• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Hey, is there a colourway that you could get the GB, GBP & GBC to match in?

Finally going to complete my handheld collection, which is basically just me rebuying everything I sold when I was younger for pennies :(

Cheers guys!
Black and Yellow do seem to be the only options (plus Clear I guess) as the Red, Blue and Green Colors don't match the rest.
Yellow is interesting, didn't know there was a GBL too, plus I think I already have a Yellow GBP in one of these boxes somewhere...
Found this with a bit of digging:

bydefault2015-02-07at91043pm_zps6d8bbb25.jpg

Looks great, I think this is what I'll go for!
I've been unboxing a lot of old stuff recently and I realised if I grab a Silver Micro I'll have all the Advance models in Silver.
Added to those I have all the DS models in White and with the N3DS next week I'll have all the 3DS units in White too.
This was all unintentional, I guess I'm just boring when it comes to colours haha.
So the GB models are all I need, I thought if I can get those to match too the collection will look pretty neat overall :)

Rich!

Don't see any reason to upgrade unless the build quality is way better.

It should be. Also, if you have an EZ Flash already then the only upgrade you should be doing is to the GBA Everdrive when it's out.

Did they update the software too?

No idea yet.

Any chance they've made the build better, and importantly, drag and drop?

Dunno and dunno

All the above questions and does it work with the Micro?

Of course, and the GB player.

Fireblend

Banned
Seems they go for $40. Dunno if I'd rather wait for the rumored Everdrive GBA, potentially paying double the amount but guaranteeing to have the best thing if it ever releases.

I'm currently playing through Zero Mission now, I've only got about 7 hours play time in it but I've been taking my time and only playing every now again. Now that I've got Fusion I'm excited to get through it and get to Fusion. Fusion just looks like such a unique game

It's my personal favorite 2D Metroid for sure. So amazing that it came out on the same day as Metroid Prime, which might just be my favorite Metroid game of all time. Fuckin' 2002 was kickass.

Now I want Metriod V again... and an enemy as fearsome as SA-X. Always liked her better than Dark Samus (wish Dark Samus was a little more organic looking/ kept that giant eyeball from her emergence.

The atmosphere is part of the reason why I like Fusion so much. There hasen't been too many games I've played where the atmosphere just completely envelops me. Majora's Mask was one, Fusion was another.

prateeko

It should be. Also, if you have an EZ Flash already then the only upgrade you should be doing is to the GBA Everdrive when it's out.

No idea yet.

Dunno and dunno

Of course, and the GB player.

God I want the EverDrive GBA so bad. Dealing with the EZ Flash software is a pain since I have to hunt down a windows computer

EDIT: crap, that's not looking so good 😞

Is the gameboy micro worth getting? That screen looks amazing.

Yeah, it's a nice complement to anyone's Nintendo handheld collection, if nothing else, to have a spare for friends. Mind you, Game Boy Micro has its own charger(Wierd I know), but it does have the better backlit screen that DS Lites are known to have. No compatibility with GameBoy or Game Boy Color games as well.

If nothing else, it makes for a great novelty item. :)

Seems they go for $40. Dunno if I'd rather wait for the rumored Everdrive GBA, potentially paying double the amount but guaranteeing to have the best thing if it ever releases.
Same here. IIRC, the Game Boy/Game Boy Color cart launched in April last year. Based on when he originally teased the GBA Everdrive (if that's what it was) I would say he's probably on pace to launch in the spring again. I'm super hyped-- hope it happens.

Depends on price really, I have two GBA SP's already, wanna focus on the pokemon game collecting.

Well don't forget that if you feel like saving some money, you could just get Emerald, FireRed and/or LeafGreen, because Ruby and Sapphire were remade for 3DS.

As an anecdote, normally I get rid of the old versions for remakes, but I don't feel compelled for the R/S remakes. Probaly because of the remakes being 3D, making it feel like a new game instead of just another pokemon remake.

I have Blue, Yellow and Crystal because those were technically never remade(One could make an argument for Blue = LeafGreen but still).

Well don't forget that if you feel like saving some money, you could just get Emerald, FireRed and/or LeafGreen, because Ruby and Sapphire were remade for 3DS.

As an anecdote, normally I get rid of the old versions for remakes, but I don't feel compelled for the R/S remakes. Probaly because of the remakes being 3D, making it feel like a new game instead of just another pokemon remake.

I have Blue, Yellow and Crystal because those were technically never remade(One could make an argument for Blue = LeafGreen but still).

I want every pokemon game (boxed) thats my current primary goal.

ChrisDM

This may sound like a weird decision I'm trying to make, but I'm bouncing between a Game Boy Advance that's modded with a backlight or a Game Boy Micro. Any suggestions? I'm sure a case could be made for either, really. Modded GBAs don't come cheap though! It's also super hard to judge quality of the unit over eBay. I wouldn't mind just getting a GBA with no back light but from what I hear pretty commonly, the backlight makes a world of difference.

This may sound like a weird decision I'm trying to make, but I'm bouncing between a Game Boy Advance that's modded with a backlight or a Game Boy Micro. Any suggestions? I'm sure a case could be made for either, really. Modded GBAs don't come cheap though! It's also super hard to judge quality of the unit over eBay. I wouldn't mind just getting a GBA with no back light but from what I hear pretty commonly, the backlight makes a world of difference.
How are you with tiny screens? The Micro looks amazing but I just can't play for long because the screen is so tiny. I'd say go for a GBA. And yes, the backlight makes a world of difference. Good luck finding one in decent nick if you decide to go for it.

GBM's screen is too small imo. The standard GBA feels better in my hand as well.

There are a lot of cases where I kinda prefer non-backlit screen to the backlit one. The SP-101 screen is really ghosty; games that scroll really fast become kinda hard to play. Plus the brightness on mine at least (modded into OG GBA) doesn't hold up well to blinding mid-day sunlight.

Fireblend

Banned
The Micro's backlit screen is insanely good. I'd love to have a modded GBA, but I would never even think of trading my Micro for one. I don't mind the small screen either. I've played through tons of games on it (the MMBN series, Minish Cap, the Golden Suns, Mother 3, Rhythm Heaven, Fire Emblem, both Advance Wars, tons of platformers and currently working my way through Metroid Fusion) and I've never for one second wished it was bigger.

I love it.

Your ideologies seem to clash.

Try looking on Craigslist for a Micro, I seem them available on there for cheap from time to time.

Well I really want pokemon games, I've been meaning to collect them for literally years, but its only recently I've had the disposal income. Whereas a gameboy micro really isn't needed.

Well I really want pokemon games, I've been meaning to collect them for literally years, but its only recently I've had the disposal income. Whereas a gameboy micro really isn't needed.

As someone who has been trying to do the same thing for a year or so now: Crystal is going to be your biggest hurdle. I've been able to find every other game for a decent price and in great shape (I'm super picky), but Crystal is just crazy. Either they want $100+ or the box looks horrible. I've been looking for a good in-between copy for a long time now.

Marow

There are a lot of cases where I kinda prefer non-backlit screen to the backlit one. The SP-101 screen is really ghosty; games that scroll really fast become kinda hard to play. Plus the brightness on mine at least (modded into OG GBA) doesn't hold up well to blinding mid-day sunlight.
Huh, AGS-101 has ghosting issues? Is there any comparison somewhere?

Top Bottom