• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Hi guys,

A member on here once did a really informative post (perhaps in this thread somewhere...) about how to spot fakes. Can anyone link me to it, please?

Also, I know GBA had tonnes of fakes, but were their lots for GBC games too? I'm in conversation about buying some GBC/A games and am trying to get the seller to check their authenticity.

Thanks.

OmegaX

Hi guys,

A member on here once did a really informative post (perhaps in this thread somewhere...) about how to spot fakes. Can anyone link me to it, please?

Also, I know GBA had tonnes of fakes, but were their lots for GBC games too? I'm in conversation about buying some GBC/A games and am trying to get the seller to check their authenticity.

Thanks.

The easiest way to know is opening the cartridge, and checking the PCB.
Here are some links I found with pictures:
http://caggames.weebly.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-pokemon-gba-game.html
http://foryourentertainment.blogspot.com/2007/12/guide-to-identifying-counterfeit-game.html

Edit: This may be the post you were referring to:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125848244&postcount=5581

Edit 2: I also found my own posts about a fake cartridge I got from eBay:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136706389&postcount=6369
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147318194&postcount=6793

dcx4610

Thanks a lot for this!

The easiest/quickest way possible is to look at that "Game Boy Advance" logo. The official logo has flat, textured writing on a smooth background.

Every single fake I have seen without fail has a raised, smooth logo with skinnier font. This is the best example I could find.

gba-logo.png

I've yet to see a fake that has perfectly duplicated the logo but there's always a chance someone used a donor cart for shells. It's a good first step at least. Definitely invest in a tri-wing screwdriver. I take apart every one of my games after purchase for cleaning and verifying they are real.

Mikurden

Isn't the easiest/quickest way possible to spot a fake to just look above the cartridge connectors to see the obvious, white Nintendo copyright text that is otherwise completely absent on fakes? That way you are also looking at the all-important PCB, so there's no need to worry about donor cart shells. It seems to me that this is really definitive to the extent that there's hardly any reason to even go to the extra step of opening it up, especially as compared to studying the "Game Boy Advance" logo for differences that are on the one hand kind of clear, yet also still kind of subtle.

This isn't meant to be a snarky post and I appreciate all the detailed info in the links previously posted, but I'm just genuinely surprised that none of the sources I've read say "Look for the white Nintendo copyright text on the PCB" and just leave it at that or maybe still mention all the other things just as additional info. Am I wrong in thinking that no-one has ever seen a fake that has this PCB text?

--Fake edit--
Actually one site does keep it simple:
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/index.php?title=Counterfeit_GBA_Carts

Other sources I looked at:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux/Beware-GBA-Bootlegs-1390.php
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/2044/how-can-i-spot-a-bootleg-gba-cartridge
http://gbatemp.net/threads/identifying-fake-gba-games-a-useful-faq.327354/

OmegaX

Isn't the easiest/quickest way possible to spot a fake to just look above the cartridge connectors to see the obvious, white Nintendo copyright text that is otherwise completely absent on fakes?

Your third link shows a real cartridge without the copyright symbol:

Notice that it doesn't have the year either.
Compare it to my bootleg Mario Kart cartridge:

The text format is the same on both. The only difference is that the bootleg uses the wrong font but without opening the cartridge you could mistake it as being the same.

Mikurden

The text format is the same on both. The only difference is that the bootleg uses the wrong font but without opening the cartridge you could mistake it as being the same.

Well, I wasn't too concerned about the legit "no copyright year" version of this text, it's just that I hadn't seen any fakes that had any writing there at all, so I thought this was a detail that no-one had even tried to copy. Your bootleg proves that this isn't the case, but it still seems like this should be the first thing anyone looks at and the single best thing to look at without actually opening the cartridge up.

prateeko

Thanks a lot for this!

There is one other site I found helpful in the months that led to me successfully buying GBA games (on eBay) and then making my own guide (middle one there).

I'll see if I can find it. It's harder to do online (which is why I would buy from people who were clearly selling off their collection even though it meant getting into bidding wars and paying more or if the game was complete with box and manual since those are hard to fake also), but in person looking at the label and comparing all the logos (especially the ESRB's fine text, Nintendo pill thickness, and stamped GBA logos) is very helpful and I would recommend you take a verified original cart with you to compare. A triwing screwdriver is cheap and a must in my opinion.

Font is also off on that. A little skinny/thin as compared to the real Nintendo text (look at the real MK post and my middle post in the above quoted reference links).

This is nice. I've been thinking about getting a bunch of these for a while for all my GBA games, but the cost was always so high wherever I looked.

Have any of you guys done this before, using the covers from Cover Project? If so, what's the best way to get these printed out? I don't have a printer, so somewhere online or a store would be preferable.

thomasos

Isn't the easiest way to tell whether a GBA cartridge is fake to look at the pin holes? If they're all along the top, it's genuine. If they're randomly scattered across the pins, it's fake.

This is nice. I've been thinking about getting a bunch of these for a while for all my GBA games, but the cost was always so high wherever I looked.

Have any of you guys done this before, using the covers from Cover Project? If so, what's the best way to get these printed out? I don't have a printer, so somewhere online or a store would be preferable.

I have printed covers from the Cover Project on photo paper and they turned out really good. As long as you have a printer that can handle it. Some places won't print covers for you because of the copyright (Staple Kinkos). I never tried, but I heard some people ran into a problem. I would call ahead of time.

I have printed covers from the Cover Project on photo paper and they turned out really good. As long as you have a printer that can handle it. Some places won't print covers for you because of the copyright (Staple Kinkos). I never tried, but I heard some people ran into a problem. I would call ahead of time.

if you photoshop out any copyright or trademark symbols you shouldn't have a problem printing custom covers at chain stores like that

Highwind

I am looking at collecting boxed copies of Japanese Pokémon games (stopping at Gen 2).

I really don't care if it's complete in box just as long as the game, manual and box are in there, but what should I look for when it comes to fake boxed Japanese games?

I am looking at collecting boxed copies of Japanese Pokémon games (stopping at Gen 2).

I really don't care if it's complete in box just as long as the game, manual and box are in there, but what should I look for when it comes to fake boxed Japanese games?

I'm not going to say that they don't exist, but I haven't really heard of there being a lot of fake boxed gameboy games. The vast majority of fakes are just the cart. I could be wrong though.

Highwind

I'm not going to say that they don't exist, but I haven't really heard of there being a lot of fake boxed gameboy games. The vast majority of fakes are just the cart. I could be wrong though.

It's the impression I am getting online right now. Some saying they don't exist to some saying they're very rare and carts only. The ones I am looking at look legit enough and are cheap for me right now but I wanna be sure.

Might just take the plunge and get 4 of what I need before they're snatched up. The seller has good feedback as well.

There are definitely faked boxed gba games, but nothing above cart level stuff for Japanese GB/GBC from what I've researched so far.

I doubt there are any. I saw a ton of boxed gen 1&2 JPN pokemon games in good condition for <$10. It would probably cost more to make fake boxes than to just buy real ones and sell them.

Highwind

I doubt there are any. I saw a ton of boxed gen 1&2 JPN pokemon games in good condition for <$10. It would probably cost more to make fake boxes than to just buy real ones and sell them.

Really? I can't seem to find Yellow or Green for £15 in good condition, but sometimes those ones come with a lot of other things like all the inserts and the manual. Some have the box beat up a little.

Really? I can't seem to find Yellow or Green for £15 in good condition, but sometimes those ones come with a lot of other things like all the inserts and the manual. Some have the box beat up a little.

Ebay? I was looking in person in Japan. They were so cheap I thought about buying all of them.

Green specifically might be more expensive outside of Japn since it has a weird status of "the one we didn't get" here.

Highwind

Ebay? I was looking in person in Japan. They were so cheap I thought about buying all of them.

Green specifically might be more expensive outside of Japn since it has a weird status of "the one we didn't get" here.

Yeah, Ebay. That's really my only option right now.

Saw some pretty good deals so I managed to get some for £9 - 12 from importing straight from Japan. Pikachu Edition cost me a lot but that was the only one I could find at a resonable price where the box wasn't beat up too badly.

The only one I am missing is Green Version now which I plan on buying something next month (hopefully it isn't too expensive). Once I get that my collection will be complete.

Collecting can get expensive though. :/

dcx4610

Picked up a Micro. A little bit more than I wanted to pay ($125) but I wanted the Japanese black one and it seems like they are getting more and more expensive. Not to mention, it's nearly impossible to find one in good condition.

Thankfully, our Japanese friends seem to really take good care of their stuff...

$_57.JPG

putermcgee

Where are you located and what's the condition. I have one I was going to try and dremel out for a backlit screen but the overall body is in a little rough shape...
I'm in Japan, and the condition is great. It needs a new lens as I mentioned, but the shell and buttons are fantastic. If you're planning on cutting it up, I'd definitely recommend practicing on another shell first. It's unlikely you'd find a replacement if this limited color got screwed up.

Also, look at the holes on the contacts. Real games they are all aligned at the top.

Impotaku

If anyone ever has the problem of a scratched micro faceplate you can actually fix it by using Novus plastic polish. Because all the printing is on the reverse of the plate you can polish away most light scratches on the front without worrying about eating into the paint of the screen.

Probably wont fix super deep gouges but light scratches come out a treat.

If anyone ever has the problem of a scratched micro faceplate you can actually fix it by using Novus plastic polish. Because all the printing is on the reverse of the plate you can polish away most light scratches on the front without worrying about eating into the paint of the screen.

Probably wont fix super deep gouges but light scratches come out a treat.

Are you referring to the Novus "2 - Fine Scratch Remover"?

Impotaku

Yup that's the stuff. I have a bottle of 1 2 & 3 but i think 2 is the most suitable for the types of scratches commonly found on a faceplate. 3 is pretty strong so would have to be used very carefully.

Lost count how many things around the house i have used that stuff on hehe. Originally bought it for my plastics on my pinball table but the stuff is so versatile in what you can use it on.

Yup that's the stuff. I have a bottle of 1 2 & 3 but i think 2 is the most suitable for the types of scratches commonly found on a faceplate. 3 is pretty strong so would have to be used very carefully.

Lost count how many things around the house i have used that stuff on hehe. Originally bought it for my plastics on my pinball table but the stuff is so versatile in what you can use it on.

Yeah, I almost bought the whole pack a while back for my car's convertible window, but ended up selling the car. I may pick up a bottle of it, since it probably would be handy to have.

Highwind

Hi GBGaf.

I decided to get every japanese gameboy Pokemon game except Red & Green (already own Red from years back).

I've decided this time I might use a forwarding service for Yahoo Japan Auction for Green. Even with the fees, I figure it might still be cheaper for me to import this using those services rather than going straight through ebay which is like £25-30 boxed, but I am still not that familiar with the whole thing.

Anyone know/ of/had any good experience with any forwarding services? Looking at FromJapan or Rinkya right now.

Or does a kind gaffer wanna help a brotha out? I'll pay shipping of course! :D

Hi GBGaf.

I decided to get every japanese gameboy Pokemon game except Red & Green (already own Red from years back).

I've decided this time I might use a forwarding service for Yahoo Japan Auction for Green. Even with the fees, I figure it might still be cheaper for me to import this using those services rather than going straight through ebay which is like £25-30 boxed, but I am still not that familiar with the whole thing.

Anyone know/ of/had any good experience with any forwarding services? Looking at FromJapan or Rinkya right now.

Or does a kind gaffer wanna help a brotha out? I'll pay shipping of course! :D
I think there's a Gaffer on here called Cheesemeister or something, based in Japan. S/he advertises in the BST thread about helping people get stuff from Japan. Try PMing a request.

Highwind

I think there's a Gaffer on here called Cheesemeister or something, based in Japan. S/he advertises in the BST thread about helping people get stuff from Japan. Try PMing a request.

O:

Will do. Thanks!

Edit - Ended up finding one for £12 (paypal gave me cashback so I used that). Complete with everything and in good condition. ^_^

psylah

I swear the rarest piece of GB merch is a Pokemon Pinball battery door.

Never found a copy in the wild with it attached.

So the sound on my backlit AGB-001 stopped working. Well, the sound out of the head phone jack works fine. Has anyone replaced the speaker or soldered the wires? The sound always cut in and out so I assume it's the wire. In fact, I can almost see it on the back.
Edit: I have never soldered anything before.

Someone was asking me they wanted to see the reciept for when I bought Ninja Five-O. This was from 11/9/13. Even almost 2 years ago that price is damn good, and this is box, manual, everything, its in fantastic condition.

So the sound on my backlit AGB-001 stopped working. Well, the sound out of the head phone jack works fine. Has anyone replaced the speaker or soldered the wires? The sound always cut in and out so I assume it's the wire. In fact, I can almost see it on the back.
Edit: I have never soldered anything before.

I replaced the speaker on my GBC with one from a Wii remote. I think the one on the GBA was a similar size, and the Wiimote speaker was a pretty close fit with some plastic cut out.

It's pretty simple soldering.

I replaced the speaker on my GBC with one from a Wii remote. I think the one on the GBA was a similar size, and the Wiimote speaker was a pretty close fit with some plastic cut out.

It's pretty simple soldering.

Hmm...thats a good option. Thanks! I'm debating whether or not I want to pick up a different GBA and move the screen to a better board. The directional pad seems stiff even after I cleaned it.

prateeko

Someone was asking me they wanted to see the reciept for when I bought Ninja Five-O. This was from 11/9/13. Even almost 2 years ago that price is damn good, and this is box, manual, everything, its in fantastic condition.

I think it would sell for 10x on eBay so very nice for you. I've never played it but I remember the hoopla about it when it came out (I also remember Shantae and passing on both of them, which was especially bad since Bozon from WayForward frequented IGNs forums at that time where I was a mod and chatted with him a couple times >.< ).

There's a River City Ransom on eBay currently for $40 complete. Well, basically. I thought about picking it up, but decided I wasn't that interested.

kwheaties

Need some advice... I need to sell off my gba collection (long story) and I'm wondering if ebay is the best way. I have around 30-something games, all complete, all original in perfect condition.

I can post pics later if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Yeah, I imagine eBay would be your best bet to get top dollar for your stuff. There's also a thread on NeoGAF for buying/trading/selling over in the community forum if you don't want to deal with eBay fees etc.

Great idea!! What's the best way to determine what the games are worth? For example, I have all zelda, mario and metroid games complete in like-new condition...

This site can be inaccurate at times http://videogames.pricecharting.com
& you can search on ebay by completed listings, to give you an idea of what items sold at highlighted in green. Also people on the BST thread usually price lower because there are no fees involved unlike eBay.

prateeko

This site can be inaccurate at times http://videogames.pricecharting.com
& you can search on ebay by completed listings, to give you an idea of what items sold at highlighted in green. Also people on the BST thread usually price lower because there are no fees involved unlike eBay.

It's quite variable.

It depends on your collection, how complete things are, and their quality. Happy to help here if you want advice (and the B/S/T thread is good too since you can avoid fees buy selling person-to-person whereas eBay/PayPal take up a chunk of your final cost)

Top Bottom