• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Grief.exe

Gimp made it happen. Fuck paint. Didn't even think about the tabs. Now the cutting and the folding. This will take some practice. Thanks for your work on these. Very awesome looking.

Sure! I did them for myself initially, but I enjoy seeing others get use out of them as well!

Work in progress MegaMan Battle Network 3 box. Haven't finished cutting out the back of the box yet.

I love the artwork I found for the front of BN2, the front of BN3, and the render on the back of the BN3 box. The only problem is, they seem to be scanned in from a magazine and are not the highest quality. Oh well, they look amazing despite some issues caused by their origin.

ibo6G8wH7qvmD0.jpg

Joqu

*sigh* alright peagles, is that figure shipped though?
also i may one day join you guys in your GBA holy grail model search, my cheapy non-backlight one is booty quality. and gunsmith predicted i'd get into this scene eventually, started looking up how much my want list would be to get boxed and it's surprisingly not bad yet

Yeah I'd also go with Real Hot Stuff myself. I'm afraid that price is without shipping though, so yeah... I'm sure it's available cheaper elsewhere but a bunch of these sites are shady as hell.

IrishNinja

right right i just want the least shady one possible i guess

also thanks for the ballpark quotes, BinaryPork2737! good to know what to go after when i'm ready.

oracrest

I picked one of these up at a gaming expo in Austin.

5277541_orig.jpg

http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/gameboy-advance.html

SNES colored shell and buttons, and a brand new backlit LCD screen and glass. It looks and feels great! It made me finally document all the Gameboy games I own (mainly to keep me from accidentally buying duplicates.

GB original:

Adventure island
Aliens vs. predator
Altered space
Baby T-Rex
Bad n' Rad
Battle toads
Bill and ted's adventure
Bionic Commando
Castlevania adventure
Castlevania adventure 2: belmonts..
Double dragon 3
Donkey Kong land
Donkey Kong land 2
Dr. Mario
Final Fantasy adventure
Fortress of fear
Gargoyle's Quest
Joe and Mac
Kid Icarus
Kirby tilt and tumble
Marble madness
Mega man
Mega man (German?)
Mega man 4
Nascar
Nemesis
Paridious
Prehistorik man
Prince of Persia
Primal Rage
Rescue if princess blobette
Splitz
Star saver
Super C
Super Mario land X2
Super Mario land 2
Super Mario land 3: wario land
Super R.C. Pro AM
Sword of hope
Sword of hope 2
Tetris
Tmnt fall of the foot clan
Tmnt 2: back from the sewers X2
Warioland 2
Xenon 2
Zelda links awakening

GB color:

Commander Keen
Déjà Vu I & 2
Kirby tilt and tumble
Metal Gear Solid
Shadowgate classic
Zelda links awakening
Zelda oracle of ages

GBA:

Astroboy
Boktai
Breath of fire
Breath of fire II
Bubble bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania aria of sorrow
Castlevania harmony of dissonance
Dot stream
Final fantasy I & II
Final fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final fantasy tactics advance
Fire emblem
Gekido
Golden sun the lost age
Guardian Heroes advance
Gunstar super heroes
Ice climbers
Lunar
Mario vs. donkey kong
Medal of Honor infiltrator
Megaman and Bass
Megaman zero
Metroid
Metroid fusion
Metroid zero mission
Ninja five O
Rock and roll racing
River city ransom
Sega smash pack
Shining Force
Sim city 2000
Sonic the hedgehog
Super ghouls and ghosts
Super Mario advance 2: Mario world
Super Mario advance 3: yoshis isl.
Super Mario advance 4: Mario 3
Tmnt
Warioware
Warioware twisted
Yggdra union
Zelda
Zelda II adventure of link
Zelda four swords
Zelda minnish cap

Was thinking NES because of the red buttons. There is nothing red on a SNES.

Yeah, I think that that's the original Game Boy color scheme. Not NES or SNES. Though those buttons do look more pink than the bright reddish-purple A and B buttons on the original GB... but the link there makes it clear that that color scheme is supposed to be original GB-colored, so yeah. I guess they got the button color a bit off, or are the pictures wrong? In the picture the A and B button colors don't look as dark as they are on the original GB.

oracrest

Yeah, I think that that's the original Game Boy color scheme. Not NES or SNES. Though those buttons do look more pink than the bright reddish-purple A and B buttons on the original GB... but the link there makes it clear that that color scheme is supposed to be original GB-colored, so yeah. I guess they got the button color a bit off, or are the pictures wrong?

I think the colors in that image are distorted, or they took a picture of a different color scheme. Mine has the dark purple buttons of the SNES. Or maybe they don't have this color scheme on the website. I just quickly found the closest one on their to the one I bought.

Uqx7FBZ.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yggdra Union is also on PSP where it has much nicer graphics. The game under Pokemon is Kuru Kuru Kururin, which was released in English in PAL Land (so obviously you'd probably want to get that version instead). It has two Japanese-only sequels, Kururin Paradise (also on GBA) and Kururin Squash (Gamecube).

I don't have a PSP, but now I play the waiting game to see if the VitaTV comes over before my cravings for Yggdra Union become too strong.

And so that's what that game is. I remember the Kururin trophy from some of the Smash Bros. games. I'll definitely have to put that on the list.

If you want to pay double the price sure lol. The amount of text in the game is barely any you certainly don't need reading comprehension to enjoy the game.

If it's that easy to understand at a cheaper price, that's probably the way I'll go. Thanks for the input.

also thanks for the ballpark quotes, BinaryPork2737! good to know what to go after when i'm ready.

No problem!

I think the colors in that image are distorted, or they took a picture of a different color scheme. Mine has the dark purple buttons of the SNES. Or maybe they don't have this color scheme on the website. I just quickly found the closest one on their to the one I bought.

Uqx7FBZ.png
Yeah, I'm not sure if they got the button colors quite right (that does look darker there, but still not quite the red/purple color of GB A and B buttons...), but that's absolutely supposed to be an original Game Boy. For instance, the GB has a black d-pad like that one there, while the SNES has a grey dpad. And SNES Start and Select buttons are the same color as the SNES d-pad, while GB Start and Select buttons are light grey; those in the pic look white, but still it's a contrast from the black dpad.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I love the artwork I found for the front of BN2, the front of BN3, and the render on the back of the BN3 box. The only problem is, they seem to be scanned in from a magazine and are not the highest quality. Oh well, they look amazing despite some issues caused by their origin.

I know this is an old post, but you (or whoever produced that image) forgot to cut the background behind Megaman's left hand.

Artorias

Banned
Should I get me one of RCG's GBAs? How good is it? Really thinking of getting the Lake Hylia one.

Honestly, I think its a shot in the dark. I imagine the vast majority of people get a nice one, but I'm going on 5 weeks now with one single response since I returned mine for repairs. They were very quick to tell me that despite being put together improperly, that they device is full functional...as if nothing else matters as long as the fucking screen works.

Basically, you are only their customer for the few minutes it takes you to check out. If you have an issues after that they will be extremely hard to work with. I emailed them the day I got my GBA and noticed issues, sent it back, they said they would fix it that day and return it. That was 4 weeks ago. I'm starting to think I'll have to open a Paypal dispute.

Grief.exe

I know this is an old post, but you (or whoever produced that image) forgot to cut the background behind Megaman's left hand.

Not really old, post was made this morning! I know about the issues, completely work in progress:

Work in progress MegaMan Battle Network 3 box. Haven't finished cutting out the back of the box yet.

Uqx7FBZ.png

That looks much better than the image you originally posted.

Peagles

Post pics when you get them in!

It's in the post today omgomgomgomg........ Why can't it be here now argh! I wanted to pick up but they don't allow pickups.

Oh and they came with like 20 crappy games, and I mean seriously crappy Dora the explorer type shit. Even if I sell them for $5 a pop, I'll make a profit...

Het_Nkik

Uqx7FBZ.png

Those button colors still look the og Game Boy to me.

SYxCbNc.jpg

womp

Just snagged one of these...hoping the slightly squished screen doesn't destroy my OCD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079232217

That said, it looks like a nice curiosity collectible and something to throw around without digging out one of my SP 101s if I want some backlit GB action.

Anyone else have one?

Peagles

Just snagged one of these...hoping the slightly squished screen doesn't destroy my OCD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079232217

That said, it looks like a nice curiosity collectible and something to throw around without digging out one of my SP 101s if I want some backlit GB action.

Anyone else have one?

I recently got one, but it was like 1/3 of the price from aliexpress!

Love it though, you get used to the squished screen pretty quick.

womp

I recently got one, but it was like 1/3 of the price from aliexpress!

Love it though, you get used to the squished screen pretty quick.

Nice! Yeah I saw it cheaper, but this is a US seller and it will arrive in just a few days. Already got the tracking. heh

Peagles

Nice! Yeah I saw it cheaper, but this is a US seller and it will arrive in just a few days. Already got the tracking. heh

Ah that's cool. Stuff is always quicker from China to where I am so I gladly took the discount!

I was surprised by the build quality and the weight of it, it's easily as sturdy as my original GBCs, maybe more so.

Grief.exe

Just ordered Harry Potter and the Sorcerrer's Stone on GBC and my new soundcard from Amazon. Sent my old one back that was blocking airflow to my GPU.

Peagles

Well my AGS-101 score turned up today. I got a pink and a blue, and as extras, a spare AGS-001 in black with the box (no paperwork unfortunately) and 21 (terrible, and mostly bootleg) games. Sorry for crappy phone pics!

Removing the stickers now, and cleaning them up. They're not perfect but not in bad condition either. The pink one won't turn on at the moment but I think it's just the battery is flat or dead. Charging it now so we shall see.

The interesting thing though... The pink 101 says "C/AGT USA E4" but the blue says "C/AGT-AUS(E4)-2". Maybe they did come out here and in Aussie in limited numbers?

Grief.exe

Well my AGS-101 score turned up today. I got a pink and a blue, and as extras, a spare AGS-001 in black with the box (no paperwork unfortunately) and 21 (terrible, and mostly bootleg) games. Sorry for crappy phone pics!

Removing the stickers now, and cleaning them up. They're not perfect but not in bad condition either. The pink one won't turn on at the moment but I think it's just the battery is flat or dead. Charging it now so we shall see.

The interesting thing though... The pink 101 says "C/AGT USA E4" but the blue says "C/AGT-AUS(E4)-2". Maybe they did come out here and in Aussie in limited numbers?

Switch the black 001 shell to one of the 101 internals.

Peagles

Switch the black 001 shell to one of the 101 internals.

I will likely do so. Love that black. The pink one is turning on fine now, just needed a bit of juice! I'm thinking of even getting one of those nice white or purple shells of aliexpress. Hope the quality is okay though.

Just checked all the games and 3 are legit, rest are fake hahaha... I had high hopes for the 36 in 1 but it's actually GBC style and is just SD Gundam, Felix the Cat, Mario Land 1, and Tetris over and over and over again, hahaha!

PixelPeZ

Finally! With these few purchases the GB/GBC/GBA part of my quest to collect all the handheld Mario games is complete! All boxed, some in better shape than others, but a few folds & tears don't matter too much. All of them are in protective boxes.

fLLWorMz

marioland2_01.jpg

And also, one of my favorite pieces from my whole game collection. The form factor and design of the box, kind of wants to make me go after the whole FAMICOM Mini series...

zBj5xWxQ

Ecugr0CA

And the whole Mario lot. I know that WarioWare I is technically Mario Land PTIII and I even have that cart, but boxed versions of those are next on the list...

AozuY72k

mario-collection_02.jpg

Grief.exe

Next, you need to get all of the Wario games!

I have SML 1-3
Super Mario Advance 1, 2, and 4. I have Yoshi's Island on SNES so that makes that entry redundant.

The Super Mario Advance entries are great as I don't have an original Nintendo and they upgraded the audio/visual to the GBA level.

zonipoi

Read through the whole thread in the past few days, great stuff!

For some reason last week I got the urge to get myself a GBA, never had one before. Decided to get a Micro as it just simply looks stunning and also found a cheap DS Lite if the Micro is uncomfortable. Decided to get the games loose as they are much cheaper and easier to found and I have some serious space issues.

Been hunting games online and went to the couple local indie stores. Found a European Final Fantasy V sealed and in mint condition. Had no idea (still don't have) how much it is worth and they asked for 59€. I had brought in a couple of things I had no use for and couldn't find anything else that was interesting so decided to pay the remaining 22€ for it. Sadly can't post a picture right now. How did I do?

Here's a picture of the Micro from eBay. Seller said it's old stock that is not sealed but never been used.

$_12.JPG

Games I've ordered:
FF V (new and sealed)
Rebelstar: Tactical Command (new and sealed)
Shining Force (CiB)
Super Mario Advance 1, 2 and 4
Advance Wars 1 and 2
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Astro Boy
FFTA
Metroid: Zero Mission
Sonic 1
Pokemon LeafGreen (never even tried a Pokemon game, thought now is a good time to try one)
Mario Tennis and Golf
Sword of Mana
Aladdin
Breath of Fire
Shaman King: Master of Spirits

Have the GBA ambassador games and they are fine for now, might track them down later. Still obviously missing a lot of stuff. Castlevanias and Fire Emblem are THE must games missing but haven't seen many European versions even as carts only. Wasted like the past five days reading this thread, different GBA recommendation threads and online shops. :p

cafemomo

Nothing special, but picked this game up today on a whim.

oh and I'll be heading up to California next month, anyone from there can share some awesome shops that sells GBA games (LA region & San Diego (for san diego, somewhere preferably near the Naval Base)

maxcriden

Nothing special, but picked this game up today on a whim.

oh and I'll be heading up to California next month, anyone from there can share some awesome shops that sells GBA games (LA region & San Diego (for san diego, somewhere preferably near the Naval Base)

Suppa, I can actually help with this! First of all, if you're going to be on the Base in Coronado, you should totally hit up the Nite & Day Cafe for a bit, it's 24 hrs and delicious. Okay, with that out of the way. My wife and I hit up several indie gaming shops in the LA area when we were out there on vacation in December. The best by far was Next-Gen Games, and apparently they just moved to a bigger space. So that's the one I'd recommend for sure.

Grief.exe

Have the GBA ambassador games and they are fine for now, might track them down later. Still obviously missing a lot of stuff. Castlevanias and Fire Emblem are THE must games missing but haven't seen many European versions even as carts only. Wasted like the past five days reading this thread, different GBA recommendation threads and online shops. :p

Welcome! Looks like some awesome pick ups there!

Both Fire Emblems on GBA are considered some of the best in the series, I'm still trying to track them down as well.

As for the Castlevania games, Aria of Sorrow is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, in the entire series and is required for any GBA collection. Circle of the Moon is middle of the Castlevania hierarchy, and HoD is considered on the lower end of the entire series.
I haven't played the latter, just reiterating what I tend to hear.

baphomet

I know this thread isn't the exact one, but the ds that is dead.

Anyone purchased one of the ds capture boards from loopy? I got mine in the mail the other day, and am still waiting on my original ds to show up to install it. If so, hows the quality of footage? I figure it's the only way to capture ds footage correctly, and probably the best for GBA footage. Better than my pal GameCube and gameboy player at least.

Top Bottom