• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Zalman

Also, I have never really collected Game Boy-games, what would you people recommend?
Original Game Boy? Well, get both Super Mario Land games as well as the Wario Land games and you're off to a great start. Pokémon is also a must have. Some of the Mega Man games are pretty good (especially IV and V.) There's also Kirby's Dream Land and Donkey Kong '94. Game & Watch Gallery is a fun little series too.

Lots of stuff.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I recently played Metroid II for the first time and it holds up pretty excellently. SML is a bizarre cousin of a regular Mario game, but SML2: 6 Golden Coins is solid and SML3: Wario Land is a lot of fun and holds up very well.

Thanks! I actually own and have beaten all these, SML2 is excellent, the others pretty mediocre imo. anything else?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Original Game Boy? Well, get both Super Mario Land games as well as the Wario Land games and you're off to a great start. Pokémon is also a must have. Some of the Mega Man games are pretty good (especially IV and V.) There's also Kirby's Dream Land and Donkey Kong '94. Game & Watch Gallery is a fun little series too.

Lots of stuff.

Thanks! Guess i have that kirby and dk94 too. dk in particular is great! Will definitely look for pokemon,and mega man, which gen1 pokemon is considered best? Yellow is pika and red is charizard right?

maxcriden

Thanks! I actually own and have beaten all these, SML2 is excellent, the others pretty mediocre imo. anything else?

NP. Metroid II was my first real Metroid experience so I'm a bit biased admittedly as it's the game that finally got me into the series.

Kirby's Dream Land is fun as Zalman said although on the easy side overall IIRC. I last played it when I was like 6, though. Let's see...Kirby's Pinball/Blockball were really good if you're into that kind of thing. Castlevania II there isn't much to. If you're into Pokemon I got a lot out of the original Red/Yellow versions when they first came out. I'm only recommending GB games, though, there are plenty more GBC and tons more GBA to recommend. Also, you've probably played it but Link's Awakening is great. I'll try to think of more!

Thanks! Guess i have that kirby and dk94 too. dk in particular is great! Will definitely look for pokemon,and mega man, which gen1 pokemon is considered best? Yellow is pika and red is charizard right?

Yellow's fun because Pikachu is a bit more centric and kind of follows you around. It's cute. I played Red first, though. Both are great, just depends how much of a Pikafan you are.

Zalman

Yellow is considered the definitive version of gen 1. If you only want to get one of them, get that.

Yellow feels like a silly romhack of R/B to make it more like the cartoon show. Which I guess is exactly what it is, lol. Still, it's the only way to get all 3 starters if you're playing by yourself, so I recommend it.

Zalman

Also, one more tip if you want the Mega Man games. Some of them are incredibly expensive if you're looking for the English versions so you should look for the Japanese ones instead. You'll save a lot of money. They're the exact same game, basically the only difference being the title screen. They're called Rockman World over there.

maxcriden

Also, one more tip if you want the Mega Man games. Some of them are incredibly expensive if you're looking for the English versions so you should look for the Japanese ones instead. You'll save a lot of money. They're the exact same game, basically the only difference being the title screen. They're called Rockman World over there.

The glorious days of no region locking....

Ninja Five-O is an action game that takes tropes and mechanics from a bunch of old games like Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, and Bionic Commando. Even though it's derivative, it's a great game on its own, and easily one of the best original action games on GBA. Even so, I can't really justify the price it goes for regularly, lol.

That's why I'm glad I got mine about a month ago from my store complete in box for $9.99 :D

cafemomo

just picked these up. Already have FFV, but I could always use another copy
$3 each and FFV is real
DgG5fXw.jpg
sooo lucky

rCIZZLE

I recently was able to pick up two GBA SPs from craigslist as well as Pokemon LeafGreen/Ruby/Emerald.

Oh man, where has the SP been all my life, I should have upgraded from my OG GBA (which I lost during a move :( ).

SP is still my favorite console/handheld design ever. Just no complaints at all. No more batteries, no more stupid snake lights, no worrying about the screen while in my pocket, etc.

baphomet

Yeah, I've been handheld gaming in stereo since Game Boy and only Wonderswan and GBA SP made me use some kind of external adapter to use headphones.

Wonderswan doesnt have a standard headphone jack? I just ordered a color system and didnt know this. I hate that a nonstandard headphone jack was ever a thing.

I'm always late to the party when Micro faceplates are available.

Anyway, which Advance Wars game for the GBA is considered the best? I never got a chance to experience the series when they first came out, I've heard it be universally praised and the gameplay looks interesting.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wonder this too, did anybody play it?

Also, I have never really collected Game Boy-games, what would you people recommend?

Re: ToP - I own it but I have no clue ...only played it a bit. I think I remember reading that the sound has been SEVERELY downgraded from the SNES version (moreso than in other ports)?

As for Game Boy games: Metal Gear Solid (aka Metal Gear Ghost Babel), Metroid II - Return of Samus, Donkey Kong (DK94), and of course the Zelda games. Good place to start I think though those are obvious choices. Was there ever a standalone release for Tetris?

Also: I recently found out that they put out the GB(C?) ports of the first three Dragon Quest games in the US!

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2009/07/most-expensive-gameboy-advance-game.html
http://www.rarityguide.com/gba_view.php

Basically Worms Blast, Ninja Five-O, Doom II, Medabots: Metabee (Gold). Nothing really that super rare or super expensive, although I can see Ninja Five-O quickly rising in price.

Old, related thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495555

So glad I bought Ninja Five-O plus manual a few years ago for $30-ish :D

That's why I'm glad I got mine about a month ago from my store complete in box for $9.99 :D

THE FUCK!!! =O

Ninja Five-O is an action game that takes tropes and mechanics from a bunch of old games like Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, and Bionic Commando. Even though it's derivative, it's a great game on its own, and easily one of the best original action games on GBA. Even so, I can't really justify the price it goes for regularly, lol.

Yeah I cant magine ever fronting such a hefty sum for any game though that bionic commando/shinobi hybrid idea sounds hype. Also I like Konami's other GBA offerings, the Castlevania trilogy are easily some of the top 20 games on the system.

will still try on emulators :)

cafemomo

Dude, where! So tricky on Ebay, gotta watch out for those boots.
Disc Replay. Pretty sure it was a pricing error on their behalf.

Yeah I stopped getting GBA games on eBay because of fake carts. But for some reason though, I kinda want to start collecting bootlegs for novelty purposes.

Grief.exe

You can always email people have have them post proof that the cart is legit. Just tell them to upload pictures of the common trouble spots.

coopolon

You can always email people have have them post proof that the cart is legit. Just tell them to upload pictures of the common trouble spots.

The fakes are getting pretty good. I recently got a pokemon emerald that I could not tell was fake from the outside. The sticker was holographic, fonts and seals were all correct, plastic was right, it had the nintendo writing on the bottom of the board when you looked into it from the open end, etc.

Once you opened it up it was obviously a fake. I guess since the plastic on emerald is kind of transparent so if I had thought about it I could have seen the battery was in the wrong place by looking through it so in that way you could tell from the outisde.

But most games aren't transparent.

From here on out I probably would not buy any games on ebay that the seller couldn't send me a picture of the the board inside.

Anyway, which Advance Wars game for the GBA is considered the best? I never got a chance to experience the series when they first came out, I've heard it be universally praised and the gameplay looks interesting.
You can't go wrong with either so whichever you can your hands on.

I think the first game has the better tutorial (it is a separate campaign, but if you want to skip it you can do straight to the last mission not recommended though as it really nails the basics) but in the single player campaign you only have 3 playable COs (who determine unit strengths and weaknesses) for the large part though you can use the other COs in multiplayer and the war room (single map skirmishes against the AI).

The second game ends up integrating the tutorial into early missions which slows the pace a bit. You get to play with COs from the 4 coloured factions though and there is a world map to select missions from (so if you are stuck on one mission you can try out another). The balance is better (it is mainly small tweaks) and there are more COs, war room and mulltiplayer maps.

maxcriden

Man, I had no idea GBA fakes were so ubiquitous. That's too bad. I've had pretty good luck getting used games on Amazon at good prices, no fakes so far...

cafemomo

Man, I had no idea GBA fakes were so ubiquitous. That's too bad. I've had pretty good luck getting used games on Amazon at good prices, no fakes so far...
In my experience, a majority of the fakes I got were from eBay. Amazon on the other hand has been mixed.

B.K.

How is Tales of Phantasia for the GBA?

It's considered to be the worst version of the game. Play it only if you don't have any other choice. I'm waiting for the fan translation of the PSP version, since it's supposed to be the best version of Phantasia.

Fake carts are everywhere. They're on Ebay, at mom and pop game stores, and even Gamestop used to sell fake carts. Some games are bootlegged more than others. I don't think I've ever seen legitimate used copies of the Final Fantasy games, even at Gamestop.

maxcriden

In my experience, a majority of the fakes I got were from eBay. Amazon on the other hand has been mixed.

Fake carts are everywhere. They're on Ebay, at mom and pop game stores, and even Gamestop used to sell fake carts. Some games are bootlegged more than others. I don't think I've ever seen legitimate used copies of the Final Fantasy games, even at Gamestop.

That's really too bad. I have gotten a couple of buggy carts (with freezes) but nothing totally broken as of yet, I don't think.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I just started buying GBA games from eBay. Shit, now I'm going to worry about if they're real carts or not until I actually have them in my hands.

It's considered to be the worst version of the game. Play it only if you don't have any other choice. I'm waiting for the fan translation of the PSP version, since it's supposed to be the best version of Phantasia.

I already bought it, CIB, for around $20. Might still play it and then play the PSP version at a later time anyway.

Rich!

Just in case anyone missed this when it was posted months ago in a Mother thread:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=29892

Basically, there's a program called gbamusripper. Essentially, it rips the music from a GBA ROM in midi format, and puts together a soundfont using the instrument samples. What's so special about that, you wonder?

Sound quality not possible on the GBA. You finally get to hear the music without the distortion and hissing caused by the GBA's processor compressing the samples. It's amazing - you just need to set up the plugin correctly. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikE5CSr6-4

Top Bottom