• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

dcx4610

Guys I need to replace batteries in two of my cartridges, but I can't put a battery holder as it's too bulky. I need CR2032 with solder tabs on it but I'm unable to locate a seller on eBay or Aliexpress, my search skills have failed me. I'm looking for something cheap, possibly in bulk.

Very cheap on Amazon as well and you can buy 10 packs. Search for Pokemon battery.

Khaz

Actually, the Pokemon batteries won't do, I need the pads on the same side. But I did found some on eBay.

2716279150034040_1.jpg

Tamanator

Of course, I did receive a Fire Emblem box that made the journey rather unscathed in a bubble mailer, but I would moreso count that as an anomaly.

I recently got Shining Force GBA off ebay. it arrived in a bubble mailer. Almost had a heart attack until I realised that the seller had thankfully flattened the box first, so it was still in good condition.

Actually, the Pokemon batteries won't do, I need the pads on the same side. But I did found some on eBay.

2716279150034040_1.jpg
Is this for GameBoy? Every cartridge I've run into, aside from Pokemon, has CR1616s with the tabs on opposite sides. I bought a set on eBay by searching for GameBoy batteries cr1616.

I think if there is another game that uses RTC you'd probably see CR2025s in that as well.

Khaz

Is this for GameBoy? Every cartridge I've run into, aside from Pokemon, has CR1616s with the tabs on opposite sides. I bought a set on eBay by searching for GameBoy batteries cr1616.

I think if there is another game that uses RTC you'd probably see CR2025s in that as well.

I need them for M3miniSD cartridges.

Is it true that the AGS 001 motherboard is incompatible with the AGS 101 screen and speaker? A damn shame if it is, I will have to wait for YEARS (get my own job, etc. as I am currently in high school) to buy an AGS 101.

(Just got an AGS 001, was planning to replace the screen with a backlit one.)

Peagles

Is it true that the AGS 001 motherboard is incompatible with the AGS 101 screen and speaker? A damn shame if it is, I will have to wait for YEARS (get my own job, etc. as I am currently in high school) to buy an AGS 101.

(Just got an AGS 001, was planning to replace the screen with a backlit one.)

Not sure about the speaker but it's true about the screen unless you make some modifications. You need to connect a couple of points on the mobo if I remember right, I'll try find the website I saw it on. I assume you lose use of the brightness switch too though.

Do you already have the backlit screen or are you planning on buying one now?

Not sure about the speaker but it's true about the screen unless you make some modifications. You need to connect a couple of points on the mobo if I remember right, I'll try find the website I saw it on. I assume you lose use of the brightness switch too though.

Do you already have the backlit screen or are you planning on buying one now?

I had found one for a good local store, but hadn't bought yet. Glad I didn't lose the money.

Thanks for the info, but don't sweat it- I do not want to make such mods.

I guess I'll try to get a summer job... *sigh*

Peagles

I had found one for a good local store, but hadn't bought yet. Glad I didn't lose the money.

Thanks for the info, but don't sweat it- I do not want to make such mods.

I guess I'll try to get a summer job... *sigh*

Well, a backlit screen probably costs the same as buying a complete 101 unit now, since they're long out of production, so you're probably best to do that anyway.

How much do they cost where you're at?

Well, a backlit screen probably costs the same as buying a complete 101 unit now, since they're long out of production, so you're probably best to do that anyway.

How much do they cost where you're at?

Apparently a little bit more than 25 USD, if you mean the screen.

If you mean AGS 101, no trusted online websites in my country have any listings where I can buy something without risking my money- I was planning on importing one from Ebay, which came around to something like 110 USD with shipping (which I can spend with not too much regret, since I love the GBA as a system and I'll be buying an AGS 101 in a good condition from a secure website).

It isn't high priority anyway, now that I have a regular SP- I have some games I want to order from Amazon first.

Thank you for your concern ^^

You can get the screens for 25$? What the hell? That crazy cheap. May be able to mod a GBA with one of those screens for cheaper than an AGS-101 if you like that form factor.

There is only one place selling them, they probably go for far more normally. Unfortunately I am not interested in modding (housing shell change at most, and that is highly unlikely). Figured the screens were a steal.

Peagles

You can get the screens for 25$? What the hell? That crazy cheap. May be able to mod a GBA with one of those screens for cheaper than an AGS-101 if you like that form factor.

Absolutely! Before the screens sold out the last batch I bought cost more than $50 a piece.

You could fund a few 101s just by reselling those screens lol

dcx4610

I love the SP 101. It's probably my favorite handheld of all time. That said, the one thing that has always bothered me is the horrible speaker quality. It's so quiet and you really can't get much out of it.

Has anyone tried to mod the speaker with something more powerful? If so, any links or information?

I love the SP 101. It's probably my favorite handheld of all time. That said, the one thing that has always bothered me is the horrible speaker quality. It's so quiet and you really can't get much out of it.

Has anyone tried to mod the speaker with something more powerful? If so, any links or information?

I can't say for sure, but if it uses a similar format to the DS speakers, you might be able to solder one in. I know this works for a GBC, and afaik, the SP speakers work with the GBC as well so maybe that's a way to go.

OmegaX

Look what just arrived from ebay :D

Everything looks fine, and even the rumble works. I just have a doubt: Is it normal that it shows a Gameboy Player logo just after the Health and Safety warning? I'm playing it in a GBA SP.

OmegaX

I think it's normal, I just checked and my copy does the same.
Ok, thanks. I just thought it was weird.

Very few GBA games have batteries, correct? Is that whole little assembly the rumble device + extra power source?
It must be the little motor that makes the rumble work. My Metroid Fusion uses a battery but it doesn't look like that. Besides, the battery doesn't need any extra space in the cartridge, it goes over the PCB.

Mikurden

It must be the little motor that makes the rumble work. My Metroid Fusion uses a battery but it doesn't look like that. Besides, the battery doesn't need any extra space in the cartridge, it goes over the PCB.

Really, "Metroid Fusion"? I thought most GBA games moved to using non-volatile memory for saved games and it was only a few games that used a realtime clock (like Pokemon, mainly) that needed a battery.

I just got "WarioWare: Twisted!" and I thought I didn't have to worry about batteries dying, but I don't want to open it up. Does anyone know if it uses a battery for saving the game and/or the rumble/gyro?

Mzo

Thanks for the link.

Follow-up question: Does anyone know what the Boktai games use the battery for -- saving and/or the realtime clock? If it's just the realtime clock and you have a dead battery, can you just set the time whenever you turn it on or will you still miss out on some gameplay elements by doing this?

Definitely the clock, mine's died on me. You can still set the time every time you turn on the fucking system or else it defaults to like 12:00 am.

Mikurden

Definitely the clock, mine's died on me. You can still set the time every time you turn on the fucking system or else it defaults to like 12:00 am.

That's kinda what I thought based on what I was able to find out but I wasn't sure if it messed up or prevented some game events from happening, like I think it does for the Pokemon games. I know there's a tree in this game that you can work to improve over time -- can you make and save progress with that during play sessions, setting the date/time every time you power on or do you need a working battery to maintain the clock in order to do anything with this at all?

Mzo

The tree grows seeds that you plant in its roots based off of sunlight absorbed, which only happens as you play the game. It doesn't affect it at all.

Mikurden

The tree grows seeds that you plant in its roots based off of sunlight absorbed, which only happens as you play the game. It doesn't affect it at all.

Okay, so just to beat a dead horse a bit since I'm considering getting a copy, the only downside to a dead battery is the inconvenience of setting the clock every time you play? Do you know if this is true of the sequel as well? Thanks.

Mzo

Yeah, a dead battery in the original is a minor inconvenience. Haven't played enough of the sequel (plus that battery still lives) to advice on that, though, sorry.

Mr. Postman came today.

jbsT05P5CIU74V.JPG

I've wanted a glacier modded GBA for along time, it's such a sexy system & goddamn that screen. Now to dig deeper in the library and hopefully not get screwed over.

I checked all my GBA games for batteries not long ago, and here were my results. These had batteries:

Densetsu no Starfi (J), Fire Emblem 6 (J), F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Moto Racer, Kirby's Nightmare in Dream Land, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Konami Krazy Racers (J version), Bomberman Tournament, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Wario Land 4, and Boktai. That list mentions most of these titles, but not Moto Racer. It has a battery, or at least my copy does.

One game that thread mentions as having batteries doesnt in my copy -- several people there say their copies of FFVI Advance have batteries, but mine has FRAM, not a battery, so that's a game with both apparently.

Is possible to make the AGB-001 model dpad and buttons act the same as the 001 series? To mushy for me, the 001 is much more responsive. If not, I can survive, just prefer the SP.

Is possible to make the AGB-001 model dpad and buttons act the same as the 001 series? To mushy for me the 001 is much more responsive. If not, I can survive, just prefer the SP.

You want to make them clicky? I guess it's not technically impossible to add microswitches to a PCB and custom made/molded buttons to work with the reduced travel distance but it'd be so a stupid amount of work.

The buttons on the SP just seem more responsive and feel better, they don't need to click. I was just wondering what if anyone ever replaced them with something else. Like I said, I can deal, still a great system.

lupinko

Anyone want to recommend Mother 3 for me? Language is a nonissue for me. I've found a complete in box copy here in Sendai for ~¥4900, that's like $40 U.S.

I'm open to more classic gaming.

Right now I'm just playing Pokemon games on GBA, GC, DS and sometimes 3DS. And OoE on DS.

Edit: I think I've seen the combo cart of 1&2 here locally too.

Anyone want to recommend Mother 3 for me? Language is a nonissue for me. I've found a complete in box copy here in Sendai for ~¥4900, that's like $40 U.S.

I'm open to more classic gaming.

Right now I'm just playing Pokemon games on GBA, GC, DS and sometimes 3DS. And OoE on DS.

Mother 3 is easily the best RPG on any Gameboy. Not only is it mechanically sound but the story and character interactions are easily some of the best available.

lupinko

Mother 3 is easily the best RPG on any Gameboy. Not only is it mechanically sound but the story and character interactions are easily some of the best available.

Thanks! Is it battery backup or flash? I know I've said battery backup made the FF ports a no go for me.

dcx4610

Just finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Konami. A very fun little beat em up with homages to other games. It's short but entertaining. Konami still has (had) it.

D.Lo

Just finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Konami. A very fun little beat em up with homages to other games. It's short but entertaining. Konami still has (had) it.
Yeah I love the music in Fall of the Foot Clan. Such a good looking game considering how early it was.

Back from the Sewers is also great, if more cartoony.

Josh7289

I'm really interested in buying a bunch of DS game cases with GBA slots to store my GBA games. Does anyone know where I can get a lot of official ones, preferably unused?

Top Bottom