• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

MetalSlug

Original is frontlit, 101 revision is backlit.

AGS101VsAGS001.jpg

AGS101 on the left, launch SP 001 on the right.

I never knew that. I'm happy that I bought that tribal edition then :)

As far as eBay is concerned, the majority of GBA games out there are fakes!

Its insane. Even worse than the DS bootlegs, IMO...at least those are easy to spot.

What's the best way of spotting GBA fakes on eBay? Any give aways on the cartridges besides the title sticker?

I'd like to pick up LTTP/Four-Swords and Mario Advanced 4, but I'm wary of cartridge only auctions.

What's the best way of spotting GBA fakes on eBay? Any give aways on the cartridges besides the title sticker?

I'd like to pick up LTTP/Four-Swords and Mario Advanced 4, but I'm wary of cartridge only auctions.

I'd like to know this as well. Except for the photo and some obvious signs, its hard to tell from a limited photo on a selling.

I guarantee you it isn't the same brightness.

While you're certainly correct, I remember a buddy of mine getting an AGS-101 when they were new and the difference never really struck me as being substantial. Not sure if that was me (though honestly I was a pretty observant kid) or if it really is just a super nice frontlighting job. Judging by how nice GBCs look with an AGS-101 light, I'm inclined to say the latter.

I really need to get on Thursday Custom's order list for a GBC.

Craft

As far as eBay is concerned, the majority of GBA games out there are fakes!

Its insane. Even worse than the DS bootlegs, IMO...at least those are easy to spot.

I don't think it's too bad if you're buying in the UK as counterfeit carts have American style labels which are usually a dead give away to being fake.

Have you ever came across a fake cart with a European label before Rich?

Rich!

I don't think it's too bad if you're buying in the UK as counterfeit carts have American style labels which are usually a dead give away to being fake.

Have you ever came across a fake cart with a European label before Rich?

Never

That's a good point

Augustiner

Neo Member
It's taken me forever to find a copy of this, but finally I have it. Game is fun as hell.

Agreed! I remember trading in a "good" game at EB Games for Racing Gears Advance, and getting a weird look from the employee, ha ha. This was when the GBA was winding down in retail support I don't remember what I traded, but he must have thought I was crazy :p

psylah

What's the deal with the fake carts, anyways? Do they still boot up the game as you'd play on a legit copy?

If it plays the same as a legit copy, and your end-goal is to play through the game, should it matter?

I would see the 5 GBA Pokemon games on aliexpress for essentially chump-change, and even though I knew they were fakes, would consider buying them. I just didn't know if what was burned to the chips would be the same code.

OmegaX

What's the deal with the fake carts, anyways? Do they still boot up the game as you'd play on a legit copy?

If it plays the same as a legit copy, and your end-goal is to play through the game, should it matter?

I would see the 5 GBA Pokemon games on aliexpress for essentially chump-change, and even though I knew they were fakes, would consider buying them. I just didn't know if what was burned to the chips would be the same code.

I got a fake Mario Kart from ebay once. The game would start without sound, and it would crash before starting any race. I guess not all are like that but you never know.

1. Some games got save hacks so it can save, but the save memory is smaller than the original so you can only save in 1 slot instead of 3 or whatever the original game got.
2. Pokemon games might miss the RTC clock and the events.
3. If it's not patched correctly it might freeze or hang at certain points in the game.
4. The save game battery runs dry really fast, often less than a year.

I have a pirate cartridge with Pkmn Sapphire and Leafgreen, and they look the same kinda, and they play, but the text is really weird, like its been badly translated, and it all looks kinda off.

Craft

1. Some games got save hacks so it can save, but the save memory is smaller than the original so you can only save in 1 slot instead of 3 or whatever the original game got.
2. Pokemon games might miss the RTC clock and the events.
3. If it's not patched correctly it might freeze or hang at certain points in the game.
4. The save game battery runs dry really fast, often less than a year.

I have one fake game:
It's a piece of junk, crappy label, sides of the outer shell aren't flush, and the game doesn't save.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
New CIB Contra Advance JPN (it's the "best version" budget line) is back in stock and cheap at PlayAsia, you better hurry up if you want to grab a copy

Galdius

New CIB Contra Advance JPN (it's the "best version" budget line) is back in stock and cheap at PlayAsia, you better hurry up if you want to grab a copy

Those "best version" games have some terrible box arts. The price is great but the box is very ugly. It's worth it if you don't mind the box.

Mercutio

Those Pokemon carts are fake

Wow, really bad fakes too. The closeup shows a sprue still attached to one of them. None of them even have the number stamp on the label, let alone the holographic-ish foil.

GBA games seem so much more commonly faked than anything else, it's quite depressing.

prateeko

Wow, really bad fakes too. The closeup shows a sprue still attached to one of them. None of them even have the number stamp on the label, let alone the holographic-ish foil.

GBA games seem so much more commonly faked than anything else, it's quite depressing.
Sadly the only way to be safe short of having open pics of the PCB is to buy from local (I.e. American) sellers who don't list a bunch of stuff with lots of pics. And even then there is a risk they inadvertently purchased a fake cart years ago.

I've ended up spending more just to buy from a seller k get to know and can trust. In the end it costs more but I'm less likely to get a fake.

Just snagged this little bundle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251842260861

Figured I might be lucky and this is a nice person from Alaska who does not know what his stuff is worth. Or it might be counterfeit and I got played. But I have a good feeling about this guy somehow.

The GBA Pokemon games are fakes. Dunno about Pokemon Pinball. Wario Land 3 and Kirby Tilt n' Tumble are good additions to anyone's gameboy library, and those combined with two systems for $60 isn't bad. Provided the systems work.

My local Half-Price Books is usually hit-or-miss, but I was pretty happy to find this today. I've heard the GB version is actually pretty good!

lRfJ4zTm.jpg

prateeko

The GBA Pokemon games are fakes. Dunno about Pokemon Pinball. Wario Land 3 and Kirby Tilt n' Tumble are good additions to anyone's gameboy library, and those combined with two systems for $60 isn't bad. Provided the systems work.

Yeah, I think pinball and the GBC/GB games are legit, but the Pokémon GBA carts are def fake. Two working systems and three good GB/GBC games is a fair deal, but I'd touch base with the seller and see about at least a partial refund if not an outright return since I'm sure the GBA Pokémon carts are why he bid in the first place.

Yeah seems to be a problem with painted handhelds and even controllers like the Platinum Wavebird. Better to go with colors that the plastic is actually molded in.

It's such a shame, I never realised it was quite so bad.
So many Game Boy's, Pockets and Colors still look immaculate today and are relatively easy to come across, but seemingly every SP and original DS has been trashed over time.
Thanks for the tip though!

There will be a slight decrease in quality, but you can always grab a shell off of ebay. I grabbed my black SP 101 from Craigslist and It was pretty beat up, will have to exchange shells one day.

I'd never actually considered this, which is stupid of me because I've been meaning to pick up a new shell for my DS Lite for a while now.
I've spent the evening checking out what's available and watching tutorials, cheers :)

Lum1n3s

What are people's thoughts on the Mother Gameboy Micro. I'm possibly thinking about buying one off of eBay but that price is like a deal-breaker. If it's worth it I'll lean towards a possible yes if not then I'll skip out on it and just buy a Famicon Gameboy Micro.

prateeko

Yeah the board assembly is ever so slightly wider and fatter than a standard GBA cart. I tried sanding, busting out the dremel... No dice.

Here's hoping the new (MicroSD) version of the carts are produced better.

Damn. I have a couple of throwaway games lying around (came bundled with other games) and I was thinking I'd take a stab at it at some point.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the new ones being made any better though.

I wish I had the know-how or the motivation to stick some GBA SP internals into a Gameboy Pocket. I love the Pocket so much, it's got a fantastic form factor. Been playing yellow on it and I'm reminded of how awful the dark ages before backlighting were.

Top Bottom