• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

My GB Micro froze twice more yesterday while I was away from my house, but I got past the point it was freezing and still managed to get in a good play session. I felt very lucky.

I wonder if this cart is a fake.

Do you have the screwdriver required to open it? You can also take a picture of the gold contacts and post that.

I wonder if this cart is a fake.

Do you have the screwdriver required to open it? You can also take a picture of the gold contacts and post that.

I'm almost positive it's a real cart. I actually bought another copy of the game to make sure I got a good one. Anyways, it looks exactly like my other GBA games in every single way.

Yeah that would be helpful and maybe I missed it but which game is it?

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

I actually was playing Link's Awakening (original GB version) on my GBA SP today, and the sound started fading out sometimes, so I wonder if there's something wrong with the system. The cart is in pretty good condition, but I did buy the SP used.

Grief.exe

I'm almost positive it's a real cart. I actually bought another copy of the game to make sure I got a good one. Anyways, it looks exactly like my other GBA games in every single way.

Might as well post a picture of the contacts for posterity, and if you can open it up to see if there is any damage.

Might as well post a picture of the contacts for posterity, and if you can open it up to see if there is any damage.

My phone's not working right or I would try to get a picture. I've never opened any cart up and I don't have a screwdriver.

Wouldn't it be hard to get a pic of the contacts? They are kind of hidden by the front side of the cart.

Grief.exe

My phone's not working right or I would try to get a picture. I've never opened any cart up and I don't have a screwdriver.

Wouldn't it be hard to get a pic of the contacts? They are kind of hidden by the front side of the cart.

angle.png

I'm just being cheeky. Ya it would be tough, but it can be done.

angle.png

I'm just being cheeky. Ya it would be tough, but it can be done.

Haha. All I know is to look for the official Nintendo logo above the contacts. I also look for the digits that are stamped onto the sticker, and the way the Game Boy Advance is written on the top, and also the E on the rating.

Anyway I won't be buying from that eBay seller again because he lists games as Like New even if there is some obvious wear on the sticker or something. And this cart was listed as Like New, but it's obviously not anywhere near new.

frogg609

Since I don't think there's a thread to the DSi.

I see a 25th anniversary DSi XL on EBay for 250 usd. However, it's from Turkey. I would like to get one of these sealed, but would rather not get ripped off (never bought anything from Turkey.)

Thoughts?

Grief.exe

Looking at Craigslist this morning for AGS-101 donors for a potential backlit GBA. The pickings are getting lean around here.

Is there a really good Dragon Ball Z game for the GB/C/A?

If I remember my childhood correctly, this one draws comparison to Link's Awakening in gameplay mechanics and is considered the best.

0434.jpg

I see a 25th anniversary DSi XL on EBay for 250 usd. However, it's from Turkey. I would like to get one of these sealed, but would rather not get ripped off (never bought anything from Turkey.)

Thoughts?
It may be legit. Can you link the seller? I bought my spare green GBA SP 101 from a seller in Turkey, brand new. Is totally legit. Paid around £120 GBP of something like that.

Peagles

Thoughts?

I see it. Looks legit. Are you worried about getting a fake or not receiving anything at all? As long as you use Paypal you should have buyer protection anyway. They also have 100% positive feedback and seem to sell this kind of stuff often.

Do you specifically want an EU one? I see there's some brand new JP and US region systems at comparable prices too, if you're that way inclined.

I love my US 25th Anniversity DSi XL but I think I like the JP 7eleven DSi even more :)

Looking at Craigslist this morning for AGS-101 donors for a potential backlit GBA. The pickings are getting lean around here.

If I remember my childhood correctly, this one draws comparison to Link's Awakening in gameplay mechanics and is considered the best.

0434.jpg

Yeah, that one is definitely not considered the best. The sequels are pretty good though.

Mega

Banned
I personally liked Supersonic Warriors, fun and casual fighting game.

Haven't played it myself, but Legacy of Goku 2 is supposedly a big improvement over the first game. Buu's Fury and DB Advanced Adventure also come up when this question is asked.

I have no need for one, but I just bought a biverted backlit DMG on eBay.

*sigh*

I really need to get some practice in soldering so I can backlight that GBP I have.

How is this possible

How

I honestly don't know <_<

I did get started in gaming pretty late in my childhood. The gameboy advanced (an SP) was my first console, when I was in 5th grade. I bought a gameboy color later when the DS cut off backwards compatibility (and I sold the GBA SP), but I never owned an OG model.

Grief.exe

I didn't get any hits on tracking down a used AGS-101 on Craigslist locally.

Might be tough trying to source something for a backlit GBA.

I didn't get any hits on tracking down a used AGS-101 on Craigslist locally.

Might be tough trying to source something for a backlit GBA.

I'm not sure what search terms you used, but if you want one on the cheap, you're not going to want to search for "AGS-101" as everyone who would label is that way, realizes the difference and wants to charge you more. Look for "brighter" or the specific colors that were exclusive to the AGS-101 hardware such as the light baby blue variant.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure what search terms you used, but if you want one on the cheap, you're not going to want to search for "AGS-101" as everyone who would label is that way, realizes the difference and wants to charge you more. Look for "brighter" or the specific colors that were exclusive to the AGS-101 hardware such as the light baby blue variant.

I just search by 'gameboy,' 'game boy,' and 'gba,' so I can pick up everything possible.

So my GBA flash cart finally came in the mail

It's exactly what I wanted: and old-style GBA flash cart that uses internal memory to emulate a proper cartridge almost exactly.

I feel like a bit of an idiot, though, because I can't actually make it work. XD

None of the software I've tried seems to recognize the stupid linker. I'm using a virtual machine (Windows XP, SP2, 32bit), so I shouldn't be running into any compatibility problems.

I made a thread on GBATemp so hopefully I'll get some responses there.

That's the version and color of the SP I have. I never had the older version of it either.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My backlit DMG has started to hard-reset itself after a couple of minutes, kind of heartbreaking after not wanting to ever open it up again. Wondering what could be wrong here...

Doing some spring cleaning and found this brand new GBA 001 plastic flip screen protector, anybody here ever use one of these? It's old 2001/02 and oddly enough made by Viz. wonder if it'd be good/safe to use on my glass cover backlit mod?

Doing some spring cleaning and found this brand new GBA 001 plastic flip screen protector, anybody here ever use one of these? It's old 2001/02 and oddly enough made by Viz. wonder if it'd be good/safe to use on my glass cover backlit mod?

Neat, I'd love to have one of these for my AGB

I wonder why it took Nintendo so long to start putting backlights into their handhelds. Certainly it was obvious they weren't ideal screens. The OG GBA should've had one, at the very least.

I wonder why it took Nintendo so long to start putting backlights into their handhelds. Certainly it was obvious they weren't ideal screens. The OG GBA should've had one, at the very least.

Battery life and price mostly. CCFLs used way too much battery and were the goto for backlights for a long time. LEDs were much easier on battery but especially white ones were expensive for a long time.

The reflective screens they used on GBC and GBA were at least very good TFTs, and the GBC one especially works really well. I'm not sure why but the GBA one seems way harder to see under identical lighting conditions.

Battery life and price mostly. CCFLs used way too much battery and were the goto for backlights for a long time. LEDs were much easier on battery but especially white ones were expensive for a long time.

The reflective screens they used on GBC and GBA were at least very good TFTs, and the GBC one especially works really well. I'm not sure why but the GBA one seems way harder to see under identical lighting conditions.

That's interesting. I had a Turbo Express which was color, but it definitely ate up a lot of AA batteries. The GBA SP and micro are pretty nice though.

probably a product of their "low cost/low power" philosophy rather than any actual necessity.

That makes sense but I didn't think it was already Nintendo's thing back then.

alf717

How do you guys store you GBA/GB Cartridges? Are there binders or storage cases made to hold multiple single cartridges?

Good question. I've seen people with binders but I always wondered if they were custom. My games are either boxed or in the plastic cases if I have them. Otherwise I just store them in a closet.

I have a shelf and just let all my cartriges sit in small stacks, with my favorites out in front. Zelda stack, Pokemon stack, Dragon Warrior stack, other stack, with misc in the back sorted by GB, GBC, GBA. I've tried other stuff but I think I had a similar setup even when I was a kid and it's always been easier to find stuff this way.

Cheerilee

That makes sense but I didn't think it was already Nintendo's thing back then.

Gunpei Yokoi (creator of the GameBoy) had a philosophy which said "Lateral thinking with withered technology." Not "cutting edge" tech or even "mature" tech, "withered" tech. His ideal was "Find a pile of old junk, then get creative and come up with something fun to do with it."

Color and backlighting were available at reasonable prices long before the GameBoy line adopted them.

Iwata eventually quoted Yokoi's philosophy when he introduced that idea to Nintendo's home consoles with Wii.

Gunpei Yokoi (creator of the GameBoy) had a philosophy which said "Lateral thinking with withered technology." Not "cutting edge" tech or even "mature" tech, "withered" tech. His ideal was "Find a pile of old junk, then get creative and come up with something fun to do with it."

Color and backlighting were available at reasonable prices long before the GameBoy line adopted them.

Iwata eventually quoted Yokoi's philosophy when he introduced that idea to Nintendo's home consoles with Wii.

That's a fantastic quote. Nintendo, for all their wondrous magic, is truly a mess. lol.

D.Lo

That's a fantastic quote. Nintendo, for all their wondrous magic, is truly a mess. lol.
A mess?

The Wii was by far the most profitable console of all time, DS the second, and the Game Boy was on the market for 10 years (14 with the Game Boy Color). All three easily defeated their more powerful competitors.

A good chunk of the Wii U's failure is that it didn't follow that philosophy, as it was too expensive and used a bunch of expensive custom tech.

A mess?

The Wii was by far the most profitable console of all time, DS the second, and the Game Boy was on the market for 10 years (14 with the Game Boy Color). All three easily defeated their more powerful competitors.

A good chunk of the Wii U's failure is that it didn't follow that philosophy, as it was too expensive and used a bunch of expensive custom tech.
A mess as in scattered, oddly focused, eccentric. Their success is just as real as their strange hardware, software, and design quirks. I'm not saying they're incompetent, nor do I understand how telling me widely known sales facts is relevant.

Dishwalla

Banned
How do you guys store you GBA/GB Cartridges? Are there binders or storage cases made to hold multiple single cartridges?

Good question. I've seen people with binders but I always wondered if they were custom. My games are either boxed or in the plastic cases if I have them. Otherwise I just store them in a closet.

I put loose carts in binders with trading card sleeves, like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HIOVOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

you can also buy them at places like Office Depot.

Top Bottom