• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Its actually missing the LED right now...I got a clear LED to replace the red but couldn't figure out how to solder it so I left it out, hah.

Crub

f7ec0226-3bc7-45e5-87b4-db03e664c43a.jpg

What game is this?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh.

How do you guys avoid the counterfeit products when shopping online?

I've tried two times to get my hands on a legit GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on ebay, both times I got a copy with AGB-ACTE-USA (aka fake copy) on front of the cartridge. :(

I got refunded without having to return the item both times, with the sellers begging for a revised review (yeah, right), but this shit is really annoying.

Seik

Banned
Ugh.

I've tried two times to get my hands on a legit GBA Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on ebay, both times I got a copy with AGB-ACTE-USA (aka fake copy) on front of the cartridge. :(

I got refunded without having to return the item both times, with the sellers begging for a revised review (yeah, right), but this shit is really annoying.

I look for the real cartridge on google image, then I try to find a bid or a BIN that have an actual photo, then it's comparison time!

I haven't bought GBA games from Ebay especially because of this, but I did this for the few games I bought and had no problem.

I actually bought a fake Aria of Sorrow too once, but it was from a guy at the flea market. I realized home and got a refund afterward. :p

Quackula

Yeah I pretty much never buy GBA games on ebay if they have stock photos. Too many bootlegs floating around to run that kind of risk.

Now that I've bought my SP I'm looking to add the mainline Pokemon games to my collection. I found an online ad that lists the following:

-Diamond
-Platinum
-SoulSilver
-Emerald
-LeafGreen

It also comes with Pokemon Colosseum (I assume this is the successor to the Stadium games) and the link cable for $80.

Good deal?

johnsmith

remember me
Now that I've bought my SP I'm looking to add the mainline Pokemon games to my collection. I found an online ad that lists the following:

-Diamond
-Platinum
-SoulSilver
-Emerald
-LeafGreen

It also comes with Pokemon Colosseum (I assume this is the successor to the Stadium games) and the link cable for $80.

Good deal?
Great deal assuming none are bootlegs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

-Diamond
-Platinum
-SoulSilver
-Emerald
-LeafGreen

Good deal?

I'd say it's definitely kinda TOO GOOD of a deal if we're speaking CIB, like "holy cow get them asap!".
Otherwise if CO it's still a decent deal. But they, be on the lookout to see if they're legit copies.

Dash Kappei

Got these two monday, started playing the first one yesterday. (Thanks to Lambtron! ^^)

ba0OP7w.jpg

Feels good to finally play a SRT game in english. I know there's one on the DS but I didn't like it.

How much those two cost you? Can you get them for me as we'll, pointing me to the direction of those CIB auctions or whatever?

I'd say it's definitely kinda TOO GOOD of a deal if we're speaking CIB, like "holy cow get them asap!".
Otherwise if CO it's still a decent deal. But they, be on the lookout to see if they're legit copies.

I assume there aren't any boxes since they weren't mentioned. Maybe for the DS games. There aren't DS bootlegs right? The GBA games I think I have a good idea of how to spot them.

johnsmith

remember me
I assume there aren't any boxes since they weren't mentioned. Maybe for the DS games. There aren't DS bootlegs right? The GBA games I think I have a good idea of how to spot them.

Yes, there are DS bootleg carts. I just got a bootleg super princess peach from ebay a couple of days ago.

Just make sure the first 4 digits of the stamp on the back match the middle 4 digits on the front of the cart.
iSvqyF4CPqexb.jpg

Peagles

Hmm, I just received a CIB copy of Castlevania Circle of the Moon but I'm not sure it's legit. I'm usually able to spot a fake at first glance but this one really has me stumped. The cart seems legit (I opened it up and it has Nintendo printed on the board) but the manual and box just don't seem right to me. They're almost too new feeling.

What to do what to do...

Hmm, I just received a CIB copy of Castlevania Circle of the Moon but I'm not sure it's legit. I'm usually able to spot a fake at first glance but this one really has me stumped. The cart seems legit (I opened it up and it has Nintendo printed on the board) but the manual and box just don't seem right to me. They're almost too new feeling.

What to do what to do...

Take some good pictures and get Gafs opinion.

Het_Nkik

Circle of the Moon has a funky feeling box iirc. I got my boxed copy from a friend and he got his from the store so I know it's legit, but I remember thinking it felt different from normal GBA boxes as well.

I can double check when I get off work later today.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is this thread only for collection, or also for playing? Played some Belmont's Revenge yesterday, but couldnt really get anywhere. At least it felt much better than the awful Castlevania: The adventure (and the music totally rocks!).

All the stuff I got today. Some of it's not gameboy but I got it all together. The stuff on the left; the SP, Mario Advance and Mario Kart I got on ebay for $65. All the pokemon stuff on the right I got from a guy that posted an ad online for $80. The cable is the gameboy advance to gamecube one. Unfortunately he only had the case for platinum and not the others. I checked them all out and thanks to the thread and some help from posters in here I think they're all legitimate.

vrHCTgL.jpg

Def Jukie

Circle of the Moon has a funky feeling box iirc. I got my boxed copy from a friend and he got his from the store so I know it's legit, but I remember thinking it felt different from normal GBA boxes as well.

I can double check when I get off work later today.

Yeah, I'll check my copy out as well but I'm pretty sure it lacks the inside cardboard tray if I remember correctly. It has a little slot as part of the box like later N64 games did. It's the only game that I can think of that I own that's like that. I bought my copy years ago on clearance at a Target or another store like that so I know it's not a bootleg.

Def Jukie

I just checked my copy Peagles. It's exactly the same as yours, black and white manual and all. I suspect it's just a later repressing of the game. It's definitely a legit version of the game. The initial copies must have had color manuals and different packaging.

Peagles, does the back of your manual have trademark info for Krazy Racers for whatever reason? If it does, then I believe quite a few copies of the game have that error. For some reason, a fair amount of copies of the game have black and white manuals with that one error on the back.

It had to have been during the first print, because I recall getting it around launch with a friend, and I got a color manual while he got a monochrome one.

It's definitely legit, though.

Peagles

Here's my legit-copy that I bought at like Best Buy or something when the game came out for comparison:

Thanks! The only pics I could find online were just like yours so I was thinking, whaaat?

I just checked my copy Peagles. It's exactly the same as yours, black and white manual and all. I suspect it's just a later repressing of the game. It's definitely a legit version of the game. The initial copies must have had color manuals and different packaging.

I asked the seller straight up and he said he bought it himself from EB brand new many years ago. He also mentioned the subsequent printings too, so I bet it is this.

Peagles, does the back of your manual have trademark info for Krazy Racers for whatever reason? If it does, then I believe quite a few copies of the game have that error. For some reason, a fair amount of copies of the game have black and white manuals with that one error on the back.

It had to have been during the first print, because I recall getting it around launch with a friend, and I got a color manual while he got a monochrome one.

It's definitely legit, though.

Haha yes it does have the Krazy Racers trademark on the back, how bizarre!

Sol1dus

Hey guys. I got my first Micro from a fellow gaffer last week. Very good condition and I'm just waiting to get back home so I can play all my games on it. Quick question where is a good place to get import game cases? I mostly just want the cases but if I get the games that's fine too. :p I used to live in Korea and their GBA game cases were awesome.

Morfeo

Played some Oracle of Seasons yesterday. This is actually the only Zelda-game (well, counting the major ones) I havent beat, but its been so long that I had no clue what I was doing and where to go lol. Could have used an in-game log or something, for cases like that.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet Jesus, someone put up a platinum SP, Circle of the Moon, Metroid Fusion, Zelda: LttP, Donkey Kong NES Classics, Advance Wars 2, and Midway's Greatest Hits all CIB on Craigslist in town for a ridiculous price. I hope it's not sold. This is what I get for not looking at CL again before bed last night.

katkombat

Banned
No one appears to have one in the BST thread, so ill ask here.

Anyone be willing to trade Metroid: Fusion or Zero Mission (preferably the latter) for my Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda?

Morfeo

Hey, I didnt realize we were allowed to trade stuff here. Can we buy and sell stuff in here as well?

Az987

all good things
Ugh.

Have you tried buying it complete with the box and instructions and everything?

5 or so years ago I bought quite a few GBA games off of ebay and none are counterfeit but I always buy everything complete.

I'm sure it's happened before but I doubt most people selling counterfeit cartridges would go to the trouble of making a box and insturctions to go with it.

You'll probably have to pay a little bit more though than just the game.

Grabbed these today at 1,000 yen a piece. I'm only one game away to owning a complete collection of the MMZ games with their respective boxes.

They had Breath of Fire II as well, but it didn't have a box and was 3,000 yen. Lol. Also, can we please talk about how fucking much I love the JP GBA boxes and box art. It's like crack.

John Blade

Damm....better stop looking into this thread sometime. Just got myself a small bundle of Gameboy Adavance and Gameboy games and a system for 90 dollars. Nothing special but will post it up here when I have some time to take a pic.

Update: Here is the pics of the pickup.
DSCN9992_zps871d3a0e.jpg

DSCN9994_zps5b716d23.jpg

Haibane

Grabbed these today at 1,000 yen a piece. I'm only one game away to owning a complete collection of the MMZ games with their respective boxes.

They had Breath of Fire II as well, but it didn't have a box and was 3,000 yen. Lol. Also, can we please talk about how fucking much I love the JP GBA boxes and box art. It's like crack.

How I ended up with almost all Japanese versions of GBA games. I think it might be the small discrete logo but they're just so clean and gorgeous looking.

Madness

I had almost all of those games listed in the OP until some junkie broke into our house and stole everything while I was at school. They caught him robbing another house a week later in the same area, but couldn't recover my stuff.

Lost my game boy pocket which was ice blue, my purple game boy color, all my games, my game boy Advance, etc.

My brother lost more monetary wise and the way they know it was him, he was wearing the jacket from my brothers Jordan tracksuit or whatever. He stole all my brothers clothes, his xbox etc.

Almost all of my games couldn't be replaced. The sad thing is, I've kept all my boxes and manuals since I was a little kid, and so I have like hundreds of game boy/GBC/GBA boxes and manuals but not the games.

ant1532

Banned
I finally took some pictures of my Gameboy since I put the backlight in. Anyone interested should go to nonelectronics.com, this is the V3 Ultra Lime. I actually replaced the front plate with a chrome one from the same site, it's reflective silver and doesn't distract when playing, blends right in. It's so hard to get the screen to show up well in pictures, but the image is rich and vivid in real life. Got a pic of an import too...

b0f62826-0756-4587-9455-b8eea86e409a.jpg

f7ec0226-3bc7-45e5-87b4-db03e664c43a.jpg

5275dfdb-5a0d-46f0-be75-ef47bc524016.jpg

nice! so you're saying in real life the light doesn't make everything look green right?

Sol1dus

I had almost all of those games listed in the OP until some junkie broke into our house and stole everything while I was at school. They caught him robbing another house a week later in the same area, but couldn't recover my stuff.

Lost my game boy pocket which was ice blue, my purple game boy color, all my games, my game boy Advance, etc.

My brother lost more monetary wise and the way they know it was him, he was wearing the jacket from my brothers Jordan tracksuit or whatever. He stole all my brothers clothes, his xbox etc.

Almost all of my games couldn't be replaced. The sad thing is, I've kept all my boxes and manuals since I was a little kid, and so I have like hundreds of game boy/GBC/GBA boxes and manuals but not the games.

That sucks man. But since you have the manuals and box its just a matter of regaining your collection which should be cheaper since you don't need to get the box and manual with them. Just a thought. :l

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
nice! so you're saying in real life the light doesn't make everything look green right?
You can choose which color you want, so yeah mine's lime and it definitely looks as green as in the picture. I was just saying that the contrast is a lot better than in that shot. You can choose the 'white' backlight too so it looks more like the original, I just thought green looked cooler.

Dash Kappei

You see, I've never been lucky in finding deals at flea markets, primarily because in Italy they're just an excuse to sell pirated shit, and secondly because even while living in London for 5+ years all I could find were countless FIFA copies for Megadrive and whatnot... But all of that changed in snap of my finger, yesterday.

Yes, I even got stuff I already had just to replace them 'cause guys let me tell you, this stuff was brand new, shrink wrapped even. You guys probably don't know, following mostly US game if I had to take a guess, bout a factory selead copy of Minish Cap fetches from €200 till €280. Link to the past goes usually past 80€ for a sealed copy at the very least.

Mind you, don't be jelous but happy for me since I've never got the sweet deals I hear every so often from you guys with Craiglist and whatnot, this is my first time ever getting a cool deal instead of getting screwed over ahah!
Well, this is what I've got yesterday for €50 at the "mercatino domenicale do San Valentino". I also havr an appointment for next week cause he got at least 100 or so more games for any kind of console. Oh god :-Q

Now hopefully all of them are legit, although he had even the receipt so I don't see why not, plus the only one I'm opening is Minish Cap cause the others I've got already.

8PobWws.jpg

53pMXRg.jpg

Any suggestions on getting a micro? I doubt I could find one where the screen is clean.
The only way to ensure would be to buy a new one. If you're getting it second-hand ask the seller for some macro photos of the screen to ensure there are no scratches or dust trapped behind the screen.

Dash Kappei, It looks like your front label has an embossed number stamped into the lower right corner. That is a good indicator it's a legitimate game.

Sol1dus

You see, I've never been lucky in finding deals at flea markets, primarily because in Italy they're just an excuse to sell pirated shit, and secondly because even while living in London for 5+ years all I could find were countless FIFA copies for Megadrive and whatnot... But all of that changed in snap of my finger, yesterday.

Yes, I even got stuff I already had just to replace them 'cause guys let me tell you, this stuff was brand new, shrink wrapped even. You guys probably don't know, following mostly US game if I had to take a guess, bout a factory selead copy of Minish Cap fetches from €200 till €280. Link to the past goes usually past 80€ for a sealed copy at the very least.

Mind you, don't be jelous but happy for me since I've never got the sweet deals I hear every so often from you guys with Craiglist and whatnot, this is my first time ever getting a cool deal instead of getting screwed over ahah!
Well, this is what I've got yesterday for €50 at the "mercatino domenicale do San Valentino". I also havr an appointment for next week cause he got at least 100 or so more games for any kind of console. Oh god :-Q

Now hopefully all of them are legit, although he had even the receipt so I don't see why not, plus the only one I'm opening is Minish Cap cause the others I've got already.

I was in Bologna all of last semester and I didn't find any of these shops! :(

Dash Kappei

Well, there's none I could find either. As I've said this was the first time, and it was at the saturdays's flea market in my hometown.

Anyway, the guy got Sabre Wulf new shrink wrapped for €30 and I heard it's kinda rare, but the only evidence of its supposed value was only around here since when looking at eBay prices they're like 20€ or less. Should I bite? I have no interest in the game, it would only be for reselling it for a hefty profit. Yay or nay?

Also, is the Minish Cap I showed on the previous page before the guy triple posted, legit?
Love that art on the Zelda TWW SE special cover tho!

Top Bottom