• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

prateeko

Will do. It's an official faceplate.

Ocassionaly I've had to remove and re-insert the faceplate because it gets into a quasi-out position. I would try that first if I were you.

Also in other news, I bought some nice, clear, game protectors and they came in! I spent the better part of the night getting out ALL of my current boxed games (I didn't realize I'd built up so many over the course of the last 6-10 months during which time I started rebuilding my collection nearly a half decade after I was completely robbed - also didn't realize how much it would cost!). I will post pics later but they're amazing!

LAM09

Ocassionaly I've had to remove and re-insert the faceplate because it gets into a quasi-out position. I would try that first if I were you.

The faceplate is loose in the top left hand corner, so i presume it must have something to do with the clip. It seems like a weird issue, as it clips on the right hand side, and the bottom left hand corner ok.

prateeko

The faceplate is loose in the top left hand corner, so i presume it must have something to do with the clip. It seems like a weird issue, as it clips on the right hand side, and the bottom left hand corner ok.

I would start by inserting that clip first when you are re-inserting the faceplate since it may end up fitting in if that's less easily manipulated as compared to the rest of the clips.

ALSO, without further ado, here are the pics (I have waited a long time to get my current boxed collection together!).

The first one shows the clear protector. Unlike some of the other ones designed to fit large CDs (back when CDs were still prominent...), these are spot on the size of GB/GBC/GBA cases. So much so that any games I have with the wrapping still present (or sealed) the fit was super snug getting in. There are some sub-standard boxes which I've been meaning to replace, but until such time these clear protectors make them look at LOT batter! The shots of the whole collection does not do justice to how they improve the look of all the boxes (those in excellent condition and substandard alike).

Example
j7z1yO2.jpg

Overview
ru03tb4.jpg

Close up 1

aO02gcs.jpg

Close up 2
9yg2Ayc.jpg

Close up 3
gwUtojJ.jpg

Close up 4
qn1UF1k.jpg

Looking at it from an angle <3

nU8Ntnm.jpg

LAM09

I would start by inserting that clip first when you are re-inserting the faceplate since it may end up fitting in if that's less easily manipulated as compared to the rest of the clips.

I've tried that aswell, but no luck. Whenever I try to push the faceplate onto the screen, it just recoils back out. Weird issue, it would seem.

Could it have something to do with the faceplate ejector holes?

ALSO, without further ado, here are the pics (I have waited a long time to get my current boxed collection together!).

The first one shows the clear protector. Unlike some of the other ones designed to fit large CDs (back when CDs were still prominent...), these are spot on the size of GB/GBC/GBA cases. So much so that any games I have with the wrapping still present (or sealed) the fit was super snug getting in. There are some sub-standard boxes which I've been meaning to replace, but until such time these clear protectors make them look at LOT batter! The shots of the whole collection does not do justice to how they improve the look of all the boxes (those in excellent condition and substandard alike).

2 things. 1) i am jealous of your boxes and 2) how is lunar? i loved silver star on the ps1

jooso

Mostly thanks to this thread, I ordered a backlit GBA from an Amazon seller. My first Game Boy since I bought a GB Light four years ago. I thought five Game Boys would be enough! Haven't bought an Advance game since 2009 either, and I fear the prices have gone up even more.
Down the rabbit hole once again..

Xhorder

I was recently listening to the Retronauts episodes about Yasumi Matsuno and Ivalice and remembered the loooong ass night shifts I used to play FF Tactics Advance. I popped it back into my Micro, more than 80 hours into the game and I did not even finish it. I'm inclined the finish this sucker, more than 11 years later.

(and wow the sharpness of this screen is still amazing, I mostly used to play on a SP)

Peagles

I checked again, and it seems like the one that is causing the issue is too straight. What is the best to try and push the clip up a bit?

Can't say I've ever attempted it. Something that is small enough to play around in there but soft enough not to scratch or break anything would be ideal. I assume you just wiggle it til it looks like the side that clicks properly. It's possible the little mechanism has already been damaged though and that's why it won't click in.

Dagon

Overview
ru03tb4.jpg

Wow! Awesome collection. Putting that together must have taken a lot of time. I've been getting back into GBA and some of those games are hard to get hold of in good condition.

Peagles

Just finished testing the AGS-101 LCDs I have currently. All are working, with accurate colour, no dead or stuck pixels, and no marks, so I'm very happy.

Over the next few days I will be adding up the costs, checking international postage, and getting in touch with people on the list so far.

I'm still waiting on some more LCDs, glass lenses, and keeping an eye out for more systems to mod, but things are looking good. They won't be cheap, but they'll be made with love.

Gunsmithx

Just finished testing the AGS-101 LCDs I have currently. All are working, with accurate colour, no dead or stuck pixels, and no marks, so I'm very happy.

Over the next few days I will be adding up the costs, checking international postage, and getting in touch with people on the list so far.

I'm still waiting on some more LCDs, glass lenses, and keeping an eye out for more systems to mod, but things are looking good. They won't be cheap, but they'll be made with love.

Yay! Thats great to hear, can't wait to see em.

They all claimed already? :3

LAM09

Can't say I've ever attempted it. Something that is small enough to play around in there but soft enough not to scratch or break anything would be ideal. I assume you just wiggle it til it looks like the side that clicks properly. It's possible the little mechanism has already been damaged though and that's why it won't click in.

Ok, thanks. I will try to see if I can adjust the clip somehow.

DontBlink

Nope :(
That and Pokémon Pinball (GBC) are caseless, which is mildly infuriating. Anyone know of any place to get a cover for either of those?

I believe Het_Nkik once mentioned getting some cases for the larger boxes but I'm not sure how they went, would be interested in finding out ass well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll be eager to hear how BK holds up. Picked up the cart not too long ago and planning to replay it.

Gonna give that a shot after Kong (which is surprisingly fun). Also, I think I'm going to post pics of some test paint options tomorrow. I'm working on coating some spoons to get some ideas.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That looks great! I like the two-tone aesthetic.

nicoga3000's post reminds me I wanted to pick up Pinball of the Dead.

$3 haha. I'm a pinball nut, so when I saw it, I knew I needed it. Then I saw 2 other pinball games and knew I was sold. I hope the games are fun...

Any other unique oddities I should hunt down? Fixing to search out resident evil, but I want some other non-super popular titles.

prateeko

Havent gotten mine yet, no. Tracking hasnt even updated so who knows.

Did pick up Megaman Xtreme while I was out. Tough to play even on a GBLight hah.

Me neither. I noticed they've sold a bunch more since then. Shall see how it turns out, but I went in knowing full well there was a decent probability I could need to utilize eBay's buyer protection stuff (but it is actually quite good and has worked out without fail for me when I, rarely, have been screwed over by a seller).

My latest pickup. Snagged this for €80. The box has some wear but the GBA, charger and complete game are in like new condition.

949ba8c18f31d2debc9ca73f2bbe664b38af4a9b.png
Super jealous. That's a great pickup at a fantastic price.

That looks great! I like the two-tone aesthetic.
I like it too. However being somewhat CDO I wish the section of the hinge being part of the top was black and not red so it would be uniform.

Super jealous. That's a great pickup at a fantastic price.
Thanks. I got very lucky on this one. Initially I only wanted the game CIB, but considering it was nowhere to be found in good condition under &#8364;60 I thought it would be worth it to fork out the extra cash, especially considering all the other sellers are pricing this Bokura no Taiyou Edition &#8364;180+.

v1perz53

However being somewhat CDO

I see what you did there. I just pulled the plug and ordered an AGS-101 myself, got one in full Onyx Black on ebay from a guy with a ton of perfect feedback. Description says the casing is replaced to be brand new, hopefully it is all in order when it comes in. After thinking for a while, I honestly like the form factor of the SP so much more than the OG GBA, and my AGS-001s still hold a charge perfectly fine, so hopefully this one will last until people are making repro batteries.

Borman

Me neither. I noticed they've sold a bunch more since then. Shall see how it turns out, but I went in knowing full well there was a decent probability I could need to utilize eBay's buyer protection stuff (but it is actually quite good and has worked out without fail for me when I, rarely, have been screwed over by a seller).

Yep I agree. Either we make out with something decent, or we get stuck with a clone and get the money back. I have that message I posted earlier that said it was real, so they have to stick by it.

I see what you did there. I just pulled the plug and ordered an AGS-101 myself, got one in full Onyx Black on ebay from a guy with a ton of perfect feedback. Description says the casing is replaced to be brand new, hopefully it is all in order when it comes in. After thinking for a while, I honestly like the form factor of the SP so much more than the OG GBA, and my AGS-001s still hold a charge perfectly fine, so hopefully this one will last until people are making repro batteries.
I never pulled the plug on the AGS-101. Owning two GAME BOY micros and wanting to keep the expenses towards this collection reasonable, I thought to myself it was more important to focus on the games than the hardware. To add to that, in my experience it is not that easy these days to find a vanilla 101 — many of them seem to be modded 001s or 101s with third party casings which I do not like since the finish can be a bit rough and the hinge tends to be of lesser quality than the original.

I agree on the SP being a nice form factor. I especially like the clicky buttons which makes playing certain games more comfortable. That being said, the micro in spite of it's imperfections remains my favorite GBA.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I suppose this is the place to ask: does anyone know where I can find a copy of Onimusha Tactics? I've never seen one online, never in a store, never met anyone who had a copy. I really want to play it, though.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I just did a quick search on eBay and there's plenty of copies from what I can see.

It's been years since used eBay, I guess I'd forgotten about it. Did you notice any complete ones?

DontBlink

I suppose this is the place to ask: does anyone know where I can find a copy of Onimusha Tactics? I've never seen one online, never in a store, never met anyone who had a copy. I really want to play it, though.

I got mine on eBay a while ago, probably your best bet.

batrush

Recent pickups. The SP (101) arrived today. It's flawless, but the shell was replaced. I'm a little disappointed with the quality; compared to an authentic shell, it just feels cheap. Especially those hinges -- good god. LTTP was CIB, though it's not pictured.

bT0UKmx.jpg

I was thinking to myself lately about the capacity loss problem with SP batteries, and in one of my kinda crazy, random "what if?" moments I thought to myself, "Would it be possible to mod an SP and it's compartment to take a more standard square battery like a nine volt style model like a PP3 or 6LR61, ect?" I seriously wonder now if anyone in the modding community has ever tried something like that?

Edit: Now THIS is interesting, this guy modded his SP to take a DSi 2000 mAh battery for about twice the battery life, guy says it required no soldering and just some basic, careful exacto knife work:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/14373/gbasp-dsi-battery-mod/

TnK

Completely forgot about you guys preferring aria when I asked which is better, dawn or aria.

You guys have good taste :D

Top Bottom