• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Is "Perfect Dark" for GBC any good? I love to bits the N64 original and this game looks a lot like the excellent MGS: GB but I remember PD for GBC not getting the same great reviews.
I'm pretty sure I owned it years back and enjoyed it (got stuck somewhere though and never went back). I think it was a bigger cart, physically, for some reason.

Peagles

I'm pretty sure I owned it years back and enjoyed it (got stuck somewhere though and never went back). I think it was a bigger cart, physically, for some reason.

Rumble!

It's a decent game. Nice technical stuff for GBC for sure but I didn't have a lot of fun with it. It's decent though!

v1perz53

I would pay whole dollars (as many as three of them!) for a replacement battery cover for my copy of Pokemon Pinball. Irritates me so much that it is missing, curse my childhood self.

I would pay whole dollars (as many as three of them!) for a replacement battery cover for my copy of Pokemon Pinball. Irritates me so much that it is missing, curse my childhood self.

I wonder why 3rd parties don't sell them. I've seen aftermarket battery covers for the systems.

redhairedking

I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but can someone explain or give me a link to where I can find some info about the best way to use the gamecube gameboy player on an hdtv?

I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but can someone explain or give me a link to where I can find some info about the best way to use the gamecube gameboy player on an hdtv?
Peagles is my go-to expert on this, but I'll try to chime in here. You need a GameCube, component cable (or RGB scart cable if you have a PAL system), and Gameboy Player and ability to run homebrew. You don't need to mod your system, you can buy a CodeJunkies memory card that can run homebrew via SD card. There's an app that allows you to force 240p. You also need either a Sony PVM I believe or a scaler like XRGB mini. I'm not sure if it'll work on a normal CRT TV, but it may.

I'm currently on my way to running this. Currently have a Gamecube, RGB scart cable and GB Player. Need a scaler and a memory card that has a SD card slot.

Peagles

Pancakes R Us has covered this pretty well. For a lot of people "the best way" (on an HDTV as you say) is a bit prohibitive financially, but here it is:

GC + GB Player + RGB SCART cable (or component cable if your GC is NTSC) + Upscaler + Forced 240p resolution via Swiss

An upscaler in the XRGB series is ideal. Pretty much all other (cheaper) ones are junk.

Another option that isn't the best but is still tolerable for most people is:
GC + GB Player + component cable (if your TV accepts 240p through component you could also force this but I'm not sure if it'd improve picture quality on an HDTV)

If you have a CRT (most accept 240p over component) you can also do:
GC + GB Player + RGB SCART cable (or component cable if your GC is NTSC) + Forced 240p resolution via Swiss

If you have a PVM, the method above is godly.

For 240p forcing you need a method of booting into Swiss (a homebrew tool, which among other things allows you to force resolution types). This can be done with a modded GC or with a device like Datel's SD Media Launcher which allows you to boot Swiss off SD card without modification to your console.

If you have a CRT (most accept 240p over component) you can also do:
GC + GB Player + RGB SCART cable (or component cable if your GC is NTSC) + Forced 240p resolution via Swiss

If you have a PVM, the method above is godly.

With the component cable being ludicrously expensive, it's worth mentioning that S-Video has very good picture quality compared to composite and the cables are dirt cheap.

Peagles

Well the reason I asked is I was led to believe part of why everyone was so hyped about it is that it's RGB native

Do you mean it has RGB SCART output as well as HDMI?

I can't give my opinion on a comparison because I don't own one (and don't intend to buy one).

I'd always recommend original systems over emulation. But if one wanted to use a emulator through a TV, I'd go with a PC instead of something like the RetroN5.

v1perz53

God, it really blows my mind how great GB/GBC/GBA games look on a backlit model compared to the old front-lit SP that I grew up with, the colors seem so washed out in comparison. Even compared to the backlit OG DS, the screen on my AGS-101 looks so much better, and the colors pop much more. Wario Ware on the backlit SP is blowing me away. So happy with this purchase. Makes me really want a backlit OG model GBA, but I can't justify the price places are asking now that screen supplies have dried up, especially for a form factor that is less comfortable to me than the SP.

Also all you guys hating on the GBC don't know what you're talking about, my clear purple GBC is a thing of beauty! I have so many memories of long car rides with that thing, so many weird worm lights and magnifying glass lights to play in the dark.

putermcgee

Also all you guys hating on the GBC don't know what you're talking about, my clear purple GBC is a thing of beauty! I have so many memories of long car rides with that thing, so many weird worm lights and magnifying glass lights to play in the dark.
For me, it was a step backwards from the GBP. The screen was smaller, and the back bulged out because of the batteries. Also, I hated the idea of using a worm light or screen magnifier, so never did.

Another part of it was that it came out so soon after I had bought my GBP, so I didn't have enough money to get yet another handheld. There are some GBC-only games I definitely like, but I'm glad I skipped over the GBC in terms of hardware. If there ever comes a backlight solution for the GBC, maybe I'll sing another tune.

v1perz53

For me, it was a step backwards from the GBP. The screen was smaller, and the back bulged out because of the batteries. Also, I hated the idea of using a worm light or screen magnifier, so never did.

Another part of it was that it came out so soon after I had bought my GBP, so I didn't have enough money to get yet another handheld. There are some GBC-only games I definitely like, but I'm glad I skipped over the GBC in terms of hardware. If there ever comes a backlight solution for the GBC, maybe I'll sing another tune.

I personally found the back bulge to be more comfortable to hold as a kid, it gave my hands something more substantial to wrap around. Honestly never knew that the GBC screen was smaller than the GBP until you just mentioned it, and I owned both. Learn something new every day! And the magnifying lights and worm lights were a blessing, they didn't exist (as far as I know) for the GB Pocket and the contrast switch didn't let me play that in the dark at all, so the GBC took me from being completely unable to play at night to being able to play with a silly peripheral (GB Light didn't exist in america). And I was too addicted to Pokemon as a kid to skip the GBC, had to have that Gold/Silver!

But I guess I can see the downsides to the GBC, especially for older people who had to actually buy their own systems (I was still young enough that every game system was a gift, not purchased by myself).

I personally found the back bulge to be more comfortable to hold as a kid, it gave my hands something more substantial to wrap around.

ZSvsT7Z.jpg

putermcgee

I personally found the back bulge to be more comfortable to hold as a kid, it gave my hands something more substantial to wrap around. Honestly never knew that the GBC screen was smaller than the GBP until you just mentioned it, and I owned both. Learn something new every day! And the magnifying lights and worm lights were a blessing, they didn't exist (as far as I know) for the GB Pocket and the contrast switch didn't let me play that in the dark at all, so the GBC took me from being completely unable to play at night to being able to play with a silly peripheral (GB Light didn't exist in america). And I was too addicted to Pokemon as a kid to skip the GBC, had to have that Gold/Silver!

But I guess I can see the downsides to the GBC, especially for older people who had to actually buy their own systems (I was still young enough that every game system was a gift, not purchased by myself).
The resolutions were the same, but the GBC screen is just slightly smaller. I guess since I did most of my gaming in study hall, there was always sufficient lighting for me. Plus, I literally carried the thing in my pocket, so the smaller size was necessary.

I can see how smaller hands might prefer the bulge in the back, and I definitely can't fault anyone for wanting to collect their Pokemans in color. I think that's another reason I skipped over the GBC and also the Gold/Silver generation. By the time it came out in America, the GBA was already announced, and I was more interested in that. After putting in so many hours with Red/Blue, I was ready for a break.

v1perz53

The resolutions were the same, but the GBC screen is just slightly smaller. I guess since I did most of my gaming in study hall, there was always sufficient lighting for me. Plus, I literally carried the thing in my pocket, so the smaller size was necessary.

Makes sense. I did most of my gaming in the car at night, as my family drove to or from random vacation destinations or relatives houses far away. I am still convinced the reason I am so attached to GameBoy and handheld gaming is because of how many trips I was forced to go on with my family hah.

redhairedking

With the component cable being ludicrously expensive, it's worth mentioning that S-Video has very good picture quality compared to composite and the cables are dirt cheap.

Pardon my ignorance, but which cable was bundled with the gamecube? My gamecube isn't at my current place of residence, but I am planning on picking it up next time I'm back home.

v1perz53

Pardon my ignorance, but which cable was bundled with the gamecube? My gamecube isn't at my current place of residence, but I am planning on picking it up next time I'm back home.

The composite cable (Red/White/Yellow) came bundled with the GameCube (at least in NA). The component cable (Red/Blue/Green and Red/White) is a very expensive cable that you have to buy separately, and S video is fairly cheap, as several 3rd party cables I own have this as an option, but was not bundled with the system. Not sure what was standard for anything other than NA though.

Supposedly the quality of 3rd party GCN S-video cables vary wildly. Folks in the GCN recommend tracking down official Nintendo cables, or even the Monster ones are supposed to be good. Best Buy must have over-anticipated the demand for the Monster cables because I remember them clearancing them out for cheap. They were probably a ripoff at MSRP knowing the brand though.

redhairedking

from the webpage:

I hope you don't intend to use it with Gamecube.
Gamecube component cables have a proprietary DAC chip in them. Third parties never attempted to duplicate that.

Wow I need to learn how to read. Looks like I'll probably have to shell out the cash for the official cable then

Teknoman

I just snagged a purple GBA original as well and im contemplating getting it back light modded. I still need to see if I like how the original feels vs the SP 101.

B.K.

I've been playing around with Peagles's GBA for a bit. Here are my impressions, so far.

• From what I can tell, looking at them side by side, the highest brightness setting on Peagles's mod is pretty close to an AGS-101.
  • The colors are a bit cooler on the screen Peagles used, so the colors aren't exactly the same, but they're close.
  • Colors aren't as oversaturated at the highest setting as they are on the AGS-101
  • The viewing angle is a little bit worse than the AGS-101. If you tilt the unit forward, the screen washes out sooner than the AGS-101.
  • No more motion blur or ghosting than on the AGS-101

Peagles

Interesting about the colour temps! The screens I've been using in these mods are a lot warmer than my AGS-101 units, so it's interesting to hear the opposite with your AGS-101.

Edit: I wonder if the difference viewing angle is caused by the larger gap between the lens and the LCD on the AGB?

Haha sorry I changed my wording to be a bit clearer, same difference though. My AGS-101s are from the US though since I don't think they came out here. One of them has AUS on it but the rest are USA and they're all very cool compared to the AGB LCDs.

Don't worry. I suck at taking pictures too. For every pic I post here, there's 20 or so I've deleted trying to get it right.

B.K.

Interesting about the colour temps! My AGS-101 units are a lot cooler than the screens I've been using in these mods, so it's interesting to hear the opposite with your AGS-101.

Yeah. I've been using Final Fantasy IV: Advance to test everything. I was going to try to take pictures of the game running on one of your mods, an AGS-101, and a Micro at the same time, but I suck at taking pictures. I can't get any good pictures of them running. The white title screen is quite a bit warmer looking on the AGS-101 than the screen you used. I guess Nintendo must have used different screens or different suppliers in different regions.

^^^^^

"Pretty good"? Man, I'd rank mine as excellent myself, one of the best mods I've ever owned. Games just pop on the thing and the extra brightness settings take it to the next level.

Apart from being newer and having better support, what would an Everdrive do that an EZ Flash IV won't?

Is the Everdrive more than just a homebrew/ROM launcher?

Rich!

Apart from being newer and having better support, what would an Everdrive do that an EZ Flash IV won't?

Is the Everdrive more than just a homebrew/ROM launcher?

1. Drag and drop, no conversion of roms
2. SD based, not mini SD
3. More features, better menu system
4. Up to 32gb storage, ezflash is 2GB max
5. Much much better hardware and continued support

People tolerate the ez flash iv because its the only option right now. Its outdated, badly built, terrible software.

Peagles

1. Drag and drop, no conversion of roms
2. SD based, not mini SD
3. More features, better menu system
4. Up to 32gb storage, ezflash is 2GB max
5. Much much better hardware and continued support

People tolerate the ez flash iv because its the only option right now. Its outdated, badly built, terrible software.

Yup. Once it's set up it's workable, but it's a pain to set up. Not to mention the build quality is pretty gross. I'd get an Everdrive GBA if that's what's coming.

He did say he wasn't interested in working on the GBA, but he has said that before about systems which he has now released Everdrives for, so fingers crossed.

Top Bottom