• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

This makes me sad:

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk...ive-o-for-gameboy-advance-very-very-very-rare

How much do you think seller got from Cash Converters for the game?

The US version sold on eBay for around that much recently and it was complete.

Maybe if I had a big surplus of cash then sure, I'd consider paying to add into my collection but ehhh not right now.

It's annoying though. It's one of those games with such a shit tier title I know I would've just ignored it back then. Who would've thought.

Speaking of which, what would be the maximum price you guys and gals would pay for a game?

Depends on the game. I've spent enough on Limited Edition imports so $100+ is not out of the realm for me.

Ultima_5

Speaking of which, what would be the maximum price you guys and gals would pay for a game?

the most i've spent on a gameboy game (not counting new and when gb games were current) was about $20? I think it was for dq3? not 100% sure though.

a few weeks back i got earthbound for $140 though... a little high, but it was in good shape

i'm tempted to get that medabots rpg game for the gba for about $27 though. I have one of the versions and loved it as a kid. would love to replay it, but i dont want to delete my save!

I'm all about the loose cartridges. I don't like displaying game boxes, I think it's tacky as fuck.

I keep my GBA/GBA/NGPC in a fake book container. I keep my vita/ds/3ds games in small cloth bags. They take no space at all, much more convenient.

I'm all about the loose cartridges. I don't like displaying game boxes, I think it's tacky as fuck.

I keep my GBA/GBA/NGPC in a fake book container. I keep my vita/ds/3ds games in small cloth bags. They take no space at all, much more convenient.

If you ever get a boxed game, what do you usually do with the box?

Dagon

This is a question I ask myself often lately. I'm contemplating getting Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and most of the legit-looking boxed copies I see are £40+. I'd like to get Harmony of Dissonance as well and that's not much better.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
First my game related post...New pickup!

AWDzez3jJTiQHnXMbmRPw-T68781-aPjtQ2dOq9p70c=w1083-h802-no

And second, I finished my test spoons for my new GBA SP paint job!

Before:

After:

Maybe it's a little corny/cliche, but I'm going to chrome my SP, haha. Pics aren't perfect, but the idea is there!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
looking forward to the finished product, nicoga

Thanks - I'm trying to decide if I want to disassemble my current SP or just buy a Chinese knockoff from eBay for like $8 with new everything and paint that. It would mean I could keep my current system up and running over the course of the week it's going to take to make this happen.

prateeko

Nothing until the past day or two, which indicates that it has finally made it on a plane.

They're probably using carrier pigeon at the rate it's coming at. They ended up having A LOT more auctions so the only benefit we had was buying (relatively) early, although how it pans out still remains to be seen. Needless to say, I am not terribly optimistic but at htis point I would just like the delivery

Oh gawd this is going to take forever. What updates/activity have you had from your end?

This is pretty typical of stuff ordered from China. You get a tracking number, it gets thrown on a boat, and you won't hear anything until it lands 2 or more weeks later.

Just wait, be patient, it'll arrive.

prateeko

Yeah, the super cheap one that showed up from the super-deal place. Looks like they ended up selling 40 of those and now that same seller has the most fake Pokémon games for sale (surprise suprirse).

As for timing, the stuff I've ordered from Lee_Chan shows up pretty quickly.

Peagles

I'll try put some pics up later, but I've just been comparing the regular mod AGB-101 (attached to the brightest know point) to this new multi-brightness one, and the multi-brightness one definitely goes brighter. Brightness level 3 is equal to the regular mod, and levels p4 and 5 are brighter.

I'll try put some pics up later, but I've just been comparing the regular mod AGB-101 (attached to the brightest know point) to this new multi-brightness one, and the multi-brightness one definitely goes brighter. Brightness level 3 is equal to the regular mod, and levels p4 and 5 are brighter.

Sweet! This will be the Godzilla of GBA mods.

Regarding your 'money allocation limit' I always find it an interesting question to ask.

I only collect JP GBA CIB games that are in the best condition possible, so I have to spend a bit more in general compared to those who collect their local editions. Although I do get lucky from time to time; this year I managed to get Tsuukin Hitofude (Polarium Advance) for €2, Kuru Kuru Kururin for €8 or Wario Land Advance for €12 amongst a few others.

Like most people I always try to look out for a good deal and in general I try to stay under €30. But if it's a game I really want that's in a condition that satisfies me, I don't mind spending the money. This would be the case for games such as Mother 3, The Zelda games and the Rockman Zero series.

At one point, I had the opportunity to get a brand new, unopened GBA SP Famicom Edition for €280, which is a price I have never seen before (usually €500+ in my experience). I nearly bit. In the end I decided that I would rather spend that money on games that I will play rather than a system that I would not touch very often in order to preserve it. Sometimes I do feel a bit regretful on that decision though. Such a beautiful system.

lol, it's not like flattening it will damage it.

probably safer to store them that way than assembled

Depends on who and how one flattens it... I don't trust people enough and I certainly don't trust those on eBay who offer to send as flat packed. I'd rather pay an extra £1 to get it sent in a sturdy box.

I guess I am just more strict. I dislike buying incomplete games, and that usually means any missing Nintendo Info leagfets or promo material. I have bitten on a few, but I prefer to avoid those situations.

Regarding your 'money allocation limit' I always find it an interesting question to ask.

I only collect JP GBA CIB games that are in the best condition possible, so I have to spend a bit more in general compared to those who collect their local editions. Although I do get lucky from time to time; this year I managed to get Tsuukin Hitofude (Polarium Advance) for €2, Kuru Kuru Kururin for €8 or Wario Land Advance for €12 amongst a few others.

Like most people I always try to look out for a good deal and in general I try to stay under €30. But if it's a game I really want that's in a condition that satisfies me, I don't mind spending the money. This would be the case for games such as Mother 3, The Zelda games and the Rockman Zero series.

At one point, I had the opportunity to get a brand new, unopened GBA SP Famicom Edition for €280, which is a price I have never seen before (usually €500+ in my experience). I nearly bit. In the end I decided that I would rather spend that money on games that I will play rather than a system that I would not touch very often in order to preserve it. Sometimes I do feel a bit regretful on that decision though. Such a beautiful system.

Weren't there a couple of different Famicom SPs? I like the burgundy-and-gold one (looked like the controller) WAAAY more than the white-and-burgundy one (modeled after the console).

Weren't there a couple of different Famicom SPs? I like the burgundy-and-gold one (looked like the controller) WAAAY more than the white-and-burgundy one (modeled after the console).
Indeed there was.

In my case it was the original Famicom SP that was only available through Club Nintendo. There were only 3000 units made if memory serves well, amongst which 1000 Hot Mario versions.

The other model you are referring to is the Famicom Color SP. This was a commercially available version. I am not very fond of it, personally.

Xhorder

Just got these games in the mail. I used to own one of the Oracle games around the time it came out, but I sold it a year later together with my first GBA. Now I have both of them and possibly no time to play. Still, I love the GameBoy Color cartridges, they have the perfect size.

Peltz

How's the refresh rate on the Micro? I have an GBA SP AGS-001 and a GBA SP AGS-101 (black model user-modded from ebay) and I find that the AGS-101 has serious ghosting issues. Running in Super Mario Advance games makes the screen look like smeared grossness (possibly due to the modder's fault). My AGS-001 doesn't look like that (but of course, it's not back lit so it's still not ideal).

I almost exclusively rock the GB Player these days, but are the GB Micro screens the best official portable screens out there for GBA games? How about the DS Lite? Which provides the better picture quality?

I skipped over the original DS models for the DSiXL, then jumped straight to the 3DS, but I sort of regret having never actually played a GBA game on DS hardware. Advice?

OnPoint

RCG faceplates came in today

They feel similarly to the real face plates (the black one in the bag is my actual faceplate).

They also have a nice matte finish on them.

All in all, aside from the shipping cost, I'm happy with these.

B.K.

I wanted to get some of the RCG faceplates until I found out that there's glue on the back and you can't remove it after you put it on.

Peagles

Actually now that I compare them again the multi-brightness GBA is actually brighter at level 3 compared to the standard mod at highest known brightness. Pics to come...

Top Bottom