• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

While the stages are all new in the GB games, they tend to be simplified versions of the NES equivalents.
Simplified? Uh, no, that is not the case. Mega Mans III and IV are harder than Mega Mans 4-5, and III might even be harder than 3 too. 3's tough too, but III is brutal. The levels can be long, too; they are not simplified... well, II excepted of course.

Of course the GB has a smaller screen, and the GB Mega Man engine has fairly large sprites, but everything is designed to fit the scale, and it works perfectly.

It is true that the stages usually take their graphical theme from the NES stages, so they may be familiar in looks and in the nature of some obstacles you see in the level if you've played the NES games, but even there some stage themes are new, and the layouts are entirely original.

Also, they mix up the robot masters- MM2 GB has four from MM2 NES and four from MM3 NES, and so. They also have the Megaman hunter characters- Quint, Punk etc.
Yeah, I mentioned that stuff in my second post about the games. I will say though that even if the bosses are the "same", that you play them in a different order and that they have different difficulty levels from the NES bosses makes things feel quite different. Like how I said in MMI Fire Man is easier, and Cut Man pretty tough.

MMV is a cpmpletely new story, with all new robots- the stardroids! It even has a shooter section with Megaman and rush in space. It's awesome. The final boss is rock hard but it's one of the best games on the GB, with some really nice level design- there are secrets you'll need to replay the stages for etc.
V is an exceptional game for sure, but IV really is just as great, and III is only a little below them...

Yeah, same here.
Prices of all GB MM games to skyrocket... lol.
Plenty of people know that already, which is why IV and V are so expensive. Those games were already expensive back in the late '90s, and because they were never re-released and still aren't on any download services, the prices have not come down; both are a solid $40-50, more if you want complete.

do gba link cables work on gameboy colors?

No, the GBA link cable and the GB/GBC link cable are different. The Game Boy (original model) has a different plug shape from the GB Pocket/GB Color's link cable plug, but they are in fact the same; they just shrunk it on the smaller systems. There's a Universal Game Link Cable for the GB and GBC that is a GB Pocket/Color cable that also comes with one GB original adapter, so you can use it to connect an original GB to a Pocket or Color model.

Oh, if you want to use the GB Four Player Adapter, you'll need adapters like that for each cable if you are using it with anything other than original Game Boys, because the Four Player Adapter wasn't re-released, and is original large-plug only. (There are no color games with four player support; they're all B&W titles from before the GBC's release.)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Got a copy of FireRed off of Craigslist today for $20. It's in pretty great shape, and $20 is certainly better than playing the local retro place $40.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Last pickup as previously mentioned. It wasn't cheap (cheap means sub $20 for me) but I love the game. Decent conditions for the box, manual and cart are mint thank god.
Also I didn't remember the game doesn't let you save and has passwords instead, bummer -_-
Great port btw.

ur6CnGZ.jpg

azFQcXq.jpg

Peeled off that awful Halifax sticker (pheeeew, didn't screw anything up lol):

Fg3pzLn.jpg

Running on GBA Micro:

tpAeCHW.jpg
4L8mMI2.jpg

Grief.exe

Made a few pick ups the past couple days.

Got Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario brothers 3 off of Craigslist.

Also got CIB The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

I'll post pics soon, I'll probably post pics of my whole collection this week sometime.

emb

So does the GBA really have no slot for an AC adapter of any sort, or am I missing the obvious?

If it really doesn't, I'm so annoyed. I like the form factor, and I have convenient lighting now to play these things, but I hate batteries. :\ Guess I'll just have to get over it and play the SP lol.

So does the GBA really have no slot for an AC adapter of any sort, or am I missing the obvious?

If it really doesn't, I'm so annoyed. I like the form factor, and I have convenient lighting now to play these things, but I hate batteries. :\ Guess I'll just have to get over it and play the SP lol.

They did make an AC adapter. It clips into the battery port though.

61WZohiYyQL.jpg

1201240500004.JPG

Part number is AGB-009 I believe.

Seik

Banned
Got these two monday, started playing the first one yesterday. (Thanks to Lambtron! ^^)

ba0OP7w.jpg

Feels good to finally play a SRT game in english. I know there's one on the DS but I didn't like it.

Gameboy415

Some GBA impressions would be cool, so yeah go for it. Samurai Kid for the GBC actually looks pretty fun, and seems import friendly too.

Edit: and please add the GBA list Gameboy415!

I meant to post last weekend but I got a bit busy - sorry about the wait!

JP GBA recommendations:

Bit Generations series - 7 extremely simple yet extremely fun and addicting games from Nintendo. Many have been re-released as WiiWare/DSiWare.

Densetsu No Stafi 1-3 - the prequels to "The Legendary Starfy" on DS. All 3 are excellent 2D games that blend fun underwater segments with typical platforming stages. Plus, Stafi 3 has an amazing cameo from a famous Nintendo character-
Wario
!

F-Zero Climax - JP only sequel to the GBA F-Zero games.

Guru Logic Champ - outstanding puzzle game from Compile in which you complete images by firing blocks at a rotating stage. (precursor to Snapdots on DSiWare)

Hudson Best Collection Volume 6: Takahashi Meijin Collection - collects all 4 Adventure Island games on one GBA cart including the JP-only 4th game!

Klonoa Heroes - JP-only action-RPG featuring characters from the Klonoa franchise.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - very fun action-puzzle game in which you guide a rotating ship through mazes (also released in Europe).

Kuru Kuru Paradise - JP only sequel to Kuru Kuru Kururin

Mother 1 + 2 - JP only prequel to Earthbound & Earthbound on one GBA cart.

Mother 3 - JP only sequel to Earthbound, pretty well-known already. ;)

Rhythm Tengoku - first game in the "Rhtyhm Heaven" franchise featuring much tighter gameplay and quirky stages/music from the WarioWare team.

Shin Bokura no Taiyō: Gyakushū no Sabata - third game in the Boktai series.

Slime no Mori Mori Dragon Quest - prequel to Rocket Slime on DS. It's a very fun Zelda-esque action RPG. (most of the content is recycled in Rocket Slime though)

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 - unlike the US/Euro releases, the JP version was supplemented by a much larger set of e-cards that allow you to unlock several brand-new stages! (requires game cart, e-reader, and e-cards)

Also, I recently realized I haven't posted my Game Boy collection in this thread yet!
These pics are from last year and don't include some of the newer stuff I've picked up but it's still the majority of my GB collection.
I actually have the boxes for most of the GBA stuff, almost all of the JP stuff, and a good portion of the GB/GBC games but it was easier to just take pics of the carts.

Game Boy systems:

Game Boy Games:

GB-GBC Games:

GBC Games:

GBA Games:

Dash Kappei

What's that weird bootleg Mario game in the penultimate photo?

Super Mario: The Last GBA Quest

A decent game (rom hack doesn't fell like the right word for it), really short, with only one boss but pretty sweet taking stuff from the Mario Land games and SMB3 from All-Stars.
You can download it for free and play it on a flashcart if you want.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They don't call him Gameboy415 for nothing.

Hi! I never had a Nintendo portable until the 3DS. Now I have offered the option to buy a 1st genenation Gameboy Advance for about US$ 40 completed in the box. Is it a fair price?

What important games I have missed? Recomendations?

Does the lack of backlight really turns the device unplayable unless in a well lighted room? Should I search for the revision model with light?

Hi! I never had a Nintendo portable until the 3DS. Now I have offered the option to buy a 1st genenation Gameboy Advance for about US$ 40 completed in the box. Is it a fair price?

Does the lack of backlight really turns the device unplayable unless in a well lighted room? Should I search for the revision model with light?

I can't recommend the original GBA in good conscience. I love the shape and ergonomics, but the screen is very dark unless you have direct sunlight or otherwise good room lighting or 3rd-party accessories. If you want a good GBA to play all game boy games seek an AGS-101 GBA SP. That's the one with the backlight, and I've seen them sell for around $50 on the game Trade/Sell thread.

Dash Kappei

Not a fair price if used. Besides, I would never recommend an OG GBA.
Go with a GBA SP, you can find it for the $20/$30 if you're not picky about which kind of backlit screen you want, otherwise the sought-after AGS-101 model goes for $50/$70. Or even a classic DS Lite, but you'd lose GB and GBC support.

Not a mistake at all. Especially since you got the AGS-101!

Yeah I did some research before on Gameboys and decided that was the one to get. It's even the colour I wanted :) as an added bonus it came with two games I actually wanted and will play.

I was seriously considering getting a GBmicro, but I'm really tall guy with equally huge hands that would probably be too big for it. I love the aesthetics but the function wouldn't have been there. Plus I would have needed to get a GBC as well to play older games.

I didn't know this existed. Being a Treasure game, I'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger cult following (like the Astro Boy mentioned in the linked article). Is it any good?

It's more of a "trial run" of Astro Boy. Fairly standard beat-em-up from what I remember, and like AB it has a limited set of enemy types just repeated and re-scaled at different sizes.

Not all Treasure games are universally celebrated, sometime they just gotta put food on the table.

Het_Nkik

So Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams is not very good. At all. Like sixteen-bit mentioned, it's a side-scrolling beat-em-up, but it falls short of most standards.

It's on a strict 2D plane so you don't have vertical movement like in Streets of Rage, etc. You can only use Buster but you can also choose one of seven helper character who will come in and perform an action for you with the press of a button. Babs hits a tennis ball that bounces around and hits enemies, Plucky drops and anvil, Hamton will give you a food item to replenish your health. The helpers can be called infinitely but they have their own health bar and can (easily) get hit when they're on screen.

Buster's attacks consist of a five-hit punch combo that can be performed on the ground or in the air, an uppercut to knock enemies into the air, and a straight blow (also useable in air) that knocks enemies across the screen. All these can be combine together, so you can do the punch combo, land the last hit with an uppercut, jump into the air and start another punch combo on the airborne enemy, and then use a straight blow for the last hit of that combo. Enemies will cause damage when knocked into other enemies with the uppercut and straight blow.

There's also a super-meter gauge that fills up as you beat up enemies, up to 9 stock. It lets you do one of two special attacks for the cost of one stock: quarter-circle forward punch (hadoken!) and Buster will bust out a shopping cart and maul over enemies. Down down punch and Buster busts out a jack hammer causing a ground shake that damages all ground-based enemies. He's invincible during these moves and they can be combined into the flow of Buster's normal move set.

The super-meter can also be used with your partner character so that they perform stronger versions of their moves (often costing well more than one stock of your super meter gauge).

Enemies are either ground based or flyers and come in every size (seriously, they just use the same sprites and will blow them up HUGE). Some are red and that means their attacks and animations don't get interrupted by your attacks but they're super weak to getting other enemies knocked into them. It can be really hard to avoid attacks because there's no block or anything and they have huge range, making it really hard to move out of their attack range once you see the attack animation has started. Or the screen can just get full of projectiles. It's annoying.

Alright, so as you can see, there's a fairly competent little battle system going on there. So what's the problem? It's BORING. It's just screen after screen of them dumping out 10 to 30 enemies out at you at a time before they let you move onto the next screen and then you keep doing that until they let you move onto the next level and then you do it all over again. There's no stage design. The backgrounds or forgettable and boring. There's absolutely nothing to interact with other than the enemies. The music is really bad. The graphics and animation are passable but nowhere near normal Treasure quality. It's just a slog. What you're doing on the first screen of the game is what you'll be doing on the last screen of the game. There are some bosses but they're annoying and not fun in the slightest.

There's a story I think but the screens change too fast to read it all and it seemed to mostly be filled with puns that didn't even make any sense.

So that's Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams.

Dash Kappei

Any Londoners in here who can point me to a good retro game shop dealing with GBA games? I used to go to Game Focus, close to Tottenham Court rd, but it has closed :/

I just bought a sealed Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament for $20 shipped. Wooo!

Now I just have to find reasonably priced Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and my GBA collection will pretty much be done.

Het_Nkik

Klonoa 2 is so good. But make sure you play it after the first. You'll just be disappointed with the first if you play it second.

Het_Nkik

It seems to have been over-printed/under-sold so there are still a bunch of new copies for under $20 from Amazon third-party sellers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I finally took some pictures of my Gameboy since I put the backlight in. Anyone interested should go to nonelectronics.com, this is the V3 Ultra Lime. I actually replaced the front plate with a chrome one from the same site, it's reflective silver and doesn't distract when playing, blends right in. It's so hard to get the screen to show up well in pictures, but the image is rich and vivid in real life. Got a pic of an import too...

b0f62826-0756-4587-9455-b8eea86e409a.jpg

f7ec0226-3bc7-45e5-87b4-db03e664c43a.jpg

5275dfdb-5a0d-46f0-be75-ef47bc524016.jpg

Top Bottom