• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

B.K.

Just received my first GBA in the mail today. The condition is excellent! I never owned one, mainly because it launched right as I was getting married and quickly had kids after, so... yeah, no money. I owned an original Gameboy back in the early 90's and one of them was Tiny Toons, to pick this up again is a huge rush of nostalgia, I love it. I look forward to revisiting the old and playing the games I missed.

If you like the SP, you should hunt down an AGS-101 backlit model.

0.jpg

Mzo

I was going to say something like, "now throw it in the trash where it belongs and find a 101," but it was too mean.

v1perz53

and then someone else would say

lol wtf amateur get one of these:

I love my backlit gba 001

I am one of the apparently few people who actually prefers the SP form factor, I find the GBA 001 to be too uncomfortable to play for long periods any time a game requires any frequent use of R or L. It was so comfortable when I was a kid with smaller hands, but now the SP fits me so much better.

Though the rechargeable battery life limit issue is a pretty harsh downside to the SP, but I am confident there will be someone making clones of the battery in the future. Hell, there are people still making NES parts.

v1perz53

I prefer the OG AGB-001 D-pad and buttons to the SP or Micro. Heck, I prefer them to any Nintendo handheld released since. Is that weird?

A and B buttons I could give you, but to me the slightly larder, slightly flatter, 8-way clicky D-pad of the SP is pure perfection. The only other D-pad to ever come close in my eyes has been the Vita D-pad. GBA 001 pad is just a little to small for me. Again, perfect as a kid not as good for me now.

Never used a micro, so I can't compare those buttons myself.

putermcgee

I was lucky and got that model for $10. I wanted to see if I would like it first and will definitely hunt down 101.
You can't go wrong for $10. While I definitely recommend getting a 101, the AGB-001 with a backlit screen is seen as the pinnacle of GBA gaming by a lot of people here. It really comes down to personal preference, though, because even I really like the Micro, and have nothing against the SP form factor.

Thinking about adding a backlight to my Game Boy Pocket. Any recommendations? Narrowing down the difference between getting a kit from Kitsch Bent or Nonfinite Electronics.
No recommendations for the screen, but have you considered doing a frontlit GBC mod instead? I was ready to mod a GB Pocket, but then I realized there are several GBC-only titles out there that I'd miss out on. It makes me sad because I don't like the Color, but love the Pocket.

Anyway, I picked this up yesterday for 100 yen because it's so darn goofy looking. It has a compartment for a CR2016 battery that powers a speaker in the cart. Since it's Tamagochi, I'm guessing it's either for notification sounds, or sounds the Game Boy isn't capable of making. Anyone know for sure?

Anyway, I picked this up yesterday for 100 yen because it's so darn goofy looking. It has a compartment for a CR2016 battery that powers a speaker in the cart. Since it's Tamagochi, I'm guessing it's either for notification sounds, or sounds the Game Boy isn't capable of making. Anyone know for sure?

It's notification for when the system is off. The battery powers a real-time clock as well.

v1perz53

Bah, was at my parent's house for a bit today and checked my old GBC/GBA collection, and BOTH copies of Pokemon Pinball I own are missing the battery cover. Curse my careless past self and stupid little brother who was also careless. Eh, at least I have the full box and manual still thanks to my mom somehow having the foresight that I may one day care about such things.

You can't go wrong for $10. While I definitely recommend getting a 101, the AGB-001 with a backlit screen is seen as the pinnacle of GBA gaming by a lot of people here. It really comes down to personal preference, though, because even I really like the Micro, and have nothing against the SP form factor.

How is the battery life once they are modded with the backlight?

TheMoon

Random observation:

Charged my GBA SP maybe one or probably more like two years ago to prepare for possible Four Swords action. Just turned it on to test something. Battery still going strong. I'm super impressed.

Random observation:

Charged my GBA SP maybe one or probably more like two years ago to prepare for possible Four Swords action. Just turned it on to test something. Battery still going strong. I'm super impressed.
The Micro's battery life is longer than the half life of uranium 235.

B.K.

Nintendo definitely works some kind of black magic with their batteries. I've never seen a battery hold power as long as theirs do.

looking for a nice short rpg to play on my new Micro... any suggestions?

How long is Golden Sun 1 (for a regular playthrough)?Never played that one but heard good things...

maxcriden

looking for a nice short rpg to play on my new Micro... any suggestions?

How long is Golden Sun 1 (for a regular playthrough)?Never played that one but heard good things...

25 hours or so for if you're doing most everything in the game. The second game is really the second half of the first game, in a way, and it's a bit longer. Both are great, especially if you don't mind lots and lots of text.

TheMoon

25 hours or so for if you're doing most everything in the game. The second game is really the second half of the first game, in a way, and it's a bit longer. Both are great, especially if you don't mind lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of text.

I fixed that for you. But yea, those are awesome and probably not too long? Compared to 60h epics at least?

Grizzo

25 hours or so for if you're doing most everything in the game. The second game is really the second half of the first game, in a way, and it's a bit longer. Both are great, especially if you don't mind lots and lots of text.

the thing I remember and dreaded the most with Golden Sun was having to read all those wall of texts every time I would die against a boss

ugh

Other than that, the game was fantastic (and The Lost Age too).

v1perz53

Turn off the voices, lol.

I absolutely loved Golden Sun as a kid, that game was mind blowing to be able to play something that looked like that on a handheld. The preview for that game in Nintendo Power single handedly sold me on a GBA (I didn't understand at the time as a child that GBA meant my precious GBC would stop getting as many games).

But man, I still have nightmares about the voice sound in that game. I struggle to come up with a good onomatopoeia to write out what it sounded like, but man was it grating. Too bad too cause I loved the rest of the music.

Golden Sun series is probably what I want to play most now that I have a backlit SP, but getting through that intro to Golden Sun 1 for the umpteenth time is a hard hump to get over.

Grizzo

I absolutely loved Golden Sun as a kid, that game was mind blowing to be able to play something that looked like that on a handheld. The preview for that game in Nintendo Power single handedly sold me on a GBA (I didn't understand at the time as a child that GBA meant my precious GBC would stop getting as many games).

But man, I still have nightmares about the voice sound in that game. I struggle to come up with a good onomatopoeia to write out what it sounded like, but man was it grating. Too bad too cause I loved the rest of the music.

Golden Sun series is probably what I want to play most now that I have a backlit SP, but getting through that intro to Golden Sun 1 for the umpteenth time is a hard hump to get over.

I had forgotten all about those voices until I recently played Mario Tennis Power Tour on the GBA, which was developed by Camelot and use the same engine as Golden Sun....... and the same damn voices for each character, haha.

Ive just bought a Leapfrog leapster for a tenner. Its one of these:

With a bit of hacking, you can install Linux on it. Runs NES and GBC flawlessly.
Hah, what a hit. This made me laugh.

Guys, I've been playing Crash Bandicoot XS on my SP 101. I must have played it about 10 years ago on my frontlit SP. It looks fantastic on the 101. If you like Crash Bandicoot, I implore you to track down this game!

Grizzo

Hah, what a hit. This made me laugh.

Guys, I've been playing Crash Bandicoot XS on my SP 101. I must have played it about 10 years ago on my frontlit SP. It looks fantastic on the 101. If you like Crash Bandicoot, I implore you to track down this game!

I have the 2nd one (Crash Bandicoot N-Tranced), I got it on eBay a few years ago while buying Disney Magical Quest 2 (it was two-for-one offer)

I played a few levels of it and then stopped, don't really know why. I'm gonna get back to it!

I have the 2nd one (Crash Bandicoot N-Tranced), I got it on eBay a few years ago while buying Disney Magical Quest 2 (it was two-for-one offer)

I played a few levels of it and then stopped, don't really know why. I'm gonna get back to it!
I bought part 2 on eBay recently, so will start it up after I finish this one. Woohoo. I also have Crash Nitro Kart for the SP to try.

v1perz53

Just picked up R-Type DX and Advance Wars 2 for pretty decent prices from ebay. Here's to hoping they both come in quickly and are genuine, both sellers claimed they were. My attempts to re-make my childhood Gameboy collection is getting close to completion, right now the only notable games I am missing are a copy of Pokemon Silver (waiting on someone to list it for cheap because the battery is dead and they don't know you can replace it), Metroid II, and whichever Mega Man game I used to own, can't remember which it was.

marvel8797

Neo Member
maybe he really likes to trade with himself.

seriously, though, that's like, over $5,000 just the cartridges alone...that's loose math, not counting the handhelds, boxes, and damaged labels.

I've only ever used the nonfinite ones, but they work and look great.
Nonfinite is my choice.

Remember: get decent lithium batteries, otherwise your battery life will be a half hour max.
Thanks for the leads gents. Will get it ordered today.

No recommendations for the screen, but have you considered doing a frontlit GBC mod instead? I was ready to mod a GB Pocket, but then I realized there are several GBC-only titles out there that I'd miss out on. It makes me sad because I don't like the Color, but love the Pocket.

I did briefly consider it but saw that the frontlight mods out there kinda looked like crap and made all the colors washed out. Yuck. I'll stick with my backlit GBA.

What a dick. I hate resellers so much. Okay, maybe keep a few extra copies for yourself in case something happens to the on you play, but that many? Thats just being a dick.

I got my backlit ABG 001 multi-brightness cable mod from Peagles today and it's AMAZING. Of all the modded systems I've ever owned this is one of the very best. Five brightness settings and at it's highest setting, it either is every bit as bright as the 101's second brightness setting or might even be a tiny bit brighter.

With that, I no longer need the Backlight mod AGB 001 I got earlier this summer and am now selling it. I'm offering it to the good folks here before I take it to the BST thread. I'm asking $140 shipped. PayPal and U.S. buyers only, please. The screen is clean with no dust behind it and the backlight is crisp and vibrant. Here are some pictures again that I posted of it months ago:

ED960B49-4844-4CEF-BBC1-CA11B1169FDA-5265-0000042F05F56DE1_zpsae25f988.jpg

9310A085-CA9B-421A-A1E5-24F5BB732361-5265-0000042F48D59DCD_zpscd22a470.jpg

D89C3E59-2D1E-4EA7-9F95-8EC9214CEA08-5265-0000042EEC55DED6_zps9966aaeb.jpg

FBB88E7D-B8E5-4DD5-8247-697AC43F63CF-4897-000003811C8A387D_zpsf9715006.jpg

8DBB7A50-07F2-4C74-82BA-5C4D75CFF5BF-4897-0000038083703F9B_zpse93c6f5e.jpg

EE8F2F63-C0C0-4C41-8836-B0BC670CB14A-1816-000001D3EC980D7E_zps9d3d7aef.jpg

EF6885ED-C88A-4124-9F99-FFB34C4CDD42-1816-000001D232269D4C_zpsed0ad37b.jpg

20DFE1A1-D548-4F1D-8B40-3C79C233F20B-5265-00000453EA69C412_zpsa08a679d.jpg

So.. this multi-brightness cable mod that everyone seems to be getting, are the brightness levels similar to the DS? Is it that much different than the one Agent Unknown is selling? I would hate to buy a model one to find out there is an even superior mod out there.

So.. this multi-brightness cable mod that everyone seems to be getting, are the brightness levels similar to the DS? Is it that much different than the one Agent Unknown is selling? I would hate to buy a model one to find out there is an even superior mod out there.

The one I'm selling is an AGB 001 with a backlight mod which has a brightness level somewhere in between the "lower" and the "brighter" setting of the SP 101. The ones we are discussing are the same mod but use a rare, special cable which taps extra power from the motherboard and allows for a brightness setting that at least matches the SP 101's "brighter" setting. The only problem is this mod is more expensive and the person here who modded them was only able to get a small handful of the cables from a Chinese website. You can ask but you'll need to be on a list just to get one and backlight screens themselves are running out fast, only a limited amount of the screens for the mod remain and aren't being replenished at all. By next year the unit I'm selling will cost way more due to screens running out and demand.

Posting my AGB 101 mod for sale in the BST thread now, just bumping this as a reminder to the regulars here who may have missed that I was selling it and who may be interested. Again, no longer need it since I have the tabao cable mod AGB from Peagles and would rather someone else be able to enjoy one of these fantastic and increasingly hard to get mods rather than just an extra unit laying around my house unused.

Top Bottom