• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Edit: How are the Breath of Fire GBA ports?

The music's not that great, being SNES -> GBA ports and all. But that aside, the battle HUD is redesigned to be less confusing, the encounter rate is slightly less ridiculous, EXP and Gold gained from battle is increased overall, and most importantly, there's a dash function. They're also a lot more brighter than the SNES versions, no doubt to compensate for the GBA's screen.

BoFII uses the same busted translation, though.

Edit: I know already gushed about the AGS-101, but the difference is seriously like night and day.

rFYSi65.jpg

(On the left is my old SP, right is the newer one.)

Suffice to say, I'll be playing GB/GBC/GBA stuff a lot more often now.

OmahaG8

Anybody have a nice condition GameBoy Color Atomic Purple they would like to sell? The one off eBay I just bought, someone oversaturated the rear labels with GooGone : ( and I'm hoping a fellow GAFfer has an extra they would like to part with for some cash.

Jinto

I have no idea what GBA games go for these days. Is this a good deal?

Fire Emblem is sold, as the ad says. I got the person to lower the price down to $75 for the rest. I haven't picked them up yet. Should I make the purchase?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Fire Emblem is sold, as the ad says. I got the person to lower the price down to $75 for the rest. I haven't picked them up yet. Should I make the purchase?

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

$15 is probably too much for Final Fantasy I & II, and probably Tactics Ogre if that's a torn label I see.

Het_Nkik

Looking at completed eBay auctions:

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - cheaper than eBay (average is 20 to 30 loose cart [crazy])
The Legend of Zelda - on par (that's an expensive NES port)
Breath of Fire - eBay is cheaper. You can get loose cart for under $10 and CIB for 20 to 25
Tactics Ogre (or "Atlus" as this seller is calling it) - on par with eBay
Final Fantasy I & II - eBay is cheaper. Goes for between 5 and 10 dollars
Final Fantasy VI - eBay ranges from $15 to $30

Hope that helps!

Jinto

That helps a lot, thanks guys! So using that price charting website (gonna come in handy in the future), the total of the games comes to roughly $95. Using the ebay averages, it comes to $80. I guess for $75 I'm not getting that much of a bargain, but still cheaper than buying them one by one and dealing with the extra hassle. I think I'll buy. Thanks again.

One other question, how different is the GBA version of Tactics Ogre and the PSP version? I already have the PSP version I haven't played yet.

TnK

If I own a GB player, is it worth getting a GBA SP AGS-101? Sadly, my DS Lite's screen broke. Had the old DS Lite where the top screen breaks and becomes loose.

-KRS-

Depends on if you prefer playing on a TV or on a small screen really. But I'd say it's always worth getting an AGS-101. :)

Also GB/GBC games on the GB Player look kind a crappy in my opinion.

If I own a GB player, is it worth getting a GBA SP AGS-101? Sadly, my DS Lite's screen broke. Had the old DS Lite where the top screen breaks and becomes loose.

If the bottom screen and buttons still function, you should be able to play GBA games on that screen too. Just change the sreen you want to uses in the settings menu.

Fred-87

Hi all. I have Kid Dracula for the original gameboy with the box and the game. I heard its a collectable. However is that only for the american market or also the Europian version?

Mzo

So, what is this about exactly? I was with a fellow gaffer shopping around locally last weekend and he was looking for one. I didn't know what he was going on about, though.

It's a GBA SP with a backlit screen that most closely resembles the DS Lite backlit screen. I assume the Micro screen looks just as nice, just much smaller.

-KRS-

Hi all. I have Kid Dracula for the original gameboy with the box and the game. I heard its a collectable. However is that only for the american market or also the Europian version?

The Kid Dracula games are popular among collectors everywhere really. Not sure if the European version is more or less expensive than the American version, but I'm guessing they're about the same. It's not a super expensive game or anything though, but it can fetch a nice sum at times and it's quite uncommon to run into.

Fred-87

The Kid Dracula games are popular among collectors everywhere really. Not sure if the European version is more or less expensive than the American version, but I'm guessing they're about the same. It's not a super expensive game or anything though, but it can fetch a nice sum at times and it's quite uncommon to run into.

Awesome. My first and so far only game what can be considered a collectible :)

Het_Nkik

Only if you don't want to play on your TV, the games look bad on your TV, or you have some motion controlled games that won't work on your GBP (without picking up your GameCube and spinning it around).

I play 99% of my GB/C/A games on my Game Boy Player personally, but I just ordered an original GBA with backlit screen so I can play Kirby Tilt n Tumble and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy.

Only if you don't want to play on your TV, the games look bad on your TV, or you have some motion controlled games that won't work on your GBP (without picking up your GameCube and spinning it around).

I play 99% of my GB/C/A games on my Game Boy Player personally, but I just ordered an original GBA with backlit screen so I can play Kirby Tilt n Tumble and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy.

I dont think gba games look that terrible on a tv lol. That is if your using normal aspect mode on a crt.

Artorias

Banned
I just beat Dragon Quest 2 via the GBC 1+2 collection. It's a really solid game. Kind of a pain near the end but just incredible that they pulled off these games on NES/GBC. I know its nothing super demanding but the craftsmanship is still really impressive.

This isn't collection related, I just needed to brag somewhere :p

I beat DQ1 last week so I'm not sure what to play yet. I want to move on to DQIII soon but I just bought a guide for it and I'll probably wait for that to arrive. Maybe I'll start one of the Mario Golf or Tennis games finally! I adore Camelot but I've never played any of their sports games.

Got these this morning:

Don't know what Summon Night is, but saw some people here talking about it, so I grabbed it.

Feel like Circle of the Moon should have been a bit cheaper, but whatever, I love me some Castlevania.

I'm surprised how cheap GBA games were. I would have dove in soon had I known. Am I crazy or were the Mega Man Zero games way more expensive back in the day?

Got these this morning:

Don't know what Summon Night is, but saw some people here talking about it, so I grabbed it.

Feel like Circle of the Moon should have been a bit cheaper, but whatever, I love me some Castlevania.

I'm surprised how cheap GBA games were. I would have dove in soon had I known. Am I crazy or were the Mega Man Zero games way more expensive back in the day?

I'm currently playing Circle of the moon right now and loving it! So far I'm actually enjoying it more than PoR/OoE
gasps i know!

koopas

Got these this morning:

Complete in box (or sealed) games have stayed fairly stable. Loose carts can be hit or miss in price I find.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hot damn, and they look to be in great shape too!

Rarity aside, you're really going to enjoy both of those. It's a real pity more people didn't get to play MMIV and MMV..

How rare/valuable are the three original GB Pokemon games, in reality? Everybody say they're rare, but I'd imagine that there are a billion copies of them out there, since it was such a successful game?

MrKayle

How rare/valuable are the three original GB Pokemon games, in reality? Everybody say they're rare

Who is 'everybody'? Those games are INCREDIBLY common. There's over 3,700 hits on eBay for "pokemon red". Yes, that includes some items that are not the original GB Pokemon game, but c'mon. These are some of the highest-selling, most-mass-produced GB games ever. Who is saying they're rare?

cafemomo

At my local disc replay they sell RBGY for ~25-30 with RSE/FRLG in the 40s.

Hell, they were also selling SS for like 50 bones w/o the pokewalker

flak57

I bought LADX (again) for $10 on Ebay, and the seller threw it in a normal envelope and shipped it with stamps like a paper letter... 20 days later no delivery. Anyone know my chances that the game is ever heard from again? If the USPS worker didn't catch the mistake, could the machine they feed flat mail through destroy the game? My hopes aren't high.

Update: Got an empty envelope in the mail today with a corner ripped open, spectacular.

Het_Nkik

I just beat Dragon Quest 2 via the GBC 1+2 collection. It's a really solid game. Kind of a pain near the end but just incredible that they pulled off these games on NES/GBC. I know its nothing super demanding but the craftsmanship is still really impressive.

If you think DQ2 is impressive for an NES game, you should see what they managed to do with DQ4. Hands down the most impressive NES game I've played.

I'll go back to GB talk now I promise.

Grizzo

I'm currently playing Circle of the moon right now and loving it! So far I'm actually enjoying it more than PoR/OoE
gasps i know!

Circle Of The Moon is my very first Castlevania game, I bought it in 2012, and I'm stuck against a boss, not that far in the game. I think it's a dragon. I'm bad at this game, but I should get back to it because what I played really felt good. Plus the graphics look gorgeous.

Mzo

Circle Of The Moon is my very first Castlevania game, I bought it in 2012, and I'm stuck against a boss, not that far in the game. I think it's a dragon. I'm bad at this game, but I should get back to it because what I played really felt good. Plus the graphics look gorgeous.

Man, you are going to be hella impressed by the next few Castlevania games you play.

FUCK THE DRAGON ZOMBIES!!!!
I suggest you go find a cross and boomerang it till death. I had to spam in order to kill em and I've played all the CV SOTN legacy games and more, pretty much was the hardest boss for me in my first playthru. Try to focus on one dragon at a time too.

Man, you are going to be hella impressed by the next few Castlevania games you play.

Indeed he shall, if only I could experience them again for the first time.

prateeko

Quick question to those of you who bought a RCG GBA Light+. I ended up returning mine because it had this weird look to the LCD. Compared it to a Micro, GBA SP+ and even a DS Lite and the LCD was off. It almost had some scan lines (esp noticeable when you move the console a little bit). They said it looked normal to them so I got a refund and cancelled two preorders I had.

Anyone else have any experiences with issues like that? It looked to be so perfect with form and I even picked up an AGB-009 (AC adapter) in anticipation but sadly it didnt work out for me (esp for the cost).

Windam

Scaley member
Is there a site that specifically sells manuals for old games? I'm asking because I got my copy of Pokemon Yellow (game + box) used yeeeeeeears ago at EB Games for $10. Not too bad, but there was no manual. I'm now in the habit of needing (not really, but I would much prefer it) my games to be "complete" (box with original artwork + manual) so this kind of grates on me. A lot. So yeah, anyone know where I could pick up a(n) (original) Pokemon Yellow manual?

Quick question to those of you who bought a RCG GBA Light+. I ended up returning mine because it had this weird look to the LCD. Compared it to a Micro, GBA SP+ and even a DS Lite and the LCD was off. It almost had some scan lines (esp noticeable when you move the console a little bit). They said it looked normal to them so I got a refund and cancelled two preorders I had.

Anyone else have any experiences with issues like that? It looked to be so perfect with form and I even picked up an AGB-009 (AC adapter) in anticipation but sadly it didnt work out for me (esp for the cost).

I've never ordered from RCG, but I think that probably has something to do with the refresh rate being different on backlit SPs.

-KRS-

Your description reminds me of how I think the GBC screen looks when you move it around. So maybe that's just some types of screens that are like that. It's an odd looking effect.

Peagles

Your description reminds me of how I think the GBC screen looks when you move it around. So maybe that's just some types of screens that are like that. It's an odd looking effect.

Is it interlacing (like on the PSP 3000 screen)?

In my brief (and soon to be revived) career of fixing DS Lites, I found I could dial this effect up or down by turning the pots that control the LCD inside the DS Lite. I wonder if the same can be done on older systems?

TnK

Depends on if you prefer playing on a TV or on a small screen really. But I'd say it's always worth getting an AGS-101. :)

Also GB/GBC games on the GB Player look kind a crappy in my opinion.
Guess I will consider getting one in the future then.

If the bottom screen and buttons still function, you should be able to play GBA games on that screen too. Just change the sreen you want to uses in the settings menu.
I completely forgot about the bottom screen. Should work properly. Both the AGS-101 and the DS Lite screens are the same, no?

Games don't look bad on my TV. Sometimes, they look much better than some SNES games.
S-video cables did almost no change to the quality of the GBA games for me. I think. I did not compare both composite and S-video to check. I noticed that the GB player softens the screen, even when I put it on sharp.

Is it me, or does Zero Mission have the sound quality in any GBA game? It lacks the typical hissing sound it comes from GBA games.

-KRS-

@Peagles: I guess it reminds me a little of interlacing yes, but not quite like the kind of interlacing you see on modern TVs. I've never seen a PSP 3000 screen so dunno. Don't you have a GBC to try it with?! :)

And I don't have a DS Lite specifically, but I've never seen this effect on any other DS screen. Or any other screen at all for that matter.

Edit: To be clear, the GBC screen only shows this "interlacing" while you're moving it around in front of you. Not if the game itself moves/scrolls/whatever. At least from what I remember. I rarely play on my GBCs these days.

prateeko

@Peagles: I guess it reminds me a little of interlacing yes, but not quite like the kind of interlacing you see on modern TVs. I've never seen a PSP 3000 screen so dunno. Don't you have a GBC to try it with?! :)

And I don't have a DS Lite specifically, but I've never seen this effect on any other DS screen. Or any other screen at all for that matter.

Edit: To be clear, the GBC screen only shows this "interlacing" while you're moving it around in front of you. Not if the game itself moves/scrolls/whatever. At least from what I remember. I rarely play on my GBCs these days.

Yes! It's kind of like interlacing. It's weird because it's not on my GBA SP+ and it looked off which is why I returned it. Thing is, I win an auction with a Wii (homebrewed as it turned out), purple cube (port 1 broken but otherwise perfect for the purple GBP I picked up), a black Hori GCN (main reason I bid) and icing on the cake was a GBA SP+ which works but the side hinge is broken making it perfect to transplant the screen! I wasn't sure if RCG uses original screens and the effect came from different connections or if they have "3rd" party screens and thus my transplant idea would still be viable. That said I couldn't get great pics of the effect (even with my buddies DSLR) and I'm not sure I'm explaining it well now either...

Top Bottom