• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I threw away all my boxes a few years ago when I switched all my games to DS cases with printed covers. That was a dumb move, but since I never plan on selling them, not a big loss. But here's my collection:

I still want to grab some other stuff, especially rpgs, but I'm wary of all the bootlegs out there. Is there a list anywhere of known bootleg carts?

Best practices for printing those out?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried buying it complete with the box and instructions and everything?

5 or so years ago I bought quite a few GBA games off of ebay and none are counterfeit but I always buy everything complete.

I'm sure it's happened before but I doubt most people selling counterfeit cartridges would go to the trouble of making a box and insturctions to go with it.

You'll probably have to pay a little bit more though than just the game.

Hi, sorry I missed this, but no, I bought cartridge only.

I bought Metroid Fusion complete though, and that was the real deal. Guess I just have to pay up!

Salsa

some guy on Ebay is selling these colored SPs (101) and im kinda tempted

http://myworld.ebay.com/b_blume09?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

$(KGrHqZHJC4E8+y0NY!ZBPYRZJhivQ~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJCYFCkDC0E1yBQtw9pWuHw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqFHJDMFCfle+CcCBQtw1TG-tg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!iUFB6)JG7+VBQt)CwS,(!~~60_57.JPG

Reclaimer

I like the teal and white ones. Won't the paint rub off or scratch off if you play it much?

I don't think they are painted. They are SPs in a new "knockoff" shell. I've seen similar ones in person and they are pretty good shells.

People have been selling these "new shell, new screen cover" handhelds for a while, and you can find similar stuff with the DS and older gba models.

Often you can just buy the shells a la carte and do the swap yourself.

Ill try to post some of the shell swaps I've done later. (But I usually only use official Nintendo SP shells and systems)

Mzo

How is Kirby and the amazing mirror?
It's fucking crazy.

It's like a Kirby/Metroid game with ridiculously good animation, awesome powers and 3 other color Kirbys running around separate from you that you can call for help (or that can be controlled by friends).

For some strange reason it's really boring to play.

Het_Nkik

It's fucking crazy.

It's like a Kirby/Metroid game with ridiculously good animation, awesome powers and 3 other color Kirbys running around separate from you that you can call for help (or that can be controlled by friends).

lol, perfect description.

Teknoman

It's fucking crazy.

That does sound crazy lol.

baphomet

Does anyone have any experience in modding the original gameboy? Im going to do a Pro sound mod and a bivert mod, but I have a question about the bivert mod. If I solder the bivert chip in there. What type of polarizing screen am I going to install? It would be an inverted screen right, not a regular one? So the two inverts will cause the normal covered screen?

I have been thinking of getting into collecting GBA games. Never played the system but I am very interested in at least getting one and a few of the highly praised games for it.

That being said I have been looking at the different versions of the system. Which version is the one to get? The original version looks a bit more comfortable for someone like me with big hands. Any thoughts?

I have been thinking of getting into collecting GBA games. Never played the system but I am very interested in at least getting one and a few of the highly praised games for it.

That being said I have been looking at the different versions of the system. Which version is the one to get? The original version looks a bit more comfortable for someone like me with big hands. Any thoughts?

I personally prefer the original landscape oriented GBA too. Mod it with a backlit AGS-101 screen and you've basically got the perfect Game Boy, completely compatible with all GB games.

I have big hands too and I will say the Advance SP makes it hard for me to hit the L and R buttons. I've never tried a Micro, but the original advance is better ergonomically for people with bigger hands like us. As was mentioned, I still got the SP anyway because it has a backlight which was more important to me personally.

Your choices are:

Original Version - Probably the most comfortable to hold, but no backlight for the screen. Also uses alkaline batteries.

SP - Has a front lit screen. Clamshell design for ease of portability, but not as comfortable to hold as the original. Can be awkward to press the L/R buttons if you have bigger hands. Also, a bit awkward if you want to play original game boy / game boy color games as the carts stick out of the bottom quite a bit. Also has a built in rechargeable battery (similar to every major handheld to come out after).

SP (Model # 101) - Exactly the same as the SP but with a much nicer backlit screen.

Micro - Probably the most expensive of the bunch to buy used. Has a nice screen - similar to the SP 101. The thing really is micro... it can be difficult to play with if you have bigger hands. Also has a rechargeable battery. The only model that can't play old GB/GBC games.
---
The Micro is probably my favorite of the bunch, with the SP 101 in 2nd. I'm sure that I'd like the original a lot more if I played one with a modded screen though.

Reclaimer

Does anyone have any experience in modding the original gameboy? Im going to do a Pro sound mod and a bivert mod, but I have a question about the bivert mod. If I solder the bivert chip in there. What type of polarizing screen am I going to install? It would be an inverted screen right, not a regular one? So the two inverts will cause the normal covered screen?

Correct. The first invert comes from simply rotating the polarization film 90 degrees. A polarizing film should come with the backlight, you remove the original one when you remove the reflective backing off the LCD glass. Bam, colors inverted, that simple.

The second invert (giving you back "normal" colors, but at a higher contrast ratio) comes from soldering a bivert chip to the pcb. This can actually be a bit more dangerous than many people make it out to be. It's more difficult on a gameboy pocket. I've lost a few gameboy pocket internals because of a bivert attempt (maybe 20%?) It's no HUGE loss, as I just use the screen, buttons, case, etc in another system. It's all easily put to use.

Usually the problems arise when disconnecting the traces on the pcb, or (most often?) the bit more jostling around inside the system causes LCD failures somewhere else from a tweaked LCD ribbon cable.

But I suppose that's the risk from any mod, especially on something so old with fairly fragile internal components. :)

baphomet

Correct. The first invert comes from simply rotating the polarization film 90 degrees. A polarizing film should come with the backlight, you remove the original one when you remove the reflective backing off the LCD glass. Bam, colors inverted, that simple.

The second invert (giving you back "normal" colors, but at a higher contrast ratio) comes from soldering a bivert chip to the pcb. This can actually be a bit more dangerous than many people make it out to be. It's more difficult on a gameboy pocket. I've lost a few gameboy pocket internals because of a bivert attempt (maybe 20%?) It's no HUGE loss, as I just use the screen, buttons, case, etc in another system. It's all easily put to use.

Usually the problems arise when disconnecting the traces on the pcb, or (most often?) the bit more jostling around inside the system causes LCD failures somewhere else from a tweaked LCD ribbon cable.

But I suppose that's the risk from any mod, especially on something so old with fairly fragile internal components. :)

Thanks for the response. That's what I thought, but when reading a product description is was somewhat confusing. I've got a few spares to try the bivert on, so if I mess one up it won't be the end of the world.

emb

I recently found a GBA at a yard sale.

The system itself was the retro NES model/color. The bottom part of the black panel over the buttons is cut off for some reason (from start/select down), the screen looks like it has a screen protector but doesn't, and in general the case has several scratches. Plays fine, though all the games I tried generally took some blowing and retrying.

It came with Excitebike, Donkey Kong, LoZ, THPS (2 or 3?), GT3, and Spyro: Season of Flame all CIB, as well as a razor scooter game, a pirate SMB3 cart that doesn't even work (I thought it'd be legit since it was CIB), a labeless Dr. Mario (GB), Super Mario Land II with a horribly ruined label, and another copy of DK (NES GBA). Besides that were the charge cable, charge cradle and like four carrying cases.

I ended up paying $30. I thought it was going to be a steal for that model of GBA and several CIB games... but realizing how bad the shape of the system is, and that SMB3 is a fake, I'm not sure it was even a good purchase. I plan to keep Zelda, Spyro, and a loose copy of DK. You guys think I can make any money on it (or at least get back what I paid) if I throw it on eBay as a lot?

John Blade

I recently found a GBA at a yard sale.

The system itself was the retro NES model/color. The bottom part of the black panel over the buttons is cut off for some reason (from start/select down), the screen looks like it has a screen protector but doesn't, and in general the case has several scratches. Plays fine, though all the games I tried generally took some blowing and retrying.

It came with Excitebike, Donkey Kong, LoZ, THPS (2 or 3?), GT3, and Spyro: Season of Flame all CIB, as well as a razor scooter game, a pirate SMB3 cart that doesn't even work (I thought it'd be legit since it was CIB), a labeless Dr. Mario (GB), Super Mario Land II with a horribly ruined label, and another copy of DK (NES GBA). Besides that were the charge cable, charge cradle and like four carrying cases.

I ended up paying $30. I thought it was going to be a steal for that model of GBA and several CIB games... but realizing how bad the shape of the system is, and that SMB3 is a fake, I'm not sure it was even a good purchase. I plan to keep Zelda, Spyro, and a loose copy of DK. You guys think I can make any money on it (or at least get back what I paid) if I throw it on eBay as a lot?

I would start with this site as a rough idea of how much people are willing to spend for the game. Just remember, it`s not the final price but it give you an idea.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

emb

I would start with this site as a rough idea of how much people are willing to spend for the game. Just remember, it`s not the final price but it give you an idea.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Thanks for the response!

I actually do know about that site though, and I've consulted it; I guess more so than what I actually asked, I'm wondering what to make of the handheld's value proposition given that it's an uncommon item in unusually poor condition. The completed listings I see generally involve GBAs that are in good condition or like new.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorry to ask again, but do you guys think this CiB Minish Cap I've bought is legit?
I have an appointment with the guy to get tons of stuff for me and my friends but I'd like to know if he's selling the real deal or bootlegs before wasting money and having to slice the guys in half with a Master Sword lol

How do I even look for fakes?
Thanks for ANY help whatsoever!

John Blade

Sorry to ask again, but do you guys think this CiB Minish Cap I've bought is legit?
I have an appointment with the guy to get tons of stuff for me and my friends but I'd like to know if he's selling the real deal or bootlegs before wasting money and having to slice the guys in half with a Master Sword lol

It does look like the European release cover. You can check it from Gamefaqs site.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/920670-the-legend-of-zelda-the-minish-cap/images

As for the game. Check for the Nintendo font.

Did you miss my reply lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The only way to ensure would be to buy a new one. If you're getting it second-hand ask the seller for some macro photos of the screen to ensure there are no scratches or dust trapped behind the screen.

Dash Kappei, It looks like your front label has an embossed number stamped into the lower right corner. That is a good indicator it's a legitimate game.

Damn, yeah I missed this one lol.
I was looking for dat "quote-green" on the page. Anyway, very cool, pheeew ;)

Teknoman

I dunno if I should keep playing amazing mirror to see if I start to like it (only Kirby game i've ever disliked was Epic Yarn, gameplay wise anyway), or try to trade it.

Might end up trying to trade it to someone else for Drill Dozer or Sonic Advance 1.

emb

I dunno if I should keep playing amazing mirror to see if I start to like it (only Kirby game i've ever disliked was Epic Yarn, gameplay wise anyway), or try to trade it.

Might end up trying to trade it to someone else for Drill Dozer or Sonic Advance 1.

I never reached a point where I liked it. I thought the mechanics were fine, but even as a metroidvania fan, hated the way levels were structured. Both the other games you mentioned are far better, imo.

Teknoman

I never reached a point where I liked it. I thought the mechanics were fine, but even as a metroidvania fan, hated the way levels were structured. Both the other games you mentioned are far better, imo.

Yeah like Mzo said, you'd think Kirby + Metroid style would = Hell Yeah! But the way everything is structured...just feels off.

Probably doesnt help my trading prospects lol.

Still need the Castlevania trio as well.

Yeah like Mzo said, you'd think Kirby + Metroid style would = Hell Yeah! But the way everything is structured...just feels off.

Probably doesnt help my trading prospects lol.

Still need the Castlevania trio as well.

I was so excited when it came out as an ambassador game, but was super disappointed when it was bland. I never ended up finishing it either. :(

Even Circle of the Moon (IMO the weakest of the IGAvanias) is more fun.

Definitely real. I don't think there are any European fakes, though if there are, they're very few. Also any paperwork that isn't the instruction manual is a dead give away for it being legit - they never bother faking that.

I was so excited when it came out as an ambassador game, but was super disappointed when it was bland. I never ended up finishing it either. :(

Even Circle of the Moon (IMO the weakest of the IGAvanias) is more fun.

IGA actually wasn't involved in CotM.
I don't like CotM nearly as much as AoS, but I thought it was more fun than HoD, and it has the best soundtrack of the 3 (naturally because most of it is remixes from older CV titles, heh).

I don't like CotM nearly as much as AoS, but I thought it was more fun than HoD, and it has the best soundtrack of the 3 (naturally because most of it is remixes from older CV titles, heh).

Yeah, CotM was the last game from the team that made the N64 Castlevania games, before they got merged into Iga's team or something.

John Blade

Playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the GBA and I got to say, it`s an okay game but kinda addict right now to try to finish the game. Is they any other type of game on the GBA that is similar to Dark alliance type game.

Yeah, CotM was the last game from the team that made the N64 Castlevania games, before they got merged into Iga's team or something.

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.

I'm actually playing through HoD for the first time now. I had heard a lot of mixed opinions on it, but I have to say I like it more than I expected. The soundtrack is kinda weak though I think.

Teknoman

Came across a game I never knew existed today, Samurai Deeper Kyo. I know of the anime, just never knew there was a GBA game based on it. Kinda feels like a Musou style game.

EDIT: Would it be better to find the Castlevania Double Pack to avoid getting a fake Aria or Harmony?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wish I was tech-savvy enough to do a backlight mod on my Red Gameboy SP. love the color but always wanted the screen of the SP 2

emb

Any recommendations for Gargoyles Quest? Out of all four releases in the series, it is the cheapest by far.

I only played it briefly, but I thought it was pretty fun. Seemed promising.

What's the fourth game though? GQ, GQII, and Demon's Crest all come to mind, but I don't remember another.

I only played it briefly, but I thought it was pretty fun. Seemed promising.

What's the fourth game though? GQ, GQII, and Demon's Crest all come to mind, but I don't remember another.

In Japan, II was backported from Famicom to Game Boy with additional content. Another high-priced game if you buy secondhand.

So I picked up Monster Rancher Explorer for Gameboy Color after someone had suggested it here. It's a puzzle game in the same style as Solomon's Key, where you can break and build blocks as you work your way to the key and exit.

TVvmLiZ.gif

Cute graphics, looks good on the GBA SP screen, and the levels seem well designed, and there's 60 of 'em.

Top Bottom