• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

terrisus

vRfnzAQ.jpg

Finally got around to replacing the buttons on my Rose Colored Gaming backlit GBA with official ones. I think it looks pretty sweet with the silver case + grey buttons. And it feels better too!

I really think that a backlit original GBA is the most beautiful handheld console ever.

I really think that a backlit original GBA is the most beautiful handheld console ever.

When it comes to design / aesthetics, for me nothing tops the clear Famitsu Game Boy Light followed by the DSi.

Backlit GBA is great looking though, and due to the available library, probably my favorite handheld to actually play.

terrisus

When it comes to design / aesthetics, for me nothing tops the clear Famitsu Game Boy Light followed by the DSi.

Backlit GBA is great looking though, and due to the available library, probably my favorite handheld to actually play.

Never used a GB Light, but I agree that I love the design of the original GB/variations as well.

I would always use my GBC for playing GB/GBC games, and original GBA for playing GBA games.

Fireblend

Banned
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a game case similar to those that are available on CN that hold 18 3DS games but for GBA games? I could really use something like that.

Man, Drill Dozer is really good. Kind of a shame there's no sequel, there are plenty of great ideas in it.

Not every game needs a sequel. That said, it should have sold better so we could get more non-pokemon retail releases from GameFreak. It's because of Drill Dozer's middling sales that HarmoKnight is digital-only, and will soon disappear into the ether unless Nintendo starts releasing compilation cartridges.

Gameboy415

I've never seen this one before
ScLmaTi.jpg

I'm fairly certain that SP was a limited promotional version for Famicom's 20th Anniversary - the katakana at the bottom right reads 'Famicom 20th Anniversary Present Campaign'.

There was also another Red/White Famicom version that saw a more widespread release in Japan after the anniversary edition:

famisp-main-full.jpg

Rich!

I'm more worried about the voltage the battery takes to charge, it should be the same in all regions, and the AC adapter would be stepping up / down to the necessary voltage.

ac adapters for all nintendo handhelds are multi-region, right from the original Game Boy right up to the New Nintendo 3DS.

Buy a Micro from another region and use the charger you have available in yours. don't worry - they all are set to output the correct voltage into the console itself.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm more worried about the voltage the battery takes to charge, it should be the same in all regions, and the AC adapter would be stepping up / down to the necessary voltage.

For Nintendo portables, the chargers are their power source, so they're the ones responsible for outputting the right amount of voltage to the console, which is the same for all regions.

Been playing Mario and Luigi on an original GBA.

I think it's probably the most comfortable gaming console I've ever held.

I must get a backlit one now.

jerry1594

I'm fairly certain that SP was a limited promotional version for Famicom's 20th Anniversary - the katakana at the bottom right reads 'Famicom 20th Anniversary Present Campaign'.

There was also another Red/White Famicom version that saw a more widespread release in Japan after the anniversary edition:

famisp-main-full.jpg
Yeah i've seen the normal one before. I want to get one but if it isnt backlit i'll get a famicom micro instead. The gold one was club nintendo japan contest prize

Original is frontlit, 101 revision is backlit.

AGS101 on the left, launch SP 001 on the right.
Here's another difference between the screens that isn't as flattering:
I used the WarioWare Twisted title screen to test just now using GBA, GBA SP 001, GBA SP 101, GB Micro, DS, and DS Lite. Not sure if you're familiar with this game, but I like to use this as a test because it's fast moving and the lines moving outward are quite distinct with a good refresh rate and kinda muddied with a bad one.

Here's how I'd rank them from best to worse, and with a vague score too:
GBA = GBA SP 001 (10/10)
GB Micro (8/10)
DS Lite (7/10
GBA SP 101 (6/10)
DS (4/10)

terrisus

The supply of backlit screens ran out. They are getting scarce as hell and prices have risen.

Seriously?

I had been hoping to buy one in a few years once my finances are (hopefully*) in a better position.

(This is never going to happen. But I can dream >.>)

Rich!

Yeah i've seen the normal one before. I want to get one but if it isnt backlit i'll get a famicom micro instead. The gold one was club nintendo japan contest prize

Best idea: get one and an AGS-101 backlit model. Get a triwing screwdriver. Swap the shells and buttons over. Backlit Famicom model!!

Rich!

Seriously?

I had been hoping to buy one in a few years once my finances are (hopefully*) in a better position.

(This is never going to happen. But I can dream >.>)

They are going for £150 right now here in the UK. That's on its way to $300.

Dunno about the american prices, but they aren't gonna be pretty.

Try paging Peagles to see if she is still doing backlit GBAs. I think she has run out, but won't hurt to ask. I have a top quality mod from Peagles, great job.

Try paging Peagles to see if she is still doing backlit GBAs. I think she has run out, but won't hurt to ask. I have a top quality mod from Peagles, great job.

Peagles posted recently (i believe in the BST thread) stating that she was doing some more mods, but afaik, her list is filled up. Probably worth a PM though if you're anxious to get one.

Gunsmithx

I'll add my vote to this too, the work on mine was top notch plus pegs is awesome :)

But yeah might be too late but you can always try.

I'm in no rush personally, can't really justify having one.

Just wanted to recreate the old times with my gba when I was recovering from surgery all those years ago.

Top Bottom