• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Good lord, are you guys even playing all this stuff?

R-Type DX is cool because it has the GB R-Type I and II, both in original and GBC enhanced modes.

I'm building a collection while I play. Get the games I really want now for a decent price. Who knows if they'll go up or down, but if I can get a good deal...

Peagles

Ok then I'll take a spot! Would much rather buy from a GAFer than someone on eBay. Thanks Peagles.

Added! Like I've mentioned before I can't make them as cheap as eBay sellers, but I can make them with love (I make them all to a standard that I'd be happy with myself, I won't leave last night's dinner under the screen lens, etc, lol).

How is the brightness toggled anyway? Forgive me if I missed you already explaining it.

Hold down select and press L to scroll through. It works really nicely actually.

Can I get on this list? I'll ask questions later but I'm very interested in a modded GBA :p

Sure!

womp

Added! Like I've mentioned before I can't make them as cheap as eBay sellers, but I can make them with love (I make them all to a standard that I'd be happy with myself, I won't leave last night's dinner under the screen lens, etc, lol).

Hold down select and press L to scroll through. It works really nicely actually.

Sure!

How much are you charging for one, total, sent to the US?

Just curious.

Borman

New game day!
qF7jE2m.jpg

(Gameboy Wars)

I still need to check postage rates actually, thanks for reminding me! I'll get back to you when I find out.

I feel like you could put copious amounts of bubble wrap on it and stick it in a padded mailer, and mail it USPS First Class pretty cheaply.

Or it may even fit in the small flat rate USPS Priority Mail box for $5.XX (I can't quite remember the width, if the inside width is enough to accomdate the system and bubble wrap, but it may be). And then it'll even come with $50 worth of insurance.

Anyway this is your operation so I'll be quiet.

Peagles

I feel like you could put copious amounts of bubble wrap on it and stick it in a padded mailer, and mail it USPS First Class pretty cheaply.

Or it may even fit in the small flat rate USPS Priority Mail box for $5.XX (I can't quite remember the width, if the inside width is enough to accomdate the system and bubble wrap, but it may be). And then it'll even come with $50 worth of insurance.

Anyway this is your operation so I'll be quiet.

I'm not in the US though :p

B.K.

Just finished using a special ribbon cable to create a backlit GBA with 5 selectable brightness levels. Just thought I'd throw up some (not very good iPhone) pics to compare with the brighter setting on the AGS-101:

Looks good. Just a question though. How bright is the highest setting compared to the 101? I never can judge the brightness from pictures.

Peagles

Looks good. Just a question though. How bright is the highest setting compared to the 101? I never can judge the brightness from pictures.

To be honest because the screens are different temperatures I'm having trouble judging it even in person, but it seems about even with the brightest setting.

Borman

It's actually really fun too. I haven't quite figured everything out (damn Transport vehicles), but there is minimal Japanese knowledge needed simply because there is so little text. I'd like to import a wholesale lot of GB/GBC games from Japan at some point, tons of great stuff that doesn't need actual Japanese knowledge. Although Id prefer them to be boxed :\

Need to open my Mario Picross 2 and replace the battery sometime too...

That's cool. Like I said, I'd much rather buy from a GAFer and support quality work. Didn't realize you weren't in the US (Merica-centric worldview confirmed) but if it's too rich for my blood, I'll just pass my slot along to the next retro gamer in line.

TnK

Awesome stuff peagles, can't wait for that PM ;)

The screens have almost no ghosting no? How about the screen quality?

Ultima_5

So I didn't realize the SP had no headphones slot. Is there an adapter or something out there that anyone suggests?

There's one on amazon, but i'm not sure of the quality. this is something i've been looking into lately. I just searched "gameboy sp headphone adapter"

pretty sure there was an official one at one point... might check ebay

Borman

Yes, there is an official adapter. It was one of the big downsides to the SP when it was released, as the adapter was tough to find in most places.

I read the purpose of the headphone port omission was to appease 3rd parties like pelican, interact, and madcatz. Since SP "fixed" most of the problems they made solutions for (worm lights, battery packs, etc.).

Not sure how true that is, or Nintendo just cutting costs.

Grizzo

Yeah there was an official adapter by Nintendo, I own one, it looks like that:

I remember being pretty mad at Nintendo for making me buy this, especially since I was a kid and didn't really have much money, haha.

Didn't keep the box or booklet but found a picture of it on eBay

mQud58SVWXAxBi0edOHAsSw.jpg

maxcriden

Just for the game. It would be nice to have CIB, but i'm not that adamant about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend much on it in that case. It's really lean on content IIRC. Apparently takes about 2 hours to beat, I just checked HLTB (which is a great site, incidentally).

So I am an on-again off-again retro collector - mainly NES and SNES stuff over the years. I still have my original GameBoy and several games, plus my GBA games (many CIB). But I've never collected original GB stuff. This thread and the thought of getting a backlit GBA (sold mine when I got a DS years ago) got to me browsing eBay.

And I was surprised that CIB listings aren't outrageously expensive. Some are, certainly. But overall it doesn't look like the crazy inflation you see with SNES and early NES games. It seems doable.

Ultima_5

So I am an on-again off-again retro collector - mainly NES and SNES stuff over the years. I still have my original GameBoy and several games, plus my GBA games (many CIB). But I've never collected original GB stuff. This thread and the thought of getting a backlit GBA (sold mine when I got a DS years ago) got to me browsing eBay.

And I was surprised that CIB listings aren't outrageously expensive. Some are, certainly. But overall it doesn't look like the crazy inflation you see with SNES and early NES games. It seems doable.

if you go cart only, you can get an excellent collection for barely anything. I've dropped maybe $50 in the last two months and have gotten a ton of great games.

Yeah, I've never been one to be very concerned about boxes. I feel like they're nice to have for really special games, but otherwise they're just taking up a ton of space.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
if you go cart only, you can get an excellent collection for barely anything. I've dropped maybe $50 in the last two months and have gotten a ton of great games.

Yeah, I've spent no more than $100 and have a nice backlit GBA SP and a growing collection of great games. I enjoy how cheap this is versus other retro collecting.

You do have to worry about fakes a lot with gba games though for some reason. Odd for a straight cart based thing.

Are there any good fake boxes for display purposes, like the bit boxes for nes and snes games?

Ultima_5

You do have to worry about fakes a lot with gba games though for some reason. Odd for a straight cart based thing.

Are there any good fake boxes for display purposes, like the bit boxes for nes and snes games?

i linked earlier in the thread to some custom made DS game cases which can store gba and regular gb games. then simply go to the cover project and print 'em up.

i haven't done this as I would have to make 100ish boxes and i simply don't have the room for them all

Rich!

Hm. Time to buy some new batteries, my old rechargeable AAs are dying (they're two years old at least).

Duracells are damn cheap right now on amazon, 2400mah, pack of 4. £8

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ninja Five-O is fantastic.

But that price is ridiculous. I'd have trouble recommending ANY game at that price.

It's sad to say that the only way I'll likely ever get to play it is through less than kosher means. But it's like Kid Dracula - I'd love to own it, but not at $50 or whatever the going rate on it is.

Craft

It's sad to say that the only way I'll likely ever get to play it is through less than kosher means. But it's like Kid Dracula - I'd love to own it, but not at $50 or whatever the going rate on it is.

I dunno, the fact that this copy was most likely traded in by someone who didn't know the actual value of the game does give me some hope that I'll come across it at a car boot or charity shop at some point.

Top Bottom