• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Gintamen

Monkey Puncher!

Monkey_Puncher.jpg

One of my favourite titles besides those already on the list. Damn it was so addicting.

keep

As I've seen a few people talking and posting pics of flash carts, I was wondering if someone could tell me which one to buy for a person who LEGALLY paid for a Japanese copy of Mother 3 and now would like to play it in English, thank you very much Nintendo for never bringing it to the West. I have a huge collection of GBA games and don't really want to use the flash cart for anything else than to replace the Mother 3 JAP copy, but I've no idea which one to buy. Anyone can help (if they still sell these things?)

For one, stop calling it NTSC or PAL. NTSC refers to the TV video format, NTSC in US and Japan, and PAL in Europe. While most of us know what you mean, but when dealing with handhelds it's more correct calling it by the territory names.

So, in your case, it should be "I only collect NA games"

Maybe you already knew that, but I'm sure others didn't.

Woah no need to be so hostile in tone friend!
(or maybe im missing your emotional intent lol you tell me)
Yes like say 360, ps2, even ps1 games (that directly are labeled NTSC...) I simply refer to all NA games (yes including portable games) as NTSC its alot simpler to connote nationality of games/region derivation.

How do the BoF GBA titles hold up?

Does it remain faithful to the SNES versions?

They're pretty good. As you might expect the music isn't quite as good and the graphics have been lightened to make them easier to see on the GBA, so they don't look as deep and rich as the SNES versions. However they made a few slight improvements, like new portraits in the status screen and item names aren't horribly abbreviated, little stuff like that.

I played BoF2 on the GBA and it's a great way to play it.

B.K.

I always wanted to get the European version of Final Fantasy IV: Advanace, since it wasn't a broken mess like the American and Japanese versions, but I never could find it anywhere that would ship to America.

Can't believe I found a copy of Mother 1+2 locally, so random just to see something like that here.

Between that and the Game Boy Light I picked up recently it made for an interesting import but acquired here haul. :D

baphomet

Woah no need to be so hostile in tone friend!
(or maybe im missing your emotional intent lol you tell me)
Yes like say 360, ps2, even ps1 games (that directly are labeled NTSC...) I simply refer to all NA games (yes including portable games) as NTSC its alot simpler to connote nationality of games/region derivation.

But Japanese games are also NTSC.

cafemomo

I always wanted to get the European version of Final Fantasy IV: Advanace, since it wasn't a broken mess like the American and Japanese versions, but I never could find it anywhere that would ship to America.

hm?

I think FFIV is fine as it is.

Rather play it on the GBA than my DS or PSP

Have any posters ITT taken the plunge on the stuff from Rose Colored Gaming? How's the quality? I would just love that original form factor GBA with the old school Game Boy color scheme. Back light, glass screen ... seems awesome. Steep price, though.

EDIT: Browsed the last few pages and it looks like some people are pretty happy with them. If anyone wants to catch me up on the consensus I'd be most grateful.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
As I've seen a few people talking and posting pics of flash carts, I was wondering if someone could tell me which one to buy for a person who LEGALLY paid for a Japanese copy of Mother 3 and now would like to play it in English, thank you very much Nintendo for never bringing it to the West. I have a huge collection of GBA games and don't really want to use the flash cart for anything else than to replace the Mother 3 JAP copy, but I've no idea which one to buy. Anyone can help (if they still sell these things?)

http://www.gbatemp.net has more info on these kind of things, but I believe the general consensus is that the EZ Flash IV is the best one.

D-e-f-

Banned
Really? Then my bad. Huh never knew that before. Thanks for letting me know.

I rescind my previous statement :p

NTSC-J vs NTSC-U/C (U for US, C for Maple Tree Land)

It's what caused me to buy a Japanese PS3 on eBay by accident. The seller had no clue there was a difference. I wanted a US model, got a Japanese one. Pissed.

Booter

I simply refer to all NA games (yes including portable games) as NTSC its alot simpler to connote nationality of games/region derivation.

This system makes no sense. NTSC/PAL refers to TV standards. Since portable games by their very nature don't use TVs, it makes 0 sense to refer to them in this manner. For your own sake, pls stahp.

Have any posters ITT taken the plunge on the stuff from Rose Colored Gaming? How's the quality? I would just love that original form factor GBA with the old school Game Boy color scheme. Back light, glass screen ... seems awesome. Steep price, though.

EDIT: Browsed the last few pages and it looks like some people are pretty happy with them. If anyone wants to catch me up on the consensus I'd be most grateful.
I hate it. Waste of money. Go back a few pages for my opinion on their gbc.

Jamix012

Ugh, I wanted to buy a Mother 3 GB Micro for my girlfriend for Christmas but Ebay seems to be $100 or so out of my price range...anywhere else selling them? :-/

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

I bought a milky pink GBA from them half a year ago or so. I like it a lot. There is some light bleed into the shell and the switch can be a tiny bit finicky, but I just set it on max brightness and forget it. I play on it more than my Micro and the form factor destroys the SP.

This system makes no sense. NTSC/PAL refers to TV standards. Since portable games by their very nature don't use TVs, it makes 0 sense to refer to them in this manner. For your own sake, pls stahp.

Look at spines.

5887d1228303461-kingdom-hearts-re-chain-memories-ps2-ntsc-cover-kingdom-hearts-re-chain-memories.jpg

3509d1190409088-halo-3-scan-ntsc-halo-3.jpg

RivenTheSequelToMystPS1BackCover.jpg

Just saying its easy to get confused (or it was for me when i saw ntsc/pal everywhere on boxes growing up) I understand it wouldn't apply to portables but (like i said literally a few posts above your cherry picking) its my bad. Sorry wont do it again....video games yeah.

We should technically be referring to NA games as region 1 anyways

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Game Boy game releases have a certain code assigned to them depending on where it is being sold. The packaging could be different as well as the actual content regarding the language which you can encounter.

There's USA, CAN, KOR, ASI, HKG, JPN, and then there's a gazillion European codes. Interestingly enough you'll notice colored triangles on the spine of GC, DS, 3DS, Wii/U game cases which are unique for each different European release.

For Game Boy games it's important to know what you're actually buying. I once bought the NOE release of The Sword of Hope II which only has German text. Derp!

USA - USA, general North American release.
CAN - Canada
KOR - South Korea
ASI - Asia
HKG - Hong Kong
JPN - Japan

EUR - General European release. Usually with English/German/French language and a few others.
EUR1T2
EXP
UXP
EUU
NEU5
FHUG
UKV - United Kingdom
NOE - Nintendo of Europe/Germany
FRA - France
FAH - France and Holland (Benelux/France release)
HOL - Holland
HUG - English+Dutch
ESP - Spain
POR - Portugal
PORT
EAP - Spain and Portugal
ITA - Italy
SCN - Scandinavia
SWE - Sweden
SWD - Sweden and Denmark
SWF - Sweden and Finland
AUS - Australia and New Zealand
EUB - English, French, Portugal
HAU - English, Luxemburg
GAU - English, Greece

Probably missing a few other regions as well (South America? South Africa? Middle East?).

Game Boy game releases have a certain code assigned to them depending on where it is being sold. The packaging could be different as well as the actual content regarding the language which you can encounter.

There's USA, CAN, KOR, ASI, HKG, JPN, and then there's a gazillion European codes. Interestingly enough you'll notice colored triangles on the spine of GC, DS, 3DS, Wii/U game cases which are unique for each different European release.

For Game Boy games it's important to know what you're actually buying. I once bought the NOE release of The Sword of Hope II which only has German text. Derp!

USA - USA, general North American release.
CAN - Canada
KOR - South Korea
ASI - Asia
HKG - Hong Kong
JPN - Japan

EUR - General European release. Usually with English/German/French language and a few others.
EUR1T2
EXP
UXP
EUU
NEU5
FHUG
UKV - United Kingdom
NOE - Nintendo of Europe/Germany
FRA - France
FAH - France and Holland (Benelux/France release)
HOL - Holland
HUG - English+Dutch
ESP - Spain
POR - Portugal
PORT
EAP - Spain and Portugal
ITA - Italy
SCN - Scandinavia
SWE - Sweden
SWD - Sweden and Denmark
SWF - Sweden and Finland
AUS - Australia and New Zealand
EUB - English, French, Portugal
HAU - English, Luxemburg
GAU - English, Greece

Probably missing a few other regions as well (South America? South Africa? Middle East?).

Alright alright yet again I concede to my indomitable stubbornness/ ignorance. My apology! Thanks for clearing this up for me (various posters lol) wasn't trying to be combative in the slightest just relatively new to collecting (4 months at most now) and wasn't aware of the true NTSC(or lack thereof)/region classification system. Misconceptions from life long assumptions= bad who would have thought :)

Thanks again for clarifying this like plc said earlier, I'm sure others are confused on this as well hopefully this helps them as it did me.

Really sorry for cluttering up the thread everyone!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I recently bought a few GBA games and I've been thinking about getting replacement boxes for the GBA games I have from my childhood that I threw out/lost. I'm probably never going to sell any of them, it's just to put them on my shelf to look nice and make it easier to find each game.

Where can I get DS style boxes that hold GBA games conveniently? The only case that I could find that looked decent was this and there's a strip of plastic that makes it impossible to close with GBA games without cutting it out, which is supposed to be tricky to do. Does anyone know of any decent alternatives?

Is there any specific program I should use to print the covers, or should I just use something like Microsoft Paint? When printing out covers, which type of paper should I use?

I have no idea about most of this other than the basics of spotting counterfeits, so any help would be useful.

I bought a milky pink GBA from them half a year ago or so. I like it a lot. There is some light bleed into the shell and the switch can be a tiny bit finicky, but I just set it on max brightness and forget it. I play on it more than my Micro and the form factor destroys the SP.
Yeah, the form factor is the thing. Add the back light and it's golden. Just want to make sure the build quality is solid. Seems like a lot could go wrong by tearing down and rebuilding ...

That OG Game Boy color scheme on the GBA shell is just so damn sexy.

maxcriden

Hey all, I was going to put this in the B/S/T thread, but thought I should offer here first. Does anyone want a Glacier GBA? I think it's missing the battery back. In good shape otherwise. I realized I have it laying around but don't need it because I play all of my GBA games on my DS Lite. Feel free to PM me.

What is widely considered to be rarest/most expensive GBA game?

A random question but I'm curious. When it comes to other systems its easy to point out expensive rares like Panzer Dragoon or Suikoden II but I cant think of a singular title that comes to mind for the GBA though there absolutely must be.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What is widely considered to be rarest/most expensive GBA game?

A random question but I'm curious. When it comes to other systems its easy to point out expensive rares like Panzer Dragoon or Suikoden II but I cant think of a singular title that comes to mind for the GBA though there absolutely must be.

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2009/07/most-expensive-gameboy-advance-game.html
http://www.rarityguide.com/gba_view.php

Basically Worms Blast, Ninja Five-O, Doom II, Medabots: Metabee (Gold). Nothing really that super rare or super expensive, although I can see Ninja Five-O quickly rising in price.

Old, related thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495555

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2009/07/most-expensive-gameboy-advance-game.html
http://www.rarityguide.com/gba_view.php

Basically Worms Blast, Ninja Five-O, Doom II, Medabots: Metabee (Gold). Nothing really that super rare or super expensive, although I can see Ninja Five-O quickly rising in price.

Old, related thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495555

Thanks i should have checked price charting first duh :p

Huh, surprising, nothing too unbelievably pricy (as compared to ridiculous inflation's of other system libraries)

Except Ninja Five-O...

What even is this lol? Is it good enough justify anything near that price haha

Thanks i should have checked price charting first duh :p

Huh, surprising, nothing too unbelievably pricy (as compared to ridiculous inflation's of other system libraries)

Except Ninja Five-O...

What even is this lol? Is it good enough justify anything near that price haha

Ninja Five-O is an action game that takes tropes and mechanics from a bunch of old games like Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, and Bionic Commando. Even though it's derivative, it's a great game on its own, and easily one of the best original action games on GBA. Even so, I can't really justify the price it goes for regularly, lol.

lupinko

I recently was able to pick up two GBA SPs from craigslist as well as Pokemon LeafGreen/Ruby/Emerald.

Oh man, where has the SP been all my life, I should have upgraded from my OG GBA (which I lost during a move :( ).

pikablu

I heard they made them much easier, and the originals werent really difficult either, so that is a bummer imo.

I wonder this too, did anybody play it?

Also, I have never really collected Game Boy-games, what would you people recommend?

I played it bought it day 1, never beat it though. I think I liked the snes version better but its pretty close although the names (as it was actually localized officially) are all different.

I recently started playing Breath of Fire on GBA. Wow that game looks gorgeous. Love how the sprites of the bosses move.

maxcriden

Also, I have never really collected Game Boy-games, what would you people recommend?

I recently played Metroid II for the first time and it holds up pretty excellently. SML is a bizarre cousin of a regular Mario game, but SML2: 6 Golden Coins is solid and SML3: Wario Land is a lot of fun and holds up very well.

Top Bottom