• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

cafemomo

Shantae and Metal Gear boxed :O

I definitely will. I used to have a copy like it but I lost it when my family moved to my current house, along with my copy of SMB Deluxe and Survival Kids.

btw, out of curiosity, how much did you drop for Tales?

Looking a boxed one right now one eBay for about 20 bux

Grief.exe

I know this is a long shot but does any one have this shelf or something similar? I've been trying to find it for a week but to no avail.
GBACollection1.jpg

Need to find a higher resolution shot of this.

Rich!

This thread made me recheck my gba games, it seems I have one fake, baldurs gate. There are no widespread GBC/GB fakes right?

GB/GBC fakes are easy to spot because of the shoddy cart housing.

but as always, if in doubt open it up. just one of the many reasons everyone should have a set of gamebit screwdrivers.

I finally got around to installing this GBA SP front light in my GBC. Got it all installed, soldered nicely and put back together. It lit up perfectly, but the light panel is a pile of shit. It's not transparent so it's essentially useless for the purpose >_>

This is what it looks like on.

Can't find any other places that sell replacement front lights, so I guess I'll just have to stay on the look out for a cheap/broken GBA SP to rip that apart.

Rich!

I finally got around to installing this GBA SP front light in my GBC. Got it all installed, soldered nicely and put back together. It lit up perfectly, but the light panel is a pile of shit. It's not transparent so it's essentially useless for the purpose >_>

Can't find any other places that sell replacement front lights, so I guess I'll just have to stay on the look out for a cheap/broken GBA SP to rip that apart.

Silly question, but did you remove the screen film?

I didn't know where else to post this...

I have a download code for Oracle of Seasons I got when purchasing ALBW from BestBuy. I already grabbed Seasons and Ages when they first released. Anyone want it?

PM me.

Satisfied with the GBA? I'm just about to pull the trigger on one from ferrerhk myself.

I could have sworn I noticed a very light flicker on the screen while playing Metal Gear but I haven't seen it since on that or any other game so it could have just been my eyes playing tricks on me. Also, the replacement shell that he uses doesn't have a nice "click" when the battery cover is inserted, it stays in there fine but it doesn't feel as nice as the original.

Overall though I'm really happy with the system, I'd forgotten how nice the original GBA feels in my hands and the screen looks great.

Velcro Fly

Think I'm going to hunt down legit copies of DKC 1-3. Fairly sure my local Disc Replay has them and probably for a decent price.

Teknoman

Good shoot em up / STG recommendations for the GB - GBA?

Excluding R-Type DX since thats just R-type 1 (right?).

Thinking about Nemesis and Gradius Galaxies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Good shoot em up / STG recommendations for the GB - GBA?

Excluding R-Type DX since thats just R-type 1 (right?).

Thinking about Nemesis and Gradius Galaxies.

Don't remember if R-Type III is a bad port on GBA. Galaxies is awesome and I truly regret selling it back in the day, there's also Steel Empire (port of the old Megadrive's horizontal stg) if you liked that one.
Never liked Iridium 3D (I enjoyed Nanostray 1&2 on DS tho).

Don't remember if R-Type III is a bad port on GBA. Galaxies is awesome and I truly regret selling it back in the day, there's also Steel Empire (port of the old Megadrive's horizontal stg) if you liked that one.
Never liked Iridium 3D (I enjoyed Nanostray 1&2 on DS tho).

R-Type III is indeed a bad port. The developers of the port had to redo the game from scratch because Irem didn't give them any of the original code, or something like that, and didn't quite get it right. Iridion 3D isn't that great, but that isn't a shmup, it's a rail shooter. Iridion II is a pretty good game, though -- that one is a shmup, and it's a huge improvement over the first Iridion game. And yeah, Gradius Galaxies is good.

baphomet

Something looks very wrong with that. This is how mine looks.

Peagles

Did you put it the right way up? There's two different sides to the frontlight if I recall correctly, one rough and one smooth. I forget which side goes up, but maybe try flip it over?

cafemomo

Think I'm going to hunt down legit copies of DKC 1-3. Fairly sure my local Disc Replay has them and probably for a decent price.

My Disc Replay is a hit and miss when it comes to GB/GBA games. For example

FFIV - $9
FF Tactics - $11
Emerald - $45
LoZ LA DX - $30~
very #rare very #exclusive Mario NES classic - $35

Velcro Fly

My Disc Replay is a hit and miss when it comes to GB/GBA games. For example

FFIV - $9
FF Tactics - $11
Emerald - $45
LoZ LA DX - $30~
very #rare very #exclusive Mario NES classic - $35

The one nearest me only has a massive markup on anything Japanese or anything CiB

Did you put it the right way up? There's two different sides to the frontlight if I recall correctly, one rough and one smooth. I forget which side goes up, but maybe try flip it over?

Yeah, tried it both ways, as many orientations as I could but no dice.

Something looks very wrong with that. This is how mine looks.

Yours looks quite nice, exactly what I was hoping for. Where'd you get your panel from?

After installing, i went back to the alibaba store page I bought mine from only to find this...

Friendly Notice:
The Panel is NOT very Transparent,please check carefully before ordering!!!

baphomet

Mine was straight out of a gba sp ags-001. Be very careful with touching them as theyre impossible to get cleaned if you get a fingerprint on there. I just picked up a broken one for basically nothing and tried it out. Its by no means perfect, but if you want to play them on a gbc its probably the best way to go. Mine is orientated sideways because its too long to fit normally. That causes some wavy lines from some viewing angles. Ive read you can cut it to fit horizontally and it fixes that.

I should have taken pics of all the game boys/GBC and GBA/GBA SP's i had, i recently gave about 4 away to cousins in Peru and then sold 4 on ebay(not counting the ones i've sold in the past few years) and now i have about 10+ systems

I can't help buying them when i can find them for $3-$5 at yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores haha

hoarder mode B^)

coopolon

Woh, two ebay buyers that I purchased fake pokemon games from just got removed from ebay and all their items delisted. In both cases I complained to ebay about them selling bootleg copies. One of them had been a member since 2009 and had over 800 positive feedback (the other was new, just since June and with only ~30 feedback).

I wonder if its because I complained? I checked other sellers who I was watching their items which I'm pretty sure were fake and they are still selling bootleg games.

Guess it's good to know ebay does follow up on this stuff. ebay's a terrible place to buy gba games from unless you can get seller to send verification game is authentic, but if you do get ripped off, definitely complain about it. I got full refunds for both games of course.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Woh, two ebay buyers that I purchased fake pokemon games from just got removed from ebay and all their items delisted. In both cases I complained to ebay about them selling bootleg copies. One of them had been a member since 2009 and had over 800 positive feedback (the other was new, just since June and with only ~30 feedback).

I wonder if its because I complained? I checked other sellers who I was watching their items which I'm pretty sure were fake and they are still selling bootleg games.

Guess it's good to know ebay does follow up on this stuff. ebay's a terrible place to buy gba games from unless you can get seller to send verification game is authentic, but if you do get ripped off, definitely complain about it. I got full refunds for both games of course.

I reported this guy a few days ago - http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Final-Fantas...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c26bf066&_uhb=1

So I'm subscribing to this thread because I want to find either a gb micro or GBA sp and get some of the games I sold over the years to play again.
I would prefer a micro but I know they are hard to come by these days.

My preference isn't collecting so boxes and condition don't matter as much as being able to play the games, which is what I'm most concerned with.

Grief.exe

So I'm subscribing to this thread because I want to find either a gb micro or GBA sp and get some of the games I sold over the years to play again.
I would prefer a micro but I know they are hard to come by these days.

My preference isn't collecting so boxes and condition don't matter as much as being able to play the games, which is what I'm most concerned with.

Craigslist should be your first stop, seriously.

I found so many of my most-wanted items on Craigslist for cheap.

If you are looking for an SP, then you want the SP-101 model. It has the backlit screen. The only way to tell if the model is 101 is by looking at the back of the device, have people send you pictures.

If you are looking for an SP, then you want the SP-101 model. It has the backlit screen. The only way to tell if the model is 101 is by looking at the back of the device, have people send you pictures.

Thank you! Already I feel empowered to rebuild.

meanspartan

I had gotten the GB pictured below on goodwill auction for only $20. (Forgive the grime on it, I hadn't cleaned it yet at the time)

What drew me to it was not the unit itself, but the box, which is in near-mint condition. It even had Tetris inside and a link cable, but no headphones so I am one piece short from the complete set lol.

Also pictured is my old copy of Pokemon Blue, best handheld game of all time. To me.
4EvLAaE.jpg

Anyone know if the box in good condition adds anything to the value? If not, that's cool, I'm still glad I got it.

ppl in SF are well to informed on CL :( asking $100 for PSP's and GBA's...

TnK

I want to buy aria of sorrow complete from ebay, but why is it so expensive? It is almost 70$ in price...

Turns out that all of my GBA games were fake. The carts stopped saving. Really sad, as I had a great collection of GBA games.

I want to buy aria of sorrow complete from ebay, but why is it so expensive? It is almost 70$ in price...

Turns out that all of my GBA games were fake. The carts stopped saving. Really sad, as I had a great collection of GBA games.

Aria of Sorrow is godly and easily amongst the best (IMHO top 5) CV entries, thats why as I'm sure you know, still sucks though, I was able to get it for 30$ (still too much imo but worth it) . If you bid you can get a good price eventually on eBay, dont worry.
And man that's terrible to hear! But how is your entire collection fake and you just now learned this ? :(

TnK

Aria of Sorrow is godly and easily amongst the best (IMHO top 5) CV entries, thats why as I'm sure you know, still sucks though, I was able to get it for 30$ (still too much imo but worth it) . If you bid you can get a good price eventually on eBay, dont worry.
And man that's terrible to hear! But how is your entire collection fake and you just now learned this ? :(
I knew it was fake for a good amount of time now. I simply want to collect my favourite GBA games.
GBA games that I had (all fake):
1-MMZero 1-4
2-CV HoD and AoS
3-Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
4-Metal Slug Advance (really good game)
5-Tales of Phantasia
6-Fire Embelem (the second one)
7-Kingdom Hearts CoM
8-Mario World
9-Gunstar Super Heroes.
10-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and I-II

The non fake games I have now are:
1-Gunstar Super Heroes (a friend got me an original copy)
2- Drill Dozer

Thinking of it now, building the collection will be tough...

I knew it was fake for a good amount of time now. I simply want to collect my favourite GBA games.
GBA games that I had (all fake):
1-MMZero 1-4
2-CV HoD and AoS
3-Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
4-Metal Slug Advance (really good game)
5-Tales of Phantasia
6-Fire Embelem (the second one)
7-Kingdom Hearts CoM
8-Mario World
9-Gunstar Super Heroes.
10-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and I-II

The non fake games I have now are:
1-Gunstar Super Heroes (a friend got me an original copy)
2- Drill Dozer

Thinking of it now, building the collection will be tough...

Wow no kidding those are the cream of the crop GBA library...

Godspeed friend, godspeed.

plc268

To someone who isn't familiar with counterfeits, the low prices of games on ebay out of Hong Kong are very desirable, which is how these spread so much. It's also affecting the DS market as well, as fakes have been out for some time, and are, IMO, even harder to detect.

coopolon

To someone who isn't familiar with counterfeits, the low prices of games on ebay out of Hong Kong are very desirable, which is how these spread so much. It's also affecting the DS market as well, as fakes have been out for some time, and are, IMO, even harder to detect.

Do counterfeit DS games suffer from the same defects due to quality as GBA games? I.e. do they delete saves, lose saves when battery dies, etc.

meanspartan

I'd say it would. Great condition boxes usually add a good chunk to any system value.

Cool. Ya not looking to sell really just yet, I bought it for $20 on auction mostly just on a whim to have it, and I doubt even with the box in really good condition it is worth too much more than that.

Top Bottom