• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

MadmanUK

What is the best way to package something like Game Boy games?

I've done a few different methods.

1. If the person isn't a collector and just wants cheap P&P then flat pack the box and use "DO NOT BEND" cardboard backed envelopes.

2. Buy appropriately sized small cardboard boxes off eBay and then bubble wrap the game boxes.

3. Find somewhere that sells cheap small Tupperware style plastic boxes (eBay or £1/99 cent shops sometimes have them). Bubble wrap the game boxes and put in the tupperware box. I then would put it in a jiffy bag for shipping.

Option 3 is the best one as small cardboard boxes can still get squished during shipping.

leroidys

Speaking of Japanese games, what are some must haves? I own a complete boxed edition of Rhythm heaven, and am looking to pick up Mother 3 at some point. I'm going to Japan this summer, what else should I be on the lookout for?

apricot

Speaking of Japanese games, what are some must haves? I own a complete boxed edition of Rhythm heaven, and am looking to pick up Mother 3 at some point. I'm going to Japan this summer, what else should I be on the lookout for?

Oooh, get yourself a copy of Tomato Adventure! I got it brand new in Osaka in June for only $15. Mr. Driller A is another awesome one that is super cheap.

Rich!

How are Everdrive carts compatible with roms?

I have a GbXchanger 64mega(bit) and a Genesis Flashcard that I can't use anymore: None of my computers have a serial port and, even if they did, I doubt I'd be able to find the drivers for them.

Are they 100% compatible? Do I need to do anything other than dump games on the SD Card?

100% compatible. Just drag and drop to the SD. No extra software at all.

Worth every penny.

TnK

Words cannot express how much this annoys me. It seems to happen to so many games I buy too. If they pack it well, I'm angry at the postal service. If they don't then I'm angry at the seller. It's mostly the seller's fault in my experience though to be honest. I bought Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and they used one thin layer of bubblewrap and then some brown paper around it, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
Guess I am not the only one facing this. This happened to several CEs I ordered from Amazon too. Completely destroys their value. Now that I think about it by, why did the seller not wrap the box with bubble wrap? I have a feeling he may not have known that it may get damaged a bit in transit due to improper handling. I have also ordered Fusion and Zero mission in great condition, and I really hope nothing happens to them.

Also, since this is an appreciation thread, CotM has some really cool artwork on the box, and I also love the box's color scheme. What is the name of the artist? They only drew once for CV I believe. On the other hand, Fusion has some really bad artwork for its cover, lol.
NTSC

We will both take dimensions and compare our results.
Sure thing. Will post the dimensions at a later time today.

For people in PAL regions, were GBA games not shrink wrapped? I saw a lot of brand new Metroid Fusion carts from European sellers, but none of them was wrapped.

-KRS-

100% compatible. Just drag and drop to the SD. No extra software at all.

Worth every penny.

Has he said anything about price yet? I'm hoping it'll be a bit cheaper than the other Everdrives. The USB Smartcard is $40 so hopefully it'll be somewhere around there. There doesn't seem to be much more components on the Everdrive PCB other than the microSD slot which can't be that expensive.

And what was that about donor cart? I need to sacrifice one of my games? I assume just for the shell right?

For people in PAL regions, were GBA games not shrink wrapped? I saw a lot of brand new Metroid Fusion carts from European sellers, but none of them was wrapped.

Hmm, I seem to remember my Zelda: Minish Cap being shrink wrapped although it was a while ago that I bought it so I might be wrong. That's the only GBA game I have.

TnK

Hmm, I seem to remember my Zelda: Minish Cap being shrink wrapped although it was a while ago that I bought it so I might be wrong. That's the only GBA game I have.
First leme fix something, should be "none of them were wrapped". Man I really need to proof read my posts =/
Apparently Italian PAL GBA games are not wrapped then? Italian Nintendo games, as I experienced with Tingle DS game, has this gold sticker in the back. I saw several PAL GBA games with the same sticker, including Metroid Fusion. The sellers were from Italy too.
NTSC

We will both take dimensions and compare our results.
I measured the CotM box I recieved and Drill Dozer that I have and here are the results:
12.4x12.4x2.3 in cm. I did not get exact results in inches.

Rich!

Has he said anything about price yet? I'm hoping it'll be a bit cheaper than the other Everdrives. The USB Smartcard is $40 so hopefully it'll be somewhere around there. There doesn't seem to be much more components on the Everdrive PCB other than the microSD slot which can't be that expensive.

And what was that about donor cart? I need to sacrifice one of my games? I assume just for the shell right?

I don't know about USA prices, but I would expect it to be no more than £40 (Everdrive 64 is £100). As for the donor cart - it depends on if you buy just the PCB (cheaper) or a pre-made everdrive cart (more expensive). If you buy a PCB, you just need to unscrew an existing cart and swap the innards round, chisiling out a space for the SD card.

Here's my Mega Everdrive, which I ordered as just a PCB. The cart case used to be Sonic 1, and I designed and printed the label myself:

jiqE05imE6Pw0.jpg

And this is my Everdrive 64, which I ordered already pre-made:

It depends entirely on 1. if you want to be creative and 2. if you're a cheapass.

-KRS-

I don't know about USA prices, but I would expect it to be no more than £40 (Everdrive 64 is £100). As for the donor cart - it depends on if you buy just the PCB (cheaper) or a pre-made everdrive cart (more expensive). If you buy a PCB, you just need to unscrew an existing cart and swap the innards round, chisiling out a space for the SD card.

Here's my Mega Everdrive, which I ordered as just a PCB. The cart case used to be Sonic 1, and I designed and printed the label myself:

And this is my Everdrive 64, which I ordered already pre-made:

It depends entirely on 1. if you want to be creative and 2. if you're a cheapass.

Ah I see. I'll probably order it with a pre-made cart. I'm not creative and I don't have any spare carts lying around either. :p And £40 sounds very reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

Also that Mega Everdrive label looks sweet as hell.

Gunsmithx

Last week I got a pretty decent haul. Finally got an ags-101 like I've wanted forever, picked up some gbc games I've wanted to play and finally got the castlevania doublepack for a pretty good price.

Carlisle

How are GBC battery saves holding up for everyone? I wanted to avoid shelling out for one of those save transfer devices, but I've got so much great progress I'd hate to lose on a lot of games. Not to mention I'm nearing the end of my DW3 playthrough and every time I boot it up I have a small heart attack until I see my save load. I feel like it'll go any second.

tokaio

Neo Member
Last week I got a pretty decent haul. Finally got an ags-101 like I've wanted forever, picked up some gbc games I've wanted to play and finally got the castlevania doublepack for a pretty good price.

I love AGS-101 in that color. If I'll ever find the brighter edition for a decent price it will be either that one or Surf Blue. Nice pickup!

Unfortunately that Castlevania cart is a bootleg.

Gunsmithx

I love AGS-101 in that color. If I'll ever find the brighter edition for a decent price it will be either that one or Surf Blue. Nice pickup!

Unfortunately that Castlevania cart is a bootleg.

Are you sure? Since I got it off criagslist I was worried but everything I can find says it's right, label is right, correct esrb rating and the product code is right, says nintendo above the pins.. seems to pass every test I can find.

tokaio

Neo Member
Why do you say that?

The "T" in the ESRB rating should be thicker. The plastic arc above the Game Boy Advance logo (which probably is terrible quality too) is too short. It should go to the sides of the label:

a8omN4b.jpg

If I could see the cartridge closer I think I could find a few more spots that give out a fake.

Edit:

says nintendo above the pins.. seems to pass every test I can find.

There are carts with a Nintendo logo above the pins which are fake. I've seen a few of those.

How are GBC battery saves holding up for everyone? I wanted to avoid shelling out for one of those save transfer devices, but I've got so much great progress I'd hate to lose on a lot of games. Not to mention I'm nearing the end of my DW3 playthrough and every time I boot it up I have a small heart attack until I see my save load. I feel like it'll go any second.

Only saves not working any more were my Pokemon saves. Gold & Silver I can see since it uses a real time clock and the battery should go faster because of that, but my Red & Blue saves were gone too. Everything else was still working, the oldest probably being Kirby's Dreamland 2 from 1997.

Replacing batteries isn't too hard though. I did it over the weekend for 18 carts, and it only took about an hour altogether. You can every keep the original saves by supplying +3V from another source than the battery.

Grief.exe

The "T" in the ESRB rating should be thicker. The plastic arc above the Game Boy Advance logo (which probably is terrible quality too) is too short. It should go to the sides of the label:

a8omN4b.jpg

If I could see the cartridge closer I think I could find a few more spots that give out a fake.

I've never heard of that particular tell, keep in mind that it could be an optical illusion caused by lighting on that picture.

Just look that the label is correct, the back is correct, and the pins. If all of those tells line up, than it is not a bootleg. He seemed to verify all of these points himself at POS.

There are carts with a Nintendo logo above the pins which are fake. I've seen a few of those.

With pins all in a line though?

I can't believe they would go through the effort of actually printing on the PCB.

Gunsmithx

a8omN4b.jpg

Edit:

your right about the arches.. darn it, missed that and the fact the T is a bit thin, sigh, thought I had gotten a legit copy.. oh well live and learn. Thanks for spotting that.

tokaio

Neo Member
your right about the arches.. darn it, missed that and the fact the T is a bit thin, sigh, thought I had gotten a legit copy.. oh well live and learn. Thanks for spotting that.

No problem. I was 99% sure when I saw the arch and the rating. Does the Nintendo text above the pins have a thin border around it?

Gunsmithx

I've never heard of that particular tell, keep in mind that it could be an optical illusion caused by lighting on that picture.

Just look that the label is correct, the back is correct, and the pins. If all of those tells line up, than it is not a bootleg. He seemed to verify all of these points himself at POS.

With pins all in a line though?

I can't believe they would go through the effort of actually printing on the PCB.

seems it is silightly off once I sat down and put it next to my other carts, I'm not used to looking for fakes(my first one!) so I guess I just thought it looked right.

Grief.exe

seems it is silightly off once I sat down and put it next to my other carts, I'm not used to looking for fakes(my first one!) so I guess I just thought it looked right.
If you suspect you have a pirated copy, just open the thing up and find out instantly.

Open it up and take some pictures please! I would love to see the inside of the cart.

If you don't have the appropriate tools, you can slightly warm the bottom of a pen and use that.

Gunsmithx

Open it up and take some pictures please! I would love to see the inside of the cart.

If you don't have the appropriate tools, you can slightly warm the bottom of a pen and use that.

My buddy has the tool, I'll see if I can grab it off him tonight or tomorrow and I'll post pics when I get around to it.

plc268

I don't look for the nintendo text anymore on the board. Counterfeiters just add those to the boards now, as it's insignificant.

Although, every fake I've seen yet, always has vias on the pins (they're the little holes on the pins in the pic below)

Grief.exe

I don't look for the nintendo text anymore on the board. Counterfeiters just add those to the boards now, as it's insignificant.

Although, every fake I've seen yet, always has vias on the pins (they're the little holes on the pins in the pic below)

If the bias aren't uniform across the top of the strip than that is a dead giveaway.

Grief, what were the GBA box dimensions that you found?

I haven't had a chance to check yet.

I will have some time tonight though.

-KRS-

Funny how I will end up using my Everdrive 64 plus Transfer Pak to dump my GB/C games and saves for use in the Everdrive GB.

By the way, is this some tool that is built into the Everdrive 64 menu? Or is it an executable I can run with any flashcart? I have a 64drive and I want to backup my GB saves somehow before the batteries die.

I preserved my GB saves with a combination of an Interact mega memory card and my GB Smart Card with USB. Glad to know my OG Pokemon RBY saves are forever preserved, lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I asked the question earlier in the thread, but didn't get a response. Do the bootleggers usually hit Japanese games like Rhythm Tengoku?

Rich!

By the way, is this some tool that is built into the Everdrive 64 menu? Or is it an executable I can run with any flashcart? I have a 64drive and I want to backup my GB saves somehow before the batteries die.

It's a homebrew app. I'll link it when I get home.

cafemomo

I asked the question earlier in the thread, but didn't get a response. Do the bootleggers usually hit Japanese games like Rhythm Tengoku?

Bootleggers usually hit the most popular games (Poke, Zelda, etc)

While there are some cases that they target the small games, it's usually very uncommon

-KRS-

I preserved my GB saves with a combination of an Interact mega memory card and my GB Smart Card with USB. Glad to know my OG Pokemon RBY saves are forever preserved, lol.

Yeah I recently read a comment that said that worked as well, but unfortunately I don't have one of those mega memory thingys. And yes it's mostly my Pokemon saves I'm concerned about haha. I have a Blue cartridge with all 151 pokemon on it that I catched and traded together myself back in the day. Well except Mew which I used that glitch to get. Would be a damn shame if that save disappeared.

And thanks in advance rich!

Het_Nkik

Grief were art thou? :(

Banned, lol.

I'll measure one of my boxes for you when I go home for lunch in a few minutes.

EDIT: Wait, are you the person who wanted box dimensions? What am I even doing. Going crazy. Grief wanted dimensions. Why can't I delete this whole post. The shame.

I remember these games were pretty great:

Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png

Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_2_Coverart.png
Yeah, the Summon Night: Swordcraft Story series is fantastic! I bought them both new back in '06-'07, and still am hoping that someday the third game gets a translation patch because they're great games. It's really too bad that Flight-Plan, the developer, went under... ah well. But at least there are these games, and they are great. The first game is my favorite action-RPG on the GBA, in fact. The later two (there's also a Japan-only third game) have better graphics, but I like the setting more in the first game, it feels more unique. Swordcraft Story 1 is set on a tower in the middle of the sea, and the dungeon is under the tower. You take a couple of trips to other places, but most of the game is set in the one town and the dungeon under it. It's really a unique setting for a fantasy game, and I loved that. I played it enough to not only beat the game, but finished all the optional dungeon exploring too (you beat the game like halfway through the dungeon); none of these are really long games, but it does show how much I liked it. The other two games are in more generic fantasy settings and aren't quite as original as a result. The female main character in the first game is better than the one in the second game, too. The first game is well-written and is pretty funny, as well. The second game's story was good as well, for sure, but I like the first game the best. It's often funny stuff. It's still a must-play game for action-RPG fans, though, and some people will like it more than the first game I'm sure. As for the third one, I have it, but it's in Japanese so even though there is a walkthrough on GameFAQs it's harder to follow the plot. Gameplay-wise, it's probably the most refined of the three, as you might expect.

The basic gameplay is the same in all three games, and they're all really, really good. They've got top-down exploration for towns and dungeons, random battles in the dungeons/fields (for the later two games that aren't only dungeons), and side-scrolling battles, sort of Tales-esque in that last respect. You make weapons, and have a bunch of different weapon types to make. So yeah, it's got a light crafting element, but fortunately it's simple enough to not be annoying even for someone like me who generally dislikes crafting. The variety of weapon types is great, considering that you've only ever got one playable character in each game (you choose gender, but never have other people to control). I'm not a fan of random battles, but the battle system is really great and a lot of fun, so it works out fine. The second game adds some voice samples and stuff during combat, which is nice.

Wasn't there some dating component in those Summon Knight games?

Yeah, at the end of each day (as determined by the plot) you choose a person to spend some time with, and at the end there are different endings for each character. Since you can choose your character's gender, but particularly in the first game they didn't change the script that much between genders, the result is that the female PC has multiple relationship options of either sex. There's less, but still some, of the same-sex stuff for the female PC in the second game. I'm not sure if the same is true in either game for the male character, though... never played as him. The second (and presumably third) games have more changes to the script between genders, but the relationship system is still fairly similar. All of the games are completely safe as far as the relationships go, of course -- even the endings generally only maybe hint at actual romance (it depends on which character it is) -- but it's nice to have something to add some replay value, if you want to see the other characters' endings. I mostly loved the games for the gameplay and writing, though, not the relationship element. And that gameplay and writing are great.

TnK

Bootleggers hit everything, even Japanese games. Just check the box quality, and you would know of it is fake.

I just missed out on a really good GBA collection from a seller. Had a lot of games I wanted on the GBA in very good condition. Sometimes, some things are not meant to be =(

Also, this game is incredible:
Gunstar_Super_Heroes_cover.jpg

Anyone that loves a good sidescroller action/platformer should check this game out. I love it a whole lore more compared to the original game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Bootleggers hit everything, even Japanese games. Just check the box quality, and you would know of it is fake.

Well I lost my old copy of Rhythm Tengoku. Still have the box, just need a replacement cart.

TnK

Well I lost my old copy of Rhythm Tengoku. Still have the box, just need a replacement cart.

Check the quality of the cart then. Look up at some pics online. Plus, if it is a bootleg, compare the plastic quality with your other GBA games. Usually the quality on the bootleg carts are crap, and there is a significant difference between original, and fake carts. Another difference is the print quality of the labels. Check those too.

I just missed out on a really good GBA collection from a seller. Had a lot of games I wanted on the GBA in very good condition. Sometimes, some things are not meant to be =(

Also, this game is incredible:
Gunstar_Super_Heroes_cover.jpg

Anyone that loves a good sidescroller action/platformer should check this game out. I love it a whole lore more compared to the original game.

GSH is a super great game and a graphical showpiece for the GBA hardware.

Top Bottom