• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rymuth

This is so hot. Really wish I has bought this one

6678985_orig.jpg

prateeko

Yup. Once it's set up it's workable, but it's a pain to set up. Not to mention the build quality is pretty gross. I'd get an Everdrive GBA if that's what's coming.

He did say he wasn't interested in working on the GBA, but he has said that before about systems which he has now released Everdrives for, so fingers crossed.

1. Drag and drop, no conversion of roms
2. SD based, not mini SD
3. More features, better menu system
4. Up to 32gb storage, ezflash is 2GB max
5. Much much better hardware and continued support

People tolerate the ez flash iv because its the only option right now. Its outdated, badly built, terrible software.

I would buy an EverDrive GBA in a heartbeat. I really hope he is making them and would kill for RTC, which I know is only for a couple games but the again the point is to be able to take your WHOLE library with you.

Previously anyone know how long it would be from teaser to product? I literally grabbed an extra EZ Flash IV when I got my first one because I thought the well had run dry (I also managed to hunt down an M3 Perfect Lite....mainly for dat sweet RTC but my EZ flash is my go to after I transferred all my saves back with GBA Backup tool)

Grizzo

This is so hot. Really wish I has bought this one

6678985_orig.jpg

Looks good, right? Beware though, I've heard bad things about Rose Colored Gaming both in this thread and in other places. I think I'll still get one someday. But that's really not my priority right now.

Anth0ny

Stupid question:

What makes an Everdrive for GBA better than any other GBA flash cart? I thought the cool thing about Everdrive was the fact that they were available for a bunch of systems that never had flash carts before, whereas GBA flash carts have been around for years...

Rich!

Stupid question:

What makes an Everdrive for GBA better than any other GBA flash cart? I thought the cool thing about Everdrive was the fact that they were available for a bunch of systems that never had flash carts before, whereas GBA flash carts have been around for years...

I posted exactly why just above

1. Drag and drop, no conversion of roms
2. SD based, not mini SD
3. More features, better menu system
4. Up to 32gb storage, ezflash is 2GB max
5. Much much better hardware and continued support

People tolerate the ez flash iv because its the only option right now. Its outdated, badly built, terrible software.

Welp, I was keeping my fingers crossed for a Jaguar everdrive, but GBA will suffice for now.
Same here. I'm really happy about the GBA flash drive and almost bought an Ez Flash. Glad I held off.

I'd really love a Neo Geo Pocket Color flash cart. That could rock, even though the game library is smaller.

Jamix012

An upscaler in the XRGB series is ideal. Pretty much all other (cheaper) ones are junk.

Don't get me wrong XRGB does have the best upscalers for 240p and 480i but saying that they're the only ones worth it is way off base. For one it has a very limited number of inputs and secondly it has awful PAL support not to mention the fact that the menus aren't in english.

There's a WHOLE page here on upscalers. If you want to save some money or prioritise non-240p consoles there are certainly other options out there. I use a DVDO VP50 which has incredible support for 480i, 576i and 480p, a plethora of inputs, options and it's all in english.

Peagles

whu. Don't get me wrong XRGB does have the best upscalers for 240p and 480i but saying that they're the only ones worth it is way off base. For one it has a very limited number of inputs and secondly it has awful PAL support.

There's a WHOLE page here on upscalers. If you want to save some money or prioritise non-240p consoles there are certainly other options out there.

Yeh I know. The other upscalers on that page are not what I meant by "cheaper alternatives". It was a generalisation for someone asking for basic advice. Swing by the Upscalers thread and you'll see the swathes of people asking time and time again "Is this $50 upscaler okay?", people chorus back "Hell no don't waste your money" then it's like "Oh I bought it anyway it can't be that bad" then "Oh actually it looks worse than my TV, dang, gonna return it" lol. Just trying to nip that in the bud.

Edit: What's the RRP of the DVDO VP50, just out of interest?

Jamix012

Yeh I know. It was a generalisation for someone asking for basic advice. Swing by the Upscalers thread and you'll see the swathes of people asking time and time again "Is this $50 upscaler okay?", people chorus back "Hell no don't waste your money" then it's like "Oh I bought it anyway it can't be that bad" then "Oh actually it looks worse than my TV, dang, gonna return it" lol. Just trying to nip that in the bud.

Yeah that's fair, there are a lot of shitty upscalers out there. XRGB is the best option in a lot of cases anyway.

v1perz53

I'm weary about buying one of those since I've heard bad things about RCG

but I go dayum whenever I see that beauty

I really wanted one as well, but when it came out at $250 I couldn't justify it. But don't expect to get it any time soon (ever again I guess) because with the GBA screen supply drought they said they were probably not going to do any more GBA mods in the future (unless that has changed recently).

Still wish I got a modded OG GBA before supply vanished, I could've gotten one, even an RCG mod with the issues posted here is better than nothing. I don't quite want it enough to take a chance with ebay or knock offs.

v1perz53

Do the third party gb/gba clamshell cases have spaces for the manuals?

Yep, don't have a photo on hand (my manuals are still packed away at my parent's house) but the side area where a manual would be in a normal size DVD case has those two clips and is the correct size for a GB/GBA manual on its side. At least, the few I tried fit perfectly and were held snugly enough.

putermcgee

If the Everdrive is the same size as a GBA cart and doesn't require a bunch of dumb hoops to jump through, I'll gladly pick one up. I got an EZ Flash IV about a month ago, and still haven't trying using it. Even finding a MiniSD card is the worst. Plus, it seems like the software is Windows only.

If the Everdrive is the same size as a GBA cart and doesn't require a bunch of dumb hoops to jump through, I'll gladly pick one up. I got an EZ Flash IV about a month ago, and still haven't trying using it. Even finding a MiniSD card is the worst. Plus, it seems like the software is Windows only.

Just use a MicroSD with a MiniSD adapter.

avens

Neo Member
About flashcarts, don't buy the very first release of anything, even of Krizz. Those are always filled with small issues, don't have perfect support for just the game you wanted to play and the second and third versions are always way superior in every way, so wait for those.

Plus the ez flash iv still does the job just fine. Yes it has lots of annoying issues but all can be dealt with, I don't think any major game is unsupported and it costs probably 1/3 of what Krizz's first GBA flashcart will.

BTW I know it's a bit silly to ask, since the user frequents this very thread, but is there any place I can get specific info on the Peagles' GBA, with the brightness slider? I want to know how the orders work, for example if I have to send him a GBA or if he provides them himself (the latter would be easier), if he takes orders from anyone or just from his pals and if he's willing to send one internationally. Thanks.

About flashcarts, don't buy the very first release of anything, even of Krizz. Those are always filled with small issues, don't have perfect support for just the game you wanted to play and the second and third versions are always way superior in every way, so wait for those.

Plus the ez flash iv still does the job just fine. Yes it has lots of annoying issues but all can be dealt with, I don't think any major game is unsupported and it costs probably 1/3 of what Krizz's first GBA flashcart will.

BTW I know it's a bit silly to ask, since the user frequents this very thread, but is there any place I can get specific info on the Peagles' GBA, with the brightness slider? I want to know how the orders work, for example if I have to send him a GBA or if he provides them himself (the latter would be easier), if he takes orders from anyone or just from his pals and if he's willing to send one internationally. Thanks.
Paging Peagles.

I'm not one of Peagles' pals (not sure what the qualification process is for this, hah), and have had an order accepted to ship to the UK, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Can't comment on the brightness stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I had my GBA collection stolen a couple months back (except for Drill Dozer, Mario & Luigi, and FFT Advance.) It's a really bad system to have your shit jacked for, because rebuying stuff is going to suck.

Rich!

I had my GBA collection stolen a couple months back (except for Drill Dozer, Mario & Luigi, and FFT Advance.) It's a really bad system to have your shit jacked for, because rebuying stuff is going to suck.

Well, its gotta be better than a neogeo collection.

Totally still sucks though man

That's awful man, sorry to hear that :-/ I know eBay's not the best place due to all the fakes, but do have a look on it for genuine bargains.

Danny Dudekisser

That's awful man, sorry to hear that :-/ I know eBay's not the best place due to all the fakes, but do have a look on it for genuine bargains.

I used to be a pro at spotting fake GBA games, but it's been a long time, so I think I need to brush up on what's what again. At least I know the 3 games I still have are legit ^_^

Sorry to hear your collection got stolen. I hope your insurance covers at least the bulk of the cost.

I used to be a pro at spotting fake GBA games, but it's been a long time, so I think I need to brush up on what's what again. At least I know the 3 games I still have are legit ^_^
I'm not great at spotting them on eBay, I just tend to e-mail the seller and ask with (veiled) threats about refunds and reporting if they're knock-offs. Most sellers are very understanding.

Danny Dudekisser

Sorry to hear your collection got stolen. I hope your insurance covers at least the bulk of the cost.

Well, the nice thing (if you can call it that) is that a bunch of stuff got stolen, so insurance hooked me up with a pretty phat check. Financially, at least, I can replace the stuff without a problem. But holy hell did the price go up on GBA stuff.

prateeko

Sorry to hear that. I went through the same thing a number of years ago and didn't get to a point where I could rebuild until a year or two ago. It is expensive, which makes the loss even more painful. but if you're patient it's doable. I am not able to go out into the community (and around where I am even local people seem to have an artificially inflated sense of worth for some of these games) so I ended up doing it very slowly online. I'd recommend you always buy local (i.e. American or Canadian if you're in the US) and if you do go on eBay I always felt sticking to smaller sellers was better (i.e. people getting older and needing to sell their collection for money/space).

Lastly, a little while back I threw together a quick guide on spotting fakes. It's tough to do over the net, but eBay has a very good buyer protection policy so it's still worth checking out the games once they arrive.

But all in all, my condolences. I truly know how you feel.

Peagles

I can do either. I live in New Zealand and ship internationally. I can put you on the list, however at this stage you'll only get one if somebody drops out, because I only have a finite amount of 101 LCDs. Right now I'm on a bit of a hiatus while I wait for parts to arrive but I should be back into the swing of things this week sometime.

Well, the nice thing (if you can call it that) is that a bunch of stuff got stolen, so insurance hooked me up with a pretty phat check. Financially, at least, I can replace the stuff without a problem. But holy hell did the price go up on GBA stuff.
Although I guess it will never cover the sentimental value of a collection at least the financial side of things has been covered. Godspeed in rebuilding your collection.

Danny Dudekisser

Sorry to hear that. I went through the same thing a number of years ago and didn't get to a point where I could rebuild until a year or two ago. It is expensive, which makes the loss even more painful. but if you're patient it's doable. I am not able to go out into the community (and around where I am even local people seem to have an artificially inflated sense of worth for some of these games) so I ended up doing it very slowly online. I'd recommend you always buy local (i.e. American or Canadian if you're in the US) and if you do go on eBay I always felt sticking to smaller sellers was better (i.e. people getting older and needing to sell their collection for money/space).

Lastly, a little while back I threw together a quick guide on spotting fakes. It's tough to do over the net, but eBay has a very good buyer protection policy so it's still worth checking out the games once they arrive.

But all in all, my condolences. I truly know how you feel.

That guide's actually really helpful. I'll definitely keep it bookmarked.

prateeko

Although I guess it will never cover the sentimental value of a collection at least the financial side of things has been covered. Godspeed in rebuilding your collection.

The lost save files really got me. My brother and I put so much time into some of those games. Can't really replace a pokemon file at 120 hours (although I later found out that when I briefly had an M3 Perfect Lite that some of the saves I tried to back up were actually backed up, but most did not come through).

octopiggy

I'm replaying Warioware at the moment and got to this -

Funky Fountain
Funky_Fountain.png

It's only just occurred to me - is this supposed to be an arse cleaner?

putermcgee

I'm replaying Warioware at the moment and got to this -

Funky Fountain
Funky_Fountain.png

It's only just occurred to me - is this supposed to be an arse cleaner?
Yeah, it's a bidet. I didn't get it when I played it years ago, and I'm willing to bet Nintendo figured most people in the US (and maybe Europe) wouldn't make the connection.

Jamix012

Hi guys! I have a question.
I looked this up but information is sparse at best but, is it possible to play Original GB games in multiplayer between one Gameboy and a Gameboy advance? I.E. Can I have, for example, two copies of GB Tetris, one in a GBA and one in an original GB and somehow get them to play together? If so, how? Thanks!

cafemomo

Hi guys! I have a question.
I looked this up but information is sparse at best but, is it possible to play Original GB games in multiplayer between one Gameboy and a Gameboy advance? I.E. Can I have, for example, two copies of GB Tetris, one in a GBA and one in an original GB and somehow get them to play together? If so, how? Thanks!

There's no GB to GBA link cable.

Top Bottom