• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Those classic NES series games are always marked high when I see them, so any time I see them $5 or less I grab them. Place wanted $25 for fucking Super Mario. Crazy shit.

LostAnkh

Those classic NES series games are always marked high when I see them, so any time I see them $5 or less I grab them. Place wanted $25 for fucking Super Mario. Crazy shit.
That's ridiculous. I wouldn't doubt it at all, because I went to a retro game store (that also sells electronics & e-cigs) and the guy was saying that the Super Game Boy was $100.

It went for $10-15 at the time.

Got a few things myself today:
mms_img3064756359fsd5.jpg
Really happy to get Rockman 1-5 out of the way. For some reason I was expecting Pocket Bomberman to actually be a Bomberman game, but that's what Wario Blast is for, I guess--supposedly that has multitap support on SGB which I'll probably test out at some point.

womp

Today's pickups:

Nothing major, but a good handful again. No idea what the two OG Game Boy games are, but they had cool labels and were $2 each. Place I went to had the most GBA games I've ever seen, got pretty excited. But, there wasn't that much good stuff in there.

Hey, any chance that you would you be interested in trading me that Shining Soul for a copy of Advance Wars? :)

I have always wanted a copy.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Everdrive_GB.jpg

Everdrive GB arrived today. I put the board in a Kitsch-Bent cart shell, and cut out a slot for the Micro SD card.

Worked on a DMG but not on the KongFeng GB Boy Colour unfortunately. Haven't tried it yet on the GBA SP clone I have.

I forgot to mention, the place also had a Metroid that looked like this:

I assumed it was fake as I'd never seen a label that looks like that. I told the guy that and he took it out of the case and put it aside, but he wouldn't let me open it to be sure without paying him for it first. Fuck that.

That's ridiculous. I wouldn't doubt it at all, because I went to a retro game store (that also sells electronics & e-cigs) and the guy was saying that the Super Game Boy was $100.

It went for $10-15 at the time.

I got my Super Game Boy for 99 cents like a year ago. I'm sure they had it priced wrong some how, but the label did say Super Game Boy on it, so I don't know how.

Hey, any chance that you would you be interested in trading me that Shining Soul for a copy of Advance Wars? :)

I have always wanted a copy.

Sorry, I collect anything that says Atlus. And, I also have Part One already. I definitely can't have incomplete sets. It was only $3 bucks, so I assume it isn't that rare.

LostAnkh

I assumed it was fake as I'd never seen a label that looks like that. I told the guy that and he took it out of the case and put it aside, but he wouldn't let me open it to be sure without paying him for it first. Fuck that.
It helps to have a phone with data at times like this.

Wolfe

Definitely fake, aside from the wrong sticker art if you compare it to a real cart you can see differences in the way the text "Game Boy Advance" looks. So far the only fake I've come across myself was a TMNT cart that I picked up from gamestop. After I got home and noticed I took it back to another local one and exchanged it for a real cart after explaining what happened, unfortunately they phased out all their GBA stuff shortly after that.

Zalman

Is there any reason to get the Donkey Kong Land games if you already have all the Country games? How much of the Land games is recycled content?

Do the majority of GBA carts use battery saves? I read a decent amount of later titles started using flash/EEPROM. I'm particularly interested in this regarding Yoshi's Island Advance (because of my hard earned perfect file) and SMB 3 (saved eReader levels). Also, is there a list somewhere that breaks down which carts have batteries and which used EEPROM?

Do the majority of GBA carts use battery saves? I read a decent amount of later titles started using flash/EEPROM. I'm particularly interested in this regarding Yoshi's Island Advance (because of my hard earned perfect file) and SMB 3 (saved eReader levels). Also, is there a list somewhere that breaks down which carts have batteries and which used EEPROM?

No, most use flash memory... but I'm not sure if there actually is a complete list of which, exactly, do. The problem is, lists of such things are usually made via emulation, but FeRAM and SRAM look identical to an emulator, so you can't just make a list of battery-backup (SRAM) games based on that, since FeRAM is a batteryless save type.

It is true that earlier games are much more likely to use batteries than later ones, though.

Is there any reason to get the Donkey Kong Land games if you already have all the Country games? How much of the Land games is recycled content?
The first game is entirely new. The third game is mostly new, and is worth getting. The second... its story is just a straight copy of the SNES game, and the levels are based on the SNES levels, too. They have made changes, but it probably is the least interesting of the three as a result. They're okay games, but not quite as good as the SNES originals... still, decent platformers for sure.

IrishNinja

^ahaha @ that shamelessly fake VI

Peagles/anyone else with an EZ Flash IV, help me out here!

so i'm using this guide, right? and i got my 2GB mini SD card so i should be golden, but...i format said card in FAT32, i dump the ezfla_up.bin file onto the root dir, toss it into the IV & boot that up holding R and...nothing, it just goes into the OS like there's nothing there. i tried on my GBA & gunsmithx's, so of course i can't play my patched files until this is done. any ideas what i'm doing wrong here?

Peagles

^ahaha @ that shamelessly fake VI

Peagles/anyone else with an EZ Flash IV, help me out here!

so i'm using this guide, right? and i got my 2GB mini SD card so i should be golden, but...i format said card in FAT32, i dump the ezfla_up.bin file onto the root dir, toss it into the IV & boot that up holding R and...nothing, it just goes into the OS like there's nothing there. i tried on my GBA & gunsmithx's, so of course i can't play my patched files until this is done. any ideas what i'm doing wrong here?

Try grabbing the ezfla_up.bin file from another source, and see that works. File could be bogus/not recognised.

IrishNinja

well...i tried the one at that link that says it's official, then i tried one for another skin (god, that vader one has to go...). i guess ill look around tomorrow & try others and hope for the best, really lost here.

Wolfe

I'm so jealous, where do you guys find all those awesome games?

While I've always had (what I figured at the time) was a decent GBA collection, once Gamestop was getting ready to phase out GBA I made an effort to scour all of the local ones by checking out their inventory online then running by the physical store to pick the game up. Most every game I bought was in the 5 dollar or less range (save for ones like FF's) and I managed to pick up quite a few good games without spending much cash.

Haven't really looked around since then as there are still a nice handful of games I still want but I imagine I'm going to have a much harder time now finding such nice deals as that.

Joqu

well...i tried the one at that link that says it's official, then i tried one for another skin (god, that vader one has to go...). i guess ill look around tomorrow & try others and hope for the best, really lost here.

Try this one, it's what I use and a pretty nice skin.

You could also try to reformat again if that still doesn't work, something might have gone wrong? I dunno.

Grief.exe

While I've always had (what I figured at the time) was a decent GBA collection, once Gamestop was getting ready to phase out GBA I made an effort to scour all of the local ones by checking out their inventory online then running by the physical store to pick the game up. Most every game I bought was in the 5 dollar or less range (save for ones like FF's) and I managed to pick up quite a few good games without spending much cash.

Haven't really looked around since then as there are still a nice handful of games I still want but I imagine I'm going to have a much harder time now finding such nice deals as that.

Ya, keep your eye on Gamestop. Once they are ready to phase out a console they put all of the games/accessories on a 75% discount.

I recently filled out my PS2 collection entirely via this method.

My GB/GBC/GBA collection was filled out through Craigslist. I actually had no trouble finding games on there. I am struggling with Game Cube games though.

Everdrive_GB.jpg

Everdrive GB arrived today. I put the board in a Kitsch-Bent cart shell, and cut out a slot for the Micro SD card.

Worked on a DMG but not on the KongFeng GB Boy Colour unfortunately. Haven't tried it yet on the GBA SP clone I have.

Can you post more pics of this in action? What do you think about it?

maxcriden

Damn.

My Snes/N64/GB/PS2 collections are essentially complete. Just need Game Cube at this point.

Just saw this on my local Craiglist, Grief:

zelda wink waker
blitz 2003
madden 2005
ghost recon
dark summit
bomberman
top gun sealed
street hoops
metroid prime
mickey mouse
baten kaitos
a series of unfortunate events
dragon ball z
carmen sandiego
skies of arcadia
beach bandits
resident evil
tales of symphonia
lord of the rings

Nothing I want I guess, I just think Wink Waker is hilarious. Can someone do a mockup with Link winking on the cover?

ETA: of course, if there is something you want on here, I can try to see what I can do!

Grief.exe

Just saw this on my local Craiglist, Grief:

Nothing I want I guess, I just think Wink Waker is hilarious. Can someone do a mockup with Link winking on the cover?

ETA: of course, if there is something you want on here, I can try to see what I can do!

Well I would want
Wink Waker
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Skies of Arkadia

I would be interested in Baiten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia as well.

That is a legit Craigslist find, don't go out of your way too much though.

I'm really hoping Sega releases Skies of Arkadia HD on PC/current gen someday here.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well I would want
Wink Waker
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Skies of Arkadia

I'm really hoping Sega releases Skies of Arkadia HD on PC/current gen someday here.

Skies of Arcadia is hard to find at a good price. Metroid Prime and Resident Evil will pop up at fairly cheap prices occasionally, but I've got no idea about Wind Waker.

maxcriden

Well I would want
Wink Waker
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Skies of Arkadia

He's in South Burlington, I might be able to make it happen. PM me and let's talk about it. :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Can you post more pics of this in action? What do you think about it?

It's an Everdrive alright. Easy to put stuff on; menu is responsive - however, B is confirm and A is cancel.
Selecting a ROM makes it write it somewhere on the cart, and it reboots the system to launch the selected game.
Whenever you're in the menu, pressing Start will immediately launch the previously selected game, saving the user some time.

-KRS-

Oh I didn't realize Ishido: Way of the Stones was an actual commercial game. I've only seen it before in the Delta Force Atari ST demo "Punish Your Machine". Always thought that was an original homebrew game for the Atari ST but it's just a homebrew port huh.

And that sort of sucks regarding the Everdrive GB. I'd have preferred to have it in an OG GB cartridge. I guess it's not really a big deal though as long as it works on OG GBs. I'll still hold off a bit though to make sure there aren't any bugs/faults with the first batches etc. Anyone heard of any issues or anything like that?

n64coder

Do you mean in an original GB case? I guess that's why everyone is putting them in the GBC shells?

If so, pretty lame.

So what's the difference between GB & GBC cartridges? They appear to be the same thickness/size to me.

gbaGameComp.jpg

I don't have any to look at right now to see the difference until I get home.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So what's the difference between GB & GBC cartridges? They appear to be the same thickness/size to me.

gbaGameComp.jpg

I don't have any to look at right now to see the difference until I get home.

The "GAMEBOY" part on a GB cart is concave, on a translucent GBC cart it's convex. The Everdrive GB has a small battery which needs that bit of extra space. You could scrap some plastic away from the inside of a GB cart to get it to fit though, but that's not an elegant solution.

Mind you, those translucent GBC carts are for GBC-only games and don't have a notch to allow it to be played on a GB/GB Pocket machine! Kitsch-Bent carts and perhaps other after-market GBC carts do have a notch.

-KRS-

Just want to correct you a little. The GB Pocket doesn't have that physical tab the GB has that extends into the notch when you turn the power on. So a GBC cart would work with a Pocket just fine. It would of course just not play since it's a GBC game. That's not an issue with the Everdrive though.

baphomet

The "GAMEBOY" part on a GB cart is concave, on a translucent GBC cart it's convex. The Everdrive GB has a small battery which needs that bit of extra space. You could scrap some plastic away from the inside of a GB cart to get it to fit though, but that's not an elegant solution.

Mind you, those translucent GBC carts are for GBC-only games and don't have a notch to allow it to be played on a GB/GB Pocket machine! Kitsch-Bent carts and perhaps other after-market GBC carts do have a notch.

So the kitsch bent carts do have the notch? I'm gonna be pissed if I spent $7 on a cart only to not be able to play them on my modded dmgs.

Strangely Kirby's Tilt and Tumble has the DMG compatible notch, but it's a Game Boy Color-only game. Was the shell mold also used for another game before it?

Haibane

It's an Everdrive alright. Easy to put stuff on; menu is responsive - however, B is confirm and A is cancel.
Selecting a ROM makes it write it somewhere on the cart, and it reboots the system to launch the selected game.
Whenever you're in the menu, pressing Start will immediately launch the previously selected game, saving the user some time.

Since it reboots, does that mean you get the proper GBC enhanced palettes when playing bw GB games?

FSLink

Banned
Since it reboots, does that mean you get the proper GBC enhanced palettes when playing bw GB games?
I haven't tried this personally though you definitely get the GBA enhanced stuff on Shantae and the Oracle games.
Edit: yeah it reboots and you can choose a palette if you're on a GBC.

Also rom hacks are a hit or miss but colorized Pokemon Red and the fan translated For the Frog the Bells Tolls seems to work perfect.

Any word if this thing works with Stadium?

Peagles

Strangely Kirby's Tilt and Tumble has the DMG compatible notch, but it's a Game Boy Color-only game. Was the shell mold also used for another game before it?

Perfect Dark is the same, but it's also GBC-only, I'm assuming it's also the same shell, maybe there's another game before that which was cross-compatible.

Perfect Dark is the same, but it's also GBC-only, I'm assuming it's also the same shell, maybe there's another game before that which was cross-compatible.

PD is like that because the rumble-cart shell is the same for dual-mode and GBC-only games. GB/GBC (black cart) dualmode rumble games like Pokemon Pinball use the same shell form as PD, just with different plastic. So it has a notch.

For Kirby Tilt n Tumble, though, yeah, that is a very odd one. As far as I know, Tilt n Tumble is the only game which uses that cart form, with the special shape for its motion sensor. It's also the only GB or GBC game I know of which uses an EEPROM chip for saving, instead of the usual battery-backed memory. So, why the notch? Who knows... maybe at some point they were thinking of a tilt game with GB compatibility, but it didn't happen and they already had the form down by then?

No, most use flash memory... but I'm not sure if there actually is a complete list of which, exactly, do. The problem is, lists of such things are usually made via emulation, but FeRAM and SRAM look identical to an emulator, so you can't just make a list of battery-backup (SRAM) games based on that, since FeRAM is a batteryless save type.

It is true that earlier games are much more likely to use batteries than later ones, though.]

Awesome, thanks. That's a relief because a couple sites I googled said most used batteries so wasn't sure. Flash memory ftw.

Now I just need to get a decent replacement battery for my GBA SP since that last bogus one didn't work out, because between my cart collection and Ambassador titles I don't plan on getting many GBA VC games for Wii U.

Peagles

PD is like that because the rumble-cart shell is the same for dual-mode and GBC-only games. GB/GBC (black cart) dualmode rumble games like Pokemon Pinball use the same shell form as PD, just with different plastic. So it has a notch.

For Kirby Tilt n Tumble, though, yeah, that is a very odd one. As far as I know, Tilt n Tumble is the only game which uses that cart form, with the special shape for its motion sensor. It's also the only GB or GBC game I know of which uses an EEPROM chip for saving, instead of the usual battery-backed memory. So, why the notch? Who knows... maybe at some point they were thinking of a tilt game with GB compatibility, but it didn't happen and they already had the form down by then?

Yeh I was thinking about Pokemon Pinball after I posted, weird about Kirby though...

Anyways I finally got a copy of DK 94! Cart only but meh, $5 I'm not complaining. Looks great on Super Gameboy!

Top Bottom