• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

v1perz53

Just finished mario and luigi superstar saga. A charming game that belongs in every gba collection. So glad I bought this :)

I need to re-buy this game at some point. It is the only game of the Mario RPGs that I ever played, and I thought I wouldn't care for it but I ended up having a blast. Still have the box and manual but no idea where the game is. Man, every time I think I am done with my GBA collection I remember another game I loved as a kid that I want to grab again.

daydream

Banned
Recently noticed that I was missing Game & Watch Gallery Advance (aka 4) so I acquired a copy to round out the quartet. What a fantastic series that is.

Mzo

Recently noticed that I was missing Game & Watch Gallery Advance (aka 4) so I acquired a copy to round out the quartet. What a fantastic series that is.

It's so hard to get 5 stars in some of those games, though. I can't fucking handle manhole for some reason. It feels like I'm missing something really important.

Interestingly, the Mother 3 reproduction I have has the exact same shell and PCB as the Castlevania Double Pack fake. AGB-E05-01. I guess these are the main boards used on fakes and repros. I'd be curious to know where they come from as well as the cases.

I'm pretty blown away by the sheer number of fakes in the GBA lineup. From the games, accessories, straight down to the GBA shells. It might be the most pirated system out there.

Well they're both China-made bootlegs, so it makes sense.

D.Lo

I'm pretty blown away by the sheer number of fakes in the GBA lineup. From the games, accessories, straight down to the GBA shells. It might be the most pirated system out there.
I'm guessing you've never heard of the Nintendo Family Computer? ;)

Impotaku

Decided to finally get my printer paper out of storage, i'm armed with a bazillion duracells for the printer so i decided to have a pocket camera marathon.

Will be interesting to see if sealed packs of printer paper go off.
pokeprin.jpg

Impotaku

So far it seems the blue roll i opened is still perfect, well as perfect as it's going to be as the print quiality was pretty crap even back in the day. But nice and dark when printed, never thought of finding thermal paper elsewhere, that will be very handy once all supples of original paper run out. Yeah sadly can't be used as stickers but it's better than nothing at all.

putermcgee

I found a cheap Japanese Toys R Us midnight blue GBA at Book-Off today, and had to pick it up / rescue it. I already have one in the same color, and it was, for a long time, my holy grail of GBAs.

So now I have two, and this second one only needs a new screen cover. Would anyone here be interested in it? I'd like to think someone else is really into such a killer limited edition model, but could never find one in good shape (with the battery cover).

Below is the color I'm talking about, but it wouldn't have the backlit screen.

prateeko

Kinda hard to tell with the lighting of that photo, but from what I can tell if those are fakes, they are very real looking fakes.

I agree. They look like they actually have foil covers, but I'm not familiar with PAL games and I suppose the counterfeiters could have stepped up their game since I last was buying GBA games online.

I found a cheap Japanese Toys R Us midnight blue GBA at Book-Off today, and had to pick it up / rescue it. I already have one in the same color, and it was, for a long time, my holy grail of GBAs.

So now I have two, and this second one only needs a new screen cover. Would anyone here be interested in it? I'd like to think someone else is really into such a killer limited edition model, but could never find one in good shape (with the battery cover).

Below is the color I'm talking about, but it wouldn't have the backlit screen.

Where are you located and what's the condition. I have one I was going to try and dremel out for a backlit screen but the overall body is in a little rough shape...

hey, guys. Not sure how you feel about this but thought I'd throw it out here if anyone is interested. I have a red gba with the backlit screen from the ags 101 that I'm not spending any time with. Any one here looking for a system? I have a glass replacement lens for it as well if you're interested.

v1perz53

Bought a set of cases from CustomGameCases a long while ago and have been meaning to print out labels for them for some time but haven't gotten around to it. Had some extra time today finally so I decided to make labels for my Pokemon main series collection and I am really happy with how they came out. Here are some pictures of the finished product, I especially like how they look with the spines lined up. I got the label images from thecoverproject.net, wanted to keep it all retail images but had to use custom for some of them because there was no retail image (for gold) or the retail image was bad quality (for yellow).

Every game is complete with manual (and the original box is stored at my parent's house), and every game is the same cartridge I or my brother owned as a kid (except for FireRed, couldn't find that one), so this collection means a lot to me. I should probably get a copy of Emerald at some point to complete the set, but I took a break from Pokemon right before it came out so it doesn't have the same sense of nostalgia as these do.

E: Yeesh those are huge and ugly at full size, gonna go try to re size those now.

Mzo

For Pokemon I just buy one of each type, ignore the slightly improved third version, and buy the opposite version when they're remade. I'm not a big fan of redundancies without good reason.

As an example I own Pokemon Red, ignored Yellow, and then bought LeafGreen.

v1perz53

For Pokemon I just buy one of each type, ignore the slightly improved third version, and buy the opposite version when they're remade. I'm not a big fan of redundancies without good reason.

As an example I own Pokemon Red, ignored Yellow, and then bought LeafGreen.

Yea, I definitely don't buy multiple versions of Pokemon games, all the ones I have are my brother's copy from when we were kids, since he always bought the other version. Anything past GBA my Pokemon collection is much less complete since my brother stopped playing them, so I only have one version for each generation.

I was super into Pokemon as a kid though, so I bought Yellow instantly because of Pikachu hype (and promptly learned I hate Pikachu and not evolving my pokemon), and got Crystal as a present because my family had no idea what was the same game and what was new. Emerald would just complete the set.

Though after checking on eBay a little while ago, I think there are actually more fake Emerald carts out there than real ones... For every one real cart there are 2-3 with the fake skinny E ESRB logo (but otherwise a flawless copy of a real Emerald cart).

Bought a set of cases from CustomGameCases a long while ago and have been meaning to print out labels for them for some time but haven't gotten around to it. Had some extra time today finally so I decided to make labels for my Pokemon main series collection and I am really happy with how they came out. Here are some pictures of the finished product, I especially like how they look with the spines lined up. I got the label images from thecoverproject.net, wanted to keep it all retail images but had to use custom for some of them because there was no retail image (for gold) or the retail image was bad quality (for yellow).

Every game is complete with manual (and the original box is stored at my parent's house), and every game is the same cartridge I or my brother owned as a kid (except for FireRed, couldn't find that one), so this collection means a lot to me. I should probably get a copy of Emerald at some point to complete the set, but I took a break from Pokemon right before it came out so it doesn't have the same sense of nostalgia as these do.

E: Yeesh those are huge and ugly at full size, gonna go try to re size those now.

That looks really nice. Like the perfect case option for GB games.

Wow, great job.

Looks awesome! I did up some cassette cases a while back (posted in this thread, somewhere) but your ones look much nicer.

Really stoked to finally have all of these. Green was the first Japanese game I bought and it was the only one I intended to buy. After seeing how cool Japanese GB boxes were, I went ahead and bought the rest of the core GB/GBC games. I might as well go for the GBA games next! :)

Tiv619ll.jpg

Really stoked to finally have all of these. Green was the first Japanese game I bought and it was the only one I intended to buy. After seeing how cool Japanese GB boxes were, I went ahead and bought the rest of the core GB/GBC games. I might as well go for the GBA games next! :)
The GB/C JP boxes are really nice. Been debating liquidating my NTSCU gameboy games and going NTSCJ CIB.

lupinko

I have Dawn on DS, always wanted to play Aria, does Aria use flash memory or a battery to save? If it's the latter then I'll pass.

The GB/C JP boxes are really nice. Been debating liquidating my NTSCU gameboy games and going NTSCJ CIB.

I've been tempted to do the same thing. The last few GB games that I want or don't already have CIB are really expensive, so I figured it might be better to get 10-20 import games instead of the one or two I want haha.

I've been tempted to do the same thing. The last few GB games that I want or don't already have CIB are really expensive, so I figured it might be better to get 10-20 import games instead of the one or two I want haha.

Yeah, pretty much. similar to the SNES/SFC, japanese CIB collecting is just simply way cheaper, even if some games are a lot harder to find.

**Just put in an order for a modded GBC. been in the market for a nice one of these since giving up on doing all the mods myself. Got a price better than I expected, too

Peltz

Since when is this thread in the "Community" section?

The rest of Retro-GAF is still in "Gaming".

Edit: Nintendo DS appreciation thread also got moved.

Yeah, pretty much. similar to the SNES/SFC, japanese CIB collecting is just simply way cheaper, even if some games are a lot harder to find.

**Just put in an order for a modded GBC. been in the market for a nice one of these since giving up on doing all the mods myself. Got a price better than I expected, too

I've been curious about the GBCs myself. I've wanted to try out a backlit GBA for ages, but I rarely play my 101 SP as it is -- I just can't convince myself to spend the cash. I'm in the same boat with the GBCs, so I'm interested in seeing how you like it. Seems like a cool little novelty.

Modded with a frontlight? I have one of those, transparent one. Really neat.

It's weird, only about half of the retro threads have been moved over to the community ghetto.
Don't worry, we'll make that ghetto cool again.

I've been curious about the GBCs myself. I've wanted to try out a backlit GBA for ages, but I rarely play my 101 SP as it is -- I just can't convince myself to spend the cash. I'm in the same boat with the GBCs, so I'm interested in seeing how you like it. Seems like a cool little novelty.

Modded with a frontlight? I have one of those, transparent one. Really neat.

Fronlight, internal prosound, all the little QOL improvements you can give one. I hate seeing my GBC games sticking up out of the console on my SP/GBA (as minute as that may sound) so OG hardware is the way to go. I would like to get something that can stream these games, though, so a back/front lit GBA with video out may be in my future.

A wideboy for my N64 would be even better, but those are impossible to find. Real shame that the GBP is the only thing that plays GBC games with easy video out.

Fronlight, internal prosound, all the little QOL improvements you can give one. I hate seeing my GBC games sticking up out of the console on my SP/GBA (as minute as that may sound) so OG hardware is the way to go. I would like to get something that can stream these games, though, so a back/front lit GBA with video out may be in my future.

A wideboy for my N64 would be even better, but those are impossible to find. Real shame that the GBP is the only thing that plays GBC games with easy video out.
Wow, that sounds neat. I'm the same, can't stand GB/C games sticking out of the SP. OG hardware all the way.

I'm not that keen playing via the 3DS VC because I don't think the button layout lends well to GB games.

Top Bottom