• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Gameboy415

They opened up another Half Price Books at Schaumburg near Woodfield Mall

It's also a hit or miss - or if there is something really good, they'll up the pricetag

Yeah I checked that one out on its opening weekend but left empty-handed. :S
I'll be in that area next weekend so I'll probably pop in on Sunday with a 50% off coupon:

http://pages.hpbdirect.com/page.asp...bced5ca8550cbfda2eb66186fb39850805726ac6a197b

I forgot to mention that I found some decent GBC/GBA games in the $2.99 bin at the Palatine store last weekend:

sZkx7Q7l.jpg

(The Game & Watch is from Goodwill and was actually a bit expensive :S )

Only a few more games to find til I have every Nintendo-published game for GB & GBC! :)

maxcriden

Alright guys, I'm ready to start thinking about going to a Goodwill or store like that to see if they have games. I know this sounds silly and hopefully does not come off as weird, but I have a bit of a stigma about going into a store like this. When I was growing up my Mom always went to Amvets (she still does) and I felt awkward shopping there because we could afford new clothes and I felt like I was somehow taking a good deal away from someone who actually needed one. Should I have this guilt about buying a game from a place like this? Also, do both Goodwill and Salvation Army stores typically have video games these days? I don't know if I want to call first, I feel like that would just be awkward. Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

Zalman

Yeah I checked that one out on its opening weekend but left empty-handed. :S
I'll be in that area next weekend so I'll probably pop in on Sunday with a 50% off coupon:

http://pages.hpbdirect.com/page.asp...bced5ca8550cbfda2eb66186fb39850805726ac6a197b

I forgot to mention that I found some decent GBC/GBA games in the $2.99 bin at the Palatine store last weekend:

sZkx7Q7l.jpg

(The Game & Watch is from Goodwill and was actually a bit expensive :S )

Only a few more games to find til I have every Nintendo-published game for GB & GBC! :)
I played the hell out of that Bugs Bunny game as a kid. Looking back, I'm not really sure why, lol.

Pancakes R Us, great collection! How do you like the DKC ports? I keep meaning to pick them up.
Thanks. I've played and completed all three, and enjoyed them all. Visually, of course, they don't match up to the originals but it is nice to have them on the go and well worth it if you're not paying through the roof for these. Good luck finding the games if you decide to get them, and beware of fakes.

maxcriden

Thanks. I've played and completed all three, and enjoyed them all. Visually, of course, they don't match up to the originals but it is nice to have them on the go and well worth it if you're not paying through the roof for these. Good luck finding the games if you decide to get them, and beware of fakes.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably go with Amazon. I've had good luck with them. (Or the B/S/T thread if they're on there anywhere!)

cafemomo

Also, do both Goodwill and Salvation Army stores typically have video games these days?

Goodwill can be a hit or miss when it comes to vidya.

For example from my local one, you can find a 360 or a Wii one day but next day you will just see a bunch of Madden 2006.

But this is a Goodwill from a "well off" suburb so your experiences may vary

Rate my haul!

I finally got out to a game shop in Dusseldorf, which had been closed for the owners' vacation. I caught them as they were packing up their van for a market the next day, but the owner was awesome enough to let me rifle through his stuff and also into the back of the shop where he kept things he sold on the internet. I went a little crazy, and might have paid too much, because this is really the best shop I've been to so far in Germany for this stuff, and he said he can find things for me if I make the trek out to his shop (about a 2 hr drive). He was cutting his online prices pretty much in half for me, showing me what it went for on his Amazon shop, and just taking off 30-50%. So, this is what I walked out with:

MpZ2AV8l.jpg

Game Boy (clear)
Gauntlet II (complete, great shape)
Donkey Kong Country (complete, great shape
Donkey Kong Country 2 (complete)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (complete)
Final Fantasy IV (complete, great shape)
Zelda II (complete)
Castlevania Double Pack (complete, great shape)
Mega Man Battle Network (complete)
Mega Man Battle Network 6 Cybeast Falzar (complete)
Tetris
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 3
X-Men Mutant Academy
Pokemon Goldene Edition
Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge

All of these are PAL, which I'm trying to nab up as much as I can before I leave Europe. Total price for all above ended up being €195, around $270.

maxcriden

Goodwill can be a hit or miss when it comes to vidya.

For example from my local one, you can find a 360 or a Wii one day but next day you will just see a bunch of Madden 2006.

But this is a Goodwill from a "well off" suburb so your experiences may vary

Thanks for the info. Mine is probably the only one in the Burlington, VT area so it might have at least some contributions from wealthier folk.

womp

Do you have a screen protector?

Those cases hold the 3DS XL snugly and it will cause the bottom screen's edges to scratch the top screen over time.

Never had this happen...just stick a hand into the case and wear it in a bit first. Heh

cafemomo

Thanks for the info. Mine is probably the only one in the Burlington, VT area so it might have at least some contributions from wealthier folk.

As for the "moral implications" you have, I can understand your point.
But these are video games, not a necessity, and won't be on someone first priority to purchase when walking into a goodwill.

jbw

Banned
GBA, the last great handheld IMO. The backlit SP model was/is awesome.

I wish Nintendo would revive the Game Boy line and ditch the dual screen, and even the touch screen while they're at it. Not gonna happen, but I still wishes it.

maxcriden

As for the "moral implications" you have, I can understand your point.
But these are video games, not a necessity, and won't be on someone first priority to purchase when walking into a goodwill.

That's a good point, thank you suppa. I hadn't thought about it in that way, that is true. I just have this residual cognitive dissonance I guess from going to these kinds of stores as a kid.

cafemomo

GBA, the last great handheld IMO.

But there is something called the PS Vita ;)

The GBA is a wonderful device. My favorite handheld of all time. If it ever came to a situation where if I was only aloud to own one gaming device, it would be the GBA. Can practically live off the thing. It has everything I need (FF, Pokemon, etc)

jbw

Banned
But there is something called the PS Vita ;)

No doubt the Vita is a beast of a system, but the jury is still out on it, and whether it'll get a great library of games like the GBA.

Also, the clamshell SP somehow fit perfectly in my hands, never got any cramps or anything and that's saying something because my hands are kind of big. The Vita? Not so much. :(

The way things are going, industry trends and all, I doubt we'll ever see another system like the SP.

jbw

Banned
same. maximize the potential of the virtual console, great quality screen and buttons, download only. sad that it won't happen -_-
Yes, yes, and YES!

The one thing that gives me hope for a GB revival is the expanding mobile games market, and how much it seems to align with a hypothetical new GB system. Unfortunately all that hope is dashed by Nintendo apparently stuck in their "niche system" mode of thinking.

v1perz53

So I just learned this past week that my mom stored and saved almost every box and manual from the GB/GBA games I had as a kid. I can't make it home until Friday, but I am unnaturally excited to check these out. Pokemon Red/Blue original boxes with manuals, near perfect condition, will look so much better displaying my collection in box vs how it is now, loose cartridges in a golf ball case. I feel like she likely saved boxes for games long since lost, should be a fun trip down memory lane. Probably post some pictures when I do make it home.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of my current collection. Nothing special, but I am mostly proud of the fact that these have stuck with me for close to 15 years now without getting lost or sold, all of these are original and bought new. You can tell what I liked as a kid hah.
I really want to expand my collection by picking up some of the games I am missing (Pokemon Silver, FireRed and Emerald, Golden Sun Lost Age), but I am terrified of getting fakes especially since some of these are not all that cheap.

EDIT: I was totally sold on the RCG Backlit GBAs (in theory, before hearing about how the guy is kind of a dick) because I remember that thing being super comfortable to hold as a kid. Unfortunately, the dream seems to have died, as I tried playing my original GBA and with adult sized hands I just cannot hold it with good access to the triggers without my hands starting to hurt. My SP is just far more comfortable, too bad it is a front lit model. I would go for a micro, but I really want one system with a lit screen for GBA and GB/GBC games.

EDIT: I was totally sold on the RCG Backlit GBAs (in theory, before hearing about how the guy is kind of a dick) because I remember that thing being super comfortable to hold as a kid. Unfortunately, the dream seems to have died, as I tried playing my original GBA and with adult sized hands I just cannot hold it with good access to the triggers without my hands starting to hurt. My SP is just far more comfortable, too bad it is a front lit model. I would go for a micro, but I really want one system with a lit screen for GBA and GB/GBC games.

Funny I find the SP hurting my hands more often these days. I like the form factor of the original.

Alright guys, I'm ready to start thinking about going to a Goodwill or store like that to see if they have games. I know this sounds silly and hopefully does not come off as weird, but I have a bit of a stigma about going into a store like this. When I was growing up my Mom always went to Amvets (she still does) and I felt awkward shopping there because we could afford new clothes and I felt like I was somehow taking a good deal away from someone who actually needed one. Should I have this guilt about buying a game from a place like this? Also, do both Goodwill and Salvation Army stores typically have video games these days? I don't know if I want to call first, I feel like that would just be awkward. Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

Salvation Army, in my experience, I've found cooler shit in as opposed to Goodwill or other thrift stores.

TnK

20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

Cross post here and in the psx thread. Got these from a another member here. The GBA games are sealed, and I am thinking of opening them.

putermcgee

Sorry you had to do that, how gut wrenching :(

Tell us a bit about your old collection, it might not be too hard to start again!

I thought I had a list somewhere, but I can't find it. I've changed computers several times since then, and something must have misplaced.

Some highlights include both Famicom GBA SPs, the NES GBA SP, the Famicom GB Micro along with the player 2 faceplate, the Final Fantasy IV GB Micro, and the white GBA SP that came with Metroid Zero.

Also, Stuff magazine had a contest where Tony Hawk, Kelly Slater, and Dave Mirra each hand-painted a GBA, and I won the Dave Mirra one. He signed his name over the screen, so it wasn't possible to use. And while it's one-of-a-kind, it was painted as a tacky American Flag.

My original GBA was the glacier model, and I had swapped the back half with my cousin's fuchsia casing. They went really well together, and I never got mine mixed up with someone else's. Another unique part of it was the Afterburner front light mod. I had installed a switch for it that hid behind one of the shoulder buttons.

As for games, I tried to keep it limited to games I really liked. I kept the boxes in great condition by carefully unfolding/collapsing them and putting them in a storage box so they wouldn't get bent/crushed.

maxcriden

Thanks for the info on Salvation Army and Goodwill, guys! I did go to a couple Goodwill stores today. Salvation Army wasn't open today but I will try to check it out sometime soon. Hilariously, as suppa mentioned, both stores had plenty of Madden games and not much else. I got a couple movies for $3 each on DVD (Cable Guy and Elizabethtown) and Lego Harry Potter Yrs 1-4 for Wii, which is actually supposed to be a good game, so that seemed like a pretty solid find. All in all well worth the trip.

Grief.exe

20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

Cross post here and in the psx thread. Got these from a another member here. The GBA games are sealed, and I am thinking of opening them.

It may be a difference in ideology here, but I buy games to play them, not solely for collecting purposes.

Sure, if you open the game it loses some of its value, but if you are never planning on selling the game, than the value is merely perceived rather than an actuality.

IrishNinja

does anyone know if the Retro bit adapter that lets you play SNES pads on your wii work for GBA player use? can't seem to find out online, and they'd be pretty cool for me if they did!

MadmanUK

20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

I thought Nintendo published games had the Nintendo tear strip?
Anyway i'd sell them and buy opened copies and use the profit to buy more games.

v1perz53

Funny I find the SP hurting my hands more often these days. I like the form factor of the original.

I think it has to do with the strange way I hold my SP, I don't actually press the triggers with my fingertips, but instead I use my PIP joint (one joint away from the knuckle), so I can fully wrap my hand around the SP. I wish the original form factor was more comfortable, I much prefer GB/GBC cartridges sticking out the top, I miss the headphone port, and for some reason I always accidentally bump the SP power switch and reset my games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Oare

My SP is just far more comfortable, too bad it is a front lit model. I would go for a micro, but I really want one system with a lit screen for GBA and GB/GBC games.

If you're somewhat comfortable using a soldering iron, you could mod your SP with a backlit screen.
All you need is a screen (they're readily available on Yahoo auctions so I suppose they're on ebay too), about 2.5 inches of wire, and a tri-wing screwdriver.
I did it today, it took less than 30 minutes and the added comfort is astonishing.

Here's a link with instructions:
http://ayasuke.exblog.jp/20596613/
It's in Japanese but the pictures are pretty self-explanatory.
All you need to do is severe the connection behind the u83 point and rewire it to the vdd15 point.

When the mod's done, there's a small potentiometer under the battery (last picture below the zelda one on the link provided above) that you need to adjust until you have a good picture.

It's really easy to perform but the soldering points are tiny, so you need to have a steady hand.

maxcriden

Feeling that eBay itch. Picked up DKC GBA and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, bidding on/hunting DKC2/3 and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland.

Peagles

If you're somewhat comfortable using a soldering iron, you could mod your SP with a backlit screen.
All you need is a screen (they're readily available on Yahoo auctions so I suppose they're on ebay too), about 2.5 inches of wire, and a tri-wing screwdriver.
I did it today, it took less than 30 minutes and the added comfort is astonishing.

Here's a link with instructions:
http://ayasuke.exblog.jp/20596613/
It's in Japanese but the pictures are pretty self-explanatory.
All you need to do is severe the connection behind the u83 point and rewire it to the vdd15 point.

When the mod's done, there's a small potentiometer under the battery (last picture below the zelda one on the link provided above) that you need to adjust until you have a good picture.

It's really easy to perform but the soldering points are tiny, so you need to have a steady hand.

Wow thanks for this! I've been scouring the internet for this and even asked here but couldn't find a thing, definitely gonna grab some screens and give this a try!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
A few days old but here you go:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/as...-a-reader-a-fightercart-2mbit-flash-cart.html

The Altane Game Boy Cartridge Writer & Reader has been designed with pocket chiptune artists in mind. ASM Retro's device is intended to allow musicians easy access to the SRAM to backup their compositions, whilst also providing an easy way to write new software to the likes of the Bung Doctor GB 64M and EMS Smart Card cartridges too.

Bleeps and bloops aside, there is plenty on offer for gamers here too. The accompanying FIGHTERCART is a 2MBit flash cartridge due to be bundled with the Altane, gifting gamers a much more user-friendly alternative to enjoying ROMs on the original hardware.

Original post:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=122812

I need to grab one of those EMS 64Mbit carts.

Rich!

I need to grab one of those EMS 64Mbit carts.

oh no you dont.

wait for the GB Everdrive. Buy an EMS cart now, and you'll be kicking yourself forever.

GB Everdrive:

- SD card storage. Drag and drop, and play.
- RTC
- Up to 32gb of storage
- Save files for each game, unlike the EMS cart which can only store one at a time
- It's a fucking everdrive. it's quality.

just wait.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
oh no you dont.

wait for the GB Everdrive. Buy an EMS cart now, and you'll be kicking yourself forever.

GB Everdrive:

- SD card storage. Drag and drop, and play.
- RTC
- Up to 32gb of storage
- Save files for each game, unlike the EMS cart which can only store one at a time
- It's a fucking everdrive. it's quality.

just wait.

Well, I was already planning to get a GB Everdrive :p But you're right, I'll refrain from getting the EMS card. Although I am thinking of getting the ASM Retro's FighterCart and Altane flasher for LSDJ-like purposes. Depending on price of course.

Top Bottom