendo?

You can actually! But I don't know if they're brand new or just unused stock from 10 years ago (I guess it's the latter).

Plus I'm in Europe so I can't order one from them :(

I know it's still gonna degrade when I'm not using it, and I do own the charger, it's just that I bought the system used on eBay two years ago and already played the hell out of it, so knowing that it's gonna die someday just makes me want to "save" whatever life is left in it.

You can actually! But I don't know if they're brand new or just unused stock from 10 years ago (I guess it's the latter).

Plus I'm in Europe so I can't order one from them :(

My GAME BOYs came without batteries (they have to take them out when shipping to some European countries). I bought third party 850mAh 3.7V replacements on eBay which are holding up fine.

You should just enjoy your GBA. I know some people collect games to put them up on shelves but I believe these systems and games are meant to be played and enjoyed.

Grizzo

My GAME BOYs came without batteries (they have to take them out when shipping to some European countries). I bought third party 850mAh 3.7V replacements on eBay which are holding up fine.

You should just enjoy your GBA. I know some people collect games to put them up on shelves but I believe these systems and games are meant to be played and enjoyed.

oh, thanks, didn't know if I could trust those third-party batteries that I see here and there on Amazon, I'll try buying one just in case!

It's just that I love my SP 101 so much. It breathes a new life into all my old games, the screen is so awesome. I even bought an OG backlit GBA on eBay because I don't ever wanna have to go back to the OG frontlit GBA SP (and the R button of my Micro is broken).

braves01

Banned
I've gotten the worst looking obviously bootlegged stuff from fulfilled by Amazon sellers before.

Yeah, I got a really bad fake of Zero Mission from a third party before, but this copy of FFV was from Warehouse Deals, which is more closely affiliated with Amazon itself, no?

batrush

Always demand photos from Amazon sellers. Ask if it's an authentic cartridge, and if the response is yes, ask how that is known. Especially with those popular games (FF, Metroid, Pokemon, FE, Castlevania, etc.), flood these sellers with questions (ask for sharp photos of the front, back, contact area, and inside (if they're willing)). If they can't provide photos or make an effort to answer your questions, then there's no reason for you to do business with them. Trust no one. I've purchased quite a few games from Amazon sellers, none fake thanks to a bit of questioning.

Yeah, I got a really bad fake of Zero Mission from a third party before, but this copy of FFV was from Warehouse Deals, which is more closely affiliated with Amazon itself, no?

Yeah, the warehouse deals are returned or damaged stuff that can't pass for new. You getting a bootleg from that probably means that someone returned it in the place of the real game they ordered and amazon wasn't able to tell the difference when they got it back.

Or maybe things that are fulfilled by amazon also go though that when returned as well.

prateeko

Alright guys, I was supposed to do work but wrote up a quick little guide to spotting fakes (album with the same descriptions is available here: http://imgur.com/a/DTdzc)

First off, this is how I store my games (custom cover-art to be printed but it will come from TheCoverProject.com). The cases are awesome and from ShadowFox over at TCP (he owns CustomGameCases.com):
6lWDbJa.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

LET'S START!

All authentic Nintendo GBA games have a 2 digit (combination of number and/or letters) stamped onto the right side. Older games it may be harder to see if the label is damaged, but at an angle they should be visible.
PpFSWKy.jpg

Fake games tend to have a different font and misspellings. Here the font is correct and not thin. Everything is spelled correctly and the part number is AGB-002 (Advance Game Boy, part 001 is the GBA itself)
arJzROg.jpg

Always compare the label to all other ones since fake games will have labels the counterfeiters had to make. Often times the ESRB logo (especially the part that says "Content rate by") is produced incorrectly with fake games. I suspect this is because it is very small font. The Nintendo logo/capsule is often abnormally made with the thickness of the capsule, center placement of the text, and the thickness of the text incorrect with counterfeit games. The Nintendo seal is normal here, but it can be incorrectly done (the text was changed from older games to quality seal, but they may still have it written as Seal of quality or something along those lines). The label is not special but still of high quality.

Here I have circled the 4 digit game code. This is the code by which this game is identified. This is very important in validating the authenticity of this game once we open it up. If you put this code into a search engine it should identify the game for you. The three letter code that follows it indicates the region while the three letter AGB indicates it is a game for the Advance Game Boy (aka GBA).

q3SdLKO.jpg

Important features here are the quality of the contacts. The font used (again, counterfeit games seem to have trouble getting this correct) and the battery. I have read online (and based on my experience this holds true) the batteries that in Nintendo games (early games here required it to save, later some Pokémon games used it for the real time clock, aka RTC) is very well soldered on and the rim is RED plastic (supposedly a blue plastic rim was used with Pokémon Emerald), but reportedly Nintendo NEVER used a yellow-rimmed battery. Of course, if the battery failed and the seller replaced it, the yellow rim variety appears to be the most common.

What's really improtant here is under the battery (and normally easily visible if no battery were present) is the actual chip the game resides on. As best as I can tell, the PCB is similar across almost all GBA games but (just like the SNES I imagine, although to a lesser extent since there aren't any super fancy FX-esque chips I'm aware of) the GBA uses these chips with the game content on there. So the chip that is soldered to the board MUST be the same as the 4-DIGIT GAME CODE ON THE FRONT. Otherwise, if Nintendo were to put a different chip on them the came would not be Metroid Zero Mission, it would be that other game.
jE6Midz.jpg

This shot was a tremendous pain to get and reminds me how badly I need a proper (non-iPhone) camera.

What's important here is that on the chip below the battery (which should be easily visible on the vast majority of GBA games, since those ones do NOT have batteries on them) is the chip on which the game resides has the EXACT SAME CODE as we saw on the front of the game - here you can see it is GBMXE, with BMXE from the front corresponding to Metroid Zero Mission (I assume the other ones on the PCB are different if different games have different graphical requirements but someone should be free to correct me)

There is also a "-0" after the code and a G before it. I assumed the G was for GameBoy, but a few other games I had (all without batteries) did not have the G, just the 4-digit game code followed by -0. I assume the 0 is the version (as in some games had revisions since no updates or patches were could be released for games back in the day), but again, this is an area where I am not an expert.

What it comes down to is if you have the same four digit code on the chip INSIDE the cartridge, and the label/PCB looks like this (or the fonts are similar) then you have a legit cart. Fake carts have different colors on the PCB (based on what I have seen online), different fonts, and the contacts and overall look of the cartridges does not indicate quality.
zq21mhl.jpg

Again, please feel free to share the link to the album which has all of this text: http://imgur.com/a/DTdzc
Sorry about the watermarks, I've had people take pictures and use them on eBay before!

Anyone else with suggestions or insight, please chime in! I hope this helps you guys.

Nice writeup.

In my experience the most constant giveaway are the vias. For some reason counterfeits never get them right (to the best of my knowledge); they are all over the contacts instead of being aligned at the top.

On a side note, some people do not know but JP games do not have any sort of Seal of Authenticity. They are exclusive to EU and US versions.

Awesome write up, prateeko! Very helpful guide for spotting fakes.

Although on a side note it also bums me out because it confirms most GBA games used batteries instead of flash/EEPROM for saves? :/

v1perz53

This thread makes me so scared to order any GBA games from ebay, because it is often difficult/impossible to get a shot of the game opened up to see battery/contacts. Though I guess messaging the seller asking if the cart is genuine and having them say that it is would be proof enough for buyer protection to kick in?

I ordered Golden Sun: Lost Age a few months ago and thankfully it was genuine, but I was worried the whole time waiting for it to get to me!

Teknoman

This thread makes me so scared to order any GBA games from ebay, because it is often difficult/impossible to get a shot of the game opened up to see battery/contacts. Though I guess messaging the seller asking if the cart is genuine and having them say that it is would be proof enough for buyer protection to kick in?

I ordered Golden Sun: Lost Age a few months ago and thankfully it was genuine, but I was worried the whole time waiting for it to get to me!

Honestly its just a little hassle in that you've gotta get a refund and find another copy. With ebay or amazon, you'll never be stuck with a game. Its just the annoyance factor / if you arent educated on it.

baphomet

If you get a fake game you'll get your money back no matter what.

Just finished using a special ribbon cable to create a backlit GBA with 5 selectable brightness levels. Just thought I'd throw up some (not very good iPhone) pics to compare with the brighter setting on the AGS-101:

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting

Gentlemen, we have lift off! That looks great, nice work!

Just finished using a special ribbon cable to create a backlit GBA with 5 selectable brightness levels. Just thought I'd throw up some (not very good iPhone) pics to compare with the brighter setting on the AGS-101:

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting

Okay, now waste 10 batteries to find out how long a life each setting has. Great idea, amirite?
Bad idea.

All authentic Nintendo GBA games have a 2 digit (combination of number and/or letters) stamped onto the right side. Older games it may be harder to see if the label is damaged, but at an angle they should be visible.

Can this be possibly 2 numbers and a letter? I ended up with two copies of SMA4 for example, and one has 11A and the other 19A.

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting

Awesome. Got any room on that list?

Peagles

Awesome. Got any room on that list?

Technically, yes. I'm not asking anyone to commit until I contact them; I'm just going to go through the list in order until they are all sold. Being further down the list potentially means less options available to you, but because people could drop out, chances are you'll end up getting one.

Tamanator

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting

That looks great Peagles. I'm glad that the mod was a success and that you found a way to successfully order from taobao.

Also just thought that I'd reiterate that I'm interested if I'm not on the list.

Gunsmithx

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting

Awesome the other one will have 3 settings?

Peagles

That looks great Peagles. I'm glad that the mod was a success and that you found a way to successfully order from taobao.

Also just thought that I'd reiterate that I'm interested if I'm not on the list.

Yep you're on the list.

Awesome the other one will have 3 settings?

The plain mod just has a fixed brightness, but I usually put it on the brightest available point. I'll rig up a regular one to see which of the 5 levels it's equal to. My guess is either 3 or 4 though.

Technically, yes. I'm not asking anyone to commit until I contact them; I'm just going to go through the list in order until they are all sold. Being further down the list potentially means less options available to you, but because people could drop out, chances are you'll end up getting one.
Ok then I'll take a spot! Would much rather buy from a GAFer than someone on eBay. Thanks Peagles.

The plain mod just has a fixed brightness, but I usually put it on the brightest available point. I'll rig up a regular one to see which of the 5 levels it's equal to. My guess is either 3 or 4 though.

How is the brightness toggled anyway? Forgive me if I missed you already explaining it.

putermcgee

Dimmest setting
(1):

(2):

(3):

(4):

(5):

Brightest setting
Looks great, and gotta love that midnight blue GBA.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh nice - I had no idea there was a non-GBC version of Pocket Bomberman!

I should have Bomberman GB and Bomberman Quest coming this week. Only one more to go for me to feel good about my Bomberman collection. I LOVE me some Bomberman. Also have Circle of the Moon coming this week, along with GBC: Bionic Commando, DW3, Quest for Camelot, R-Type DX, and GB: FF Legend 3. Need to find a good priced DW1&2 while I'm at it...

v1perz53

Oh nice - I had no idea there was a non-GBC version of Pocket Bomberman!

I should have Bomberman GB and Bomberman Quest coming this week. Only one more to go for me to feel good about my Bomberman collection. I LOVE me some Bomberman. Also have Circle of the Moon coming this week, along with GBC: Bionic Commando, DW3, Quest for Camelot, R-Type DX, and GB: FF Legend 3. Need to find a good priced DW1&2 while I'm at it...

God I want R-Type DX so badly, I owned it as a kid and have no idea where the cart went. Happened with a lot of games, I have 3 boxes for DW1&2 in my collection but only one cartridge. I still remember the day I got DW1&2, I was in 5th grade and I bought it based on the cover because I was into Pokemon and it looked kind of the same. What a fantastic mistake that was, absolutely loved 1&2 and 3 on GBC.

I think by biggest GB/GBC/GBA related regret is that one day in High School when I thought I was too cool for all that stuff I threw out a huge stack of mint condition strategy guides. I had everything from the original pokemon to DW1&2, Zelda Ages/Seasons, etc. Would've been great to go back through them and reminisce. I even had a magazine that went through something like 200 different GB/GBC games, which was really awesome.

Mzo

Good lord, are you guys even playing all this stuff?

R-Type DX is cool because it has the GB R-Type I and II, both in original and GBC enhanced modes.

Top Bottom