• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

was bored

pro sound modded my new super game boy 2....did a far better job with the jacks than last time!

dsc_00190kyf2.jpg

dsc_00211alj0.jpg

dsc_00220yxub.jpg

Does the SGB2 have some audio buzz inherent to how the cart replicates the gameboy? Or is prosound just avoiding going through the potential forest of interference in the SNES?

Rich!

Does the SGB2 have some audio buzz inherent to how the cart replicates the gameboy? Or is prosound just avoiding going through the potential forest of interference in the SNES?

the latter

it's a perfect clean signal with crisp bass, significantly better than when routed and mixed through the SNES (and whatever AV/SCART cable you may have)

the latter

it's a perfect clean signal with crisp bass, significantly better than when routed and mixed through the SNES (and whatever AV/SCART cable you may have)

Figured. I'm of the mind some of the prosound mods are a bit superfluous, but there are plenty of audiophiles in the GB community for a number of reasons, so fair enough.

It's mandatory on the GBC, though. Without it, it's instant migraines.

Hmm. I just played through all of Donkey Kong (1994) on the SGB2 and didn't notice any issues. However, I was playing the audio through a Jambox, so not super hi-fi (just WAY better than using the mono speaker in my broadcast CRT).

Will check it out soon on a headphone amp and see what I think.

Rich!

Figured. I'm of the mind some of the prosound mods are a bit superfluous, but there are plenty of audiophiles in the GB community for a number of reasons, so fair enough.

i dunno man, there's a pretty clear difference. This is an example I took recorded from my prosound DMG:

top: prosound
bottom: stock

And here's the mp3 of it. First 30 seconds is stock, latter is prosound: http://www.filedropper.com/prosound

i dunno man, there's a pretty clear difference. This is an example I took recorded from my prosound DMG:

And here's the mp3 of it. First 30 seconds is stock, latter is prosound: http://www.filedropper.com/prosound

Was the volume change just from the mod? To me, the difference in clarity is basically non existent (which makes sense, as the DMG is clean as fuck), and that's the bit that matters most in my mind.

Couple seconds of silence stock vs prosound (even the internal mod) on a GBC is readily apparent to even the deaf.

Mega

Banned

The graph just shows it is overall louder which is not a bad thing since there's no clipping, but it's not an indication that there's a big improvement. It would be useful if you're using the GB for something like music and it's not loud enough at max volume. You need to normalize audio levels to do a better comparison. Pro sound is worse on my Yamaha IEMs (blaring) until turning down the volume to be tolerable and sound about the same as stock audio. The two are probably indistinguishable unless you have the equipment and ear to differentiate. From what I read "pro sound" just increases volume, adds a bit of bass and most important for the chiptube community, decreases slight audio hiss when recording music.

This guy does a really good comparison of all the GB and DS models, including with and without audio mod where applicable.
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Classic
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/1audio/classic.mp3

Pro Sound
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/1audio/classic_pro_sound.mp3

I can hear that that the latter sounds a little quieter when normalized which is something mentioned in the link.

The prosound mods bypass the attenuation done for headphone use. This is good if you want a line level signal for some music thing where everything is expected at line level. Otherwise, unless you can verify that you're getting noise specifically from the headphone attenuation, it's an ugly waste.

On a Super Gameboy specifically unless you intend to do LSDJ or something directly on that it's especially wasteful cause you'll lose all mixing with the Super Nintendo for special sound effects generated in the SNES audio hardware in select Super Gameboy enhanced games like DK94 or Kirby's Dreamland 2.

How do you guys store you GBA/GB Cartridges? Are there binders or storage cases made to hold multiple single cartridges?

My Game Boy carts are kept in these. On the left, a Game Boy carrying case I've held on to since I was a kid. The right is a case I found years ago when GBA carts were still sold.

Believe it or not, I still have all the original plastic cases for my GB games so they stay in those. The main compartment at the bottom held the GB and games went at the top, with some elastic bands that could hold them in place if so desired. There's two zippered pockets on the back. I just picked up another one of these on eBay to hold stuff - they eventually just made the back one big pocket. Also, I find it interesting that this case in this form continued to be sold into the GBA era.

The GBA case has holders for the games. I never had plastic cases for these. For a while, I used to keep my NES GBA SP in here too, but then I figured it would be better to store separately to avoid nicks and such since it was loose with the charger.

My Game Boy carts are kept in these. On the left, a Game Boy carrying case I've held on to since I was a kid. The right is a case I found years ago when GBA carts were still sold.

Believe it or not, I still have all the original plastic cases for my GB games so they stay in those. The main compartment at the bottom held the GB and games went at the top, with some elastic bands that could hold them in place if so desired. There's two zippered pockets on the back. I just picked up another one of these on eBay to hold stuff - they eventually just made the back one big pocket. Also, I find it interesting that this case in this form continued to be sold into the GBA era.

The GBA case has holders for the games. I never had plastic cases for these. For a while, I used to keep my NES GBA SP in here too, but then I figured it would be better to store separately to avoid nicks and such since it was loose with the charger.
I want that GBA game case!

Grief.exe

How do you guys store you GBA/GB Cartridges? Are there binders or storage cases made to hold multiple single cartridges?

I use DS cases to hold GBA games, you can also print out the covers from The Cover Project that work in the DS cases.

I made some GBA templates in Photoshop and printed some boxes out of cardstock, see if you can spot the fake ones.

2BWCJAk.jpg

So, I'm an idiot.

I was using my Gameboy Micro while waiting for the bus (which I just got a few weeks ago, by the way), and when the bus came, I slipped it into pocket overly quickly, and, well, it fell.

The system still works fine, of course—it's made of Nintendium—but it's now a bit scratched, whereas it looked perfect before. There's a bunch on the faceplate I don't care about—I've been meaning to get a new faceplate anyway—but then there's this:

It's a pretty minor scratch—I had to angle the system just right so it would show up in the photo—but it's going to bother the heck out of me for years to come.

Short of replacing the button altogether myself, which I don't really feel comfortable doing (I'm not sure where I'd get a Gameboy Micro L button from anyway), is this fixable? I found this video showing someone using a paste called PlastX to remove scratches from a laptop case, would that work on my L button?

Edit: In particular, are the GBM shoulder buttons made out of plastic or metal? They look metallic but I can't quite tell if it's real metal or fake metal.

The only reason I don't care about scratches on the faceplate is that I've been meaning to get a new one anyway. Really don't like the one it came with.

That L button on the other hand, I'm stuck with forever.

Short of replacing the button altogether myself, which I don't really feel comfortable doing (I'm not sure where I'd get a Gameboy Micro L button from anyway), is this fixable? I found this video showing someone using a paste called PlastX to remove scratches from a laptop case, would that work on my L button?

davidwhangchoi wrote out a really good tutorial for removing scratches from CDs which involved PLastX; I'd imagine it might work for the plastic on your GBM.

The only reason I don't care about scratches on the faceplate is that I've been meaning to get a new one anyway. Really don't like the one it came with.

That L button on the other hand, I'm stuck with forever.

Sorry about your Gameboy! I've been taking my MIcro out with me and I would be upset if I messed it up. I like mine a lot. At least, it doesn't look too bad.

I tried my regular GBA in a chair with a light behind it and still could barely see the screen. Also the GBA SP battery life is kind of bad. Micro seems to last longer.

daydream

Banned
finally found copies of dragon warror i & ii as well as dragon warrior iii for gbc

they're from the same seller but i first ordered only one to see what condition it'd be in and it's perfect so i also ordered the other one asap

finally found copies of dragon warror i & ii as well as dragon warrior iii for gbc

they're from the same seller but i first ordered only one to see what condition it'd be in and it's perfect so i also ordered the other one asap

I have those games. It's been about 5+ years since I've played them though. I especially think the first one is cool because you just have one character instead of the usual RPG party.

Why mod it if you're just going to sell it?

Feels like advertising, honestly. And not even good advertising seeing as there are people on this same page saying the mod is superfluous.

Rich!

Why mod it if you're just going to sell it?

Feels like advertising, honestly. And not even good advertising seeing as there are people on this same page saying the mod is superfluous.

Oh don't be a fucking shit.

I bought two, I modded two, I sold one. Who gives a fuck? You've been hostile towards me in numerous threads for a while, and I don't understand why. I've been (hopefully) more helpful to this forum over the past near eight years far more than you have ever been (and numerous posters here can back me up), so give me a break.

Mega

Banned
I don't think he was provoked at all. I don't throw a fit when beer and missile run circles around me on their CRT know-how or when televator takes us all to school on his knowledge on color spaces. D.Lo knows 100x more than I do about my favorite console. Timu does shit with capture cards that I know exactly zero about. I like that there are people in here smarter than me dropping knowledge, maybe correcting me when I'm talking out of my ass. Why get angry about it? This is all supposed to be for fun. Rich needs to remember that and chill out. Anyway...

What's interesting about it? Pro sound mod in itself comes off as pointless for gaming as a good DMG is plenty loud enough already. The SGB is connected to a TV and speakers so you really don't need an audio boost... it's pointless. Sheepy further highlighted that doing this kills extra audio in certain games working in tandem with the SNES hardware. Anything that takes away from a game is a huge negative to me, like folks forcing 240p and scanlines onto 480i and 480p games (destroying literally half of the game's visuals).

I don't think it should even be called pro sound as it seems like an exaggeration and possibly an untruth. There is no actual improved audio quality except in reduced background noise in music recording applications. In the link I posted earlier on this page (edit: last page) from a seeming expert on chiptune audio, the guy says he doesn't know where the name came from and, implying it's a misnomer, it should be called "line out mod" so as not to blow out of proportion on what it really does. That may seem like nitpicking, but I had a portable DAC + amp, connected via USB OTG to my old Galaxy phone, bypassing the inferior internal DAC and providing a real and evident improvement to sound across the board. The bivert mod is legit. This "pro sound" stuff is just nonsense.

Peagles

I think the tech banter is fine, but I don't think there's any need to attack people for selling things; we quite often get members posting in the retro threads to give a heads up about items in BST... I don't personally have any issue with it.

Mega

Banned
I don't mind either. And it's true that Normal misjudged calling out Rich's harmless sales heads-up, but 1. while the two have a bit of history, I don't think one was personally going after the other, and 2. Rich didn't have to dial it to 11 at the drop of a dime. These are really mild arguments and disagreements...

Gameboy415

I haven't found a great solution for GBA carts so I just keep mine in binders using trading card pages.
I was keeping my games in DS boxes with print-outs from The Cover Project (and submitted quite a few covers back in the day!) for a while but I quickly ran out of cases and they were taking up too much shelf space so I switched to the binders.

For GB/GBC games, I use Nyko's Deluxe Care Cases:

Each case holds 12 carts and they're pretty dang durable! I have 15 or 16 cases full at the moment but I think I need 3-4 more, haha.

They're pretty hard to find new these days but it looks like there are actually a few available on Amazon from a 3rd-party seller for ~$17 shipped if anyone wants to get one: Nyko Deluxe Care Case

That looks like a really nice GBA game case! How many carts does it hold? Any idea what the name of that specific case might be (like "Nintendo Game Binder" or something)?
I'd love to track down a few! :)

I admit I'm really not a fan of sales posts. The combo of doing a dumb mod (that he got defensive about when people disagreed on the utility of) plus turning around and trying to sell it was enough to get a snarky post.

Deliberately provoking rich is giving me too much credit though

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm not excusing his outburst but still seems like you provoked him and pushed his buttons just far enough. It's an interesting mod and to each their own I guess. All I'm saying.
Judging from his posts in the past, it's not hard at all to push his buttons. Guy wasn't even being that rude.

That looks like a really nice GBA game case! How many carts does it hold? Any idea what the name of that specific case might be (like "Nintendo Game Binder" or something)?
I'd love to track down a few! :)

There's 8 slots to a "page". With 4 "pages", that's 32 games.

I don't remember what it was called, so I can't say what to search for. I tried one to look for pictures and came up with nothing. Good luck!

Top Bottom