• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Revelations looks very cool, though I only just started it. I was surprised to see it actually has custom backgrounds for SGB. Or 1 at least, I didn't walk around to see if there were more.

BTW, is there a thread for NGPC? I've searched but didn't see anything. The library is small but that's probably my favorite handheld to collect stuff for.

No NGPC thread I fear. IMO that has the best quality ratio of any platform ever. Almost everything in that library is worth playing. Not to mention the fantastic microswitch joystick.

Rich!

got my GBC today, the one with the after-market shell.

it's shit.

it's not the same as in the photos, the power switch is stiff and shit, the buttons are crap, the screen is mis-aligned, the plastic at the top is coming apart, the IR port is non functional/blocked off, the battery cover rattles, the battery indicator light leaks onto the screen and the screen lens is fucking scratched.

not happy.

And worse of all, I cannot get a refund. I somehow managed to pay for it as a guest, which means I cannot open a dispute via ebay, and paypal won't let me open one unless I have a payment reference - which I don't have!!

sigh. put it on ebay for sale now with the issues noted. Gonna make a loss. ah well. I'll buy a proper one next time.

Peagles

it's shit.

it's not the same as in the photos, the power switch is stiff and shit, the buttons are crap, the screen is mis-aligned, the plastic at the top is coming apart, the IR port is non functional/blocked off, the battery cover rattles, the battery indicator light leaks onto the screen and the screen lens is fucking scratched.

not happy.

And worse of all, I cannot get a refund. I somehow managed to pay for it as a guest, which means I cannot open a dispute via ebay, and paypal won't let me open one unless I have a payment reference - which I don't have!!

sigh. put it on ebay for sale now with the issues noted. Gonna make a loss. ah well. I'll buy a proper one next time.

Where did you buy it? PM if you aren't keen to publicly badmouth.

tokaio

Neo Member

it's shit.

Yeah those are pretty poor quality. I don't like the GBA SP aftermarket shells, they feel really cheap and the hinge doesn't work with the "click" known from the original.

A few latest GB/GBC additions:
m6XlSpC.jpg

X0P2kJH.jpg

4oMiC8r.jpg

TnK

$95 seems really high. Looking at my e-mail logs I bought a CIB copy on 05/07/2013 for $46.

Got it brand new.

it's shit.

not happy.

I think you may have bought a bootleg GBC. I remember those things existed back in the day.

TnK

...I think you need to reread my post.

EDIT: I knew it was an aftermarket shell.

Good thing it is an aftermarket shell then, and not a bootleg GBC. Stuff you mentioned about the condition of the GBC made me wonder if it was bootleg or not. The description matches the typical condition of bootleg GBCs.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered FFVA on ebay. Hope it's legit!

This is THE version of FF V to play, right?

TnK

Just ordered FFVA on ebay. Hope it's legit!

This is THE version of FF V to play, right?
Yes. Unless you own a SNES and buy a flashcart with a good fan translation, or a reproduction cart with said translation.

It hurts me how the FF soundtracks took a hit in quality on GBA, but I suppose you can't go wrong otherwise.
How does FFVI's new translation fare against the SNES version? I only finished the SNES ones on the PSX (both V and VI).

-KRS-

Ah shit that sucks. My condolences. At least it's a pretty common game. Would've sucked extra hard if it was a really rare game or something.

TnK

How do I unfold the game protector case? They came in flat, and I have no idea how to unfold them perfectly.

-KRS-

How do I unfold the game protector case? They came in flat, and I have no idea how to unfold them perfectly.

Do you mean the box protectors or universal game cases? I've never bought UGCs but if you mean the box protectors you simply fold them where the creases are.

TnK

Do you mean the box protectors or universal game cases? I've never bought UGCs but if you mean the box protectors you simply fold them where the creases are.

Yep, worked. Thanks =D

These things are amazing. They hide some of the flaws in the boxes I have. For example, the CotM that was a tad crushed, doesn't look crushed anymore. Feels good mayn.

FUN FACT: I have never played a single Pokemon game as a kid. Even when all the kids had GBs and GBCs. My first handheld was the GBA.

Leonsito

My old friend DMG-001 was having sound issues, the speaker didn't output any sound, and the headphones sound was totally screwed.

I managed to grab a Gameboy with the screen desoldered for 6€, the rest of the parts are pretty much intact, I made some tests and I may have to replace the back pcb, so I took both of them out, it's nice to see the differences between them:

John Blade

Do anybody know a good site that sell GBA cart case in bulk. Was wondering of buying around 100 units for my GBA collection but don't know where I should start looking.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just sayin this thread is brilliant, I love looking at everyone's collections. Some years ago I went on a collector's frenzy and got Pokemon Crystal boxed, Dragon Warrior 3, all the Warios, Doom and Doom 2 off the bay, PC is practically perfect but DW3 is just cart+case+poster

Het_Nkik

There are also ebay sellers offering AGB-001's modded with the AGS-101 screen. I bought one from this guy, who also installed it with a new shell and a scratchless screen for quite a bit less than rose colored. Really nice to get what feels like a brand new GBA for <$100.

Fucking loooooooooool, Went to buy one right now from that seller and... well, just look:

c3r8eKG.jpg

Yeah, pretty sure California sales tax isn't more than the item itself.

Also pretty sure you can't charge CA sales tax when it says you're selling out of Hong Kong.

-KRS-

Yep, worked. Thanks =D

These things are amazing. They hide some of the flaws in the boxes I have. For example, the CotM that was a tad crushed, doesn't look crushed anymore. Feels good mayn.

FUN FACT: I have never played a single Pokemon game as a kid. Even when all the kids had GBs and GBCs. My first handheld was the GBA.

This is one of the biggest reasons I had to get those protectors for all my NES, SNES and N64 boxes. It just looks great. Even when the box is minty they make it look even better. At first I only bought a few of them, but as soon as I had put boxes inside them I just had to get protectors for all my boxes. Still don't have any for my GB boxes, although I only have like five of them.

It's just a shame that it's so hard to find box protectors for Japanese stuff. Super Famicom is easy since they all use the same size boxes, but the Famicom and Game Boy doesn't seem to have had a standard size for the boxes so they come in different sizes. Anyone know if there even are any box protectors available somewhere for those systems?

The boxes seems to at least be of a few different sizes. Like there were a couple of different standard sizes. That's what it seems like so it should be possible to find box protectors somewhere. But then my box for The Goonies seems to be it's own odd size for example.

I've also seen that they now make cartridge protectors as well, but that just seems silly.

Mzo

I bought all the main series Mega Man games, including most of the Game Boy ones, on release, at the store.

I never saw GB Mega Man V for sale at a store. That one really did not get around much.

Was in a store this afternoon, looking for a copy of Pokemon Platinum. Didn't find it, but as I was walking out, I noticed some SPs behind the counter. I saw two Platinum ones, and a Spongebob themed one. I had a weird hunch about the Spongebob themed one, so I looked it up, and sure enough, every Spongebob SP is an AGS-101 model. Bought it, and tested it out as soon as I got home. Holy balls, this screen is amazing. It looks just as good as playing on a DS/DS Lite, if not better. GB and GBC games look damned amazing as well. It's almost like the handheld equivalent to jumping from RF/Composite to S-Video on a console. It's that good. This is definitely going to be my definitive GB/GBC/GBA game player from now on.

Non GBA related sidebar: Wow, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are hard to track down for a reasonable price. Got HeartGold complete with the Pokewalker today for $60, after literally months of trying to track the damn thing down. I can only imagine what the prices are going to look like a year from now.

Non GBA related sidebar: Wow, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are hard to track down for a reasonable price. Got HeartGold complete with the Pokewalker today for $60, after literally months of trying to track the damn thing down. I can only imagine what the prices are going to look like a year from now.
I remember a couple years ago Gamestop was clearing them out for $25. That's when I picked up my SS w/pokewalker because I figured it wouldn't go any lower.

Pokemon is such a weird thing to collect because literally tens of millions of copies of each game have sold, yet they retain their value so well.

I remember a couple years ago Gamestop was clearing them out for $25. That's when I picked up my SS w/pokewalker because I figured it wouldn't go any lower.

Pokemon is such a weird thing to collect because literally tens of millions of copies of each game have sold, yet they retain their value so well.

Yeah. Even worse with the GBA/DS (former moreso than the latter) entries since counterfeits are so widespread. Bought a copy of Emerald from a store on Friday that also had a fake copy of FireRed. I could tell because the cart color was way off (Looked more like Pokemon Ruby than FireRed's cart.)

Been trying to patch the holes in my mainline Pokemon collection, and I'm a little surprised at how well they hold their value, even the Gen I games. At this point, the only ones I need to get are Red, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Platinum. The Black and White games are easy enough to find, and I've just now gotten both HG & SS.

Top Bottom