• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

cafemomo

After you told me this, I did some further digging and it turns out you can use Generation 2 cables to play between a GBC/GB Pocket/SGB2 and a GBA. At least that's what it seems like, has anyone had any experience with this?

hmmm
that sounds interesting, didn't know such a cable existed

Slermy

After you told me this, I did some further digging and it turns out you can use Generation 2 cables to play between a GBC/GB Pocket/SGB2 and a GBA. At least that's what it seems like, has anyone had any experience with this?

Not directly, but I remember some years ago my sister used that exact method to trade pokémon between Gold & Blue using her SP and some other GameBoy.

Jamix012

Not directly, but I remember some years ago my sister used that exact method to trade pokémon between Gold & Blue using her SP and some other GameBoy.

Ok! That's clarification enough I need. Time to have some fun multiplayer times between my gameboy player and super gameboy 2.

avens

Neo Member
I can do either. I live in New Zealand and ship internationally. I can put you on the list, however at this stage you'll only get one if somebody drops out, because I only have a finite amount of 101 LCDs. Right now I'm on a bit of a hiatus while I wait for parts to arrive but I should be back into the swing of things this week sometime.

Sure.

I sent you a PM, with further details.

bbdude

So I found an (apparently) factory-sealed copy of Pokemon Red at a Goodwill. I have no idea how to tell if it's the original factory sealing. It has this big sticker on the front that shows a 1999 date.

lxQ7Sp4.jpg

There's also some slight defects, as shown in the following pics:

I'm trying to find out how much it's worth. Anyone have any idea?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Love the Play it Loud Series.

Mine from back in the day looked like this:

10296975_801014713243902_1981472144_n.jpg

I had to love the Play it Loud series from afar! Once my parents caved and bought me the dingy DMG-01, they were like "No more!", haha.

That black one is sexy though! I'm definitely jealous. I think of the Play it Loud DMG-01's, black is my favorite, followed by clear.

I had to love the Play it Loud series from afar! Once my parents caved and bought me the dingy DMG-01, they were like "No more!", haha.

That black one is sexy though! I'm definitely jealous. I think of the Play it Loud DMG-01's, black is my favorite, followed by clear.

I still have the case, but that insert is long gone.

Odd request, but are you able to scan that insert?

Highwind

Hello guys.

A bit of an update on the gba screen. In the end I decided to just buy a new screen.

Came up to £70 but it was cheaper than buying an entirely new gba which didn't have the glass lens. Oh well.

Should be coming tomorrow. Need to be extra careful with this one. In the end, not being able to play GBA games was too much. *shrugs*

Atleast the motherboard is 100% genuine, something I couldn't verify completely before.

bbdude

Red (cart onry) ranges anywhere from $20-$35 at retail from what I've seen (Disc Replay, Half Price Books & Book Off)
Surely mine's worth more since it's factory sealed? A cursory ebay check shows them going for $150+. I'm just worried that one or two small defects and that big sticker are hurting the value... maybe I'll just throw it on ebay and see if I get any bids

More Game Boy goodness has arrived!

1QmrLkXl.jpg

I need these.

I loved the Play it Loud ad campaign back in the day, it was over the top, full of itself, "hardcore" '90s cheese at its best. Nintendo just doesn't let loose with their marketing like that anymore.

Hello guys.

A bit of an update on the gba screen. In the end I decided to just buy a new screen.

Came up to £70 but it was cheaper than buying an entirely new gba which didn't have the glass lens. Oh well.

Should be coming tomorrow. Need to be extra careful with this one. In the end, not being able to play GBA games was too much. *shrugs*

Atleast the motherboard is 100% genuine, something I couldn't verify completely before.

Cool, glad to hear you're getting a new screen, must feel good.

Peagles

Hello guys.

Ouch, be careful this time!

P.S. Send me your broken LCD :p

prateeko

Surely mine's worth more since it's factory sealed? A cursory ebay check shows them going for $150+. I'm just worried that one or two small defects and that big sticker are hurting the value... maybe I'll just throw it on ebay and see if I get any bids

I need these.

It has a giant sticker on the front and defects. You will not get the prices the game sells for on eBay, which you can check by searching for the item and then clicking the "SOLD" filter. You'll get better info that way as you can likely tell by the lack of input so far.

Also, anyone heard any updates on the Everdrive GBA front? An RTC would be so magical....

This was posted in the GB / GBC appreciation thread:
Check this out:

“Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3″ Brings The Classic Entry To The Nintendo Game Boy Color Handheld
http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/201...ntry-to-the-nintendo-game-boy-color-handheld/

Capture.png

ddd.jpg

This new port of the game comes to us from Deviant Art member “z80artist” (PSC). According to the developer, this version of the game is compatible with both the Game Boy Color as well as the original black & white classic model (as shown above), runs at 60 frames per second, and supports the2 player Super Game Boy. In addition, many of the animations shown on this version run at the same number of FPS as the arcade version. It takes advantage of most of the known hardware tricks, including having over 40 sprites, LYC parallax scrolling, animated backgrounds, flicker effects, background tiles as “sprites”, multiple OAM buffers, and so on and so forth.
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoVsvt7luI

I actually spotted a cart only Red version this Friday on my lunch break at work. It's the only game I need to complete my Gen 1 Pokemon collection. I should pick it up while I have the chance. They had a few GBCs and a brick GB, too. (No GB Pocket, though :/)

Highwind

My screen came today.....and.....

It works. :D

It's a bit dim because I didn't solder it to the motherboard, soldering iron comes tomorrow.

I also taped the ribbon cable down to the screen so it isn't loose and is protected from damage. :D

putermcgee

So a couple months ago, I picked up a GBA and 50 GB/GBC games for about $50 at a local shop. I was happy with the games I got because there were all the Mario/Wario Land titles, both Oracle titles, some Dragon Quest titles, and overall just a lot for what I paid.

Well now, the same shop has the original GB (is that the DMG?) and 10 random games for $20. The Game Boys I saw in the case weren't in the best shape. Two were missing the screen lenses/covers, and the other one was quite yellowed. Is that a decent deal? I thought I could hang onto the GB and try that hair stuff to get the yellow out, but I'm thinking I'll end up with at least one or two games I picked up in the last bunch.

putermcgee

Gba is BC so you could still play them on ur gba.

Ask if they'd separate the system from the games for a discount.
It would be more for collection purposes than playing. I'll have to check out what other original GB hardware colors were available before I settle on gray.

Has something been going on with Rhythm Tengoku lately? I bought it a couple years ago, and it seemed eBay prices hovered around $50 for a complete copy then, but I just picked up a complete copy at a local store for $20, and it seems eBay prices are closer to $30 now. Have any other good import GBA games dropped in price like that?

Has something been going on with Rhythm Tengoku lately? I bought it a couple years ago, and it seemed eBay prices hovered around $50 for a complete copy then, but I just picked up a complete copy at a local store for $20, and it seems eBay prices are closer to $30 now. Have any other good import GBA games dropped in price like that?

It's available CIB for <$20 in Japan. I got one for 1950 yen back in May... but during my two weeks there I saw it for even cheaper. I think I saw CIB in store for as little as 1200 yen.

I'm not sure what would keep prices down other than it just not being rare, Japan tending to keep boxes, and a healthy supply of used games. Maybe your $50 was just a blip?

Gunsmithx

Really late thanks to Rich, finally got around to putting goomba on my ezflash, really cool to use. Now to wait for peagles toy to hit home and my gba hardware collection is almost complete(for me anyway)

I don't think it was an isolated case. I try to at least do somewhat decent research before making a purchase, and I've seen posts from a similar timeframe giving estimates in the same ballpark (from 2012, this guy approximates $40-$60). It's possible that I neglected to look into some cheaper channels (was definitely used though, it had save data on it).

I was just optimistic that perhaps it was an indicator of complete GBA import prices going down via international resellers pumping up the prices less, but looking at other popular import titles, that doesn't really seem to be the case. Makes me regret not hopping around to more Book-Offs and picking up more boxed GBA games while I was in Japan!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for $24 with box and instructions. Good deal I'm guessing?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I already did. Guess I should have put that in my comment.

Top Bottom