• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

mstevens

Does not compute.

I played Earthbound a ton as a kid, would bring the strategy guide with me to school and my friends and I would pour over it at recess. I just never got into the emulating stuff and so I haven't had a way to play mother 3.

I'll be playing it very soon, though!

Just got myself a copy of Drill Dozer. Game works and saves, however I don't feel any rumbling thus far. Isn't it supposed to rumble at the start screen and when you drill through walls? Or does that happen only later in the game? Is there any other way to check the rumbling functionality?

Just got myself a copy of Drill Dozer. Game works and saves, however I don't feel any rumbling thus far. Isn't it supposed to rumble at the start screen and when you drill through walls? Or does that happen only later in the game? Is there any other way to check the rumbling functionality?

Check the options screen. If you bought it used, maybe the previous owner disabled it.

Craft

No, it's enabled. So I guess it's broken.

Silly question but the cart you've got does look like this right:
drill_dozer_cart.jpg

Only I've noticed a number of fakes on Ebay recently which are just in a normal shell.

Silly question but the cart you've got does look like this right:
drill_dozer_cart.jpg

Only I've noticed a number of fakes on Ebay recently which are just in a normal shell.

Yes, also opened it up, and there is a little vibrating motor in there. It's definitely an authentic cartridge.

terrisus

So, following up on my post from a bit ago in this thread commenting on how I've wanted a backlit GBA for a long time...
And then people mentioning that they/screens for them were getting harder to come by, and so me worrying I woudn't be able to get one...

Thanks to the super-awesome Cloggerdude in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread:

I am so super-happy about this! =)

I know I've been selling some of my GB/GBC/GBA games lately to pay some bills and have some money for some other stuff (many of which have gone to awesome people in this thread <3)...
But I still have a bunch of them, and I haven't even listed some of my favorites that I have no plans to sell.

Man, I'm so excited to play through Final Fantasy Legend 1 on this thing! <3

two questions. 1) anyone know how to fix the buttons on a gbc? on all but 2 you have to press REALLY hard for it to register. and 2) anyone have a spare battery cover for a lime green gbc?

Do you know if the membrane is ripped? If not, a simple cleaning should fix your problem with the buttons.
Replacement battery covers are easy to find online.

So, following up on my post from a bit ago in this thread commenting on how I've wanted a backlit GBA for a long time...
And then people mentioning that they/screens for them were getting harder to come by, and so me worrying I woudn't be able to get one...

Thanks to the super-awesome Cloggerdude in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread:

I am so super-happy about this! =)

I know I've been selling some of my GB/GBC/GBA games lately to pay some bills and have some money for some other stuff (many of which have gone to awesome people in this thread <3)...
But I still have a bunch of them, and I haven't even listed some of my favorites that I have no plans to sell.

Man, I'm so excited to play through Final Fantasy Legend 1 on this thing! <3
That looks awesome. It's just like the one I got from Peagles. I especially like that it's battery powered, so if my SPs ever die on me, I'll have that to rely on. Not a fan of the dinky D-pad for Street Fighter though, much easier to play on a SP.

terrisus

That looks awesome. It's just like the one I got from Peagles. I especially like that it's battery powered, so if my SPs ever die on me, I'll have that to rely on.

Indeed, I'm a big fan of stuff being powered by regular batteries. So easy to just pop old ones out, put them into a charger (rechargeables are the way to go), pop in new ones, and keep right on gaming =)

Next time the power goes out, I'll be all set :þ

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Terrisus you lucky sob.

I've been wanting one of those for the last couple of years but I personally am not comfortable enough to do the handiwork myself as I don't even like screwing around replacing old cart batteries.

I've just got a GB micro and the retron 5(and a gb player too.) The old GBA had it just been invented with the 101 screen it would have been perfect as it was comfy to use and uses real batteries so no fear of some custom cells ever going out of style.

I feel the same way. I wish I had jumped on a backlit one when they were cheaper! You really can't beat the form factor of the OG model. Unfortunately it's hard to convince myself to pay the current asking price when I already have 2 Micros and a 101.

terrisus

Terrisus you lucky sob.

I've been wanting one of those for the last couple of years but I personally am not comfortable enough to do the handiwork myself as I don't even like screwing around replacing old cart batteries.

I've just got a GB micro and the retron 5(and a gb player too.) The old GBA had it just been invented with the 101 screen it would have been perfect as it was comfy to use and uses real batteries so no fear of some custom cells ever going out of style.

Yeah, I definitely feel very lucky =)

I have replaced a few batteries on games, that wasn't all that bad...
But I still wouldn't have felt confident at all in my ability to switch out a screen.

Plus, that was before my stroke >.> And now my vision and such is all messed up.
And so now there's no chance in the world I would attempt something like that =(

So, yeah, I'm very lucky to have gotten this =)

Can anyone recommend a good GBA cart holder? I've run out of spaces in the free ones I got from Nintendo Official Magazine back in the day, and now have too many loose ones lying around.

Do you know if the membrane is ripped? If not, a simple cleaning should fix your problem with the buttons.
Replacement battery covers are easy to find online.

Not sure, haven't gotten around to opening it. What's the best way to clean them.

Also what is the best way to remove superglue from a GBA shell?

Do you guys have any opinion on the Mother 3 fan translations available on Etsy, for example: EDIT: link removed

Not as a collectible, but to play the game. Is it a good translation? Does saving work well? And is it battery saving or NAND saving? And finally, how on earth do you flash a GBA cartridge?

I just bought one of these on Amazon. I've played the game before but the prospect of having the English translation on an actual cart was too much for me to pass up...plus I had a gift card.

Should be here on Thursday, I can post impressions of the cart quality then.

But yeah, if the translation is Tomato's (and there's almost no way it isn't) then it's great, probably couldn't be better even if Nintendo did one themselves.

redhairedking

I just bought one of these on Amazon. I've played the game before but the prospect of having the English translation on an actual cart was too much for me to pass up...plus I had a gift card.

Should be here on Thursday, I can post impressions of the cart quality then.

But yeah, if the translation is Tomato's (and there's almost no way it isn't) then it's great, probably couldn't be better even if Nintendo did one themselves.

I'm always very wary of those carts, especially on Amazon/Ebay. You have no idea of the quality and it can vary greatly from seller to seller.

I'm always very wary of those carts, especially on Amazon/Ebay. You have no idea of the quality and it can vary greatly from seller to seller.

Yeah, from what I've read even buying GBA games online that AREN'T repros has become kind of a crapshoot in recent years. Lot of bootlegs floating around. The seller had a good rating at least...we'll see I guess.

Mzo

I have the real Mother 3 boxed on my shelf. The flash cart would let me play the translation. I don't see the need to get some expensive repro.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Terssius I think I could handle the swap itself, it's the soldering that makes me nervous. I may not have had a stroke like you, but my hands have always done a little bit of shaking so I avoid it.

I've been able to tear down and pop buttons,rubber pads, even the ribbon cables to screens out of various Gameboy's in the past, but the project piece you have there is more than pulling a ribbon and playing with screws so that's what has stopped me.

I should just buckle down and buy one of them, but then other things I want more pop up that cost more than it does so I don't.

Got my Mother 3 English repro cart today. Took it for a brief spin but so far so good, looks and plays fine on my DS Lite, saving and all. Getting kinda pumped to play the game again on actual hardware.

Murky ethics of repro carts aside, I do think it's neat to own a physical version of this particular game that I can actually play.

Got my Mother 3 English repro cart today. Took it for a brief spin but so far so good, looks and plays fine on my DS Lite, saving and all. Getting kinda pumped to play the game again on actual hardware.

Murky ethics of repro carts aside, I do think it's neat to own a physical version of this particular game that I can actually play.

Are there different translation patches, or is there pretty much just one?

Ok so i managed to snag a brand NEW silver Micro but don't want to use it too much to kinda preserve it for a long time. Does anyone know here of a good protective case that i can put on while playing?

Ok so i managed to snag a brand NEW silver Micro but don't want to use it too much to kinda preserve it for a long time. Does anyone know here of a good protective case that i can put on while playing?

Just don't open it. At this point you're better off keeping it and just pick up a cheaper used version. You'll regret opening it years from now.

No i already opened it, in fact i exchanged an older ragged Micro i had for the new one at a store plus 55 euro so all in all he asked 85 euro for it. Pretty good deal still i think..

I only want it to PLAY on it since it is the only option here for me to play GBA games on a backlit machine without having to fiddle with any modding etc. plus i think games look best on the Micro! Still, since they are so hard to come by in decent condition i wanna preserve mine as long as possible WHILE playing it (color, scratches etc.) so i saw some people use these hard plastic cases where EVERYTHING (even the screen) is covered except for the buttons and the speakers. I just wish i knew what brand is best to get for those...

terrisus

Terssius I think I could handle the swap itself, it's the soldering that makes me nervous. I may not have had a stroke like you, but my hands have always done a little bit of shaking so I avoid it.

I've been able to tear down and pop buttons,rubber pads, even the ribbon cables to screens out of various Gameboy's in the past, but the project piece you have there is more than pulling a ribbon and playing with screws so that's what has stopped me.

I should just buckle down and buy one of them, but then other things I want more pop up that cost more than it does so I don't.

To be fair, the only thing I've done soldering on is game batteries. And even then I kind of "cheated" - after I removed the old battery, I soldered a bit of wire to the leads, and then soldered the other part of the wire to a battery holder, that I put in place inside the cartridge. That way next time I need to change it, it's just a matter of popping the old battery out and popping a new one in - no holder necessary.

That doesn't really work well for GB/GBC/GBA games though, since there's not really much space inside of the cartridge, like there is for NES/SNES/GEN games. Ah well...

But, still, it's just kind of something you have to dive in there and start doing. Maybe start on something easier/less expensive first to practice. But, it's really not that bad.

Mother 3 is the best game of that generation. And that includes all the console systems as well.

I imported it the day it came out in Japan, and played through it multiple times in Japanese. First just by kind of feeling my way along (I took 1 year of Japanese in college, but that wasn't nearly enough to be able to tell what was going on/read much), and then with translation guides once those were out. And, of course, have played through it countless more times since the translation patch. I highly recommend the game to everyone. I absolutely adore it <3

I even won a Review of the Month over on GameFAQs for my review of it (which, around the time it came out, I think was either the 1st or 2nd review they had for it), which got me a $30 Amazon gift card. So the game literally paid for itself :þ

Banjoman

What's the general consensus on the nes classic/famicom mini series? I only have Zelda II bought years and years ago but I was thinking to buy some more titles.
It seems like a cool collection to me.

Rich!

New EZ Flash IV is out and about now. Going for just over twenty quid here.

Micro SD is the main improvement, but I hear build quality is great too

Top Bottom