• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Fireblend

Banned
What are people's thoughts on the Mother Gameboy Micro. I'm possibly thinking about buying one off of eBay but that price is like a deal-breaker. If it's worth it I'll lean towards a possible yes if not then I'll skip out on it and just buy a Famicon Gameboy Micro.

It's my retro gaming holy grail, but I would never be able to justify spending that kind of money on it, honestly.

mstevens

I need to get out of this thread...... almost made the completely irresponsibly decision to buy a Mother 3 game boy micro on ebay.

Impotaku

Awww yissss, i have been after a complete and mint copy of this game for so long but it rarely ever turns up complete and without the box looking like crap. Finally one surfaced on ebay i was prepared to go all out in a bidding war but in the end hardly enyone bid, woohoo £6 bargain. I can now ditch my cart only copy i have.

Love this game, one of the few gameboy games i want a mint copy of, just a few more left to track down.
99561628a.jpg

Yes, you guys were right. Was an idiot, the pokemon games are bad fakes. Opened a case with ebay, hope I'll get my money back.

Otherwise I've been really lucky, these were the first fakes I received.

EDIT: Turns out the seller didn't know these were fake and agreed to a return and refund of return shipping cost as well. Seems to be a decent guy. So nothing lost but some time. I will be more careful in the future.

E367XjA.jpg

Labrys

Original is frontlit, 101 revision is backlit.

AGS101VsAGS001.jpg

AGS101 on the left, launch SP 001 on the right.

Mine is a AGS101 but it isn't that bright with the light on, is there something wrong with mine?

I'm looking into more GBA stuff lately, I want to get some more games, especially the ones from my childhood.

EDIT: Turns out the seller didn't know these were fake and agreed to a return and refund of return shipping cost as well. Seems to be a decent guy. So nothing lost but some time. I will be more careful in the future.

E367XjA.jpg

It's kind of surprising how common this is. I worked at a Disc Replay and maybe 25% of the GBA Pokemon games people brought us were these fakes and not a single person knew they were fake. These are all over eBay and Amazon for like ten dollars each so every non-collector kid who suddenly wants to play an old Pokemon game just goes for these cheap copies not realizing there's any difference. They look off if you've seen the actual carts, but they play just like a legit one. Even the Half Price Books around here has sold these boots as legit carts.

Peagles

Fireblend

Banned
Honestly, I'm close to purchasing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Ninten...1048184415?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5b0c49c25f

but I'm really worried about it dying on me at some point, as I am horrible with repairing electronics. Gah.
Screw buying food for months. You can survive on the sheer lumunius energy that radiates out of that console.

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo consoles are forever. I bought a couple of replacement batteries for mine the other day and replacing them is very straightforward.

Wish I had that kind of money T_T

mstevens

It's not complete, that would drive me crazy, lol.

If it makes you feel better, I've never seen a non-functioning GB Micro. Aside from the couple I've seen that look like they were thrown full force onto a concrete floor.

As crazy as this sounds, I'm not really getting it to "collect". Would use the hell out of the system itself and do nothing with the other extra stuff. I did want the bag, though.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of money, but it's just like buying a new PS4/Xbox One imo.

edit: Also, could use some quick advice since I'm not a collector or ebay regular. What do you guys think about that listing? The console looks in pretty good shape to me. Fair price? If you guys give me the go-ahead, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

side note #2. This would handle all my gba needs. Was hoping to see some sort of custom game boy color backlit, and I'm surprised there aren't any on ebay. Tons of gba and original game boys though. Is that not a thing?

As crazy as this sounds, I'm not really getting it to "collect". Would use the hell out of the system itself and do nothing with the other extra stuff. I did want the bag, though.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of money, but it's just like buying a new PS4/Xbox One imo.

edit: Also, could use some quick advice since I'm not a collector or ebay regular. What do you guys think about that listing? The console looks in pretty good shape to me. Fair price? If you guys give me the go-ahead, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

side note #2. This would handle all my gba needs. Was hoping to see some sort of custom game boy color backlit, and I'm surprised there aren't any on ebay. Tons of gba and original game boys though. Is that not a thing?
That is a LOT of money, my friend. If it's not for collection purposes, I'd suggest you find a different Micro and spend less money or go for an AGS-101 model.

Peagles

That is a LOT of money, my friend. If it's not for collection purposes, I'd suggest you find a different Micro and spend less money or go for an AGS-101 model.

My thoughts exactly. If you don't want to "collect" just pay a normal price. If you get an AGS-101 or modded AGB-001 with a 101 screen you can even play GBC games too.

Hey everyone, i'm looking for a carrying case for my GBA. I did the screen mod and im super proud of it, and want to keep it in good condition. Any suggestions/recommendations?

drspeedy

Anyone have experience repairing the AC adapter port on a GBC? I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the port, but it only runs on battery power. I don't have another AC adapter handy to test, but if it is the hardware/charging port, is that fixable?

Hey everyone, i'm looking for a carrying case for my GBA. I did the screen mod and im super proud of it, and want to keep it in good condition. Any suggestions/recommendations?

I throw mine in a neoprene DS case by PowerA when I'm not using it.
It's a pretty bare bones soft case with no additional pockets for game storage, so it might not be what you're looking for depending your needs. Works fine for me as it's not spectacularly bulky and I just use the EZF4 when traveling.

My thoughts exactly. If you don't want to "collect" just pay a normal price. If you get an AGS-101 or modded AGB-001 with a 101 screen you can even play GBC games too.

I've seen about a dozen or so non-functional micros in my time. But mind you, I've probably handled a couple hundred.

In general, it's pretty damned hard to break Nintendo portables completely (though the stupid GBC is sort of a piece of crap in terms of quality).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Found some CIB Game Boy games in good condition at a small game shop in downtown Newark. Including Quarth (puzzle/shmup crossover, I haven't played yet though), Revenge of the Gator, and Kwirk (Atlus!).

Do you guys have any opinion on the Mother 3 fan translations available on Etsy, for example: EDIT: link removed

Not as a collectible, but to play the game. Is it a good translation? Does saving work well? And is it battery saving or NAND saving? And finally, how on earth do you flash a GBA cartridge?

Labrys

Do you guys have any opinion on the Mother 3 fan translations available on Etsy, for example: [[/url]

Not as a collectible, but to play the game. Is it a good translation? Does saving work well? And is it battery saving or NAND saving? And finally, how on earth do you flash a GBA cartridge?

When you boot up the game it says that the translation isn't for sale, I wouldn't buy it.

Found some CIB Game Boy games in good condition at a small game shop in downtown Newark. Including Quarth (puzzle/shmup crossover, I haven't played yet though), Revenge of the Gator, and Kwirk (Atlus!).

Cool game. Early title, I think. I seem to recall my friend who got a GB at launch (or very near so) having this game along with Super Mario Land. Didn't realize it was from Atlus, though!

EDIT: Just watched a couple vids. Really great puzzle game. I need to get this one when I get my modded OG GBA w/ 101 screen.

Fireblend

Banned
When you boot up the game it says that the translation isn't for sale, I wouldn't buy it.

The fan translation itself isn't supposed to be sold, but in this case, applying it to a ROM and placing it in a cart might be what's being sold? No idea how that'd work legally speaking. Either way afaik there's no 100% legal way to play Mother 3. Maybe even linking to that page could get you in trouble here.

About the quality of the translation itself, if this is tomato's translation (which is the only one I know of), then it's pretty much perfect. Above average even for a commercially distributed game. Nintendo could just use it to produce its own NA cartridges and they wouldn't have to change a thing (he's even suggested this himself). It's as professional a translation as there can be.

As for the battery thing or the quality of the cart, I have no idea. Ask the seller?

Labrys

The fan translation itself isn't supposed to be sold, but in this case, applying it to a ROM and placing it in a cart might be what's being sold? No idea how that'd work legally speaking. Either way afaik there's no 100% legal way to play Mother 3. Maybe even linking to that page could get you in trouble here.

About the quality of the translation itself, if this is tomato's translation (which is the only one I know of), then it's pretty much perfect. Above average even for a commercially distributed game. Nintendo could just use it to produce its own NA cartridges and they wouldn't have to change a thing (he's even suggested this himself). It's as professional a translation as there can be.

As for the battery thing or the quality of the cart, I have no idea. Ask the seller?

I figured it doubled in this case, since you're basically buying the rom and the translation. Most legal way to play it is to buy the game, rip the rom, apply the translation patch to the ripped rom, and then play it either with an emulator or flashed to a slot2 device or something similar. It's kind of scummy to just buy the game off etsy, especially when the seller has tons of others that are just translations/romhacks flashed to the same blue cart.

In regards to quality though, yes, it's excellent. I'm playing it right now for the 3rd time about, it never gets old in my opinion.

Thanks, guys! And I removed the link, thanks for the warning. Was a bit surprised myself that this is tolerated on etsy, ebay seems to be stricter.

Gameboy415

What are people's thoughts on the Mother Gameboy Micro. I'm possibly thinking about buying one off of eBay but that price is like a deal-breaker. If it's worth it I'll lean towards a possible yes if not then I'll skip out on it and just buy a Famicon Gameboy Micro.

Oh man, this thing will always be one of my biggest game-collecting regrets...

I was living in Japan from 2005-2010 and came across a Mother 3 Game Boy Micro at a resale shop a few years after it had released.
It was complete in box (with a copy of Mother 3 and the Franklin Badge), in immaculate condition, and was on sale for 6,500円 (about $65).
I had the clerk take it out of the display case, looked it over, but ultimately decided not to get it because I thought it was 'ugly'.

*weeps*

Passing on that Mother 3 set still stings to this day but thankfully I did pick up a few other LE Game Boy Micro handhelds while I was over there. :)

LEGBMicro.jpg

Bar81

I was living in Japan from 2005-2010 and came across a Mother 3 Game Boy Micro at a resale shop a few years after it had released.
It was complete in box (with a copy of Mother 3 and the Franklin Badge), in immaculate condition, and was on sale for 6,500円 (about $65).
I had the clerk take it out of the display case, looked it over, but ultimately decided not to get it because I thought it was 'ugly'.

*weeps*

Passing on that Mother 3 set still stings to this day but thankfully I did pick up a few other LE Game Boy Micro handhelds while I was over there.

If it was ugly to you, why would the fact that it's now rare/expensive change that?

leroidys

*weeps*

Passing on that Mother 3 set still stings to this day but thankfully I did pick up a few other LE Game Boy Micro handhelds while I was over there. :)

LEGBMicro.jpg

Yeah, I feel that. Sometimes I kick myself for not picking it up when it was closer to $150, but I didn't because it is pretty ugly. At least you can be consoled by the fact that you own the FFIV GBA, one of the prettiest LEs ever released.

drspeedy

Anyone have experience repairing the AC adapter port on a GBC? I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the port, but it only runs on battery power. I don't have another AC adapter handy to test, but if it is the hardware/charging port, is that fixable?

Self bump- still trying to figure this one out without pulling the GBC apart. Hoping someone here has some feedback.

Conversely, I haven't had any luck confirming the AC adapter is working. Any tips for testing the adapter with a multimeter
Maybe I could try the old 9V 'lick it test', amirite? ;)

Gameboy415

If it was ugly to you, why would the fact that it's now rare/expensive change that?

I still think it is fairly 'ugly' for an LE system but I'm a big fan of the Mother/Earthbound series and I wish I had bought the GB Micro for my collection when I had the chance.
At least I picked up a copy of Mother 3 (and the Mother 1+2 combo cart for GBA) so it's not all bad. :)

Yeah, I feel that. Sometimes I kick myself for not picking it up when it was closer to $150, but I didn't because it is pretty ugly. At least you can be consoled by the fact that you own the FFIV GBA, one of the prettiest LEs ever released.

Yeah, it's pretty slick. The Pokemon Center one is my favorite though!

mstevens

I still think it is fairly 'ugly' for an LE system but I'm a big fan of the Mother/Earthbound series and I wish I had bought the GB Micro for my collection when I had the chance.
At least I picked up a copy of Mother 3 (and the Mother 1+2 combo cart for GBA) so it's not all bad. :)

Yeah, it's pretty slick. The Pokemon Center one is my favorite though!

Opinions are a funny thing sometimes ;) I first saw it in the "best looking console" thread a couple weeks back I think and thought it looked amazing. I'm a huge earthbound fan, but had never played mother 3.

The ones you have look amazing as well.

Top Bottom