• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

womp

Good God, I cannot wait...

As a long time owner of the BUNG carts since back in the stone age era (circa 1999), I would love to be able to easily update them in this day and age.

12+-+8

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Good God, I cannot wait...

As a long time owner of the BUNG carts since back in the stone age era (circa 1999), I would love to be able to easily update them in this day and age.

12+-+8

Is there a way to update them in this day and age without a Parallel Port on your computer?

I have a Bung Cart, a GBA cart and a Genesis cart that the programmers are Parallel only and I can't do anything with them anymore.

womp

Is there a way to update them in this day and age without a Parallel Port on your computer?

I have a Bung Cart, a GBA cart and a Genesis cart that the programmers are Parallel only and I can't do anything with them anymore.

Not that I can tell, I updated my 64m one using my father's 10 year old Dell laptop a couple years ago because it had PPort. Real drag. A couple of laptop's I have laying around from that era I tried using didn't have any luck...LittleWriter just wouldn't find the port. :(

onslack

I've been lurking on this thread for a while!

It's awesome! I've still got all my gameboy's, I'll grab a picture of my little collection when I get home

Does anyone in the UK know of any retro gaming boot sale type things?

-KRS-

oh no you dont.

wait for the GB Everdrive. Buy an EMS cart now, and you'll be kicking yourself forever.

GB Everdrive:

- SD card storage. Drag and drop, and play.
- RTC
- Up to 32gb of storage
- Save files for each game, unlike the EMS cart which can only store one at a time
- It's a fucking everdrive. it's quality.

just wait.

There's a patched version of the ROM writing software that lets you have multiple saves at the same time. But yes, wait for the Everdrive. It'll surely have better features and build quality than the cheaply made EMS cart.

I've mentioned this before but I just hope that the Everdrive will work fine with the GB Pocket. The EMS cart does NOT play well with the Pocket because of a difference in how the power conversion in the Pocket works or something like that, which is a shame because the Pocket is my favorite GB model.

oh no you dont.

wait for the GB Everdrive. Buy an EMS cart now, and you'll be kicking yourself forever.

GB Everdrive:

- RTC
- Up to 32gb of storage
- Save files for each game, unlike the EMS cart which can only store one at a time

just wait.

Where can I follow news for this, I would love to get more mileage out of my Gameboy Color without having to carry tons of carts around.

TnK

Keep 'em sealed; buy used copies for play :)

Oh they look so nice. ;). You know what I think, but I'm biased :D.
I do know what you think, lol. I really am considering on keeping these games sealed.
It may be a difference in ideology here, but I buy games to play them, not solely for collecting purposes.

Sure, if you open the game it loses some of its value, but if you are never planning on selling the game, than the value is merely perceived rather than an actuality.
I also only buy games to play them. At some point a number of years back, I bought a brand new Sega Saturn, and I opened it to play it. Something about opening these games though would make me feel bad, I don't know how to describe it.
I thought Nintendo published games had the Nintendo tear strip?
Anyway i'd sell them and buy opened copies and use the profit to buy more games.
These are 100% legit. The games didn't always have the seal as I remember. All the other CV DS games also had a similar wrapping.

Grief.exe

I think you should sell them and buy used copies that are CIB and end up coming out having money to spare.

Not sure how viable this is, but I see people selling their copies that have been rated and sealed for incredibly high prices on ebay.

$(KGrHqRHJDoFIpwEbVObBSLCh+U(ng~~60_12.JPG

womp

I think you should sell them and buy used copies that are CIB and end up coming out having money to spare.

Not sure how viable this is, but I see people selling their copies that have been rated and sealed for incredibly high prices on ebay.

But who is buying them for those ridiculous prices is always my question. LOL

Also got a new shell and screen lens for my beaten up SP:

I didn't mind the shell being all beaten up, but the screen had a nice scratch on it that had to go. The new buttons and D-pad sucked so I had to open it back up and use the old buttons. The hinges don't click like they originally did, so I'm going to open it again and see what I can do about that. It still locks into place like it's supposed to, but it's just not quiet right with the snappiness of it.

Also got my backlit screen for my OG GBA. I don't trust my soldering ability so have to wait until my friend can do it for me.

I feel like we might have been fighting over that MMX game on ebay, lol.

Haha, nah. I got that all from a guy on the Nintendo Age forums.

Ah man so much fun awaits you!

Yeah, I popped them in after cleaning them. I didn't know the Mario games seem like complete remakes. I expected straight ports. Pretty weird stuff.

maxcriden

This is shameless, but--if anyone's interested in modding them I'm selling an OG Glacier GBA (works perfectly, no battery cover) and black DS Lite (works perfectly, broken hinge though) in the B/S/T thread. Link is here.

my pickup in these last few days.
7M0kcfo.jpg

Now i just need Zelda DS.
iOAmT6q.jpg

jealous, man. i want that gba. how much did you pay for it? also gamestop.com as the zelda ds lite in stock (as of yesterday)

This is shameless, but--if anyone's interested in modding them I'm selling an OG Glacier GBA (works perfectly, no battery cover) and black DS Lite (works perfectly, broken hinge though) in the B/S/T thread. Link is here.

what? i could've gotten a ds lite that doesn't reek of cigarette smoke and had mystery gunk on it?

anyone know how to get cigarette smoke smell out of a ds lite.

maxcriden

1 dollar and a handful of buttons? lol.

if i do buy another ds lite, it's going to be the gold zelda one.

haha, sold. next time you buy something from me, though, if i still have it i'll throw it in cheap. (seriously though the zelda one is quite nice, i thought about getting it before settling on my current dark blue/black one.)

haha, sold. next time you buy something from me, though, if i still have it i'll throw it in cheap. (seriously though the zelda one is quite nice, i thought about getting it before settling on my current dark blue/black one.)

i was so close to buying the zelda one but my friend somehow convinced me to wait for the 3ds (which came out like less then a year later). i will regret that forever.

if you sell anymore zelda stuff, let me know.

maxcriden

i was so close to buying the zelda one but my friend somehow convinced me to wait for the 3ds (which came out like less then a year later). i will regret that forever.

if you sell anymore zelda stuff, let me know.

Sure thing. I'm selling my Wind Waker GCN (and LBW, but you have that).

Grief, let us know how the GBC HP is, I hear great things. (If you like it you might like that Magi-Nation game I recommended for GBC a bit ago.)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Got a pretty beaten up GBA SP, but a shoulder button isn't working... I tried opening it and cleaning the button with a toothbrush (both the plastic casing and the "real" button), but no dice. Anything else I could try before giving up...? Now that my DS Lite died, I desperately need something else to play my GBA games and I'm pretty poor...!

Got a pretty beaten up GBA SP, but a shoulder button isn't working... I tried opening it and cleaning the button with a toothbrush (both the plastic casing and the "real" button), but no dice. Anything else I could try before giving up...? Now that my DS Lite died, I desperately need something else to play my GBA games and I'm pretty poor...!

Pop the top rubber piece off the actual button and blow some compressed air in there.

See here.

Grief.exe

Also got a new shell and screen lens for my beaten up SP:

mOVdNpl.jpg

I didn't mind the shell being all beaten up, but the screen had a nice scratch on it that had to go. The new buttons and D-pad sucked so I had to open it back up and use the old buttons. The hinges don't click like they originally did, so I'm going to open it again and see what I can do about that. It still locks into place like it's supposed to, but it's just not quiet right with the snappiness of it.

I need to do the same as I got my SP 101 used and it is quite beaten up in places. Luckily, the screen is perfect.

womp

Wow nice! I'd love to hear your impressions of the screen and build quality when you have a chance.

Will do! So far it is incredible and outside my OCD seeing a dust particle under the glass and a little fuzzy dangling from the top border (not noticeable during use) the workmanship is really impressive.

How can you tell if the screen is plastic or one of those glass ones? Any sure fire way? Right now I have the protective plastic still on top and have yet to peel it off. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to clear out that fuzz under the screen but I guess I may have to disassemble completely to get to it.

The screen is pretty comparable to a SP 101 on the default lighting, and even though I noted some blur during on screen motion at times, I also see it on my actual SP 101 as well. That said, I don't think it is an issue. Just having an OG GBA with the backlit screen is just amazing.

womp

Harry Potter GBC!

Good!

Wow, is this a good game? Normally I would scream IP swill but I know that once in a blue moon you can get something great poking its head through once in awhile that is worth playing.

And damnit, I need a Megaman Xtreme...

dcx4610

oh no you dont.

GB Everdrive:

- RTC
- Up to 32gb of storage

just wait.

I've never had a flash cart. If you load games off of it, is it literally like playing the real cart or is there some form of emulation involved? Any changes at all?

Grief.exe

Wow, is this a good game? Normally I would scream IP swill but I know that once in a blue moon you can get something great poking its head through once in awhile that is worth playing.

And damnit, I need a Megaman Xtreme...

Check out this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743011

One of the developer pops by for some discussion, apparently the publisher pretty much left them to their own devices for this one.

womp

I've never had a flash cart. If you load games off of it, is it literally like playing the real cart or is there some form of emulation involved? Any changes at all?

Like playing off the real cart. It is basically loading the game image into memory and running it on actual hardware. Fantastic for toting an entire (or a bunch at least) of your collection around without having to stack and pack a bunch of easily lost little carts, especially ones of value.

Peagles

Didn't really work... I need to press REALLY hard for the L button to sometimes register... :/

Are the solder points connected to the board properly? They might need resoldering. Pressing hard might just be pressing them against the board enough to make a connection.

womp

Grief.exe

I decided to pick up the game based on that thread, helped that the game is .50 on Amazon, seems like one of those diamond in the rough licensed games.

Top Bottom