• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Post impressions once you get it, I wanna hear how their buttons are on their GBAs.

They replace the conductive rubber pads with new 3rd party ones. So they are a bit harder than Nintendo OEM pads, I would say Nintendo uses a softer rubber. It's a little different, but I got used to it after a few minutes, went through all of mother 3 and it has become my primary gba.

I do like that i never have to worry about a lithium battery dying on me, since AA's will continually be manufactured.

caved in and ordered a white gba from rose colored gaming this morning.

now i just need to start looking for some games. thankfully my local bookoff has been having a decent selection recently.
Please post impressions. I've read mixed reviews in this thread.

EDIT: That knockoff looks decent enough for $50. Especially since I have no GBA at all right now - even a vanilla one would cost $20-$30. Please post more detailed impressions after a while.

John Blade

Please post impressions. I've read mixed reviews in this thread.

EDIT: That knockoff looks decent enough for $50. Especially since I have no GBA at all right now - even a vanilla one would cost $20-$30. Please post more detailed impressions after a while.

Well...based on the time I use the system, here is few things I can say about it.

Plastic Case: The quality of the plastic is decent and doesn't feel too cheap on the hand.

Button: The A and B button feel find and work quite well when playing games on it. Same as the Left and Right control. The only minor issue I might have is maybe the Dpad. Can't say I hate it but they is something odd about it when I am playing some GBA games. I have a feeling is maybe I love the Dpad on the SP and micro as I play my GBA collection on them quite a bit. Don't think they is issue with most GBA games but if you're playing certain type like fighting game for example, might consider to play it on the SP.

Screen: Yup, it's the 101 screen and bright enough to play any GBA games. Work well, and don't have any complain about it....for now.

Battery life: because this GBA have a back light screen, the battery life for this feel shorter (using standard eneloop). Feel like I can use it for around 10-12 hours before I need to change the battery.

That's all I can say for now. If you have questions, do post here and I will try to respond those as much as I can.

Well...based on the time I use the system, here is few things I can say about it.

Plastic Case: The quality of the plastic is decent and doesn't feel too cheap on the hand.

Button: The A and B button feel find and work quite well when playing games on it. Same as the Left and Right control. The only minor issue I might have is maybe the Dpad. Can't say I hate it but they is something odd about it when I am playing some GBA games. I have a feeling is maybe I love the Dpad on the SP and micro as I play my GBA collection on them quite a bit. Don't think they is issue with most GBA games but if you're playing certain type like fighting game for example, might consider to play it on the SP.

Screen: Yup, it's the 101 screen and bright enough to play any GBA games. Work well, and don't have any complain about it....for now.

Battery life: because this GBA have a back light screen, the battery life for this feel shorter (using standard eneloop). Feel like I can use it for around 10-12 hours before I need to change the battery.

That's all I can say for now. If you have questions, do post here and I will try to respond those as much as I can.
Sounds great to me. I don't need some immaculate piece of kit. It just has to work.

Only reason I really want one from RCG is they have one with an old school Gameboy color scheme. So good

Grief.exe

I wish there was a way to make GBA boxes that are a similar size to the originals.

It just looks strange having the original boxes next to the DS boxes that I made.

Tablo

I really want a GBA Micro. Should have bought one when they were cheap. Don't even know if I would use it much though... Hmmm...

belushy

Banned
Found my sisters old SP :D No games though except for a Hamtaro game. It is actually kind of fun... Wish I could find my old Ruby or Sapphire copies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Do the bootleggers often sell Rhythm Tengoku?

I unfortunately seemed to have lost my old copy and so I need to buy a replacement. I need to know if I need to worry about bootlegs, especially since this isn't the kind of game I can really find locally.

smbu2000

Well...the alternative for the Rose colored game boy advance is those Chinese clone Gba with the 101 screen build in. I just got one for few weeks now and it's actually not that bad. Can't say how it compete with the Rose version but if you're on a budget (you can get one for $53 dollars from this link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/clas...me-boy-advance-backlit-screen/1363557722.html), this might be a cheaper alternative.
Interesting. How does the screen compare to a standard GBA SP screen?DS Lite as well if you have one.

I wonder if (how hard it would be) the screen can be easily transplanted from the Chinese one to a standard GBA?
I don't have a GBA at the moment (at my parent's house in the U.S.) only my SP and Micro.
I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap used GBA and the Chinese one and attempting the transplant if it's worth it.

TnK

Unrelated, but I picked up this CIB copy of the JP version about 4 years ago (from Yahoo Auctions JP) and it came with this really cool mini artbook. I'm guessing it was a pre-order bonus for the JP release, maybe? It also includes a little bit from Castlevania Chronicles as well as SotN.

a little sample from it:
That is really cool. I went through scans of this artbook in a year or so. Really good stuff in it.

How are Rose Colored Games GBAs?

baphomet

So as soon as Chinese new year is over I should be getting one of those cables to put an sp101 screen in an original GBA. What colors do you guys like the most on the original gbas? I would really like a white one or an orange one for this. If anyone has a spare you should hit me up

Grief.exe

what if you just print on sturdy card stock and folds them to the right dimensions

I assume that's what repro cases are

Sounds like something I would be interested in pursuing, I could just put the current DS cases inside the card stock.

Have any information on that?

Artorias

Banned
Hey guys, I've been buying a few games here and there and I had some questions I thought I'd ask here.

Are the Donkey Kong Country GBA ports decent? I'm sure the music took a hit but does the gameplay hold up? How about Donkey Kong Land and its sequels on GBC?

Does anyone know of any good Powerpuff Girls, Dexters Lab, or Spongebob games for GBA/GBC? It's tough to tell from videos sometimes and there are quite a few. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, I love many of Disneys GBC games because the animation is gorgeous. Any other cartoon game recommendations?

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey guys, I've been buying a few games here and there and I had some questions I thought I'd ask here.

Are the Donkey Kong Country GBA ports decent? I'm sure the music took a hit but does the gameplay hold up? How about Donkey Kong Land and its sequels on GBC?

Does anyone know of any good Powerpuff Girls, Dexters Lab, or Spongebob games for GBA/GBC? It's tough to tell from videos sometimes and there are quite a few. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, I love many of Disneys GBC games because the animation is gorgeous. Any other cartoon game recommendations?

I don't know why but I bought all the DK Land games when they came out, despite not really liking them

pikablu

I loved Donkey Kong Land 1 and 2. I played DKL3 for a short time and it was pretty good as well. They were very impressive games for the time.

-KRS-

I got this with the Famicom games I received in the mail today:
DSC_2674_crop.JPG

Daiku no Gen-san: Robot Teikoku no Yabou
Haven't played it much yet, but what I have played has been relentlessly hard lol. It doesn't seem to be as good as the NES/FC Hammerin' Harry/Daiku no Gen-san. Sometimes it's somewhat cheaply difficult. But it's still pretty fun and the graphics and music are top notch as expected.

Edit: Whoops I wrote the wrong title. I didn't know there were several GB Daiku no Gen-san games.

Teknoman

I got this with the Famicom games I received in the mail today:

Daiku no Gen-san: Robot Teikoku no Yabou
Haven't played it much yet, but what I have played has been relentlessly hard lol. It doesn't seem to be as good as the NES/FC Hammerin' Harry/Daiku no Gen-san. Sometimes it's somewhat cheaply difficult. But it's still pretty fun and the graphics and music are top notch as expected.

Edit: Whoops I wrote the wrong title. I didn't know there were several GB Daiku no Gen-san games.

Coincidentally, I was looking at some Hammering Harry videos the other day. How is the Famicom series, or is there one that stands out above the other? The SFC looks great, but some people have said its way too easy.

Rich!

sup

Coming soon. For those of you who have a baller collection of games (and/or an interest in translations and hacks), this everdrive will be a lifesaver. Funny how I will end up using my Everdrive 64 plus Transfer Pak to dump my GB/C games and saves for use in the Everdrive GB.

Grief.exe

Anyone know what the exact dimensions of the GB/GBC/GBA box are?

I'm looking to prototype a model in photoshop to print on cardstock.

-KRS-

Coincidentally, I was looking at some Hammering Harry videos the other day. How is the Famicom series, or is there one that stands out above the other? The SFC looks great, but some people have said its way too easy.

I've only played the NES Hammerin' Harry and now this one myself. Have to play more of the GB game but I can definitely recommend the first NES game. All the games in the series that I've looked at have seemed to be a bit on the simple side when it comes to level design and that includes the NES game, but the levels are at least pretty varied and interesting looking and the gameplay is good.

Regarding the second famicom game I read that it was developed by Micronics which is never a good sign.

-KRS-

A flashcart for the Game Boy. I'd like to know more about it though. Does it have a realtime clock? Oh and will it play nicely with a GB Pocket? The Pocket doesn't like the 64M USB Smartcard, maybe because it draws more power than regular carts. If this cartridge will work the Pocket without issues I'll probably pick it up when he releases it. Otherwise I'll probably wait a bit because the Smartcard works very well otherwise.

Rich!

Can you give me a quick synopsis on what an Everdrive GB is?

The Everdrive range is a set of flashcards for each retro console that use SD cards as storage. They're amazing. I have an Everdrive 64 and a Mega Everdrive.

A flashcart for the Game Boy. I'd like to know more about it though. Does it have a realtime clock? Oh and will it play nicely with a GB Pocket? The Pocket doesn't like the 64M USB Smartcard, maybe because it draws more power than regular carts. If this cartridge will work the Pocket without issues I'll probably pick it up when he releases it. Otherwise I'll probably wait a bit because the Smartcard works very well otherwise.

Krikzz has already confirmed on the forums that it will work with all models, including the SGB and Game Boy Player. Up to 32gb storage too, lol.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Everdrive range is a set of flashcards for each retro console that use SD cards as storage. They're amazing. I have an Everdrive 64 and a Mega Everdrive.

Krikzz has already confirmed on the forums that it will work with all models, including the SGB and Game Boy Player. Up to 32gb storage too, lol.

How are Everdrive carts compatible with roms?

I have a GbXchanger 64mega(bit) and a Genesis Flashcard that I can't use anymore: None of my computers have a serial port and, even if they did, I doubt I'd be able to find the drivers for them.

Are they 100% compatible? Do I need to do anything other than dump games on the SD Card?

TnK

My Circle of the Moon in "like new" condition has arrived. Too bad the sides received small amounts of scuff maarks and the box got squished a liiiiiiittle bit while being shipped. Stuff like this really annoys me when boxes get squished. The seller took proper precautions too, he put it in a larger box, and filled that box with foam to prevent damage.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Makes the search of like new condition useless. Might as well get "very good" if problems like this happens in transit.

@Grief: Want me to take the dimensions of my GBA games? Which region would you like, PAL or NTSC?

Peagles

My Circle of the Moon in "like new" condition has arrived. Too bad the sides received small amounts of scuff maarks and the box got squished a liiiiiiittle bit while being shipped. Stuff like this really annoys me when boxes get squished. The seller took proper precautions too, he put it in a larger box, and filled that box with foam to prevent damage.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Makes the search of like new condition useless. Might as well get "very good" if problems like this happens in transit.

Words cannot express how much this annoys me. It seems to happen to so many games I buy too. If they pack it well, I'm angry at the postal service. If they don't then I'm angry at the seller. It's mostly the seller's fault in my experience though to be honest. I bought Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and they used one thin layer of bubblewrap and then some brown paper around it, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Joni

Words cannot express how much this annoys me. It seems to happen to so many games I buy too. If they pack it well, I'm angry at the postal service. If they don't then I'm angry at the seller. It's mostly the seller's fault in my experience though to be honest. I bought Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and they used one thin layer of bubblewrap and then some brown paper around it, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
What is the best way to package something like Game Boy games?

Reclaimer

What is the best way to package something like Game Boy games?

Boxed games should get bubble wrap in a sturdy box that's a decent amount larger than the game box. That's what I pack any CIB games in, and never had any issues with the post office crushing them.

Top Bottom