• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

-KRS-

Anyways I finally got a copy of DK 94! Cart only but meh, $5 I'm not complaining. Looks great on Super Gameboy!

I need to play that more. Haven't touched it in months. Me and some friends had a blast playing it on a SGB when I bought it.

And not only does the border on the SGB look great, Pauline's voice is also different and better sounding on the SGB. Always cool when GB games took advantage of the SGB like that. Sadly not many did.

Huggers

New pick ups

AyPcXNZ.jpg

Peagles

Anyone know of a transparent purple OG GBA? Not the Glacier, more of a royal purple. Is it a third party shell or a limited edition?

maxcriden

It sure is! The photo doesn't show the triforce properly. Awesome GBA though. Really pleased with it. Still need to get Oracle of Ages too

Great pick-ups, Huggers! Seasons is a bit more straightforward/easier than Ages so I'd recommend playing that first anyways.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I made an attempt at adding a backlit screen to an original GBA.

No additional wire was included so I had to skip soldering for the time being. As a result, brightness isn't as high as it could be. Still, without any soldering, the results are actually still quite good. It's brighter and more evenly lit than a standard SP but not as bright as an SP+ or Micro. Bright enough to enjoy but I'll investigate increasing that. Need to practice my soldering, though, as the point is very small.

Here's an idea of what it looks like without soldering.

iGonlE8yRnAPM.jpg
i0rDC7OIcTOA0.jpg

Wolfe

I still need to pick up an original GBA so I can do that as well, I loved the one I installed an afterburner into years back and having a backlit screen would be so much better. Prolly paint it while I had it apart too.

Huggers

Great pick-ups, Huggers! Seasons is a bit more straightforward/easier than Ages so I'd recommend playing that first anyways.

Thanks dude! I grabbed Seasons first by chance so glad it makes sense to play that first. I want a boxed Minish Cap too but Ebay prices for it scare me off

Got a few things myself today:

Really happy to get Rockman 1-5 out of the way. For some reason I was expecting Pocket Bomberman to actually be a Bomberman game, but that's what Wario Blast is for, I guess--supposedly that has multitap support on SGB which I'll probably test out at some point.

Yeah, Wario Blast and Bomberman GB both support four player multiplayer on the Super Game Boy plus a Super Multitap. It's actually quite fun! I really like Bomberman GB multiplayer on the SNES. Yeah, there are five Super Bomberman games too, but I like Bomberman GB more... the only downside is that Bomberman GB doesn't have any link cable support, which is quite stupid. I forget if Wario Blast does or not. (The third Bomberman GB game, which was only released in Japan, has no multiplayer at all, bizarrely enough. Oh, and in Japan, for those who don't know, Wario Blast is Bomberman GB 1 (with no Wario), and Bomberman GB (US) is Bomberman GB 2 (JP).

As for Pocket Bomberman, it's pretty short and easy, but it is a fun platformer while it lasts. Jump mode is pretty amusing too, for a few minutes at least. In Japan this game was first released B&W-only, but in the West we only goit the dual-mode version. That was the first game I got with my GBC, too... I did beat it quickly, but at least it was fun while it lasted. :) (Oh, it has some nice Super Game Boy borders too. Try that sometime. The regular and Jump modes have different borders, too, much like how in the Bomberman GB series the regular and battle modes have different borders.)

Rich!

goddamnit, I've lost my copy of Wario Land

it was the first game I ever had - I got it back in 1994. I have no idea where it is. sigh. I could buy another, but that's not the point.

Huggers

goddamnit, I've lost my copy of Wario Land

it was the first game I ever had - I got it back in 1994. I have no idea where it is. sigh. I could buy another, but that's not the point.

Hate stuff like this happening. I mislaid my boxed copy of Super Castlevania for the snes that I'd had forever. Awful. Plus it's pricey now

maxcriden

Thanks dude! I grabbed Seasons first by chance so glad it makes sense to play that first. I want a boxed Minish Cap too but Ebay prices for it scare me off

Most def. And, you can always make your own box like Grief does! (BTW, Zelda II is still on my list, I will be sure to let you know when I've played it. I'm psyched!)

Huggers

Most def. And, you can always make your own box like Grief does! (BTW, Zelda II is still on my list, I will be sure to let you know when I've played it. I'm psyched!)

Yeah that'd certainly save cash. Ebay prices for certain games are bonkers. Regarding Zelda 2, do it, do it! I regret not giving it another chance sooner. Fucking awesome game!

maxcriden

I've got a craigslist story for y'all. Today I went on the local site and there usually isn't much on there, but there was a picture with two GBA SPs. I called up the seller to see if they were 101s and managed to talk her through where to look on the systems, and she found out and reported back that they were both 001s. So no go on that.

As I was on the phone with her, I realized there was a small black item in the same picture of one of the video game lots she was selling. It looked a bit like a Micro. I asked her if that's what it was and she said yes. I asked what she was selling it for. She said, make an offer. I said, how's $10? She was like, that sounds pretty reasonable to me...but I have to check with my brother. I'll get back to you since he's at work. I texted her a short while later and her brother had said he'd be good with a solid $20. I called on the powers of the great Rusty Pup (he of Real Deal Baseball fame) and said $15 and she had herself a deal. She said she'd check with him and should hear back by 4 PM. She also said the Micro did not come with a faceplate but came with a charger, and was in good shape.

She also asked if I wanted anything else. I said I'd bring extra cash so I could look at some other games I was potentially interested in. She had MK Super Circuit which I used to have but don't feel too into and some Pokemon games. (Actually maybe I should have gotten the Pokemon Red, isn't that worth something these days?) Anyway, I digress. We made the deal and she actually ended up meeting me at a local supermarket that was equidistant for us since she lived 40 mins away from me. We managed to locate one another without any issue. She'd offered to bring a game for me to test the system with which was a good idea, so I declined and just brought DKC and SMW to test. SMW worked like a charm so we exchanged the $15 for the Micro. And here I am with my new Micro. And, so psyched. I think this was a pretty darn good deal! I just need a faceplate now. Can anyone hook me up or sell/trade me one? Thanks all. I'm so psyched to be part of the Micro crew!

Coda

If anyone is interested I'm going to sell my Mother 3 GBA micro with the original box, no Franklin badge. I can send pictures if anyone is interested. Asking $300.

Drago

If anyone is interested I'm going to sell my Mother 3 GBA micro with the original box, no Franklin badge. I can send pictures if anyone is interested. Asking $300.
Shiet!!

I was gonna pick up a Vita slim and a 64gb memory card this week, but this... the Mother 3 GB Micro is my most wanted gaming item period. :0
Does it include everything sans Franklin Badge? All manuals, the Mother 3 cart, the micro pouch and all?

If you can send some pics, that'd be great.

Coda

Shiet!!

I was gonna pick up a Vita slim and a 64gb memory card this week, but this... the Mother 3 GB Micro is my most wanted gaming item period. :0
Does it include everything sans Franklin Badge? All manuals, the Mother 3 cart, the micro pouch and all?

If you can send some pics, that'd be great.

I picked this up second hand, otherwise it would've certainly been complete. The actual GBA Micro is in nice condition though and is still very pristine looking.

As far as the extras no original cart, no pouch (I used a black FlipGo Pro pouch for it that fits it perfectly which I will include though). Original box, and original paper work and Mother 3 manual.

Drago

I picked this up second hand, otherwise it would've certainly been complete. The actual GBA Micro is in nice condition though and is still very pristine looking.

As far as the extras no original cart, no pouch (I used a black FlipGo Pro pouch for it that fits it perfectly which I will include though). Original box, and original paper work and Mother 3 manual.
Hmm... I don't know; no pouch or badge makes it hard for me to jump on it since those are essentially impossible to obtain outside a bundle set, and both are things I want to have, but $300 is still a crazy good price for the unit. I'll have to think about it, though I think I'm leaning more towards no than yes at this point. :/

Coda

Hmm... I don't know; no cart, pouch, or badge makes it hard for me to jump on it, but $300 is still a crazy good price for the unit. I'll have to think about it, though I think I'm leaning more towards no than yes at this point. :/

Okay I can definitely send you pictures if you want. I sold the cart because I was eventually going to buy a Mother 3 English reproduction cart instead. It's a great unit, hopefully you change your mind. Just trying to avoid eBay if I can.

Drago

Okay I can definitely send you pictures if you want. I sold the cart because I was eventually going to buy a Mother 3 English reproduction cart instead. It's a great unit, hopefully you change your mind. Just trying to avoid eBay if I can.
If you wanna send some pics over through PM, that'd be great. Though I won't be able to get back to you about them until sometime this afternoon, if that's alright.

Zoltar007

Neo Member
There are colorized roms (such as pokemon red) that use extensive ASM hacking to achieve results and do work on real hardware.

I was pointing out rom hacks that have specifically used the Game Boy Colorizer utility. Everyone single one I've tested boots fine in an emulator, but fails on real hardware.

maxcriden

I posted a separate thread but I found a faceplate in Queens NY if anyone can help me out. Thanks.

LOL - a faceplate will probably cost you at least twice that... I've got a handful of extras but they aren't for sale for love or money, and finding them is brutal (Lord knows I've tried)...

Way to hook a brother up. :(

(But seriously, it seems like I can get one on eBay for less than $20, I'd just like to find a better deal.)

maxcriden

Apologies for the double post but I have a separate question about Micro faceplates. Does the faceplate itself have an additional plastic screen that covers the LCD? Or is it just empty in the middle? I'm trying to decipher some pictures of the faceplate on various online stores and listings and not sure if I need to be looking at the middle of the faceplate or not. It's really hard to tell in these pictures if there's plastic in the middle or nothing at all. Thanks!

Peagles

Apologies for the double post but I have a separate question about Micro faceplates. Does the faceplate itself have an additional plastic screen that covers the LCD? Or is it just empty in the middle? I'm trying to decipher some pictures of the faceplate on various online stores and listings and not sure if I need to be looking at the middle of the faceplate or not. It's really hard to tell in these pictures if there's plastic in the middle or nothing at all. Thanks!

My faceplates are a solid piece all the way over the face of the system, and the plastic is clear in the middle square to allow you to see the LCD screen.

maxcriden

My faceplates are a solid piece all the way over the face of the system, and the plastic is clear in the middle square to allow you to see the LCD screen.

Ah, okay. Thank you! That is reassuring, because I just came in here to say the seller told me theirs is plastic in the middle. I might buy one or two if I can get 'em. I presume you're no longer doing the bulk order/have any spares to sell?

Peagles

Ah, okay. Thank you! That is reassuring, because I just came in here to say the seller told me theirs is plastic in the middle. I might buy one or two if I can get 'em. I presume you're no longer doing the bulk order/have any spares to sell?

I can't, I'm simply too poor. I have to buy at least 50 pieces and it's hundreds of dollars I don't have (even more when I convert from USD to NZD). I thought I could manage it before, but then I got my school fees invoice :(

Having said that I still have contact with the supplier so if a well-off gaffer wanted to take it on I'll gladly pass on the details.

If you can get official faceplates that aren't scratched up, I'd go for it!

Top Bottom