• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

jonno394

I was torn between an AGS-101 SP or a modded original GBA, the latter i'd like because of the form factor. However I didn't want to be fumbling about with batteries so went with the SP.

Just played Starfy 2 for an hour or so, and my hands were fine. The game is great fun, no idea what i'm doing half the time (with some of the "missions" in level) but still really enjoying it!

psylah

Has anyone attempted retr0brighting a clear DMG/Pocket? I haven't seen this done and thought I'd give it a try.

Not on my DMG or Pocket of course, I'll try to find one for parts on the cheap.

Bought a backlit GBA some time ago in order to get more involved in my GBA games again. Unfortunately box & manual only exist for approx. a third of them. Ignore the DS rumble pack. ^^

IyhxOSK.jpg

zaWV0UX.jpg
What happens if you put a DS rumble pack into a GBA?

For anyone interested, I went through another old magazine and compiled all of the Game Boy related material. This one is EGM from July 2001 when the GBA launched in the U.S..

*Linke Removed, don't want ban hammer*

I just picked up an AGS-101 off Craigslist for $20. The form factor of this thing is just awful, but the games have never looked better. I'm very seriously considering scrapping it so I can mod my normal GBA.

For anyone interested, I went through another old magazine and compiled all of the Game Boy related material. This one is EGM from July 2001 when the GBA launched in the U.S..

Careful, it's against the TOS to post copyrighted material such as magazine scans. Dunno what the statute of limitations is though.

TOS said:
C. Copyrighted Material

Full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images (e.g. magazine scans) are prohibited. Standard fair-use policies apply, and sources should always be attributed.

It is the unfriendliest shopping experience. I have to assume that someone who works there is loaded, living off of mommy / daddy's money, and doesn't give a shit if they actually sell anything. VGNY might have the same prices and a smaller store, but it's easy to find things there... and everything is clean.
Truly. The worse antisocial Gamestop experience still doesn't stack up. And I liked VGNY a lot, and even got a few 'deals'. Awesome selection and very, very friendly people.

Careful, it's against the TOS to post copyrighted material such as magazine scans. Dunno what the statute of limitations is though.

Ugh, I should have paid attention, thanks for the heads up. I was so excited to find my mag stash and wanted to share. Anyone interested, PM me.

On a side note, anyone own one of these:

http://www.k1gbasp.com/presell-revo-k101-plus-pouch-bag-headphone-4gb-card-p-47.html

The "plus" version looks like it's about to release. I'm tempted to get one of these in lieu of tearing up my AGS-101 and putting the screen in my AGB-001, that seems like a waste. The K101 isn't exatly like the original GBA, but it's pretty close and I love the form factor of the original 001 model.

1795582_10153075955634235_6870301899304084328_n_zps0zpeq8qw.jpg

Don't you guys regret when you sell your old collection just so you can afford a new system?

I did this several times when I was a kid, but that would be the only way to afford new systems because my parents could not afford giving me new systems and games all the time.

Thankfully, I now make some money on my own and I am slowly rebuilding my retro collection.

by the way, I just found a gameboy play it loud with the case and everything for 75 bucks. I think the price is good, what do you guys say?

Morts

Ugh, I should have paid attention, thanks for the heads up. I was so excited to find my mag stash and wanted to share. Anyone interested, PM me.

On a side note, anyone own one of these:

http://www.k1gbasp.com/presell-revo-k101-plus-pouch-bag-headphone-4gb-card-p-47.html

The "plus" version looks like it's about to release. I'm tempted to get one of these in lieu of tearing up my AGS-101 and putting the screen in my AGB-001, that seems like a waste. The K101 isn't exatly like the original GBA, but it's pretty close and I love the form factor of the original 001 model.

I'm also curious. Looks like a decent alternative to finding a nodded GBA. I assume it uses an emulator and not reproduced hardware?

Jb

Don't you guys regret when you sell your old collection just so you can afford a new system?

I did this several times when I was a kid, but that would be the only way to afford new systems because my parents could not afford giving me new systems and games all the time.

Thankfully, I now make some money on my own and I am slowly rebuilding my retro collection.

Exact same thing happened to me :) Only game I didn't sell was OoT on N64.

I've been on the hunt for a while for a good legit copy of FF6 advance, and found an actual store - not some random dude on CL for once - that had one for an acceptable price.
This is the pictures they've got of the game:

Obviously the one way to be really sure it's not a fake would be to take a screwdriver and open up the cartridge, but from what we can see would you guys say it seems legit?

v1perz53

Ugh how unlucky, finally found a copy of Pokemon FireRed on eBay where the seller was willing to open the game and take a pic, and the price was incredibly reasonable, only for USPS to lose it in the mail. Well, I assume that's what happened since the tracking hasn't updated since the 17th and it was only like 2 states away then. Guess my complete collection of Pokemon games on the GB/GBC/GBA will remain one short for a little while longer.

Ugh how unlucky, finally found a copy of Pokemon FireRed on eBay where the seller was willing to open the game and take a pic, and the price was incredibly reasonable, only for USPS to lose it in the mail. Well, I assume that's what happened since the tracking hasn't updated since the 17th and it was only like 2 states away then. Guess my complete collection of Pokemon games on the GB/GBC/GBA will remain one short for a little while longer.

Give it some time. I just had something from usps not update for a few days past the expected delivery date to end up being fine and delivered as well. Like from the 19th to today, the 23rd when it had the 21st as the expected delivery day.

Mzo

With Vic's new game being Summon Night 5, I half expect the pricey Swordcraft Story GBA games to balloon up even more.

Even though most of the GameBoy-era Pokemon games received superior remakes, I'm kinda glad they never remade Yellow or Crystal. Makes going back to them all the sweeter. :)

On a playthrough of Crystal now. Started with Cyndaquil (Quality pokemon though I prefer Totodile, mainly in the remakes thanks to the physical/special split), so far have a team of;

Quilava (Mushu)
Quagsire (Quagmire)
Togetic (Crikee)
Elekid (Yao)
Sudowoodo (Ling)

I always play as the female trainer, Kris, since Crystal was the first mainline entry to introduce being able to use male or female characters instead of being restricted. I still use Ethan in the remakes though because nostalgia XO

v1perz53

Did people just really hate F-Zero GP Legend or something? Or did they print a million copies or something. Just got a factory sealed copy on eBay for $8 including shipping, thats lower than most cart only games cost.

Did people just really hate F-Zero GP Legend or something? Or did they print a million copies or something. Just got a factory sealed copy on eBay for $8 including shipping, thats lower than most cart only games cost.

Just guessing here because I have no idea of GP's rarity. Maybe there was a typo in the item title that caused only you to find the game? Maybe you got really lucky with timing where there weren't enough people looking for it in that specific time frame?

I've had times where I got complete in box sets of SFC and PS1 games on eBay that were highly sought after for really low where only I bid for them. Some of those times were because the titles were mistyped ("Final Ftnasy" or "Super Donkey 2" or something like that) and I found them by looking at their store page instead of searching. Sometimes they were Buy Now items where the seller didn't know the value and I just happened to find it close to when they put it up for sale. I once had a black labelled Mega Man Legends on my Watch List at a Buy Now price of $20 (no shipping cost) for almost a week before someone bought it even though the game ranges around $30-40.

Mawlok

X4XYYCv.jpg

Unfortunately this is all of my gameboy collection, I wish I didn't sell so many when I was a youngling. Sorry for shitty phone quality.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I've been on the hunt for a while for a good legit copy of FF6 advance, and found an actual store - not some random dude on CL for once - that had one for an acceptable price.

Obviously the one way to be really sure it's not a fake would be to take a screwdriver and open up the cartridge, but from what we can see would you guys say it seems legit?

That is legit.

Don't feel too bad about it. I ended up with a bunch of fake carts myself from my childhood. Took me many years before I realized. Can be a bit rough to replace them if you care about collecting legit carts depending on how much you're willing to pay for that.

On a side note, it's too bad the Mario cart is fake because that really should have been the cover art for SMB 3 GBA.

Yeah, it's a more interesting label.

Mawlok

Don't feel too bad about it. I ended up with a bunch of fake carts myself from my childhood. Took me many years before I realized. Can be a bit rough to replace them if you care about collecting legit carts depending on how much you're willing to pay for that.

I will probably replace them in the future, not too fussed right now.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Welp, I'm officially joining the backlit GBA owners club thanks to a fellow gaffer who put one up for sale at a pretty decent price (thanks Hero_of_the_Day!). I've been tempted for so long to get one! :D can't wait til it gets here!

Make sure you get the correct screen type for your motherboard. You need the white connector for a 32-pin motherboard or a brown connector for a 40-pin motherboard. If you get the combination wrong you'll likely end up with a crappy image.

Edit: Unless of course you're buying a completed item, which I didn't consider. Enjoy it!

dcx4610

What's the going rate on a Mother 3 English repro these days? Anyone happen to have one for sale at a decent price?

Edit: Grabbed one for $19. Don't think I'll beat that.

v1perz53

Whelp, that works I guess. The refund for the copy of FireRed I thought got lost in the mail processed yesterday and I got my money back. Then out of nowhere the tracking updated today showing it was delivered, I picked it up, and it turns out the game is fake. Really convincing fake too, front label is correct with stamp and everything, only issue is the pin holes are punched all over. I had asked the seller for a picture of the pins and the pic he sent was of a legit game, so I guess he bait and swapped me or sells multiple games?

Anyway, I got this on eBay, so I wonder what I should do in this situation. The refund was processed and I have my money back, should I leave it at that? Or could the seller check the tracking in the future and see that it was delivered and demand payment? Not sure if there is a way through eBay to go "oh wait I actually got this item but it is wrong, I want the same refund as before but for a different reason".

Man, I envy you, been hunting around for a copy of this for ages. The fact it's got the Club Nintendo card and the box seems to be fairly legitimately looking (Along the fold of the top flap has the wide perforations, most reproduction boxes I've seen are a solid line) are a good indication its likely real, and the cartridge doesn't throw up any warnings at first glance (As in, the label isn't completely wrong). The only way to know for near certain (beyond opening the cart up) would be to ask the seller to upload a shot of the cartridge board that's seen from the bottom to see if the Nintendo stamp is on it, but I've personally been willing to put £30-40 down on Ebay listings of similar quality. Still kicking myself that I missed out on one due to missing the ending soon reminder while at a meal.

I'm thinking of getting an ever drive gb. Is there any piece of hardware I can get that would allow me to rip the save files from some of my cartridges? I have a modded front lit gbc that I would love to just always have next to my bed with all my games available.

I'm also interested in LSDJ and other homebrew roms. Any good suggestions? Is the everdrive worth it?

I recently bought a modded original GBA with a backlit screen. But it feels ... off. The screen is not exactly lined up with the casing and even worse, there's ghosting/slight image retention. And it feels laggy, too. This might be because I have only tested it with a fake cart. I haven't had a chance to get some legit games in it yet....

Any thoughts on what's up with this?

I recently bought a modded original GBA with a backlit screen. But it feels ... off. The screen is not exactly lined up with the casing and even worse, there's ghosting/slight image retention. And it feels laggy, too. This might be because I have only tested it with a fake cart. I haven't had a chance to get some legit games in it yet....

Any thoughts on what's up with this?

The bit of ghosting is inherent with that screen. Can't speak to the lag you're referring to, though.

I'm thinking of getting an ever drive gb. Is there any piece of hardware I can get that would allow me to rip the save files from some of my cartridges? I have a modded front lit gbc that I would love to just always have next to my bed with all my games available.

I'm also interested in LSDJ and other homebrew roms. Any good suggestions? Is the everdrive worth it?

I did this for most of my battery backup games a while back.

You'll need the following:
-Mega Memory Card by InterAct
-Flash Cart (Dunno if Everdrive GB works here, I used an old GBUSB cart for this)

The memory card is a passthrough device that plugs in between your GB and the game cart. Just copy your save to the memory card. Turn off the system, replace the game with your flash cart, then copy the SRAM from the memory card on to the flash cart. Then, save the SRAM from the flash cart to your PC.

Repeat as needed for all your saves you wish to back up. When you're done, rename the files according to the game they correspond to or as necessary depending on your flash cart file system, then transfer all the saves to your flash cart. You should have access to all of them now, and it's nice to have back ups of the save files on your PC for emus and such.

thomasos

F-Zero GP Legend sold very poorly, so there's probably a lot of excess inventory floating around out there. The game flopped so hard, in fact, it's the primary culprit for Nintendo's reticence to revisit the series.

F-Zero GP Legend sold very poorly, so there's probably a lot of excess inventory floating around out there. The game flopped so hard, in fact, it's the primary culprit for Nintendo's reticence to revisit the series.

I feel like this isn't the first time Ninendo's overestimated demand for the series. There are so many sealed Player's Choice F-Zeros out there on SNES.

I did this for most of my battery backup games a while back.

You'll need the following:
-Mega Memory Card by InterAct
-Flash Cart (Dunno if Everdrive GB works here, I used an old GBUSB cart for this)

The memory card is a passthrough device that plugs in between your GB and the game cart. Just copy your save to the memory card. Turn off the system, replace the game with your flash cart, then copy the SRAM from the memory card on to the flash cart. Then, save the SRAM from the flash cart to your PC.

Repeat as needed for all your saves you wish to back up. When you're done, rename the files according to the game they correspond to or as necessary depending on your flash cart file system, then transfer all the saves to your flash cart. You should have access to all of them now, and it's nice to have back ups of the save files on your PC for emus and such.

Awesome, thanks a bunch! My Zelda saves shall live on.

dcx4610

Can anyone explain how reproduction carts work like the English translated Mother 3?

Are they using custom boards or somehow reflashing existing carts? Does saving still work?

Can anyone explain how reproduction carts work like the English translated Mother 3?

Are they using custom boards or somehow reflashing existing carts? Does saving still work?
Depends on the game, but I believe they typical use a donor cart of the same same structure and then reflash it.

Rich!

Either

The rom flashed onto an eeprom and then soldered onto a donor board from a crappy licenced game in place of the original ROM

Or

A custom board designed and made purely for a repro.

Saving will work unless its a total fuck up job.

Dishwalla

Banned
Any good resources on backlighting/frontlighting a Game Boy Advance? Picked up a white GBA in my running around today, and if it can be done easily I'm thinking about lighting that sucker up.

Just scored pretty big (at least for me). Got this at a consignment sale for $20

Pretty stoked. The mystery cart is unfortunately a Madden 06 bootleg, but everything else is legit. The GBA is a 001, and since I have a 101, I'll probably sell it on.

Top Bottom