• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

maxcriden

I can't, I'm simply too poor. I have to buy at least 50 pieces and it's hundreds of dollars I don't have (even more when I convert from USD to NZD). I thought I could manage it before, but then I got my school fees invoice :(

Having said that I still have contact with the supplier so if a well-off gaffer wanted to take it on I'll gladly pass on the details.

If you can get official faceplates that aren't scratched up, I'd go for it!

Yeah, I can't take that on either! BTW, PMing you.

Wolfe

Nice buy max, reminds me of when I bought my Micro. It was after I moved up to the Seattle area and for whatever reason I wanted to get back into GBA but no longer had an advance so I started looking around and found out they had made the Micros. Obviously I thought they were pretty rad so I started looking around online and found someone selling a Famicom one that I couldn't really tell the condition of due to it being in a rubber case but I went for it and managed to pick it up for 25 bucks. Once I had it in hand the rubber case was pretty gross (it had begun to deteriorate and leave residue on the system) so I tossed it and cleaned up the system and as it turns out it was in near perfect condition. Even had a game in it (one of the later battle network games). Looking at prices now I'm quite glad I was able to pick it up for as much as I did.

Just hoping I never have to replace the faceplate as I can only imagine how much more of a pain it is to acquire one of the Famicom ones over a base model one. And yeah as someone already mentioned they're one piece with a clear center, but considering it's just plastic I would recommend a screen protector for it. Unlike a lot of people I don't use screen protectors on glass screens but plastic for sure (like the PSP for example.)

Also reminds me I'm not sure where my Micro charger is, I'll have to dig around for that sometime and set it aside.

maxcriden

Nice buy max, reminds me of when I bought my Micro. It was after I moved up to the Seattle area and for whatever reason I wanted to get back into GBA but no longer had an advance so I started looking around and found out they had made the Micros. Obviously I thought they were pretty rad so I started looking around online and found someone selling a Famicom one that I couldn't really tell the condition of due to it being in a rubber case but I went for it and managed to pick it up for 25 bucks. Once I had it in hand the rubber case was pretty gross (it had begun to deteriorate and leave residue on the system) so I tossed it and cleaned up the system and as it turns out it was in near perfect condition. Even had a game in it (one of the later battle network games). Looking at prices now I'm quite glad I was able to pick it up for as much as I did.

Just hoping I never have to replace the faceplate as I can only imagine how much more of a pain it is to acquire one of the Famicom ones over a base model one. And yeah as someone already mentioned they're one piece with a clear center, but considering it's just plastic I would recommend a screen protector for it. Unlike a lot of people I don't use screen protectors on glass screens but plastic for sure (like the PSP for example.)

Also reminds me I'm not sure where my Micro charger is, I'll have to dig around for that sometime and set it aside.

That's a great buy, Wolfe! I've played around with the Micro a bit now that I've had it for a couple days and I really like it, even without the faceplate it's pretty awesome. The form factor is even smaller than I imagined but you get used to the tiny screen pretty quickly. I did manage to get a couple used faceplates on eBay for $15 total so hopefully they'll be decent enough. Peagles also recommended a screen protector so I'll make it a point to check those out, too. Thanks for the tips!

ETA: speaking of craigslist someone's selling a 3DS with a bunch of games for $85. I've got one so I could get this a flip it but the main thing is they have a copy of NSMB2 in the bundle. I'm trying to get them to sell me just NSMB2...for $10. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

So, I bought a Game Boy Color. I wanted something to play GB/GBC games on where the screen wasn't so small, and since this makes them slightly larger than my backlit AGB-001, I figured it'd be great. But...

Oh my god the screen is so hard to see!

It's just way too dark. How did I put up with this as a child? I have to have it basically directly under a lamp in order to see.

Also my Everdrive GB arrived, yay!

Last week I ordered a new 850 mAh SP replacement battery from a NJ eBay dealer who specializes in batteries for portable devices. Overall feedback for the dealer is very positive and I found multiple positive feedback posts for them specifically from people who'd ordered that SP battery so hopefully that's an indication that it's fairly new and will work. Guess I'll see in about a few days.

maxcriden

Last week I ordered a new 850 mAh SP replacement battery from a NJ eBay dealer who specializes in batteries for portable devices. Overall feedback for the dealer is very positive and I found multiple positive feedback posts for them specifically from people who'd ordered that SP battery so hopefully that's an indication that it's fairly new and will work. Guess I'll see in about a few days.

Fingers crossed, AU! You can play GBA Yoshi's Island again!

Zalman

Does anyone know what the story is behind the Tribal GBA SP? What is it based on?

gen001663.jpg

Zoltar007

Neo Member
Does anyone know what the story is behind the Tribal GBA SP? What is it based on?

I've always assumed it existed because the whole tribal tattoo thing was cool at the time.

EDIT - From the Nintendo World Report article:
“We feel we have created a product in the Tribal Edition that reflects the sentiments of today’s youth – rebellion, attractiveness and spirituality. The new console allows gamers to express these emotions in a fun and interactive way, enabling them to communicate their individuality.” - Tim Freystedt, European Marketing Manager Game Boy Advance

I've always assumed it existed because the whole tribal tattoo thing was cool at the time.

EDIT - From the Nintendo World Report article:
“We feel we have created a product in the Tribal Edition that reflects the sentiments of today’s youth – rebellion, attractiveness and spirituality. The new console allows gamers to express these emotions in a fun and interactive way, enabling them to communicate their individuality.” - Tim Freystedt, European Marketing Manager Game Boy Advance

yeah lemme express my individuality through a corporate product

womp

What do you guys think of this AGS-101 listing on eBay? The backlit version was officially released in Graphite Black, correct?

Plenty of people taking horrible condition, beaten up 101s and repurposing their innards and screens into a third party shell - That, IMO, is what is happening in that auction. That and the fact if you scroll down the description says:

" This system has been professionally refurbished. I have replaced the housing for this system."

I've done it myself with a 101 I found dirt cheap but looked like it had been a play toy for a chihuahua. :)

That second one you posted is the real deal though.

Wolfe

I like how he says it was professionally rebuilt... by himself. :p

Maybe I should sell my white SP and say that it was professionally painted, in my apt building basement with a spray can lol.

womp

I like how he says it was professionally rebuilt... by himself. :p

Maybe I should sell my white SP and say that it was professionally painted, in my apt building basement with a spray can lol.

It would be L@@K RARE, that is for sure! ;)

Zalman

Plenty of people taking horrible condition, beaten up 101s and repurposing their innards and screens into a third party shell - That, IMO, is what is happening in that auction. That and the fact if you scroll down the description says:

" This system has been professionally refurbished. I have replaced the housing for this system."

I've done it myself with a 101 I found dirt cheap but looked like it had been a play toy for a chihuahua. :)

That second one you posted is the real deal though.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I ended up buying the second one I posted. Excited to finally own a backlit GBA SP. :)

TnK

Well this arrived
img-20140418-wa0000uckmy.jpg

Bought it from Chinbo37's friend.

I am currently not at my home, so when I asked them to send a pic of the game, I recieved this:
img-20140417-wa0002trd6t.jpg

Which is the bootleg zero mission that I owned. I thought I was scammed till they told me that my brother took the game, and I was mistakenly sent this.

Really happy with the condition. It is like new.

I took the back shell from a non backlit sp I found at a thrift shop for $1 and put it on my backlit sp That had a cracked shell. Its not hard to do.

Grief.exe

I took the back shell from a non backlit sp I found at a thrift shop for $1 and put it on my backlit sp That had a cracked shell. Its not hard to do.

Maybe that is what I will do.

Will look for a cheap SP in good condition and replace my current shell. Rather than trying to deal with low quality replacement shells.

lewisgone

Don't know if this is more suited to the Game Boy or Gamecube thread, but I picked up a Game Boy Player today after wanting one for months and months. It's so great, and it's been fun revisiting a bunch of Game Boy games I hadn't played in years on my TV. Every good Game Boy I own is either a Color or below, and the Advance+SP I own are both in relatively poor condition after years of use. I never gave my GBA games the attention they deserved on the DS Lite either, so the Game Boy Player is really cool.

Also, once the correct batteries arrive, I'm going to be changing the battery in my Pokemon Emerald game. Has anyone else done this? Any tips? I'm planning on just using electrical tape to hold the battery in place...will that do provided I make it secure enough? I'm not confident with soldering.

Also, once the correct batteries arrive, I'm going to be changing the battery in my Pokemon Emerald game. Has anyone else done this? Any tips? I'm planning on just using electrical tape to hold the battery in place...will that do provided I make it secure enough? I'm not confident with soldering.

I've replaced all the batteries in my GB[C] and SNES games. I would seriously not recommend using tape. You will never get a secure enough connection using tape; dropping your cartridge could lead to losing your save. Soldering is not hard, nor is it expensive (especially for cartridge batteries). Watch a quick youtube tutorial on how to solder, buy a $10 soldering iron, and just go for it.

Coda

Gonna throw this up here again because it seems that most people aren't interested in this in the Buy/Sell thread...

Selling my Mother 3 GBA Micro in great condition. Comes semi complete with original box (and mini boxes inside), original paperwork, Mother 3 game manual, GoPro pouch (which fits it perfectly), and charger.

It does not come with: the Mother 3 GBA cartridge, original Mother 3 pouch, and the Mother 3 Franklin Badge.

Asking $310 which includes shipping, payment through Paypal preferred.

photo8_zps275d209b.jpg

You can see more pictures of what's included here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xxstryderxx/library/Mother%203%20GBA%20Micro?sort=3&page=1

Rich!

Just bought Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2 JP together for just over a tenner.

KDL looks a little bit worn on the label, but KDL2 looks in great shape - and that's the one I want most. The US version goes for a minimum of £15 alone on ebay, and apart from the title screen the Japanese version is fully english!

Rich!

I love collecting GB/GBC games

There's a real nostalgia there that I don't have with other consoles. Also, each game is pretty damn cheap right now - average of around £3 or £4 a game. Even the most sought after ones like the Oracle games are still the price of a standard Nintendo/RARE/etc SNES game on ebay.

I love collecting GB/GBC games

There's a real nostalgia there that I don't have with other consoles. Also, each game is pretty damn cheap right now - average of around £3 or £4 a game. Even the most sought after ones like the Oracle games are still the price of a standard Nintendo/RARE/etc SNES game on ebay.

Nearly everything is cheap, except English copies of Pokemon games for some reason.

Lynd7

Especially nowadays, I'm glad I started collecting 6 years ago. Some of the prices are going crazy, the sad thing is that it's only going to get uglier with the years. :/

Yeah, Im not after new/sealed either, just want them to have sturdy boxes and to have been looked after. There isn't many more I want, so I'll hopefully get them soon.

The lot of Sonic Advance games I got recently were an alright bargain, $50 for all three in box. Shipping to Aust added cost though.

Top Bottom