• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Just read that they're planning a Kickstarter to develop their own GBA backlights and groaned. Given their petulant approach to being called out for poor quality, I can see crowdfunding ending remarkably well.

Where did you see that, I can't find it. Like backlit screen or just a light + films for existing unlit screens? The latter might be feasible for them but I don't think they have the engineering knowhow or contacts to do the former.

Offtopic but I just saw their custom SNES shell... yuck. Also they're ruining mostly fine Super Famicoms to make them, which has a much better design. :,(

Such a weird business.

I remember a little while back someone on reddit posted a collection of their GBA consoles. All from rcg. Probably thousands wworth of GBAs with varying paint jobs and button colors.

Why do people buy them?

Such a weird business.

I remember a little while back someone on reddit posted a collection of their GBA consoles. All from rcg. Probably thousands wworth of GBAs with varying paint jobs and button colors.

Why do people buy them?

I don't know. Their repro stuff is pretty cringy too.

Their console/game stands actually look cool though.

The stands I'll give them. The custom consoles tend just to be paint jobs and different colored buttons. I mean fair enough most people can't cast their own, but it just seems like a lot of money for very little original work.

Decider

Where did you see that, I can't find it. Like backlit screen or just a light + films for existing unlit screens? The latter might be feasible for them but I don't think they have the engineering knowhow or contacts to do the former.

They mentioned it in comments on their Instagram page but haven't elaborated much more beyond that.

Edit: link.

I fully expect to be looking at many many tens of thousands of dollars to actually get a true replacement screen. If we were to get one, though, with less ghosting than the ags101 screens, that would be fantastic.

I really don't trust rcg to get that done, though. We'll see.

prateeko

I do not know what kind of technical knowledge RCG has as far as making a backlit LCD for the AGB, but given they have partnered with chinese companies in the past I imagine anything they do come up with would then be sold by the same manufacturers (just as their GBMicro faceplates are) since IP ownership is a very fluid thing.

That said, given some of the quality issues that have been reported I would wait and see how a kickstarter goes before spending money. Saving and seeing the final product would be preferable even if it costs me more in terms of time and wait.

So, I want to get a backlit GBA AGB-001, but since the last time I looked there are a lot more of these things for sale, and prices have gone up as well. Last year I actually bought a AGB-001 and AGS-101 and was going to attempt the mod myself, but got cold feet (never modded anything ever). Now I think I'd just like to buy one...is there anything I should look out for? It seems like a lot of people are using aftermarket AGB-001 shells, which I don't really like. Are people using aftermarket screens as well? If so, are any of the screens actually better than the AGS-101 screens (less ghosting)?

I just want to be able to make an informed purchase if I get one of these, so any tips would be appreciated.

I am having the worst freaking luck on gameboy micro related purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jERHYkzg2c

See this crappy faceplate? It doesn't freaking fit. I messaged the etsy seller, but he didn't offer to replace it, and it's listed as "sold as is".

Is it my fault for buying a nonreturnable item? Yes. But geez, I expected it to actually fit!

See this crappy faceplate? It doesn't freaking fit. I messaged the etsy seller, but he didn't offer to replace it, and it's listed as "sold as is".

Is it my fault for buying a nonreturnable item? Yes. But geez, I expected it to actually fit!
Did you pay with PayPal? If so try and contest it through them.

Here's the hard truth: there are NO good replacement faceplates. it's OEM or bust. All the others are made of weak plastic, don't have properly transparent glass, don't fit properly, etc.

I've tried 3 different types at this point (RCG, and 2 aftermarket chinese random ones) and while RCG is serviceable, it scratches easier than anything I've ever owned and will easily break where the tab are.

Here's the hard truth: there are NO good replacement faceplates. it's OEM or bust. All the others are made of weak plastic, don't have properly transparent glass, don't fit properly, etc.

I've tried 3 different types at this point (RCG, and 2 aftermarket chinese random ones) and while RCG is serviceable, it scratches easier than anything I've ever owned and will easily break where the tab are.

Why though? They're just pieces of plastic.

This one would have been perfect if actually fit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Noobow has such a great aesthetic and animation, it's just always too expensive for me.

Dishwalla

Banned
Bought a copy of Pokemon Pinball in the box, only the manual included is not for Pinball, it's for Pokemon Red. Not really mad, I already have the manual for Blue so the Red manual compliments it, but it's still kinda weird. Oh well, guess I'm on the lookout for a stray Pokemon Pinball manual.

prateeko

Bought a copy of Pokemon Pinball in the box, only the manual included is not for Pinball, it's for Pokemon Red. Not really mad, I already have the manual for Blue so the Red manual compliments it, but it's still kinda weird. Oh well, guess I'm on the lookout for a stray Pokemon Pinball manual.
Depending on the condition of that manual you may be able to sell it for more than our swap for a Pokémon pinball manual

d+pad

Noobow has such a great aesthetic and animation, it's just always too expensive for me.

Agreed. It's a great little game, but I can't say it's worth what it tends to go for these days. Thankfully, I was able to nab the copy showcased in my blog post for a steal three years ago...

John Blade

Was wondering if anyone can fix a front light gba as mine have this weird thing where you only see white light not the game itself. Shaken it a bit might fix this issue for a short while but was wondering if they is a way to fix this issue.

Impotaku

Finally got some protectors for my games to keep them from getting shelf wear which would be a shame as most are in mint condition.

An update to the collection, not as large as my DS collection but a nice selection of games.

c9d487499b.jpg

c9d4cb1138.jpg

c9d59c0fe9.jpg

c9d4e3f70b.jpg

c9d4f4cb2a.jpg

c9d5820b0e.jpg

c9d59a4875.jpg

c9d540825f.jpg

That's pretty much all my games, haven't included the consoles or e-reader stuff.

Impotaku

The 20th anniversairy of the famicom was a fun time to own a GBA, those sets are special to me as i used my very own Jpn club nintendo account to get the collection cases for them. Remember trying to get all 10 games in each set and registering the codes before the deadline which was tough as some games were harder to find than others in the shops, my friend had to go far & wide to hunt them all down. Was loads of fun playing the hell out of each set though as i eagerly waited for my case to finally turn up.

Sadly i don't think we'll ever see an anniversairy set like those from Nintendo again. Would love to see one though.

I'm afraid of his DS collection

This i an old pic as i haven't taken updated ones in ages, it has expanded to about double the amount of games that are in the pic. At my last count it was 286 games.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importaku/S6302644.jpg

Robin64

Is the Micro battery prone to going a bit crap?

I left my Micro on charge for a few hours yesterday, but when it was "done" I got about 10 minutes of life from it. It only took a few minutes for the lights to go red.

I'd rather not have to get another Micro. :\

I left my Micro on charge for a few hours yesterday, but when it was "done" I got about 10 minutes of life from it. It only took a few minutes for the lights to go red.

I'd rather not have to get another Micro. :\

You can buy replacement batteries I believe. Though thats odd, normally the GB Micro has fantastic battery life.

milkham

I've recently started thinking about re-acquiring an AGB-001 and I have been looking at the different screen mod options available.

Is the HandHeld Legend front light kit with LOCA install method comparable or better than the front lit screen on the GBA SP AGS-001 model?

If one were to buy an AGS-101 to swap the screen into the original GBA, is there any way to adjust the intensity of the backlight? I don't mean during the install but once everything is back together and you need to adjust the backlight in consideration of ambient light levels.

I've read back 50 pages in this thread and don't think I saw my questions covered but if they were, my apologies.

Peagles

I've recently started thinking about re-acquiring an AGB-001 and I have been looking at the different screen mod options available.

Is the HandHeld Legend front light kit with LOCA install method comparable or better than the front lit screen on the GBA SP AGS-001 model?

If one were to buy an AGS-101 to swap the screen into the original GBA, is there any way to adjust the intensity of the backlight? I don't mean during the install but once everything is back together and you need to adjust the backlight in consideration of ambient light levels.

I've read back 50 pages in this thread and don't think I saw my questions covered but if they were, my apologies.

You can get a special (expensive) ribbon cable adapter from China that allows for 4-5 levels of brightness in an AGB-101 mod. I can highly recommend it.

In other news... Yes yes I will get back to my list soon, still slaving over my damn thesis.

prateeko

You can get a special (expensive) ribbon cable adapter from China that allows for 4-5 levels of brightness in an AGB-101 mod. I can highly recommend it.

In other news... Yes yes I will get back to my list soon, still slaving over my damn thesis.

Your thesis wouldn't happen to be on slavery would it :p?

Mega

Banned

It's probably worse. Based on the GBC/GBA mods around,

Afterburner kit > AGS-001 > other third party mods with LOCA

Afterburner precedes the SP and it's supposedly what Nintendo based the SP frontlight on.

true Gek

I'd rather not have to get another Micro. :
You can buy a new battery on eBay. I've done the same for my Blue Micro (the Silver one is ok) and the battery life is quite good. Also the replacement is very easy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is there a point in owning a Super Game Boy if you also own a Game Boy Player? I never use mine anymore, but not sure if I should keep it just in case.

Is there a point in owning a Super Game Boy if you also own a Game Boy Player? I never use mine anymore, but not sure if I should keep it just in case.
A handful of games have special color palettes with it. But they are so cheap, no point in getting rid of it anyway.

Top Bottom