• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I bought Aladdin recently as I never really got to play it on snes, and it seems to be pretty rare. Got it for $20 too which is cool.

That flying carpet level, holy shit.

Oh, and I finally got Silent Hill Play Novel. Complete, and aside from some aging, the box looks great. As a Silent Hill fan, I really wanted that unusual piece in my modest collection.

I bought Aladdin recently as I never really got to play it on snes, and it seems to be pretty rare. Got it for $20 too which is cool.

That flying carpet level, holy shit.
I had a look for this a few months back, but there are too many fakes floating around on eBay. COld to find an auction that looks decent.

Kirby's Block Ball is surprisingly good for a Breakout clone.
Argh, I didn't know about this. Will have to look it up.

I had a look for this a few months back, but there are too many fakes floating around on eBay. COld to find an auction that looks decent.

I know, it's scary. In fact, I'm reluctant to buy gba/ds games online for fear of getting scammed. However, Aladdin came from a retro game brick&mortar, and I checked to make sure it was genuine.

LAM09

this thread is about Gameboy collecting...
But to answer your question, if you like Kirby's other sidescrolling platform games, this one is more of the same. It's definitely one of the prettier 3DS games imo.

I know, but I couldn't seem to find a dedicated thread for DS. Thanks for the reply anyway.

mgtn

I think GB/GBA has a great selection of shumps games.I spent a lot of time playing Steel Empire,Darius R,Project S11 and Magical Chase.

So gaf ¿Wich is yours Favorite Shumps games on GB/GBA?

I think GB/GBA has a great selection of shmups games.I spent a lot of time playing Steel Empire,Darius R,Project S11 and Magical Chase.

So gaf ¿Wich is yours Favorite shmups games on GB/GBA?

Gradius Galaxies is a must and one of the best in the series in my opinion.

PixelPeZ

Finally got an OG GBA, with what I thought was a 101 SP, but no luck, just the tacky silver tribal one. So I've got to buy the screen separately.

But I'm now set to try the screen mod, but I've been looking around and can't seem to find any of the 101 screen kits. The only seller on ebay is pretty expensive and the shipping to my country is near half the price of the kit? RGC seems to be out of stock, any other places to check?

Peagles

Finally got an OG GBA, with what I thought was a 101 SP, but no luck, just the tacky silver tribal one. So I've got to buy the screen separately.

But I'm now set to try the screen mod, but I've been looking around and can't seem to find any of the 101 screen kits. The only seller on ebay is pretty expensive and the shipping to my country is near half the price of the kit? RGC seems to be out of stock, any other places to check?

They aren't being produced any more :(

Tattooth

Does anyone know where to get JP GBA box protectors that ship to UK or Europe. There are places on US eBay but I would rather not pay more than double just for shipping.

First post here. Hello! I've been with the Game Boy since release, but the only handheld system I missed entirely was the GBC. Well, I say entirely - I did buy Metal Gear Solid and still own it to this day, thankfully - but everything else GBC-related passed me by. I'm making up for lost time now, I have a modded unit on the way and I'm on the hunt for games to feed it with.

One of my first ports of call was Pokemon Crystal, but damned if I'm having trouble spotting legit carts among the fakes, or even finding a copy that isn't either a) hammered to bits, or b) ludicrously expensive. Should I resign myself to scanning ebay until the right cart comes up, or is there some sort of lovely site out there that reconditions/sells carts that I've yet to stumble across?

And if anyone has, say, a top five (or ten?) GBC list, I'm all ears :)

Mr. Virus

First post here. Hello! I've been with the Game Boy since release, but the only handheld system I missed entirely was the GBC. Well, I say entirely - I did buy Metal Gear Solid and still own it to this day, thankfully - but everything else GBC-related passed me by. I'm making up for lost time now, I have a modded unit on the way and I'm on the hunt for games to feed it with.

One of my first ports of call was Pokemon Crystal, but damned if I'm having trouble spotting legit carts among the fakes, or even finding a copy that isn't either a) hammered to bits, or b) ludicrously expensive. Should I resign myself to scanning ebay until the right cart comes up, or is there some sort of lovely site out there that reconditions/sells carts that I've yet to stumble across?

And if anyone has, say, a top five (or ten?) GBC list, I'm all ears :)

The two Zelda Oracle games are excellent, as is Link's Awakening DX (especially if you've not played the original). Mario Bros. DX is alright too, despite the small game screen space.

Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, Wario Land 3, Dragon Warrior 3, Capcom Zeldas, and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge are my favorite GBC titles. I hear good things about Metal Walker too. I really want to try it.

Dinskugga

Mine quite small collection so far. Have only been hunting 2-3 months. Its really hard to get the games in good condition to a good price here in Sweden. Retro games prices have skyrocket the last years. Especially Nintendo hardware and software.

At the moment Im hunting a GBA SP AGS 101 in good shape and its hard. Especially when i want the box too. Then im looking for Advance Wars (1-2) and the last Mario Advance Game.

Foto%202015-02-03%2014%2051%2010.jpg

The two Zelda Oracle games are excellent, as is Link's Awakening DX (especially if you've not played the original). Mario Bros. DX is alright too, despite the small game screen space.

Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, Wario Land 3, Dragon Warrior 3, Capcom Zeldas, and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge are my favorite GBC titles. I hear good things about Metal Walker too. I really want to try it.

Thanks both. I still have my original Link's Awakening GB, is it worth grabbing DX?

Will check out the rest :)

Thanks both. I still have my original Link's Awakening GB, is it worth grabbing DX?

Will check out the rest :)

I'd only get the DX release if you plan on replaying the game but you don't need both. TBH, I like the old one more because I wasn't too fond of the color choices in the DX version, haha.

I'd only get the DX release if you plan on replaying the game but you don't need both. TBH, I like the old one more because I wasn't too fond of the color choices in the DX version, haha.

Cool, seems like one of the pricier ones to get in good condition (Zelda tax). I'll stick with the original then.

Mine quite small collection so far. Have only been hunting 2-3 months. Its really hard to get the games in good condition to a good price here in Sweden. Retro games prices have skyrocket the last years. Especially Nintendo hardware and software.

At the moment Im hunting a GBA SP AGS 101 in good shape and its hard. Especially when i want the box too. Then im looking for Advance Wars (1-2) and the last Mario Advance Game.

What a nice collection. Good luck finding SMB 3, it's great fun. I've always hoped to buy the eReader so I can play the new levels I heard about.

-KRS-

Ah a fellow Swede. Welcome! :)
Yeah prices are insane here these days. I'm all NTSC on retro systems these days because of it (well that and 60hz), and I'm mostly buying from ebay because it's cheaper. That should really say a lot. I hear people complaining about ebay prices a lot these days but it's still much cheaper than buying locally in Sweden most of the time!

GBA is harder though since there are so many fakes on ebay for that system. :( I only have two GBA games overall. Haven't focused on it at all really. I have Minish Cap and... Catz. Yes that's right. Catz. The Ubisoft game. My sister bought it for her DS, alright? :p So really, I only have one GBA game.

Slermy

That looks pretty cool! Reminds me of Jamestown, probably because of those coins flying around.

What the fuck is that game ? I need it now.

Yep, this sums up my reaction when I first found out about it.

Unfortunately, it's fairly hard to track down. On top of that, the game had a planned, but canceled US release and a rather generic name. You'll also have to sort through a lot of "Space Invaders" results.

The detail of the game comes at a cost. The ship is rather large, so it's very easy to get hit, making the game extremely difficult.

daydream

Banned
With WarioWare! Twisted in my possession now, I finally have all the WW games.

I got it for 18 bucks in 'very good' condition. Did not expect it to be CIB, as well. I only collect cartridges but I'll make an exception for this, I guess.

Slermy

Nice grab!

Twisted is really good. I'm only missing the original and DSi Wario Wares myself. Such a fantastic series.

Jayne

Friend of mine texts me out of the blue and tells me he's found his old copy of Metroid Fusion and that it's mine if I want it. Needless to say I accepted ^^ Now I finally have it the for the GBA. Man, that made my day. :]

ebe8765737.jpg

First post here. Hello! I've been with the Game Boy since release, but the only handheld system I missed entirely was the GBC. Well, I say entirely - I did buy Metal Gear Solid and still own it to this day, thankfully - but everything else GBC-related passed me by

Just jumping in to say I bought metal gear for the gbc on release day. finished it a few times in a couple of weeks then traded it in.

I hate young me.

Friend of mine texts me out of the blue and tells me he's found his old copy of Metroid Fusion and that it's mine if I want it. Needless to say I accepted ^^ Now I finally have it the for the GBA. Man, that made my day. :]

ebe8765737.jpg

Coincidentally I started my replay of Fusion a few weeks ago. It seems to be a longer game than Metroid: Zero Mission, which I never really thought about. I think the ADAM convos add to the game time considerably.

Jayne

That's a great friend you have there :D MF is firmly in my top 5 favorite GBA games for sure. I should replay it soon...
Tell me about it! I was surprised as hell when he texted me but couldn't be happier :D I can't wait to give it a shot, it'll be my first time playing it!

Coincidentally I started my replay of Fusion a few weeks ago. It seems to be a longer game than Metroid: Zero Mission, which I never really thought about. I think the ADAM convos add to the game time considerably.
I'm currently playing through Zero Mission now, I've only got about 7 hours play time in it but I've been taking my time and only playing every now again. Now that I've got Fusion I'm excited to get through it and get to Fusion. Fusion just looks like such a unique game

Teknoman

Now I want Metriod V again... and an enemy as fearsome as SA-X. Always liked her better than Dark Samus (wish Dark Samus was a little more organic looking/ kept that giant eyeball from her emergence.

Now I want Metriod V again... and an enemy as fearsome as SA-X. Always liked her better than Dark Samus (wish Dark Samus was a little more organic looking/ kept that giant eyeball from her emergence.
The fear SA-X gave me in game from those little moments...no way could Dark Samus match up to that. It's surprising how a 2D GBA game did that.

Top Bottom