• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Xhorder

I got a second Metroid: Zero Mission in the mail this week. This time it looks like its the real deal. To be 100% sure I need to open up the cart, but I don't have the proper screwdriver, so I'll get one of those soon. I got a refund for the fake cart, the seller handled it like a pro, so who knows... maybe he was telling the truth about his friend selling him the fake cart....

Two other games I received are Yggdra Union and Super Robot Taisen Original Generation. An Italian guy is selling these sealed and boxed on Ebay for not a lot of money. I guess this is old stock from the Italian publisher 505 Games, since he has a lot of 'em.

v1perz53

I got a second Metroid: Zero Mission in the mail this week. This time it looks like its the real deal. To be 100% sure I need to open up the cart, but I don't have the proper screwdriver, so I'll get one of those soon. I got a refund for the fake cart, the seller handled it like a pro, so who knows... maybe he was telling the truth about his friend selling him the fake cart....

Two other games I received are Yggdra Union and Super Robot Taisen Original Generation. An Italian guy is selling these sealed and boxed on Ebay for not a lot of money. I guess this is old stock from the Italian publisher 505 Games, since he has a lot of 'em.

I've never owned a tri-wing screwdriver and I've opened all GBA games I buy pretty easily. At the right angle pretty much any flathead that can fit in will do the job. The gamebit screws from the GB/GBC games on the other hand... not as easy to get open! My second copy of FireRed should be here tomorrow, hopefully this one isn't a fake.

Rich!

I've never owned a tri-wing screwdriver and I've opened all GBA games I buy pretty easily. At the right angle pretty much any flathead that can fit in will do the job. The gamebit screws from the GB/GBC games on the other hand... not as easy to get open! My second copy of FireRed should be here tomorrow, hopefully this one isn't a fake.

Gamebit and triwing screwdrivers are only 99p each on ebay, no excuse not to have some really

Gamebit and triwing screwdrivers are only 99p each on ebay, no excuse not to have some really
I got a eyeglass repair screwdriver kit that game with both a triwing and an appropriately sized security bit. Can't imagine they're all that hard to find without getting a cheapo ebay one.

v1perz53

Sure, but when it comes to checking whether or not a GBA game you just got is a fake or real, no reason to wait a week for a triwing screwdriver to come from eBay when a flathead works fine. Certainly nice to have a gamebit tho as I mentioned before, and lots of them come in sets with triwing anyway.

Teknoman

You dont need a screwdriver. If it looks real but you still have doubts, just look at the cartridge pins under a lamp. If you only see the circle indents on the connections across the top = real. If they are scattered randomly across the connections = fake.

v1perz53

There is no fake game that has the holes in the pins aligned at the top? I know that having randomly placed pin holes is a tell that the game is fake, but I didn't know that every fake has this feature.

Xhorder

You dont need a screwdriver. If it looks real but you still have doubts, just look at the cartridge pins under a lamp. If you only see the circle indents on the connections across the top = real. If they are scattered randomly across the connections = fake.

Yeah I know I checked and they're across the top. But I'm not sure if all fake games can be recognised like this.
What I didn't tell is that the saves were gone one moment and when I rebooted they were there again. Now I checked online and it seems Zero Mission has a battery, unlike most other GBA games... so it could be my battery is done or something else is going on.

Mzo

A few GBA games have batteries, but I think they're usually for in-game clocks, date and time and whatnot. Not too sure if GBA games save based on a battery anymore.

A few GBA games have batteries, but I think they're usually for in-game clocks, date and time and whatnot. Not too sure if GBA games save based on a battery anymore.

There are some GBA games that do have batteries-based save. My JP Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland has a save battery, and I've heard of other games that do as well.

I'm not sure why, it probably wasn't a cost thing but maybe supply constraint issues when trying to print as many GBA games as they needed.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Never ever seen a fake gba cart with the pins correctly aligned at the top. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I'm not aware of them and never seen one live myself or had a friend with one.

fester

Banned
After a failed attempt to repair my old one, I'm in the market for a new GBA SP. Being impatient and also picky about the condition of the unit, I'm looking at several options on ebay. Has anyone had experience with the people selling refurbished AGS-101 model SPs? For example, this guy puts them in new cases and adds a mark up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed15ffeb4

At this point I'm more concerned about over all condition/screen scratches than price.

v1perz53

After a failed attempt to repair my old one, I'm in the market for a new GBA SP. Being impatient and also picky about the condition of the unit, I'm looking at several options on ebay. Has anyone had experience with the people selling refurbished AGS-101 model SPs? For example, this guy puts them in new cases and adds a mark up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed15ffeb4

At this point I'm more concerned about over all condition/screen scratches than price.

Thats actually the exact guy I bought an AGS-101 with new case from. I couldn't be happier with mine personally. The buttons are very slightly different feeling than my AGS-001, but I can't tell if that is just natural variation, 001 vs 101 differences or what. I don't have any issues at all with the way the buttons feel though, not worse just different, but extremely slightly so. The only issue I had with mine is the screw for the battery cover jutted out a bit so that the system wouldn't sit level on a table, but I just replaced it with the screw from my 001. Screen on mine looks great, totally flawless and the new case looks and feels great as well.

Anyway, you do have your old SP, so even if you didn't like the buttons on the new one you could swap the buttons between the two. But I was personally quite happy with the SP I got from this seller.

dcx4610

I have the exact same shell. They are really, really close to the real thing. The plastic is very slightly thinner on the bottom and the texture is a bit more matte. At this point, it's pretty tough finding an original 101 in good condition so I'm fine with the replacement shells. It makes it look like a new system.

Another option is to buy a beat up 101 for cheap and just replace the shell yourself. This is what all of the refurbished sellers are using. It should give you an idea of what they are doing. Again, it's really close to the real thing and if someone didn't know any better, it looks like official OEM parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Nintendo-Advance-included-Game-Boy/dp/B00B5QP54E/

Xhorder

I'm tempted to get one of the above 101 systems. Right now I really like my Micro, but a bigger screen would be really nice. Still, that's a lot of money and shipping is just absurdly high to my country.

I got two GBA games in the mail today, both in box. Steel Empire and Gradius Advance. I also got me two games for my Neogeo Pocket (Which I already own for more than ten years, but somehow never bought a game for).

2gmVjVe.jpg

Xhorder

Gradius Advance is great, my third best Gradius overall and best handheld Gradius.

Yeah I played a bit of it and it's quite good. Also pretty easy up till the point where I continuously got stuck under these glass plates that were falling down. :) Gradius V is the only other one I still own and that's the best one, but Gradius Advance comes pretty close.

Steel Empire isn't bad either. It has been a long time since I played the Mega Drive version, but I guess this one is kind of similar: an old school Steampunk shmup.

fester

Banned
Another option is to buy a beat up 101 for cheap and just replace the shell yourself. This is what all of the refurbished sellers are using. It should give you an idea of what they are doing. Again, it's really close to the real thing and if someone didn't know any better, it looks like official OEM parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Nintendo-Advance-included-Game-Boy/dp/B00B5QP54E/

I bought that exact kit but it didn't include the speaker like the picture and description says it does. (Which is one of the problems I'm having with my old SP right now.) Sending it back to Amazon as we speak. :(

Fireblend

Banned
My backlit-modded GBA should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

My body shivers with anticipation. As soon as I'm done with Xenoblade 3D I might replay Mother 3 on it as celebration, or even continue my Golden Sun playthrough...

Mzo

If anyone has 100% bestiary in Stafy 2, I need help finding ONE enemy that has eluded me for years.

I wonder if someone's put up a FAQ by now.

Gameboy415

I had an amazing find at Goodwill today:

om8AbOP.jpg

I was in Japan when the GB Micro launched and, while I got a few cool JP-exclusive versions, I always wanted a boxed US version for my collection.
I was thrilled to see it in the display case at my local store today and immediately had it put on hold for me while I checked out the other new stuff.
The best part? It's BRAND NEW! :D

I also nabbed Quarth for Game Boy and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 for GBA today. :)

If anyone has 100% bestiary in Stafy 2, I need help finding ONE enemy that has eluded me for years.

I wonder if someone's put up a FAQ by now.

I'm pretty sure I 100%'d all of the Starfy games but even if I didn't, I have all 5 games' Official Nintendo Guides (JP-versions, of course).
Let me know which enemy you're missing and I'll look it up for ya. :)

om8AbOP.jpg

I was in Japan when the GB Micro launched and, while I got a few cool JP-exclusive versions, I always wanted a boxed US version for my collection.
I was thrilled to see it in the display case at my local store today and immediately had it put on hold for me while I checked out the other new stuff.

I also nabbed Quarth for Game Boy and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 for GBA today. :)

I'm pretty sure I 100%'d all of the Starfy games but even if I didn't, I have all 5 games' Official Nintendo Guides (JP-versions, of course).
$20 new? DAMN. What a deal.

redhairedking

Does anyone know if Painter Momopi for the GB was rare? I just discovered the game today and can't seem to find a cartridge anywhere online.

Fireblend

Banned

om8AbOP.jpg

Madness. I'd consider paying $20 for a brand new faceplate alone :lol

Bakkus

Which of Super GB and GB Player is the best for playing GB and GBC games? I get the impression GB games is for the most part best for Super GB, while the GBC games that are compatible with Super GB is for the most part best with GB player. Are there exceptions to this? Am I completely wrong? Anyone with more experience help, please.

Which of Super GB and GB Player is the best for playing GB and GBC games? I get the impression GB games is for the most part best for Super GB, while the GBC games that are compatible with Super GB is for the most part best with GB player. Are there exceptions to this? Am I completely wrong? Anyone with more experience help, please.
GBC is better via gameboy player due to the fact that GBC exclusive games won't run on the SGB. Additionally, gameboy player will do gba games which is nice.

Only real downsides of the GBPlayer are cost (the disk goes for ~40$) and the fact that getting a nice picture via component or RGB requires a very expensive component cable (goes for ~200 USD) or a PAL cube.

Bakkus

GBC is better via gameboy player due to the fact that GBC exclusive games won't run on the SGB. Additionally, gameboy player will do gba games which is nice.

Only real downsides of the GBPlayer are cost (the disk goes for ~40$) and the fact that getting a nice picture via component or RGB requires a very expensive component cable (goes for ~200 USD) or a PAL cube.

Ah but I was thinking more specifically in regards to the black cartridged GBC games that work on SGB (Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX Pokemon Gold/Silver, Survival Kids plus more) if they were better on which one. By the way I do have them both, I use them both on my Sony Trinitron CRT with RGB scart cables. I'm also from PAL territory.

Ah but I was thinking more specifically in regards to the black cartridged GBC games that work on SGB (Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX Pokemon Gold/Silver, Survival Kids plus more) if they were better on which one. By the way I do have them both, I use them both on my Sony Trinitron CRT with RGB scart cables. I'm also from PAL territory.

Also the Super Game Boy runs a little fast but the Japan-only Super Game Boy 2 fixes that issue.
In that case the super GB 2 would be the best option I believe. the GBPlayer is probably better than the original super GB though

Check this out: http://retrorgb.com/supergameboy.html

The GBA page will also be helpful.

Mzo

Oh shit, how did I miss this?

Let me boot up my cart! I'll PM you =D

Can we compile a list of battery gba games? I'm worried about my gba library!

Top Bottom