• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wow, that sounds neat. I'm the same, can't stand GB/C games sticking out of the SP. OG hardware all the way.

I'm not that keen playing via the 3DS VC because I don't think the button layout lends well to GB games.

Yeah, I actually love the resistance of the buttons and dpad on the GBC, too. feels really solid and I never mess up inputs. Doesn't honestly matter much when I'm playing pokemon but still lol.

Double post for bragging exciting news:

miEp1e4.png

Unfortunately doesn't photograph well. The glare is way less of an issue in person.

Also plugged it in to my headset and the noise is noticeable reduced thanks to the internal prosound mod. Not noiseless, but it certainly won't give me a headache any more. Super impressed.

Feel I should give the modder a shoutout since AFAIK he's the only person who offers this particular screen mod: http://www.reddit.com/user/the_8bit_kingdom

And info on the mod: http://www.mylkstuff.com/page87.htm#.VWyr089VhBd

And comparison: http://imgur.com/a/6avVz#0

dcx4610

No idea how it happened but my GBA 101 all of the sudden has a cool of light but annoying scratches on its screen. The only thing I can think of is somehow the buttons hit the screen when it was closed.

Are there any replacement screens available like scratch resistant glass or something similar?

dcx4610

Anyone have any recommendations on sites other than eBay to buy GB and GBA games? I have such a big list of stuff to get still and buying each one individually will take ages.

What really hurts is gamestop.com has a lot of games and at good prices but none available online.

Anyone have any recommendations on sites other than eBay to buy GB and GBA games? I have such a big list of stuff to get still and buying each one individually will take ages.

What really hurts is gamestop.com has a lot of games and at good prices but none available online.
I've only ever really used eBay or gone to local shops. Gamestop might start getting GB games online soon, but I dunno. I'm not really sure what the status of their retro games business endeavor is.

lupinko

Oh right like eBay or Craigslist be wary of GameStop, I once bought a bootleg used Pokemon Pearl cart from them, thankfully they exchanged it.

And knowing how rampant GBA piracy is along with DS', so yeah watch out.

Teknoman

I've only ever really used eBay or gone to local shops. Gamestop might start getting GB games online soon, but I dunno. I'm not really sure what the status of their retro games business endeavor is.

I think all those prices are left over from when they still had GBA games? Same with the PS2 prices.

I didn't think they were taking in trade-ins for GBA; just NES, GEN, SNES, N64 according to the leaked trade-in value list.
Really? How odd. I just assumed that list only included those consoles and was a part of a greater set of lists. Idk.

In other news I ordered a CIB copy of Survival Kids 2. Looking forward to starving.

daydream

Banned
Would you guys be up for something like a book club for Gameboy games? Basiclly we'd all play a game for one or two weeks and talk about it, then the next person would suggest one, and so on. I feel like there's a lot of undiscovered gems on the system and it'd just be a fun thing to do. Playing an original copy would be recommended, of course, but not imperative.

Would you guys be up for something like a book club for Gameboy games? Basiclly we'd all play a game for one or two weeks and talk about it, then the next person would suggest one, and so on. I feel like there's a lot of undiscovered gems on the system and it'd just be a fun thing to do. Playing an original copy would be recommended, of course, but not imperative.

Alrighty talked to daydream, but I'm in for this. Think it would be cool to investigate the library. Lots of games on the system that are surprisingly creative from a design or technical perspective, but it's somewhat difficult to sort through it all. This would be one means of which to actually discover such games (and introduce people to your own favourites).

If the games are easy enough to obtain, I'm all for this. Always up for learning about really old games I missed.

I've thought about this idea before, just not specifically for GB games.

The biggest problems with this would probably be around game choice. It would be hard to choose a game that isn't very common already, since buying new old games often necessitates ebay and that can take a while to reach you. Forcing it to be a game that can bought on eshop would mean kinda slim pickings for GB games.

Also there's the question of who ultimately chooses the next game? If its a vote again it would pretty quickly devolve into already well travelled game terriroty. I thought about this for old games in general a few months back and I assumed that no matter what the first choice of game was, if there's a vote the next one is probably just going to end up being Super Metroid somehow, or Chrono Trigger, or Symphony of the Night, or other games that everyone has played a dozen times.

Still it'd be nice to talk about shared recent game experiences without having to keep up with the latest AAA hogwash.

Edit: I actually had a whole topic written up for the same idea a few months ago mostly focused on gen 6 games and back with a suggestion of a first game, open to another idea to get started but got really depressed about the idea of people morphing that into being "let's all play Super Metroid instead." Like that's a great game and all but... something everyone hasn't already played a million times would be better.

The biggest problems with this would probably be around game choice. It would be hard to choose a game that isn't very common already, since buying new old games often necessitates ebay and that can take a while to reach you. Forcing it to be a game that can bought on eshop would mean kinda slim pickings for GB games.
I think emulation would be a factor here. For example, it'd be awesome to play Magical Chase or Trip World, but obviously we can't expect people to buy a cart.
Also there's the question of who ultimately chooses the next game? If its a vote again it would pretty quickly devolve into already well travelled game terriroty. I thought about this for old games in general a few months back and I assumed that no matter what the first choice of game was, if there's a vote the next one is probably just going to end up being Super Metroid somehow, or Chrono Trigger, or Symphony of the Night, or other games that everyone has played a dozen times.
Could just rotate. Have a list of people and go down the list. If 1 person just selecting a game solo isn't suitable, perhaps that 1 person chooses 3-5 choices and then we have a poll.

To give time to prepare (i.e. people wanting to find a physical copy), we could have a buffer period where we'd know the next game during the current game. So if the timing was a month (for example), we'd have chosen the current game a month ago and the game a month from now would be chosen now. Depends on how long we would talk about one specific game before moving on though.

daydream

Banned
Cool to see that there's some interest. Your points are very fair, Sheepy. I think we could address them, though.

First of all, we could account for availability of the games by adjusting the time frame. If someone wants to sit out a game, he/she always can. Then again, I'd like the discussion to just pertain to the game since there's already a lot of collection and hardware talk in here. So while I would personally aim to obtain all the games we would play in physical form, I wouldn't give anyone the 'receipts.gif' card, if that makes sense. Especially since not everyone has the same funds or the same access to certain games (think PAL/NTSC differences, for example)

As for game choice, I can think of two ways to handle it. We just take turns picking a game. This would just be a gentlemanly/ladylike agreement between us, in the hopes that nobody gets mad. A second option - one that I like even better - would involve me making a poll and people sending in suggestions for the poll. Something like this for example: http://strawpoll.me/4562808

It's not like we have to set strict statutes on everything, we can just go with the flow. As long as we check out some cool Gameboy games we haven't spent much time with before, I think we'll be just fine. :)

daydream

Banned
I see people already went ahead and voted in the (example) poll. I'll take that as everyone being ok with that selection so let's just roll with it, haha.

http://strawpoll.me/4562808/r

Let's give it another day or two. Btw unless there's a tie, I will abstain from voting myself since I put together the selection.

Teknoman

I've been wanting something like this for every retro thread for awhile now. Glad you got the ball rolling!

Khaz

Maybe make an announcement in the consoles threads and redirect the discussion to retro-gaf or a new dedicated thread?

daydream

Banned
Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like Kid D's got this one so I will put up a Game Boy Club thread soon, most likely tomorrow. Maybe after people take note of it, mods can move it to Community (although the 'GAF plays' threads usually stay in Gaming, iirc).

Geez, I was hoping to actually pick up the physical cart for whichever game won, but I don't think I'll be doing that if Kid Dracula is the winner.

dcx4610

Does anyone own an original Game Boy Advance with a backlight mod? I see it mentioned there is a brightness switch but can't find any pictures. How do you adjust the brightness on them?

Japanese version cheaper?

Yeah, it's cheaper, but it looks like it still hovers around ~$30. Not horrible by any means, but I'm not that interested in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super glad we're doing this and I don't mean to come off as whiny. We can still make it work, obviously.

Teknoman

Yeah, it's cheaper, but it looks like it still hovers around ~$30. Not horrible by any means, but I'm not that interested in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super glad we're doing this and I don't mean to come off as whiny. We can still make it work, obviously.

Oh thought it would be cheaper than that. Too many people are getting into the fact that you can play the JP version of something and get the same experience.

Peagles

Does anyone own an original Game Boy Advance with a backlight mod? I see it mentioned there is a brightness switch but can't find any pictures. How do you adjust the brightness on them?

Depends on the mod. Some people put a physical switch into the system, but in the ones I've done I used a ribbon cable adapter to do it via button combinations.

By the way, for anyone still waiting on one of these from me, I haven't forgotten about you. I just had some issues with the last batch of ribbon cables which happened around Chinese New Year, but I'll hopefully be able to get working on them again soon.

Does anyone here have one of those Chinese aftermarket shells for their GBA SP? How are their quality? Do they feel as good in the hand? Do they scratch quickly?

Has anyone else had trouble with people not knowing how to properly ship GBA boxes on eBay? The past two boxes I purchased have been absolutely smashed by the time they got here, because the person shipped them in a bubble mailer. I could see if they at least unfolded the box, but nope.

This last one was a copy of Pokemon Emerald that I got for a steal. Then it gets here and has been just absolutely demolished. They did wrap it in extra bubble wrap, but that doesn't really help much when the actual box you're wrapping is flimsy cardboard.

Peagles

Has anyone else had trouble with people not knowing how to properly ship GBA boxes on eBay? The past two boxes I purchased have been absolutely smashed by the time they got here, because the person shipped them in a bubble mailer. I could see if they at least unfolded the box, but nope.

This last one was a copy of Pokemon Emerald that I got for a steal. Then it gets here and has been just absolutely demolished. They did wrap it in extra bubble wrap, but that doesn't really help much when the actual box you're wrapping is flimsy cardboard.

All the time, both locally and internationally, regardless of whether I've had a full blown conversation with them about packaging it carefully.

People are shit.

Mikurden

All the time, both locally and internationally, regardless of whether I've had a full blown conversation with them about packaging it carefully.

People are shit.

Guess I got lucky then -- I just bought my first GBA game from eBay and they shipped it in a Priority Mail box. The GBA box wasn't mint to begin with, but at least it's fully intact and didn't get wrecked further getting to me.

Peagles

Guess I got lucky then -- I just bought my first GBA game from eBay and they shipped it in a Priority Mail box. The GBA box wasn't mint to begin with, but at least it's fully intact and didn't get wrecked further getting to me.

So you're one for one, that's good but let me know your record after a few years :p

Mikurden

So you're one for one, that's good but let me know your record after a few years :p

It's surprising if even domestic shippers generally can't get this right -- it doesn't even really require any extraordinary care: at a minimum, just ship it in a box. If it's that much of an ongoing problem, I'd think letting them know to expect negative feedback if they ship it improperly would get their attention.

I didn't even give it any thought at the time, but I guess now I know to specifically request that they use a box in the future.

prateeko

USPS flat rate boxes seem to do okay in my experience.

USPS flat rate boxes seem to do okay in my experience.

Any kind of box at all would be pretty sufficient. Why people think a cardboard box is going to survive unharmed in a bubble mailer is beyond me.

Of course, I did receive a Fire Emblem box that made the journey rather unscathed in a bubble mailer, but I would moreso count that as an anomaly.

prateeko

Any kind of box at all would be pretty sufficient. Why people think a cardboard box is going to survive unharmed in a bubble mailer is beyond me.

Of course, I did receive a Fire Emblem box that made the journey rather unscathed in a bubble mailer, but I would moreso count that as an anomaly.

People are idiots. When I was buying more off eBay I would request proper packing before processing the payment so they were aware. I think they're happy to do it but don't since most people don't complain.

thomasos

I've started messaging sellers after literally every purchase asking them to please ship in a box rather than a bubble mailer/padded envelope. A couple have charged a few bucks extra for that, and one person agreed then still sent the game in a bubble mailer, but overall, I've had pretty good success making that request.

Khaz

Guys I need to replace batteries in two of my cartridges, but I can't put a battery holder as it's too bulky. I need CR2032 with solder tabs on it but I'm unable to locate a seller on eBay or Aliexpress, my search skills have failed me. I'm looking for something cheap, possibly in bulk.

Top Bottom