• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Can anyone speak to the differences between a GBA SP 101 vs one of the Rose Colored Gaming Modded Original GBA units?

Does the RCG modded GBA have better screen quality at all than the 101?

I'm debating if I want to get one of those, or stick with my SP and just get a new battery for it.

I could probably sell the backlit SP for $60-70 and put it towards the RCG GBA.

I really like the form factor of the original GBA, and that's my main interest, but it would probably help put me over the fence if the screen quality is better, and I can just use normal rechargeable batteries.

Have any of you guys seen how hard it is to get GBA flashcarts these days? Nobody sells them anymore. I take about a 5 hour road trip to visit family a few times a year and I hate having to gather together my GBA carts in a big bulky case. I have a smaller flashcart I bought to play Mother 3's translation (and yes i own the original JPN version) but it only holds about 5 games. I do count myself lucky to have that flashcart though at all!

The Rose Colored GBAs literally have SP 101 screens in them. They're the same quality; the ghosting issue in the 101 is still present.

I bought an EZ Flash 4 recently. It was hard to find, but http://www.realhotstuff.com/ still sells them at reasonable prices. Just make sure to find a Mini-SD card adapter.

The Rose Colored GBAs literally have SP 101 screens in them. They're the same quality; the ghosting issue in the 101 is still present.

I bought an EZ Flash 4 recently. It was hard to find, but http://www.realhotstuff.com/ still sells them at reasonable prices. Just make sure to find a Mini-SD card adapter.

I got an EZ Flash from the same place about 6 months ago, seemed like a risky purchase but arrived pretty quickly.
I found the software a little clunky, but workable.

Grief.exe

Its a slightly larger screen so you lose some of the pixel density, but they replace it with glass which makes it much more viewable.

Thanks guys, i'll stick with the SP for now and get a new battery +EZ Flash IV instead. I had no idea they were still available. I think i bought my original flash cart from there!

Kainazzo

Just preordered the screen replacement and glass plate from RC. It says the GBA SP had a normal and bright setting, how is this done when placed in an original model?

I love "upgrading" handhelds/consoles, or finding ways to correct old issues, and I've only ever owned a non backlit GBA. Were it not for this thread I would've never known about Rose Colored. Are there any other sites like it around?

Josh7289

zbBdIbgl.jpg

My god, is this what Japanese Game Boy Pocket system boxes looked like?

I swear, if I ever collect anything Game Boy related, it'll be solely Japanese stuff. Even the game boxes are just fantastic. I love the compactness of them.

-KRS-

My god, is this what Japanese Game Boy Pocket system boxes looked like?

I swear, if I ever collect anything Game Boy related, it'll be solely Japanese stuff. Even the game boxes are just fantastic. I love the compactness of them.

I've seen other designs as well if I'm not mistaken (might not have been a Pocket), but yes that's how they look. I was so close to buying a pink GBP CIB even though I already have three GBPs, because both the console and the box looked really neat.

One problem with Japanese boxes, at least for the games, is that different games can have different sized boxes. So it's kinda hard to find box protectors for them that fits. Same goes for Famicom boxes which are even more varied in size.

Is there anyone that sells a good GBA game holder anymore?

I was looking for something like a foam-lined box with lots of slots in it, but the only stuff I've found so far are individual plastic game boxes or cases that only hold a few.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyone that sells a good GBA game holder anymore?

I was looking for something like a foam-lined box with lots of slots in it, but the only stuff I've found so far are individual plastic game boxes or cases that only hold a few.

Your best bet would probably be modding a foam-lined box or perhaps a binder.

Slermy

I've always been a big fan of those cloth ones Pelican made for GameStop years ago, but those are incredibly hard to find, and don't quite sound like what you're looking for.

Expanding on the suggestion above, I know they make blocks of foam with pre-cut segments that you can rip out to fit different sizes. It's big in the tabletop miniature scene. You might look into buying some of that.

sackferret

Neo Member
FoIrjhO.jpg

Bought one of these beauties off my friend for $20 AUD. It's in good nick, one of the plastic tabs that connect the faceplate to the Micro is broken, but it's not even noticeable unless you take the actual plate off. Doesn't have a charger, but I just bought a third party one online for a few bucks.

Damn, that backlight's good. The SP AGS-101 never made it to Australia, and I don't really want to get a DS Lite, so this thing's perfect. It's so portable, so I'm definitely bring it around from now on.

^ Nice find!

I found a guy locally selling an AGS-101 for $100 with what appear to be a pile of pirate carts + broken Pokemon Yellow. Kinda tempted since that's about the price that 101's go for on eBay.

leroidys

Oh, well I'm gonna have to get it since I'm trying to buy all of Treasure's games :p

Here are my games:

The one wiped out by the flash is Superstar Saga. Imports are Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, Mother 3 (well this one's box is in English so I don't know why I said that), Rhythm Heaven, and Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest.

Oh, and I also have this game which wasn't by my other games when I took that first photo:

For the Frog the Bell Tolls. It's really good. I recommend importing it and checking out the English patch.

This was posted almost a year ago now but, holy shit, that's some good stuff.

inner-G

Banned
^ Nice find!

I found a guy locally selling an AGS-101 for $100 with what appear to be a pile of pirate carts + broken Pokemon Yellow. Kinda tempted since that's about the price that 101's go for on eBay.
That's just their asking price. Most of the completed eBay listings for 101's are under $50 for used systems.

sackferret

Neo Member
^ Nice find!

Thanks, :)

Micros go for about $80 AUD on eBay here, so I'm pretty stoked to get one for so cheap.

Good luck with getting the AGS-101. $100 seems like a lot, but I'm not really sure how difficult they are to find in the rest of the world.

Thanks, :)

Micro's go for about $80 AUD on eBay here, so I'm pretty stoked to get one for so cheap.

Good luck with getting the AGS-101. $100 seems like a lot, but I'm not really sure how difficult they are to find in the rest of the world.

I'm in Australia too, and to my knowledge the AGS-101 never got a release here. The one I've found has an asian AC adapter so the guy must have imported it.

Think I'll just keep an eye on eBay though, after stopping for a moment and having inner-G mention it, $100 does seem like a bit much.

sackferret

Neo Member
I'm in Australia too, and to my knowledge the AGS-101 never got a release here. The one I've found has an asian AC adapter so the guy must have imported it.

Think I'll just keep an eye on eBay though, after stopping for a moment and having inner-G mention it, $100 does seem like a bit much.

You're probably better waiting for another deal, because $100 is a bit too much for a Game Boy. If it included some decent genuine games it might be all right, but if they're pirated I don't think it's worth it.

I'd like to get one myself one day, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay the money it's going to cost to import.

I'm looking into getting an SP (as if I needed another system...) - any recommendations for the headphone adapter? I see a couple of different models on Amazon, not sure if one is better than another. Did Nintendo ever release an official one? Thanks - this is a great thread for information, learned a ton.

sackferret

Neo Member
I'm looking into getting an SP (as if I needed another system...) - any recommendations for the headphone adapter? I see a couple of different models on Amazon, not sure if one is better than another. Did Nintendo ever release an official one? Thanks - this is a great thread for information, learned a ton.

I know Nintendo did release an official one, but I'm not sure if it's still available.

John Blade

Yup, Nintendo do release one out during the GBA SP lifespan.
ninten05.jpg

You might find them on ebay but you won't able to buy it from official Nintendo website. I own one and never really use it as I have a GBA micro and if I do want to listen to the music, I play it there.

Het_Nkik

Got the rest of my eBay haul in (clicky for part 1):

BfLS5fBCQAA2_qN.jpg

That makes 18 GB/C/A purchases in January which... really isn't going to help me in the Backlog Challenge thread.

EDIT: I also want to buy a backlit OG Game Boy Advance, mostly just to play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble. Around $100 seems to be the going price on eBay. Any place to get 'em cheaper?

D-e-f-

Banned
Got the rest of my eBay haul in (clicky for part 1):

BfLS5fBCQAA2_qN.jpg

That makes 18 GB/C/A purchases in January which... really isn't going to help me in the Backlog Challenge thread.

EDIT: I also want to buy a backlit OG Game Boy Advance, mostly just to play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble. Around $100 seems to be the going price on eBay. Any place to get 'em cheaper?

How do you make sure beforehand that you're buying originals and not fakes?

Yup, Nintendo do release one out during the GBA SP lifespan.
ninten05.jpg

You might find them on ebay but you won't able to buy it from official Nintendo website. I own one and never really use it as I have a GBA micro and if I do want to listen to the music, I play it there.

I had one it was great, got stolen i wish i could find a another one...

Het_Nkik

How do you make sure beforehand that you're buying originals and not fakes?

I've never come across a complete in box GB/C/A fake auction (that wasn't Pokemon), so that weeds out 99% of fakes right there. Nintendo published GBA games made after November 2003 are easy because I make sure they include the My Nintendo (which became Club Nintendo) registration slip. And otherwise I just make sure the sellers have good feedback and pictures.

In all my years of eBaying I've only purchased one fake item, which was a Cowboy Bebop DVD set, and that was over 10 years ago. I learned very quickly what to avoid after that.

FoIrjhO.jpg

Bought one of these beauties off my friend for $20 AUD. It's in good nick, one of the plastic tabs that connect the faceplate to the Micro is broken, but it's not even noticeable unless you take the actual plate off. Doesn't have a charger, but I just bought a third party one online for a few bucks.

Damn, that backlight's good. The SP AGS-101 never made it to Australia, and I don't really want to get a DS Lite, so this thing's perfect. It's so portable, so I'm definitely bring it around from now on.

A collector I know of claims that the AGS-101 was in Australia. Heres a video he made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRT4Of3fDk

Some Craigslist pickups!
Got two CIB classic Pokemon games I have an unhealthy amount of nostalgia for. I remember playing Ruby and being incredulously difficult when I got to the Elite 4 having an utterly under leveled party nearly all Ko'd save for a daycare trained Geodude employing a last hurrah of self-destruct barely seizing victory. Good times.

PKMNRampLF_zps017fdd38.jpg

Peagles

I've never come across a complete in box GB/C/A fake auction (that wasn't Pokemon), so that weeds out 99% of fakes right there. GBA games made after November 2003 are easy because I make sure they include the My Nintendo (which became Club Nintendo) registration slip. And otherwise I just make sure the sellers have good feedback and pictures.

In all my years of eBaying I've only purchased one fake item, which was a Cowboy Bebop DVD set, and that was over 10 years ago. I learned very quickly what to avoid after that.

I should post pics of my fake CIB FFVI Advance. It's pretty hilarious.

TnK

Finally managed to organize everything in one place. If only I had proper shelves for it all.
Snagged Kirby Pinball for like $5 recently.
Awesome collection dude. This collection makes me really sad. I had a good chunk of these games, too bad all of them were fake. Rebuilding that collection now. Hopefully by 2 years time, I'll have all my old games again CIB.

I have an M3 Perfect. What is the difference between that, and an EZFlash IV?

EDIT:
Wanted to add: played on a game boy player and a CRT TV two days back, and I was surprised at how good it ran. I completely forgot how the thing runs on a CRT TV, and I have to say, it makes GBA games a lot more fun when played on TV. Only flaw in GBA games is the sound, the thing sounds distracting. Then again, the sound is the same if played on anything.

@peagles: Please do. I'd like to compare it to my fake CIB.

One of the best things gaming related that ever happened to me was when some gaffer (I forget your name, sorry!) gave me a famicom micro new in box for free. That was like five or six years ago. Still play it regularly. Thanks, gaffer!

One of the best things gaming related that ever happened to me was when some gaffer (I forget your name, sorry!) gave me a famicom micro new in box for free. That was like five or six years ago. Still play it regularly. Thanks, gaffer!

Maybe if you check your old PMs you might find the right person?

How can you guys find games CIB for so cheap D:

I gave up and collect cart only.

Small local shops and looking on ebay for games with misspelled titles or that are listed poorly.
Super sick collection!
Awesome collection dude. This collection makes me really sad. I had a good chunk of these games, too bad all of them were fake. Rebuilding that collection now. Hopefully by 2 years time, I'll have all my old games again CIB.

Thanks, I've been collecting them since i got my first gameboy in 92. I havent run into many fakes, the vast majority were from stores back in the day... recently i've resorted to ebay. But I think some of the stuff i'm looking for now is too obscure for someone to fake. And I'm only looking for cib online, loose stuff i can find locally.

tokaio

Neo Member
Seeing all those great collections here I feel like I don't have anything interesting to show, haha :p. It's a really great thread to find some not very popular titles that are worth checking out.

From my recent purchases:

Toys "R" Us limited Midnight Blue GBA. It might not be very rare over in the US, but here in Poland it sure is :p. I was pretty suprised to find it. And the color is really nice, I definitely prefer it to the standard Indigo.

I am still completely flabbergasted that the Micro became such a desirable system...vivid memories of local Wal-Marts with dozens of Famicom-style systems at $30 that no one wanted to touch.

TnK

I am still completely flabbergasted that the Micro became such a desirable system...vivid memories of local Wal-Marts with dozens of Famicom-style systems at $30 that no one wanted to touch.

Same here, never knew why people wanted it. I do regret not buying the famicom GBASP when I saw it in stores now. I went "I own a gameboy player, I don't need that system"

I would like to say, why is Aria of Sorrow SO EXPENSIVE to get CIB? On top of that, no decent CIBs can be found, and I only find European CIBs.

Top Bottom