• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no backlight GBC mods out there are there? I'm trying to figure out the best way to play my old Game Boy games and I'm not too fond of the ergonomics of my backlight GBA SP.

Also I'm pretty sure I remember something about a certain clone console having a backlight screen but with a wrong aspect ratio or something like that?

That's all correct. The GBC can only accommodate a front light unfortunately.

womp

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no backlight GBC mods out there are there? I'm trying to figure out the best way to play my old Game Boy games and I'm not too fond of the ergonomics of my backlight GBA SP.

Also I'm pretty sure I remember something about a certain clone console having a backlight screen but with a wrong aspect ratio or something like that?

This is the clone you are speaking of...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291079232217

I paid for one on Monday and it arrives tomorrow.

I am in the same boat as you though. I too much prefer the ergonomics of a GBC over a backlit SP for playing the GBC/GB games and this looks to be a close enough approximation for that to kick around without bringing out an SP to play on.

The front lit GBC mods I have seen haven't really impressed me and the weird aspect ratio of this clone hopefully won't bother my OCD too much. :)

womp

Best option imo is a regular GBA with a backlight mod.

That was at the top of my list until my options ran out. Rose Colored Games sounds like a horrible experience and the backlit GBA my buddy just snagged off eBay from this other group for $100 looks like it was put together in a dumpster. Fingerprints under the screen and dirt embedded in the external ports.

I'm not spending that kind of money on a hack job with bad service.

oracrest

We need pics of you playing some games on that RCG GBA and of your collection.

Ok, not any ingame screens yet, but I took a couple pictures of my collection. I forget where I bought this case, but it works perfect for GB games storage.

1csmoXu.jpg

9e4ecdf5.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

ZAB36jR.jpg

73B7xyp.jpg

Rich!

Haha. Got my backlit game boy pocket. Only ordered it yesterday, but not surprised I got it so quick when the seller lives a twenty minute drive away.

Haven't opened the box yet though, I'll do that in a bit.

Leonsito

That was at the top of my list until my options ran out. Rose Colored Games sounds like a horrible experience and the backlit GBA my buddy just snagged off eBay from this other group for $100 looks like it was put together in a dumpster. Fingerprints under the screen and dirt embedded in the external ports.

I'm not spending that kind of money on a hack job with bad service.

I made a frontlight mod almost 10 years ago to my GBA, I'm going to try to replace it and install myself a backlight kit, it seems very easy, and I usually fear the experiences you talk about...

It is really easy. You end up only needing to solder a single wire. You will need a dremel or something to remove some excess plastic in the GBA case to fit the new screen though.

Rich!

THIS GAME BOY POCKET IS AMAZING

it's so good. Happy, as the GBP is my favourite out of the lot. dat screen. AND IN THE DARK!

womp

THIS GAME BOY POCKET IS AMAZING

it's so good. Happy, as the GBP is my favourite out of the lot. dat screen. AND IN THE DARK!

Pics please :)

I love the old pocket but I need GBC capability too.

It is really easy. You end up only needing to solder a single wire. You will need a dremel or something to remove some excess plastic in the GBA case to fit the new screen though.

I will probably try doing this at some point down the road. I have a Platinum colored GBA I got for my wife about 12 or so years ago that she barely touched as a great candidate for it. It is such a snazzy looking shade. Heh

Rich!

Pics please :)

I love the old pocket but I need GBC capability too.

yeha later on, I'm too drunk right now

but it';s good. obviously for the GBC games you neeed a GBC, but for anythijng else, you cannot beat the brilliant screen of the GBP.

it's like the originasl DMG, but biogger and clearer! and it's amazing! love it. no fucking pea green dispoplay, great response time, it's sexual man

Gameboy415

yeah we have a mitsuwa. literally live like 5 mins away from it I go there every other day lol.

Really awesome place inside the place called Gabutto Burger. Mang, their burgers are top notch.

if you are ever in the area, drop by, cause those burgers, It's pure bliss

oh and there is a video game store called "video games & now" which is like a 10 min drive from said Mitsua. They have some pretty good deals on GB/GBA games.

Dang, I just looked this place up and it sounds pretty cool!
It's a little out of the way for me (I'm up in Lake Zurich) but I think I'll check it out the next time I go to the Flea Market in Rosemont. :)

Rich!

Last two images of my backlit GBP, because why the hell not:

Definitely a higher strain on batteries...I bought a cheap pack of ten AAA batteries for £1 earlier, and the two I used on it ran out in literally half an hour. However, now I have a pack of energizer lithium batteries, and they've been going strong for four hours or so now.

Gameboy415

Any good stores up at Lake Zurich?

I wish! haha
I've found some good stuff at the local thrift shops (Goodwill, etc.) over the years but they've been really hit-or-miss recently.
Same deal with the Half-Price Books up the road in Palatine - I've found some great stuff there in the past but nothing too amazing for a while.

Mzo

So does anyone have a story where they ordered a backlit GBA and were happy with the results?

Still looking to get one.

womp

My Hong Feng GB Boy Colour arrived today! A quick little review of the GB Boy Colour...

The device is really solid, the framework is nice and comfy. It feels just like holding a GBC from Nintendo, even if it is a bit on the bigger side of things. The D-Pad and buttons feel shockingly good, clicky, responsive and very impressive considering it is a knockoff. The power button on the other hand very finicky and seems kind of cheap however, too touchy and can be easily shut off if you are not careful.

As much as I like the back lit display, I am having a bit of a tough time adapting to the crunched screen resolution as it ruins the pixels of the games a bit - makes it feel as if the games are being emulated, if that makes any sense. If you have tried running a NES emulator on a GBA, you will understand. The screen glass already has some swirl scratches on it simply from a microfiber wipe, and some minimal dust under the screen so it is obvious from the get go that this is very low quality plastic. Murdering my OCD. :p

One great thing about it is that it is running on the official (albeit hacked) Gameboy Color firmware which means you can do that neat trick at boot up of changing the built in palette from some presets just as you can in the real thing. From what I have read the IR port at the top is simply a facsimile and not functional.

That said, it is a nice little curiosity to add to the collection and to kick around for when you don't want to pull out an official device, but not for the $50+ I paid. $25-30? Yeah sure...

Overall? I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

As an additional note - Since this and an actual Nintendo Gameboy Color are difference sizes, you will not be able to replace the shell and vice versa. No moving this screen into a GBC.

Some quick pics...

My ancient GB/GBC Bung flash cart works like a charm! Great for taking the collection around in one cart.

2014-03-13

Some game shots...

2014-03-13
2014-03-13
]
2014-03-13

My six year old has already taken possession...

2014-03-13

paolo11

Finally got my Megaman 5 thru a seller in Nintendoage. Authentic and in minty condition.

Now I just need the 4 Megaman GB games and 2 Megaman Extreme games.

womp

Finally got my Megaman 5 thru a seller in Nintendoage. Authentic and in minty condition.

Now I just need the 4 Megaman GB games and 2 Megaman Extreme games.

I have to admit, I am certainly no Megaman super fan, but I did try Megaman Extreme before and was very impressed. It is definitely a game I want to add to my collection at some point.

paolo11

I have to admit, I am certainly no Megaman super fan, but I did try Megaman Extreme before and was very impressed. It is definitely a game I want to add to my collection at some point.

Megaman 2D games on portable devices are a bliss I tell you. :)

womp

Megaman 2D games on portable devices are a bliss I tell you. :)

I didn't care for the Gameboy Megamans...as a matter of fact, the only Megaman game I have ever liked was 2 on NES which my buddy owned back in the heyday of the system. But Extreme for some goofy reason looks and plays really great to me.

I cannot explain it. :p

I love how it has a Neo Geo Pocket look to the visuals too. hehe

womp

Definitely a higher strain on batteries...I bought a cheap pack of ten AAA batteries for £1 earlier, and the two I used on it ran out in literally half an hour. However, now I have a pack of energizer lithium batteries, and they've been going strong for four hours or so now.

As a long time owner of a Sega Nomad and an Atari Lynx, this is very disheartening to hear. :|

cafemomo

I wish! haha
I've found some good stuff at the local thrift shops (Goodwill, etc.) over the years but they've been really hit-or-miss recently.
Same deal with the Half-Price Books up the road in Palatine - I've found some great stuff there in the past but nothing too amazing for a while.

They opened up another Half Price Books at Schaumburg near Woodfield Mall

It's also a hit or miss - or if there is something really good, they'll up the pricetag

Olly88

It's been a while since I've played, but I'm 99% sure it just constantly autosaves.

I read online that if you pause and quit then it saves. It worked once, but then the next time I started it up it had gone. Maybe the battery is going.

EDIT: Though if it was the battery I think it just wouldn't save at all, rather than intermittently... so I don't know.

Rich!

just designed a label for the GB Everdrive during a bit of boredom, as it's obvious I'll end up buying it when it comes out:

iGcz0cCqt7Lnj.png

had to watermark it as it'll end up being used by some chinese re-seller if I dont

I'd love to see this but I guess it's print-only?

Print only, I think. Beautiful pages though, really pop on an iPad.

25. Mega Man II
24. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
23. Operation C
22. Motocross Maniacs
21. Monster Max
20. Metroid II: Return of Samus
19. Ducktales
18. Mario's Picross
17. Kirby's Dreamland
16. Golf
15. Kirby's Pinball Land
14. Batman
13. Gargoyle's Quest
12. Revenge of the Gator
11. Super RC Pro-AM
10. Mole Mania
09. Tennis
08. Donkey Kong
07. Double Dragon
06. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
05. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
04. Pokemon Red/Blue
03. Super Mario Land (wha??)
02. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
01. Tetris

-KRS-

That GBP is lookin' good rich. I love the form factor of the Pocket. It's so sexy lol. Especially the yellow one.

Speaking of scratched screen protectors btw. Wouldn't it technically be possible to fix a scratched one like they do with scratched CDs/DVDs etc? Not that there's a shortage of replacements out there, but I was just thinking.

Those are some fat pixels!

Hey, fat pixels need some love too!

womp

GBCs are so gorgeous.

I'm tossed if I want to get one front lit, or snag a OG GBA with backlight...

The screen on that chinese knock off GB Boy Colour I posted above has a nice bright backlight, but it isn't using a GBC resolution and is making me batty. :(

Grief.exe

Had to reorder my sound card and Harry Potter GBC as Amazon shipped them to the wrong address. Can't wait to try out that Harry Potter game as impressions are its an overlooked gem.

Also ordered a headphone adapter for the GBA SP and a new case for my 3DS XL

It was a good day.

81OEzJ4YsbL._SL1500_.jpg

womp

It was a good day.

Those cases are great. We have about four of them in the household at this point. Five Below was selling them for $4.99 a while back in various colors so I got them for the whole family. I think you will like it.

Fit perfect on DSi XL and 3DS XL.

Grief.exe

Those cases are great. We have about four of them in the household at this point. Five Below was selling them for $4.99 a while back in various colors so I got them for the whole family. I think you will like it.

Fit perfect on DSi XL and 3DS XL.

Should have came here first and asked! Glad that they turned out great!

Mzo

Do you have a screen protector?

Those cases hold the 3DS XL snugly and it will cause the bottom screen's edges to scratch the top screen over time.

putermcgee

I've been slowly reading through this thread from page 1 over the past several days, and it's making me so damn sad that I had to get rid of my collection.

Pro tip: even if your family tells you there's no room to store your stuff if you move overseas, just store your stuff anyway, or rent a storage unit.

Peagles

I've been slowly reading through this thread from page 1 over the past several days, and it's making me so damn sad that I had to get rid of my collection.

Pro tip: even if your family tells you there's no room to store your stuff if you move overseas, just store your stuff anyway, or rent a storage unit.

Sorry you had to do that, how gut wrenching :(

Tell us a bit about your old collection, it might not be too hard to start again!

There's some upsides to having an avid collector as a Dad I guess. He would never get rid of my stuff, he understands these things, hehe. Heck he even scours garage sales and second hand stores for me for games. He's the awesomest.

I've been meaning to share my humble GB collection on here for a while. I ran out of spaces for boxes and got rid of them all a good few years back, but these are all genuine carts...can't stand fakes. Please excuse the poor quality photos.

My GBA SP+ (graphite) and black GB Micro (with first party red faceplate, took forever to get it). I just really like the red/black look. I don't use it much though, screen is tiny. I have the first party GBA SP case and this dodgy looking airform one which is actually really good. I use the former to store some carts. Also have the earphone attachment piece.

My GBA collection. Most played is probably Metroid Fusion. I forgot that I had Warioware Twisted because I store it separately due to the size of the cart, so that's not in the pic. I think there are a few more games I want to buy (Yoshi's Topsy Turvy) or re-buy (Crash Bandicoot games). The cases are 6-cart holders, Nintendo UK magazine gave them away with an issue ages ago. I somehow ended up with two.

...and finally my GB/C collection. Not much. Don't know how I ended up with Smurfs, maybe it came with one of the other games I bought from eBay as a set. I've been meaning to buy a backlit GB Color to play these games on. Was considering Rose Colored Gaming until I heard about the complaints on GAF (perhaps in this thread). I'd like to get one that has a GBA SP+ backlight in it.

Kimppis

Had to reorder my sound card and Harry Potter GBC as Amazon shipped them to the wrong address. Can't wait to try out that Harry Potter game as impressions are its an overlooked gem.

It was a good day.

81OEzJ4YsbL._SL1500_.jpg

They are "JRPGish", right? I gotta pick them up too. And if I'm not wrong, Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA is similar. Do you have MGS GBC? Tried it on an emulator a few years ago and it was pretty amazing, but I never finished it. I have to get it eventually, but it's not cheap.

And yeah, that headphone adapter is essential. I bought mine just a while ago. Just blows my mind that there's no headphone jack. "Not enough space"... BS excuse.

Top Bottom