• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Mega

Banned
Had a urge to get an original Gameboy and some Pokemon carts recently. What are the chances everything I see on ebay being fake? Played Pokemon alot growing up but the GB/GBC games were before my time.

Don't know much about these thing so I come to yall for guidance.

Was looking at this and these. Both seem to be a little cheap so that's why I'm skeptical.

Get a Gameboy with a backlit and biverted screen. It's awesome and no twisting your neck and looking for decent lighting just to see the screen.
P6kKiUB.jpg

Or you could go for a cheap AGS-101 SP, probably the best general option if you don't mind the form factor.

-KRS-

Opinions on a GB Pocket? Good way to play original GB games?

It's my favorite Game Boy. It has a larger screen and less ghosting than the original GB. And the screen is in actual black & white. But the battery time is not as great, and the speaker volume is pretty low. It also has issues with flashcarts.

But overall I really like it.

It's my favorite Game Boy. It has a larger screen and less ghosting than the original GB. And the screen is in actual black & white. But the battery time is not as great, and the speaker volume is pretty low. It also has issues with flashcarts.

Thanks. I use rechargables and don't use flash carts.

Lunar FC

JP Pokemon carts are super cheap so that actually looks expensive to me. The GB is probably legit but might have an aftermarket case as part of being "restored".

Alright cool. Don't really mind the restored aspect as long as it works and looks nice.

Japanese used Pokemon games are always cheap, only western versions cost an arm and a leg. If the seller is Japanese (and is based in Japan), the chances of it being a bootleg are fairly low.

eBay is overpriced on purpose because sellers know they can price gouge.

Are there better options online for used carts?

Get a Gameboy with a backlit and biverted screen. It's awesome and no twisting your neck and looking for decent lighting just to see the screen.

Or you could go for a cheap AGS-101 SP, probably the best general option if you don't mind the form factor.

I've got me an SP already. It's an orignal gameboy that I'm looking for. But that backlit one looks pretty rad.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Game Boy Pocket has a larger screen than the Game Boy Color, but I believe it's the same size and the DMG's screen.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Ok, no need to get short.
I didn't intend to be curt. Just trying to emphasize my dismay at getting an $11 eraser. I can see this thing being a neat little collectible if that's what you are after, but when you are expecting a game it's a bit of a disappointment. I'm just using it as a learning experience.

I didn't intend to be curt. Just trying to emphasize my dismay at getting an $11 eraser. I can see this thing being a neat little collectible if that's what you are after, but when you are expecting a game it's a bit of a disappointment. I'm just using it as a learning experience.

Have you thought about contacting the seller? Maybe they'll give you a refund/return/trade, just a thought.

There's also a built-in premium so sellers cover eBay/Paypal fees

Not to mention the extra buyers protections. I only wish that people selling stuff to me in person understood that and didn't try to pull up recently sold ebay auction as the reason why they will not lower price at all.
In reality I wish that bigger sellers would even try to do that as they price things higher then even ebay prices.

thomasos

eBay is overpriced on purpose because sellers know they can price gouge.

You know, I see people say stuff like this all the time, but compared to what? The only other reliable venues for finding retro games are Amazon or retro game shops, and in my experience, both are more expensive than what you can find on eBay with a little patience and perseverance. Is there some overpriced stuff on eBay? Sure, especially with Buy It Now listings. But I'd love to know where everyone is consistently finding cheaper deals.

Cranzor

What do you guys usually do about batteries when buying Game Boy and Game Boy Color games? I want to buy some old carts, but I'm not sure if I should replace the batteries as soon as I get them or just play them and risk then dying on me as I'm part of the way through the games or in a few years from now.

Teknoman

What do you guys usually do about batteries when buying Game Boy and Game Boy Color games? I want to buy some old carts, but I'm not sure if I should replace the batteries as soon as I get them or just play them and risk then dying on me as I'm part of the way through the games or in a few years from now.

Play em now, learn solder skills later.

soldering GB/C game batteries could not be more trivial. super easy.

GBA games are less common and a bit more difficult, since there's less space on the board in my experience.

You know, I see people say stuff like this all the time, but compared to what? The only other reliable venues for finding retro games are Amazon or retro game shops, and in my experience, both are more expensive than what you can find on eBay with a little patience and perseverance. Is there some overpriced stuff on eBay? Sure, especially with Buy It Now listings. But I'd love to know where everyone is consistently finding cheaper deals.

I mean, I saw copies of Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow going for 100yen each, 500yen complete in box yesterday at HardOff in Japan. That's a bit different but that's what the supply for the games are going for, and then re-sellers pick those up and sell them for $20 for all 4 loose on ebay.

I replace the batteries immediately. Buy these and replace the ones in the cartridge, requires dead simple soldering skills. You need CR2025 for Pokemon though, and make sure to get a 3.8mm gamebit screwdriver/bit to open the cartridges.

Some people like to fit cartridges with battery holders instead which are a bit more expensive but probably a better long term solution. I'm content to just solder in new batteries 20 years from now.

What are you on about, lol?

The MGB has a 65mm screen (2.56 inch) whereas the original DMG 66mm screen (2.6 inch). Game boy Pocket actually has a smaller screen.

I think it just looks bigger on the GBP because the uit is smaller in relation to its screen.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yep it's quite a bit larger than the DMG screen.

Oh man! A Gameboy Pocket with DMG colours looks sweet. Anyone know where I can buy a shell exactly like this one with all the buttons and stuff? Would love to customise my pocket to look like it.

Wolfe

Yep it's quite a bit larger than the DMG screen.

Not seeing it dude.

The MGB has a 65mm screen (2.56 inch) whereas the original DMG 66mm screen (2.6 inch). Game boy Pocket actually has a smaller screen.

I think it just looks bigger on the GBP because the uit is smaller in relation to its screen.

Yeah I was about to say, no disrespect to anyone claiming otherwise but they're clearly relatively the same size based on that picture above.

Been a few years since I've owned either version but I never recall thinking one had a bigger screen than the other.

What's a source for a good, compact case for carrying an AGB 001 and a small handful of GBA carts? Most of the 001 cases on eBay look really old, used and janky.

D.Lo

Not seeing it dude.
Okay fair enough I didn't have them in front of me, just remembered it being slightly bigger, googled and found that image where it is slightly larger - but then the pocket is in front so it's just perspective.

Turns out they are pretty much identical in pixel size.

Those figures seem like the plastic measurement? There's more of a gap/borders between the edges of the plastic and the pixels on a DMG than a pocket.

-KRS-

Huh, I always thought the GBP had a larger screen. But as I said I still don't have a DMG to compare with. I really want to get one of those clear DMGs. They're sexy AF. But then again I'd probably never play on it anyway because of the screen blurriness and whatnot.

Oh man! A Gameboy Pocket with DMG colours looks sweet. Anyone know where I can buy a shell exactly like this one with all the buttons and stuff? Would love to customise my pocket to look like it.
It's actually an official variant called GBP classic. Not sure if there are any third party shells.

Famassu

Going through a box of (mostly) DS & GBA games, I was reminded that I have sealed copies of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. :3 Also have a few Bit Generations games in mint condition: Orbital, Dotstream & Soundvoyager. Not all that valuable, but nice to have nonetheless.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow I didn't remember Phalanx and Darius R were soooo bad back on the Super Famicom, I guess I should've replayed them before putting down the money for the GBA ports.

These two are going straight to eBay/retro boards :/

Basically that leaves what, Gradius Galaxies (awesome) and Steel Empire as good shmups on GBA?
R-Type III is a bad port iirc (not the devs' fault), is there anything left? Iridium is mediocre at best btw ;)

entremet

Going through a box of (mostly) DS & GBA games, I was reminded that I have sealed copies of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. :3 Also have a few Bit Generations games in mint condition: Orbital, Dotstream & Soundvoyager. Not all that valuable, but nice to have nonetheless.

Weren't the Bit Gen titles released on the eShop?

Cranzor

Thanks for the battery responses, everyone!

I replace the batteries immediately. Buy these and replace the ones in the cartridge, requires dead simple soldering skills. You need CR2025 for Pokemon though, and make sure to get a 3.8mm gamebit screwdriver/bit to open the cartridges.

Some people like to fit cartridges with battery holders instead which are a bit more expensive but probably a better long term solution. I'm content to just solder in new batteries 20 years from now.

Do you know anything about installing battery holders? I think I'd prefer to do that, but I'm not super knowledgeable about how to do it. Do the battery holder have tabs that get soldered in just like a loose battery would?

Do you know anything about installing battery holders? I think I'd prefer to do that, but I'm not super knowledgeable about how to do it. Do the battery holder have tabs that get soldered in just like a loose battery would?
For GB I'm not actually sure. I've seen holders used mostly with SNES/NES battery replacements, but GB games are much more thin. Try googling a bit, I'm sure someone has tried with GB.

Wish I could find a Gameboy Light without scratches all over it.

Best bet would be to get a limited edition one. The standard gold and silver variants are painted so scratches show quite easily whereas the LEs like Toys R Us Yellow, the Tezuka shop editions, and the Pokemon Center ones have their plastic molded in the color they are instead.
Of course, the LEs are a lot pricier now, though :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Mega

Banned
Yeah, definitely some bad hack jobs out there and I would steer clear if it is obvious. Unfortunately, and intentionally or not, the photos of the GBA did not show the problems. The seller him/herself has a solid rep and has been completely cool about fully refunding me.

Thanks for the info and confirming this isn't normal.

Following up on this, I obtained a second modded GBA after thoroughly making sure it was in good shape. This one has none of the issues seen in the last one (heavy image retention, off center screen, exposed bright backlight, bad d-pad). It looks to have an after-market shell which is fine by me. The screen looks pristine and I'm quite happy with the purchase!

Now I just need a couple of soft bags for when I want to carry this or the regular Gameboy. What do you all recommend? Looking for something non-bulky and without compartments, just to avoid scratching up the systems in my bag.

Now I just need a couple of soft bags for when I want to carry this or the regular Gameboy. What do you all recommend? Looking for something non-bulky and without compartments, just to avoid scratching up the systems in my bag.

Perhaps this case for the GBA?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...771483?hash=item35f9a782db:g:vhIAAOSwFqJWoXaS

For a regular Game Boy, might be a little tougher since most of the cases back then assumed you would be carrying games with it.

nickerous

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...771483?hash=item35f9a782db:g:vhIAAOSwFqJWoXaS

For a regular Game Boy, might be a little tougher since most of the cases back then assumed you would be carrying games with it.

Best case for GBA, PSP, NDS, and 3DS. I have three and would buy more if I found them in decent condition. It was made for the original GBA and wanted you to put the system in the velcro section. The zipper section has a couple elastic straps to hold games and such. What I did was cut those straps out and put the system in the zipper pouch. Works great. Currently, I take my N3DS to work everyday inside this case. Sometimes, I include the gameboy micro in the velcro pouch for super secret gaming.

I have my N3DS XL in one of these and my revo k101 in another one. The XL is a bit snug, but it works and can even zip up.

So seeing a Game Boy Pocket in the original colors made me want to track one down, but eBay had just one under $100 for bidding, so on a lark, I tried Amazon and someone was selling "Used-Acceptable" ones for $40. (link if you're interested)

So it came in today, and it's..well, it's a little beat up, if I'm honest, but it works. But it's kinda dirty and the d-pad a little loose. Do you guys know anyone or perhaps someone here restores these things?

Mega

Banned

Thanks, but I believe I have one of these and they're too bulky. I"m looking for something that adds no substantial amount of bulk and could even fit in the inner pocket of a coat or jacket. Just enough material for basic protection from scratches and wear from neighboring items in a bag.

D.Lo

So seeing a Game Boy Pocket in the original colors made me want to track one down, but eBay had just one under $100 for bidding, so on a lark, I tried Amazon and someone was selling "Used-Acceptable" ones for $40. (link if you're interested)

So it came in today, and it's..well, it's a little beat up, if I'm honest, but it works. But it's kinda dirty and the d-pad a little loose. Do you guys know anyone or perhaps someone here restores these things?
It's really not that hard. I restore consoles of all sorts all the time. I'd do commissions etc but I'm in Australia so postage would be expensive for EU/US.

I want one of those too now, after seeing them in this thread. eBay UK has some Japanese sellers selling them. I'm really OCD about stuff though, so would need one in mint condition.

Top Bottom