• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

psylah

Can anyone list any strangely colored GB carts? Of course there's Pokemon, and I've seen more colorful Tamagotchi carts, anything else out of the ordinary?

Can anyone list any strangely colored GB carts? Of course there's Pokemon, and I've seen more colorful Tamagotchi carts, anything else out of the ordinary?

Kirby Tilt and Tumble is transparent pink and a weird shape.

Also I found it weird that some really early GameBoy Color enhanced games were gray instead of the usual black. My seemingly from GBC launch copy of Dragon Quest Monsters is one of these.

Gameboy415

I recall seeing some pink Tamagotchi carts (like the one in psylah's pics) when I lived in Japan but I never picked one up.

I have a Japanese copy of 'Rockman X: Cyber Mission' (AKA: Mega Man Xtreme) for GB/GBC that has a cool navy blue cart but I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg. :S

psylah

Kirby Tilt and Tumble is transparent pink and a weird shape.

Also I found it weird that some really early GameBoy Color enhanced games were gray instead of the usual black. My seemingly from GBC launch copy of Dragon Quest Monsters is one of these.

Oh cool, I thought stuff with motion / vibration built in would be a strange humpback shape like Pokemon Pinball, but that is cool. Gotta get one of those and a translucent pink GBA.

The Donkey Kong Land games are Yellow

Got a copy in a yellow GBC on my shelf!

psylah

I recall seeing some pink Tamagotchi carts (like the one in psylah's pics) when I lived in Japan but I never picked one up.

There is this weird blue cart that I wouldn't go near:

IMG_2730.jpg

But there's also a pure white Tamagotchi cart:

timthumb.php

That I would love to match with one of these EXTREMELY expensive DMGs:

$_1.JPG

Gameboy415

timthumb.php

$_1.JPG

Ah yeah, I recall seeing those at some point as well.
That reminds me - the rewritable Nintendo Power 'Memory Cassette' cartridges for Game Boy (and Super Famicom) were white as well:

SF_Memory_Cassette_and_GB_Memory_Cartridge.jpg

Teknoman

timthumb.php

$_1.JPG

Ah yeah, I recall seeing those at some point as well.
That reminds me - the rewritable Nintendo Power 'Memory Cassette' cartridges for Game Boy (and Super Famicom) were white as well:

SF_Memory_Cassette_and_GB_Memory_Cartridge.jpg

Need some details on this stuff o_o

LSworks

Neo Member
I have a near mint, CIB Gameboy Micro Mother 3 Edition, and I was thinking of selling it. How much would it be worth now? I see on ebay loose consoles or incomplete sets going for 400+ bucks!

Gameboy415

Need some details on this stuff o_o

The Nintendo Power carts were rewritable cartridges that you could load games onto via special kiosks at stores in Japan:

Some games took up an entire cart but, depending on the size of the data, you could load up to 7 titles on one cartridge! (one slot was reserved for the menu system)

A lot of the games were simply budget re-releases of older games (for example, I have a SF cart with Pocky & Rocky on it and a GB cart with Link's Awakening) but there were several games that debuted via the Nintendo Power system.
A few of the games, such as Sutte Hakkun and Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 for Super Famicom, eventually got full retail releases but there was an entire series of Picross games for Super Famicom (the NP: Picross series) that was not released anywhere else (some of the puzzles from the series were released as DLC for Picross DS but the full games remain exclusive to NP carts).

I sadly never encountered one of the NP kiosks during my time in Japan (2005-2010 - I think they were discontinued in ~2003) but I picked up a few carts. :)

Great I wanted to buy FF4-6 complete at a local hobby store but this puts the kibosh on that.

Anyway how did the GBA ports fare to the SNES anyway?

I believe at least 6 has some soundtrack differences (perhaps bugs?) and that lighter pallet some GBA games had.

Generally they sound much worse. Look on YouTube for soundtrack comparisons.

Translations are supposed to be improved over the old 90s Woosley version.

There is a sound restoration patch and a color pallets restoration patch if you're savvy enough through homebrew, but IIRC they require the European release, and, while the game sounds better, due to space restrictions, the restored soundtrack is monaural only.

Amalthea

Banned
That came with a special pink GB Pocket.

Seriously I was so pissed back in the day bc. a local retailer had just photoshopped the packaging of that special edition onto a western GB box. So I thought the cart would be pink but then it was just a standart grey gamepak.

jonno394

Attempted to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red; I don't think these type of games are for me.

Loving Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Charming little game, is this supposed to be the best title in the series?

Fireblend

Banned
Attempted to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red; I don't think these type of games are for me.

Loving Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Charming little game, is this supposed to be the best title in the series?

Bowser's Inside Story is pretty much recognized as its equal, if not better. The others weren't as well received, but I liked them. Shame Dream Team is like 10 hours longer than it should be, otherwise it would have been up there IMO. And yeah, Superstar Saga is brilliant.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Great I wanted to buy FF4-6 complete at a local hobby store but this puts the kibosh on that.

Anyway how did the GBA ports fare to the SNES anyway?

They're great ports as far as gameplay/gfx go and script is much better than the original translations but unfortunately the music's crap. In fact it's so bad that the community did a restoration project with SNES-music hacks which you can play via an EZ-IV flashcart and the likes, they've also fixed the color palette (and fps drops for V). It doubles the size of the games, and while unfortunately the audio becomes mono (GBA's original is stereo) it still is VASTLY superior.

Generally they sound much worse. Look on YouTube for soundtrack comparisons.

Translations are supposed to be improved over the old 90s Woosley version.

There is a sound restoration patch and a color pallets restoration patch if you're savvy enough through homebrew, but IIRC they require the European release, and, while the game sounds better, due to space restrictions, the restored soundtrack is monaural only.

Patching the game's rom takes literally 5 seconds (there's a little program which does it automatically) and they don't require the EU version anymore, EU/NA/AUS are fine.

prateeko

How can this be done? And is something like that available for ALttP to remove the annoying noises Link now makes wing every slash? I used Rudolph's tool to back up all my carts and then reapplied my old save files from ~11 years ago so it's basically my whole collection on one cart but if I could improve the colors for games like FF and Mario that'd be amazing

Teknoman

The Nintendo Power carts were rewritable cartridges that you could load games onto via special kiosks at stores in Japan:

Some games took up an entire cart but, depending on the size of the data, you could load up to 7 titles on one cartridge! (one slot was reserved for the menu system)

A lot of the games were simply budget re-releases of older games (for example, I have a SF cart with Pocky & Rocky on it and a GB cart with Link's Awakening) but there were several games that debuted via the Nintendo Power system.
A few of the games, such as Sutte Hakkun and Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 for Super Famicom, eventually got full retail releases but there was an entire series of Picross games for Super Famicom (the NP: Picross series) that was not released anywhere else (some of the puzzles from the series were released as DLC for Picross DS but the full games remain exclusive to NP carts).

I sadly never encountered one of the NP kiosks during my time in Japan (2005-2010 - I think they were discontinued in ~2003) but I picked up a few carts. :)

Wow...I think I remember reading about this in an old EGM or Tips and Tricks...

Craft

How are all you guys storing your loose GBA and Gameboy carts?
I've got about 100 of each loose which I've got stored stacked up in a couple of boxes, so it's a bit of a bugger if I want to find a certain game quickly.

Hopefully I still have the boxes for each game mostly. For those without any box, I have no solution. I thought about a ring binder with transparents sheets (those for playing card for exemple), but the thing would be too thick really quick.
If anyone as another solution, color me interested.

Yeah, I still have most of the plastic cases for the Gameboy games so I suppose I could print the names on the cases and then stick them on a shelf, but the GBA games are all loose, so I've stacked them with layers of bubble wrap to protect them.

Putosaure

I've got about 100 of each loose which I've got stored stacked up in a couple of boxes, so it's a bit of a bugger if I want to find a certain game quickly.

Hopefully I still have the boxes for each game mostly. For those without any box, I have no solution. I thought about a ring binder with transparents sheets (those for playing card for exemple), but the thing would be too thick really quick.
If anyone as another solution, color me interested.

I only have 30 or so but I keep the ones I want to play stacked by series. So I have a stack for Dragon Warrior, one Pokemon, one for Zelda, one for misc. Everything else is just stacked in the back.

Games that have cardboard boxes still are kept out of the boxes and the boxes themselves are either displayed nearby or stored, since opening the boxes causes them to get ruined. I have half a mind to just get rid of my boxes, maybe sell them, since they're so useless.

All my carts are loose also. I have a couple of carry cases that came free with Nintendo Officia Magazine here in the UK a good few years back. Some others I'm storing in a GBA SP carry case, a PSP UMD carry case and some are loose. Really could do with a good carry-all solution.

Mzo

The only reason all my GBA games are CIB is that, in a time of my life where I did not keep boxes of any kind, I couldn't find a satisfactory way to store GBA games at all. I put them all back in the boxes and kept them there, which I'm pretty thankful for these days.

dcx4610

A little late too the party but finally picked up a Mother 3 English reproduction cart. I have to say, I'm pretty blown away by the quality. The cart is in perfect condition and the sticker is indistinguishable from a real cartridge. I took it apart to see what board was used and it appears to be Pokemon Emerald. Nice stuff.

il_570xN.759793009_mjma.jpg

A little late too the party but finally picked up a Mother 3 English reproduction cart. I have to say, I'm pretty blown away by the quality. The cart is in perfect condition and the sticker is indistinguishable from a real cartridge. I took it apart to see what board was used and it appears to be Pokemon Emerald. Nice stuff.

il_570xN.759793009_mjma.jpg
Where did you buy it from? Any chance of a link to the seller?

I've had quite a few loose carts in my collection for ages now but recently I've found myself really drawn to collecting CIBs. I've picked up a few choice boxes over the past month or so, but I was particularly happy with this one.

zG1s8ECl.jpg

Damn that looks nice. Great pick up.

Thanks! GB collecting has a really cool vibe -- a lot of waiting around for cheap auctions/BINs to show up. There are a lot of listings for games that I'm really interested in up at any given time, but I'm definitely not willing to pay some of those crazy asking prices.

Thanks! GB collecting has a really cool vibe -- a lot of waiting around for cheap auctions/BINs to show up. There are a lot of listings for games that I'm really interested in up at any given time, but I'm definitely not willing to pay some of those crazy asking prices.

I still haven't decided how I want to focus my GB collection. I might start picking up some more japanese games CIB since it's pretty cheap and then just get the cartridges for NA releases. Have like 5 CIB NA games at the moment so i dunno.

Teknoman

When you get around to it, will you do a LTTP thread for Revelations?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I just found a $20 copy of Castlevania Double Pack on classified ads, which is pretty great as I never played these games. Anything to know about it? Any downside compared to the original releases?

Also, any way to know if it's a fake from this picture...?

$_27.JPG

TheMoon

I just found a $20 copy of Castlevania Double Pack on classified ads, which is pretty great as I never played these games. Anything to know about it? Any downside compared to the original releases?

$_27.JPG

It's literally just two games slapped on the same cart with a boot menu where you choose between them.

The only downside to the double pack is that the bonus ring from Dawn of Sorrow on DS won't unlock. It specifically needs the standalone release of Aria of Sorrow in the GBA port of a DS or DSLite to unlock.

In other words, don't sweat it.

Anyone here ever tried Dokapon for GBA? I heard it was pretty sucky, but I still kind of want to pick it up. Mostly just for collection purposes, since it's kind of a Pokemon clone, but it would be nice if it was semi-playable as well.

dcx4610

$_27.JPG

Looks legit based upon on the pic. The only sure fire way to know is crack it open. The benefit of the double pack is it's not super rare yet and it uses flash memory for saves rather than a battery which seem to be starting to fail on a lot of GBA carts.

$20-30 is about average currently.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Looks legit based upon on the pic. The only sure fire way to know is crack it open. The benefit of the double pack is it's not super rare yet and it uses flash memory for saves rather than a battery which seem to be starting to fail on a lot of GBA carts.

Nice!

Thanks for the info everybody. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Mzo

Quickest way of telling is by comparing the curve above where Game Boy Advance is etched. If the curve is as wide as the sticker, like in the 2nd pic, well, you're not out of the woods but it's a good sign. If the curve is shorter than the sticker it's almost definitely a fake.

Outside of looking at the pins, that'd be even quicker. All we got is that pic, though.

Top Bottom