• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

As someone who has been trying to do the same thing for a year or so now: Crystal is going to be your biggest hurdle. I've been able to find every other game for a decent price and in great shape (I'm super picky), but Crystal is just crazy. Either they want $100+ or the box looks horrible. I've been looking for a good in-between copy for a long time now.

Theres a copy in my local retro shop, good nick, but its €80 (91 dollars) not sure if thats reasonable or not.

Theres a copy in my local retro shop, good nick, but its €80 (91 dollars) not sure if thats reasonable or not.

If it's in really good shape, then that's probably not too bad. Not a great deal or anything, but I've pretty much resigned myself to having to pay a premium in order to get a "pristine" copy of it. If it has any places/bends/creases/etc on the box though, that's probably not that great of a price.

If it's in really good shape, then that's probably not too bad. Not a great deal or anything, but I've pretty much resigned myself to having to pay a premium in order to get a "pristine" copy of it. If it has any places/bends/creases/etc on the box though, that's probably not that great of a price.

I'l take a good look at it, tomorrow, cheers :) The DS games are easy enough to get, but any further back is expensive. I got a good boxed copy of leaf green for 51 dollars, but it hasn't arrived yet. Gonna start with red and go forward from there.

Marow

Yeh, the refresh rate isn't as good. I've tried to make a comparison but the screens are so hard to film without a decent camera.
That's strange. Do you happen to know if, say, DS Phat and DS Lite have the same issues?

Is it /very/ bad or just noticable if you actively try to look for it?

Peagles

That's strange. Do you happen to know if, say, DS Phat and DS Lite have the same issues?

Is it /very/ bad or just noticable if you actively try to look for it?

I used the WarioWare Twisted title screen to test just now using GBA, GBA SP 001, GBA SP 101, GB Micro, DS, and DS Lite. Not sure if you're familiar with this game, but I like to use this as a test because it's fast moving and the lines moving outward are quite distinct with a good refresh rate and kinda muddied with a bad one.

Here's how I'd rank them from best to worse, and with a vague score too:
GBA = GBA SP 001 (10/10)
GB Micro (8/10)
DS Lite (7/10
GBA SP 101 (6/10)
DS (4/10)

ChrisDM

Thank you all so much for the awesome responses. I think from all the new information y'all have just posted, it'll be between a normal non modded Game Boy Advance and a Game Boy Micro. I just wish it was easy for me to go to a store and hold a Micro and see the screen before purchasing. Not enough retro game stores near me in Northern New Jersey.

tumblr_njpaqpJFlZ1u9p36io1_540.jpg

Didn't expect the copy of ruby to turn up as fast it did. My only issue with the leaf green is theres no fucking what do you call it, cardboard thing in the box to stop it rattling round, the over lay? Anyone know where I could get one?

Marow

I used the WarioWare Twisted title screen to test just now using GBA, GBA SP 001, GBA SP 101, GB Micro, DS, and DS Lite. Not sure if you're familiar with this game, but I like to use this as a test because it's fast moving and the lines moving outward are quite distinct with a good refresh rate and kinda muddied with a bad one.

Here's how I'd rank them from best to worse, and with a vague score too:
GBA = GBA SP 001 (10/10)
GB Micro (8/10)
DS Lite (7/10
GBA SP 101 (6/10)
DS (4/10)
Thank you :D

I've played countless of GBA games on my DS Phat and wasn't too bothered, so I should survive. Wish there was an ultimate version of SP, but no can do.

Also, Wario Ware Twisted is so good! It never released in Europe, but I managed to find a used copy when on vacation in USA <3

alf717

Got these today as belated birthday gifts. Never knew how small Japanese GBC/A boxes are.

Aww man as a huge Mega Man fan I love seeing other people picking up these games. I tried playing the game myself and enjoyed what I could play of it but the language barrier for me is what got me to stop. There seems to be a good game to be played but for me not being able to read what is going on is a huge stopping point. Too bad Capcom didn't bother translating this one. I believe a fan translation is in the works but that seems to be a long way from completion. Congrats on the pickups.

I am trying to find a gameboy advanced sp 101 (brighter screen) in good condition but prices at ebay are crazy, over 80 bucks. Anybody know other places to find?

Mzo

I am trying to find a gameboy advanced sp 101 (brighter screen) in good condition but prices at ebay are crazy, over 80 bucks. Anybody know other places to find?

Don't know what kind of answer you're expecting.

Keep an eye on selling/trading forums like Nintendo Age, I recently bought a pink 101 for a friend there for $30. Also check garage sales, flea markets, and local retro game stores. You're going to have to buy one from someone that has it, basically, so it's going to be random.

I think I've only come across an AGS-101 once from flea markets / garage sales. I passed it up b/c the seller wanted $35 and it looked rough as hell. No charger either and the battery was dead so no way to test it there either.

Good luck!

Yep and be diligent. Keep your eye on Craigslist. 95% of ads won't point out what model it is, so don't be afraid to ask the seller to check the model number.I run into them every once in a while without even trying, so if you try your ass off, you should find one fairly quick.

leroidys

Ninja Five-O and the Mother 3 GBM are pretty much the only things I still want to acquire for my collection. After grabbing some of the low hanging fruit, collecting starts to get really fucking expensive :(

Ninja Five-O and the Mother 3 GBM are pretty much the only things I still want to acquire for my collection. After grabbing some of the low hanging fruit, collecting starts to get really fucking expensive :(

Playing more as you collect will allow you additional time to scrap up enough spare change for what you want.

Enjoy your low-hanging fruit, my friend. ;-)

Aww man as a huge Mega Man fan I love seeing other people picking up these games. I tried playing the game myself and enjoyed what I could play of it but the language barrier for me is what got me to stop. There seems to be a good game to be played but for me not being able to read what is going on is a huge stopping point. Too bad Capcom didn't bother translating this one. I believe a fan translation is in the works but that seems to be a long way from completion. Congrats on the pickups.

Huge Mega Man fan myself. 4.5 is one I've been looking for a good while. Glad I was able to get it, and as a gift no less. I hope I can find a battle chip gate some day as well.

Yeah, would have been nice to have that. Of course now they're all available via the 3DS virtual console so it lives on in spirit.

If I'm not mistaken, they were planning on properly colorizing the games too. That would have been a great selling point.

I agree the 3DS VC offers a good, cost-effective alternative. Especially when the sales hit.

jerry1594

What are the rarest GBA games? To my knowledge Famicom Mini Z-Gundam: Hot Scramble and Famicom Mini 2nd Super Robot Wars go for like 200 and 400 dollars respectively.

What are the rarest GBA games? To my knowledge Famicom Mini Z-Gundam: Hot Scramble and Famicom Mini 2nd Super Robot Wars go for like 200 and 400 dollars respectively.

Not to conflate rarity with value, but I think the Shin Megami Tensei remakes are like $150 each. I rarely see them show up so maybe they are rare.

jerry1594

If I remember correctly the Gundam game was a promotional item and only 2000 were raffled, and the Super Robot Wars game was a bonus item that came with a Srw game on the gamecube.

FSLink

Banned

Finally got around to replacing the buttons on my Rose Colored Gaming backlit GBA with official ones. I think it looks pretty sweet with the silver case + grey buttons. And it feels better too!

Jebral

It's been a long time, but I finally got another GBA SP. I traded mine off for a DS, that for a DS lite, then that for a 3DS, and that again for a 3DS XL. Along the way I lost the ability to play my GBA games, but I never got rid of my favorites! Nice to play them on my favorite revision of native hardware again. I had a Micro, but found it to be too small to be practical. I wasn't out specifically to get one, but I fumbled across one of the backlit ones for $35 at a mom and pop store. They had several, and I bought the one that had the best buttons.

1iob.jpg

Best portable hardware of all time. It's so nice to put a game in, turn it on, and it plays the game and only that. No menus or anything :)

Back to Aria of Sorrow, then Maybe Zero Mission!

Top Bottom