• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

It's really not that hard. I restore consoles of all sorts all the time. I'd do commissions etc but I'm in Australia so postage would be expensive for EU/US.

Ok, dumb question but if you've got a slightly dirty outer shell, what's the best way to clean that? Let it soak in some soapy water for a little while and then get at it with a toothbrush or something?

televator

Thanks to this thread, I finally went ahead and started changing out the batteries on my Pokemon carts. Too bad I don't like Pokemon though, but at least I can post them for sale now.

Rich!

Hey guys

Just bought this on ebay for a respectable £50. Look good?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

The only worry I have is this line in the description:

Note: you may notice very faint vertical lines from time to time. This is normal and is present to
some extent on every Game Boy Pocket. It can be slightly more noticable on a backlit screen
though. I thought I would mention this incase you assume it to be fault.

Not sure how accurate that is...can't say I've ever noticed it on a GBP before - but you can see it in the Mew photo above.

Rich!

I have this "issue" on my Pocket. Sometimes it goes off after I switch it off. It's a normal behavior indeed.

Cool thanks! Nice to have that somewhat confirmed!

Just need to get some decent AAA batteries now, preferably 800mAh rechargables as I doubt standard alkalines will last long with the modded screen...they didn't on the last one I owned (then again, it was nowhere near as well done as this one looks)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn, great pick up Richie! The double vertical white line you see in the Mew shot is how it'a supposed to be, don't worry. It's sporadic and usually it goes away if you turn off/on the console.

My latest pickup just arrived :)
I snagged these up shipped from Japan for €21 total, seemed a great deal to me!
I don't even like DKC (I have the 2nd game for EU GBA still sealed) but I love that it's called Super DK over there and it was just 6€ for a near mint complete copy so I said wth let's try these games again. I heard the GBA port of the third game is the best? More levels than SFC and non sucky new GBA music made by David Wise? So the first two ports, which I own, are awful? Didn't pick a NIB DKC3 for €15 when I had the chance last month cause I hate Trixie with passion, seems I done goofed lol

Danneee

I think I saturated my GBA collection too quickly. In the span of a month I've bought a Micro and Puzzle Fighter, Mario Advance 4, Astro Boy, Final Fight, Golden Sun, Minish Cap, Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion and soon Aria of Sorrow.
And I don't know where to begin!

Peltz

I think I saturated my GBA collection too quickly. In the span of a month I've bought a Micro and Puzzle Fighter, Mario Advance 4, Astro Boy, Final Fight, Golden Sun, Minish Cap, Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion and soon Aria of Sorrow.
And I don't know where to begin!
Good problems to have.

Start with Mario Advance 4. It's relatively short and easy compared to the others but also tons of fun.

It should be a fun first go especially if you never played SMB3 before.

Danneee

Good problems to have.

Start with Mario Advance 4. It's relatively short and easy compared to the others but also tons of fun.

It should be a fun first go especially if you never played SMB3 before.

Advice taken:)
I'm actually having a blast and am halfway through already. I actually think it dethrones my favourite mario game (World).

Rich!

So uh, what's the recommended battery mAh for AAA in a GB Pocket, specifically backlit modded? I've bought a USB power adapter for the AC socket that will do fine for most usage.

entremet

Damn, great pick up Richie! The double vertical white line you see in the Mew shot is how it'a supposed to be, don't worry. It's sporadic and usually it goes away if you turn off/on the console.

My latest pickup just arrived :)
I snagged these up shipped from Japan for €21 total, seemed a great deal to me!
I don't even like DKC (I have the 2nd game for EU GBA still sealed) but I love that it's called Super DK over there and it was just 6€ for a near mint complete copy so I said wth let's try these games again. I heard the GBA port of the third game is the best? More levels than SFC and non sucky new GBA music made by David Wise? So the first two ports, which I own, are awful? Didn't pick a NIB DKC3 for €15 when I had the chance last month cause I hate Trixie with passion, seems I done goofed lol

Boy do I love JPN GBA boxes. I only have Rhythm Tengoku, but I wanna buy more.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Trying to get into the SaGa games, should I start with the first FFL or skip to the third one like I'm reading in a lot of places?

B.K.

Loving the picture quality on the modded GBA.

Yeah, they're pretty nice. I bought one from Peagles a couple years ago that had the five brightness levels. It's a pretty nice unit. The only issue I have is that if I barely touch or bump the power switch, the system resets. I don't know if there's a loose wire inside it or what the problem is. They drain battery power really fast too. It's not as bad as a Game Gear, but two AA batteries only lasts me about five hours.

_h8bit

Banned
1ZaKeI7.jpg

Been eyeing one of these for awhile now because I just love this color way. Might not be backlit but I sure will love carrying it around with me every day. Can't wait for it to get here. I might mod it with a backlight somewhere down the line.

B.K.

1ZaKeI7.jpg

Been eyeing one of these for awhile now because I just love this color way. Might not be backlit but I sure will love carrying it around with me every day. Can't wait for it to get here. I might mod it with a backlight somewhere down the line.

It's really not hard to swap out screens from an AGS-101 to 001. I had a spare 101 laying around a few years ago and took the screen out of it and put in a NES anniversary model.

_h8bit

Banned
It's really not hard to swap out screens from an AGS-101 to 001. I had a spare 101 laying around a few years ago and took the screen out of it and put in a NES anniversary model.

Good to know! I've never opened one of these bad boys up before. Gotta get myself a triwing.

Peagles

Yeah, they're pretty nice. I bought one from Peagles a couple years ago that had the five brightness levels. It's a pretty nice unit. The only issue I have is that if I barely touch or bump the power switch, the system resets. I don't know if there's a loose wire inside it or what the problem is. They drain battery power really fast too. It's not as bad as a Game Gear, but two AA batteries only lasts me about five hours.

Try some canned air. It's not a loose wire but a sort of build up in the switch mechanism. That or try switching it a bit with no batteries in. If you have no luck you could always send it back and I'll fix it for you.

The modded system should have comparable battery life to an unmodded system since the new screen is more efficient. I think peagles does a brightness mod, maybe lower it one notch?

Rich!

Getting back into collecting Game Boy carts again. It's nice to have a retro console where the games are actually decently priced, especially the JP versions. Each game I've bought so far is under a fiver, and there's even a few full japanese boxed copies (Wario Land, Donkey Kong) for under £15 on ebay. I remember back in 2006 or so when the SNES was like that!

For Game Boy, unless it's a text heavy game, I nearly always go for the JP version due to lower cost. It helps that a good amount of JP releases are the exact same ROM used in the west (for example, Donkey Kong, Wario Land, Tetris, SML1 all use the same ROM in both regions, byte for byte)

I went on a bit of a CIB JP binge a while back and found that almost anything that wasn't super popular or games dubbed 'hidden gems' (kid dracula, for example) could be found for 10$ or less if you are patient. Pretty great collecting climate.

Rich!

Yep! Gonna go pick up my backlit modded GBP from the post office in a few hours, hopefully the 800mAh AAA batteries end up working well with it. I did previously have a modded GBP before actually for a bit two years ago, but the battery life was terrible. I did only just use cheap batteries though.

This one looks far better anyway - better mod quality and biverted too.

Rich!

Got my backlit GB Pocket today, it's incredible. Will post images later.

Anyone know if glass lenses for the pocket are a thing?

Not yet, the Pocket has never been that popular which I never understood.

I wonder if that has to do with the modding community? The chiptune crowd doesn't like it because the sound quality isn't meant to be as good as the DMG. LSDJ kills the AAA batteires in like 20 minutes as well, so I guess the modding community passed over it more or less.

Rich!

I wonder if that has to do with the modding community? The chiptune crowd doesn't like it because the sound quality isn't meant to be as good as the DMG. LSDJ kills the AAA batteires in like 20 minutes as well, so I guess the modding community passed over it more or less.

Maybe, but that doesn't explain the fact glass lenses for the GBC are widely available.

Rich!

Really want to get my pocket modded, but I rather someone else do it.

Looks great by the way. Has it been biverted?

yep it was biverted, you can see the chip for it just above the screen (albeit not in these photos!)

Gotta get a frontlit GBC next! But the prices for those are uh...expensive.

Top Bottom