• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Man, I just found the GBC version of Aladdin at a pawn shop, and its apparently based on the Genesis version? Now I have to get a GBA copy as well I guess, I had no idea that existed!

Funny how the Game Boy version is based on the Genesis game and the Game Gear one plays much more like the SNES one.

televator

more everdrive progress!

Damn, looks like I wasted money on that Super GB2. I wonder if he'll get around to FM audio on Mega Ever Drive after this.

Also, in those images posted previously, looks like RGB GBA destroys GBA player! :eek: Yet I wonder what settings were used on the GBA player...

Rich!

Damn, looks like I wasted money on that Super GB2. I wonder if he'll get around to FM audio on Mega Ever Drive after this.

What makes you say that? SGB2 is far superior to SGB1, and a much better choice if you choose to get the Everdrive GB when it's released

I don't think the speed issue is that much of an issue really. I don't think it affects the music enough to be an annoyance. Sure if you make a side-by-side comparison, of course you're gonna hear the difference. The only thing that's definitely noticeable to me without doing comparisons is when you have pitch-bend effects in your music. That effect sounds pretty wildly different on the Super Game Boy compared to my Pockets, although mostly only when it's a very dramatic pitch-bend.

Yeah I had trouble telling a difference even with the side-to-side difference.

Your both crazy. The second I heard the opening music to Link's Awakening on SGB1, I knew it sounded wrong.

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone have any experience with the GBAs sold by rosecoloredgaming.com? I'm tempted but they're a little pricy. How is the screen? How is the build quality in general? Are they worth the money?

John Blade

Does anyone have any experience with the GBAs sold by rosecoloredgaming.com? I'm tempted but they're a little pricy. How is the screen? How is the build quality in general? Are they worth the money?

Always heard good and bad things from Rose Colored Gaming. Can't say much as I never buy his stuff but from reading from other forum, it depend on your luck. I will post a link of other forum of people who buy his stuff and were disappointment for what they got.
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214405-neo-geo-pocket-color-collecting/

Rich!

clem84

Gold Member
Always heard good and bad things from Rose Colored Gaming. Can't say much as I never buy his stuff but from reading from other forum, it depend on your luck. I will post a link of other forum of people who buy his stuff and were disappointment for what they got.

Ok. I guess for the time being I'll stay away from them. I never knew that the AGS-101 screen had a lower refresh rate compared to the other models. Bummer.

Gameboy415

The Game Boy version is actually based on the NES port; The NES port is technically the one based off of the Genesis version.

Wow! I had no idea Aladdin was released on NES in Europe.
How did it compare to the 16-bit versions?

I'm still trying to track down a GBA version as well - it was one of a small handful of games I couldn't find back when Gamestop had their B2G2 free firesale on GBA games a few years ago (I managed to find like 50+ other games I wanted though, haha).

John Blade

Damn, I really wanted to get a Rose Colored Gaming GBA, because one of these days the battery for my AGS-101 is gonna die, and I really love playing on a GBA. Now I'm uncertain :(

Plus I always loved the first GBA model. It's a shame Nintendo never put backlit screens on these ones. I mean, look at that, it looks so glorious.

edit: On the other hand, I found somebody who's really happy about her RCG GBA on YouTube. And it does look great.

Like I say before, it depend on your luck. Not saying the guy is a fake and his quality of his work is subpar but they're few people who bought his stuff and the quality they're expecting isn't on par of what they thought they will be getting.

Also, if you don't want to pay the price of his item, they're those Chinese GBA with back light mod that you can get. I got one of them and they're not that bad at all and for a very low price.

Like I say before, it depend on your luck. Not saying the guy is a fake and his quality of his work is subpar but they're few people who bought his stuff and the quality they're expecting isn't on par of what they thought they will be getting.

Also, if you don't want to pay the price of his item, they're those Chinese GBA with back light mod that you can get. I got one of them and they're not that bad at all and for a very low price.

There are also ebay sellers offering AGB-001's modded with the AGS-101 screen. I bought one from this guy, who also installed it with a new shell and a scratchless screen for quite a bit less than rose colored. Really nice to get what feels like a brand new GBA for <$100.

F0pEJfO.jpg

Het_Nkik

There are also ebay sellers offering AGB-001's modded with the AGS-101 screen. I bought one from this guy, who also installed it with a new shell and a scratchless screen for quite a bit less than rose colored. Really nice to get what feels like a brand new GBA for <$100.

Nice. Thanks for the recommendation. Been wanting a backlit original Game Boy so I could play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble on something with a decent screen.

On an unrelated note, because of that favorite Ninja Turtles game thread, I went ahead and bought TMNT for GBA off Amazon. Third party seller fulfilled by Amazon. Supposedly new condition. This is what I received today (Sunday deliveries are pretty cool):

That's scotch tape UNDER the shrink wrap holding the elephant crushed box together. Jesus Christ.

plc268

looking at the owner's post in that thread, I retract my previous statement.

don't go anywhere near them. jesus.

Yea, and that picture of the modded GBC is why I said it's a terrible mod. You get these ugly patterns over the screen and it just doesn't look good.

As far as the 101's screen, yea, its refresh rate sucks. You'll see a fair amount of ghosting, but I'd rather have a bright colorful screen over one I can barely see.

But yea, Wiggy (the guy who runs rosecoloredgaming) has a stick up his ass most of the time. He's surrounded by people who do nothing but praise him on multiple forums, and when people have legitimate problems with him, he attacks the customer. He also frequently censors comments on his own site, because god forbid someone say anything bad about his $400+ (I forget the price) Zelda repro set.

clem84

Gold Member
Nice. Thanks for the recommendation. Been wanting a backlit original Game Boy so I could play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble on something with a decent screen.

On an unrelated note, because of that favorite Ninja Turtles game thread, I went ahead and bought TMNT for GBA off Amazon. Third party seller fulfilled by Amazon. Supposedly new condition. This is what I received today (Sunday deliveries are pretty cool):

That's scotch tape UNDER the shrink wrap holding the elephant crushed box together. Jesus Christ.
Dear god if you care about the condition of your game then send it back and ask for a refund pronto!

Het_Nkik

Dear god if you care about the condition of your game then send it back and ask for a refund pronto!

Trust me, after opening the package the first thing I did was hop on Amazon and fill out a return form. To see a game in that poor of condition being sold as new is enough to make a man weep.

Artorias

Banned
I just want to mention that I bought a GBA from Rose Colored and returned it a few days later for repairs. I still want it but honestly, what they sent me was shocking condition wise.

I hope they send me a decent one back, but my next one will be from a small seller on ebay who takes his/her time. I'm sure Rose Colored did great work when they were a smaller operation, but mine was slapped together with a motherboard that was clearly on its last legs, put together improperly and sent off without even testing the thing.

ouch.

making me nervous/anxious about getting my gba from them. can't wait to see which side of the coin i end up on.

I just want to mention that I bought a GBA from Rose Colored and returned it a few days later for repairs. I still want it but honestly, what they sent me was shocking condition wise.

I hope they send me a decent one back, but my next one will be from a small seller on ebay who takes his/her time. I'm sure Rose Colored did great work when they were a smaller operation, but mine was slapped together with a motherboard that was clearly on its last legs, put together improperly and sent off without even testing the thing.

out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait?

i placed my order about a week ago and i'm anxious to see what his work looks like first hand.

BMOFTW

I didn't see any post in th thread, so I want to know where I can see a list of the limited edition GBA that were available in USA

-KRS-

Good thing Nintendo finally learned their lesson with GCN and NDS. Their cardboard boxes weren't cutting it.

Yeah it was for the best. But I think an immaculate cardboard box looks much nicer than plastic cases. It's just a shame that ones in that condition are so expensive/the risk of damage in shipping is so high. Game Boy boxes in particular seem to be extra fragile.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
But I think an immaculate cardboard box looks much nicer than plastic cases.

When you're looking at an immaculate cardboard box, you aren't actually liking how it looks. You're just impressed that it's immaculate.

-KRS-

When you're looking at an immaculate cardboard box, you aren't actually liking how it looks. You're just impressed that it's immaculate.

Alright fair enough. An immaculate cardboard box is more impressive looking than an immaculate plastic case then! :p

What I meant was just that it feels special somehow to have a nice condition cardboard game box and I can't really say the same to plastic cases. One good thing about the plastic cases at least is that I don't really care if they don't look perfect, while every little scratch or shelfwear on a cardboard box makes me depressed to see.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright fair enough. An immaculate cardboard box is more impressive looking than an immaculate plastic case then! :p

What I meant was just that it feels special somehow to have a nice condition cardboard game box and I can't really say the same to plastic cases. One good thing about the plastic cases at least is that I don't really care if they don't look perfect, while every little scratch or shelfwear on a cardboard box makes me depressed to see.

That's kind of the point I was driving at. We know that cardboard boxes are fragile as all get out. That means that people who care are going to treat their boxes very gingerly and work hard to keep them in shape. So on some level, I think that the fact that you like cardboard boxes is more of an effort justification thing. An immaculate cardboard box is like a special flower, or something. But in terms of actual appearances, the difference is negligible.

lbk62

guys i have a rose colored gaming gba modded, and it just run perfectly, no problems at all, perfect colors, no ghosting, no nothing, maybe i got lucky but its in perfect shape and playing mother 3, i put some pics some pages ago.

I also have an earthbound zero nes cart, made by them, and i tested on my damn old nes, and it runs perfectly.

so i attached some pics.
btw i think, rose colored gaming was one man only production, as far i understand his bussines has grow so he have more people helping him, i had no problem with customer service and so on.

Earthbound cart
Earthbound two
gba from RCG + mother 3 (old photo)
gba from RCG screen

I only need 10 more GBA games until I have all the ones I want!

Breath of Fire
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Wario Land 4
Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3

Luckily most of them are under $15 with shipping, so it shouldn't take a lot of time to clean up. Aria of Sorrow is consistently the most expensive, and even that's only like $20.

There are a couple GBC games I'm tentatively looking at (Dragon Warrior I-III) but I don't think I'll get them. I'll hold out hope for a 3DS VC release

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
There are a couple GBC games I'm tentatively looking at (Dragon Warrior I-III) but I don't think I'll get them. I'll hold out hope for a 3DS VC release

With the current VC situation is for the 3DS, it's best you just start looking for those carts

Yeah, suppadoopa is right. I really doubt that DW I-III will ever go on the 3DS VC. Neither will Final Fantasy Legend I-III/SaGa games, or FF Adventure for that matter. We still haven't got the NES FF games in the West, so I doubt that we would get any other pre-SE SE offerings for a very long time.

With the current VC situation is for the 3DS, it's best you just start looking for those carts

Yeah, but then I have to weigh my actual desire for these games/their cost versus how much easier it would be to just wait and see.

On VC they'd be like.... $4. $5 max. Looking at used carts of Dragon Warrior III on Amazon, it's $20. Definitely out of my range.

I know it's not likely that they'll hit, but I don't have a TON of motivation to go seek them out at the same time.

cafemomo

I don't have a TON of motivation to go seek them out at the same time.

Ah I see.

It's a shame Nintendo is really lacking in their handheld VC department.

I can somewhat forgive em for the lack of GBA (outside of ambassador) VC, but c'mon nintendo, you shouldn't neglect GB/GBC titles.

Ah I see.

It's a shame Nintendo is really lacking in their handheld VC department.

I can somewhat forgive em for the lack of GBA (outside of ambassador) VC, but c'mon nintendo, you shouldn't neglect GB/GBC titles.

Thank you for confirming the prices!

Yeah. Obviously Nintendo doesn't have the license to put up all the GB/C games, but they should really offer assistance/put the pressure on publishers to get their games up. It's only in the best interests of everyone.

Of course, this relies on Nintendo speeding up up their release schedule, which is laughable

Artorias

Banned
Yea, I don't understand the lack of GBC games on VC. There are some seriously niche Game Gear RPGs, but the GB and GBC games are mostly obvious stuff. A lot of great games but not many RPGs or lesser known games. I haven't had a GB save battery burn out yet but I know its coming.

Also, not having the SGB colors for Metroid II on VC is ridiculous. I know its supposed to be a GB emulator but color improves that game more than any other GB game.

TnK

No, but I hate wayforward. Perhaps your mileage might vary.
Aw c'mon, every single game they brought out? They released some really good games btw. Shantae is a bit over rated though. The games that I have really enjoyed (that some hated):
- Contra 4.
- BloodRayne (Will never understand the hate for this game. It plays like MegaMan Zero with combos. Somewhat similar to Muramasa, but with old school castlevania linear levels).
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why Did You Steal Our Garbage (This is biased, because I am a huge adventure time fan).
- Double Dragon Neon.
It gets really, really tiresome toward the middle and never gets more exciting. If you really like the formula you'll do well. But again, YMMV
I will try it first then. May buy after liking it.

I only need 10 more GBA games until I have all the ones I want!

Breath of Fire
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Wario Land 4
Yoshi&#8217;s Island: Super Mario Advance 3

Luckily most of them are under $15 with shipping, so it shouldn't take a lot of time to clean up. Aria of Sorrow is consistently the most expensive, and even that's only like $20.

How is Aria of Sorrow $20? I recently bought AoS CIB for $95 from a member here. Unless you are buying carts only?
For the other games that are SNES ports, why not buy them for the SNES? The GBA sound quality is utter garbage, lol. Even though it brought some of the best CV themes out there.

I heard that there may be a GBA EverDrive. Is this true?

Artorias

Banned
Revelations looks very cool, though I only just started it. I was surprised to see it actually has custom backgrounds for SGB. Or 1 at least, I didn't walk around to see if there were more.

BTW, is there a thread for NGPC? I've searched but didn't see anything. The library is small but that's probably my favorite handheld to collect stuff for.

Top Bottom