• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Seeing all those great collections here I feel like I don't have anything interesting to show, haha :p. It's a really great thread to find some not very popular titles that are worth checking out.

From my recent purchases:

Toys "R" Us limited Midnight Blue GBA. It might not be very rare over in the US, but here in Poland it sure is :p. I was pretty suprised to find it. And the color is really nice, I definitely prefer it to the standard Indigo.
Nice pickup. The old GBA looks great in blue.

Grief.exe

I am still completely flabbergasted that the Micro became such a desirable system...vivid memories of local Wal-Marts with dozens of Famicom-style systems at $30 that no one wanted to touch.

Same here, never knew why people wanted it. I do regret not buying the famicom GBASP when I saw it in stores now. I went "I own a gameboy player, I don't need that system"

I would like to say, why is Aria of Sorrow SO EXPENSIVE to get CIB? On top of that, no decent CIBs can be found, and I only find European CIBs.

At the time, the DS had just come out. Why do we need this thing when we have the new system that plays GBA games as well.

Looking back, its one of the best ways to experience GBA games. The screen is smaller, making the IQ better, backlit, and has a 3.5mm jack out of the box.

Its hard to say which is the best way to experience GBA games as the DS Lite, GBA Micro, and SP-101 are all very solid choices, each with their own shortcomings. Even the original GBA has reared its head recently as the definitive model with the Rose-Colored mods.

IrishNinja

okay, fuck it - my attempts at a cheap GBA flashcart (for GC GBA player ugh why did i sell mine with my DS lite) have failed, Peagles sent me a few options months back but whatever the cheapest one that will actually ship a working product, i'm down. ive had an open order with some place waiting on parts from a chinese factory since last may.

Peagles

I would like to say, why is Aria of Sorrow SO EXPENSIVE to get CIB? On top of that, no decent CIBs can be found, and I only find European CIBs.

Because it's amazing!

Funny thing is, we are PAL here but I got US versions of AoS and HoD CIB locally. I got them both from the same seller for $100 NZD which I thought was god damned expensive at the time. What does Aria cost now?

Also Irish, I never used them myself but lots of gaffers have recommended realhotstuff in the past... They sell them for $40 and they actually ship them.

TnK

okay, fuck it - my attempts at a cheap GBA flashcart (for GC GBA player ugh why did i sell mine with my DS lite) have failed, Peagles sent me a few options months back but whatever the cheapest one that will actually ship a working product, i'm down. ive had an open order with some place waiting on parts from a chinese factory since last may.
Your post makes me happy that I invested to buy an M3 Perfect back in 2007-2008 knowing that I may use it for my GB Player in the future. Like Peagles said, realhotstuff has EZ Flash IV on sale for $40. I heard it is an excellent flash cart.
Because it's amazing!

Funny thing is, we are PAL here but I got US versions of AoS and HoD CIB locally. I got them both from the same seller for $100 NZD which I thought was god damned expensive at the time. What does Aria cost now?

Also Irish, I never used them myself but lots of gaffers have recommended realhotstuff in the past... They sell them for $40 and they actually ship them.

It is amazing, I beat it twice, second time on my GB Player on the TV while finishing the game 100% with all the souls. That was all the way back in 2004 or 05 I think. My friend then borrowed my fake cart and lost it. So, not only I don't own the game, my fake game is also lost, lol.
The game can be found for really good condition at $67. There are no re-listings though.

I lucked out on an Aria box for free as a GS clerk was throwing it out.

I was like, "uh can I have that?"

He gave me a stange look and obliged.

Rich!

Gamestop has probably thrown out so much awesome stuff over the years.

I remember when GameStation in the UK was bought out from GAME. First thing they ordered was a mass recall of all of the retro stock which was then sent to a distribution center to be destroyed. All of it.

TnK

just get a UK copy. Not like it's region locked or anything.
Guess I'll be doing that.

Why was he trying to throw it out, also, when was this?

$20 for CIB Advance Wars 1 worth it?

I don't own the cart and want to play it again.
I think it is. Last I checked, it was around that range. Is the box in good condition?

I remember when GameStation in the UK was bought out from GAME. First thing they ordered was a mass recall of all of the retro stock which was then sent to a distribution center to be destroyed. All of it.
.......why would they do that?

TnK

Did it come with manual and everything, plus condition?

EDIT: just saw your edit, and I guess it answers my question. Answers being yes, and excellent.

Rich!

.......why would they do that?

The same reason why Currys/PC World recently destroyed the majority of their 360/PS3/Wii stock.

It's cheaper than attempting to shift it and potentially wasting space that can be used for other purposes.

Grief.exe

The same reason why Currys/PC World recently destroyed the majority of their 360/PS3/Wii stock.

It's cheaper than attempting to shift it and potentially wasting space that can be used for other purposes.

Its strange that they can't ship it to one or two of their larger stores in the region and just assign that store as a retro store. Then, if people are interested, they can travel to those specific locations for their needs.

If the stores have the potential stock room in the back, then the shipping costs would be a wash between the two methods. With not having to pay for their destruction and the potential profits you could make over the long term leans favorably to this method.

Just with corporate operations, cutting through the red tape and getting that organized probably proved to be too difficult.

Disgusting practice for a corporation that deals in the medium. You would think that they would have enthusiasts higher up in the respective organizations, obviously this is not the case.

koopas

I got a gba gamecube disc (the disc required to boot the gba on the gc) that way. Looked at me like ...why do you want this...

koopas

I imported a micro from god knows where ebay (germany?) to replace one i sold back when they came out - i had the red famicom one back in the day.

This model (silver, brushed metal) has backlit start and select buttons which I don't remember any of the NA models having. The shoulder buttons are clear also and are very 'clicky'.

Are these features standard to the micro?

Het_Nkik

Here's an update of my entire GB/C/A collection. I can still think of plenty more games I want so not done yet.

J4pFpEu.jpg

I don't know if I should organize the Wario Land games immediately after the Mario Land games or not.

I imported a micro from god knows where ebay (germany?) to replace one i sold back when they came out - i had the red famicom one back in the day.

This model (silver, brushed metal) has backlit start and select buttons which I don't remember any of the NA models having. The shoulder buttons are clear also and are very 'clicky'.

Are these features standard to the micro?

The light up buttons are, they also turn red when the battery is low. Us shoulders were silver.

I got one (EZ Flash IV) from realhotstuff, arrived reasonably quickly and brand new. Recommend them.

Tye utility to get ROMs onto the cart is a little old but works fine.

Here's an update of my entire GB/C/A collection. I can still think of plenty more games I want so not done yet.

I don't know if I should organize the Wario Land games immediately after the Mario Land games or not.

Beautiful collection!

But I'm guessing those are original boxes and not protected cases right?

idk about your guys experience but stacking games like that deteriorates boxes/compress them. I'm Just scared for your gem of a collection!

Grief.exe

Beautiful collection!

idk about your guys experience but stacking games like that deteriorates boxes/compress them. I'm Just scared for your gem of a collection!

It looks like he has some kind of case around all of them.

TnK

What are the hard protective cases called? I want to order them.

@Het: Did you buy Shantae the day it released, or later on?

Grizzo

Man, the Game Boy was such a huge part of my growing up years. GBA remains my favorite handheld system ever. Here's my humble collection!

Game Boy / Game Boy Color:

(I'm sorry for all of you who have OCD, but it's only after I took all these pictures that I realized the Mickey Racing Adventure box was sideways)

Game Boy Advance:

It's funny how each and every single one of these box remind me of a time in my childhood.

Oh and I still buy GBA game in loose (I don't bother buying them CIB since it would be more expensive). Here are all my systems and carts:

Het_Nkik

Beautiful collection!

Each one's in its own box protector so they should be okay. Any malformed boxes in the pic (poor Link's Awakening DX) were like that long before they were stacked.

Unfortunately I have no other place to put the games. Space is at a premium.

What are the hard protective cases called? I want to order them.

@Het: Did you buy Shantae the day it released, or later on?

They're just "Game Boy box protectors." You can get them off eBay or a site called retroprotection. The plastic itself isn't super thick but the sides are rigid and feel fine for stacking. According to the seller they're made of archive-quality plastic with no chemicals that will damage the boxes no matter how long it's around them. I mostly bought them because there are silverfish in this house and they fucking eat boxes. Collector's worst nightmare.

I got Shantae a few years after it came out, but still before everybody gave a shit about it. I paid $60 for a brand new copy.

EDIT: To be clear, the box protectors are to prevent shelf wear and minor dings and such (you won't have to worry about denting in a corner if you drop a box onto a hard floor and such). They're not going to save your box from somebody stepping on it. They may lessen the damage, but they won't save them.

smbu2000

Same here, never knew why people wanted it. I do regret not buying the famicom GBASP when I saw it in stores now. I went "I own a gameboy player, I don't need that system"

Unrelated, but I picked up this CIB copy of the JP version about 4 years ago (from Yahoo Auctions JP) and it came with this really cool mini artbook. I'm guessing it was a pre-order bonus for the JP release, maybe? It also includes a little bit from Castlevania Chronicles as well as SotN.

a little sample from it:

Each one's in its own box protector so they should be okay. Any malformed boxes in the pic (poor Link's Awakening DX) were like that long before they were stacked.

Unfortunately I have no other place to put the games. Space is at a premium.

They're just "Game Boy box protectors." You can get them off eBay or a site called retroprotection. The plastic itself isn't super thick but the sides are rigid and feel fine for stacking. According to the seller they're made of archive-quality plastic with no chemicals that will damage the boxes no matter how long it's around them. I mostly bought them because there are silverfish in this house and they fucking eat boxes. Collector's worst nightmare.

I got Shantae a few years after it came out, but still before everybody gave a shit about it. I paid $60 for a brand new copy.

EDIT: To be clear, the box protectors are to prevent shelf wear and minor dings and such (you won't have to worry about denting in a corner if you drop a box onto a hard floor and such). They're not going to save your box from somebody stepping on it. They may lessen the damage, but they won't save them.

Good to know, I couldn't tell if they were safe or not ;) I understand the paucity or lack thereof space from my own experience #SFcityproblems

-KRS-

oh man, I forgot there was a GTA on the GBA

There was even one on the GBC! I didn't know about the GBA one though. It's actually kind of interesting when you think about it, that Rockstar has released a GTA game for every Nintendo handheld since the GBC. I wonder if they'll make one for the 3DS.

D-e-f-

Banned
What kind of A Link to the Past box is that? I've seen it on the web before but never in real life. Was it limited?

You heard of this place called Europe? :) Those are all Euro boxes obviously. You can easily tell by the absence of ESRB logos...

Grizzo

What kind of A Link to the Past box is that? I've seen it on the web before but never in real life. Was it limited?

You heard of this place called Europe? :) Those are all Euro boxes obviously. You can easily tell by the absence of ESRB logos...

Yeah, these are PAL games. What strikes me as weird is that even the US and European logos were different :

US:

elqjY4f.jpg

Euro :

9Ub97jx.jpg

oh man, I forgot there was a GTA on the GBA

There was even one on the GBC! I didn't know about the GBA one though. It's actually kind of interesting when you think about it, that Rockstar has released a GTA game for every Nintendo handheld since the GBC. I wonder if they'll make one for the 3DS.

Yeah, and even more surprising, GTA Advance is a good game ! It's like playing the first one on an handheld.

The GBC one looks alright too:

It reminds me of Driver, which I absolutely loved back in the days:

drivergbc_001-large.jpg

caved in and ordered a white gba from rose colored gaming this morning.

now i just need to start looking for some games. thankfully my local bookoff has been having a decent selection recently.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah, these are PAL games. What strikes me as weird is that even the US and European logos were different :

Yeah, and even more surprising, GTA Advance is a good game ! It's like playing the first one on an handheld.

The GBC one looks alright too:

It's so weird that the FIRST one is port of GTA2 (or actually, more of a demake) and the SECOND one is a port of GTA 1 lol

Grizzo

It's so weird that the FIRST one is port of GTA2 (or actually, more of a demake) and the SECOND one is a port of GTA 1 lol

Hahaha, how weird. The Advance one was supposed to be a port of GTA 3 but ended up being a prequel.

Also weird is that mention of a "free pager offer" on the box of the first game:

107486_med.jpg

caved in and ordered a white gba from rose colored gaming this morning.

now i just need to start looking for some games. thankfully my local bookoff has been having a decent selection recently.

Good choice! I've been meaning to get one for quite some time... but I already own two GBA SP (one of which being an AGS-101). I'm still pondering whether or not I'll buy one. Please tell us your opinion about it once you received it!

I was really considering getting one of those rose colored GBAs but my SP-101 works fine. Might as well save the money, get one if it ever dies or gets broken.

Top Bottom