• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Zalman

AFAIK, it was only released as one colour (onyx black) in Europe, and only half of those colours are the AGS-101. Not worth the hassle.

Look for a USA import. Got my last two from Ebay.
Which colors did the US ones come in then? Is silver an option? Also, how much did you get yours for?

you guys got me thinkin about that Klonoa game...

Though it really wasn't clear to me, say if you could only get ONE Klonoa GBA game, which of the 2 is the best really?

I will then try to hunt that one down, getting around to actually playing it is another matter so i'd rather only get the best one ;)

womp

I'm still checking Ebay, as they have gotten really cheap on there in the last few months, but I'm dead set on having a clear one (any color clear though!). I would obviously not hold a $90 unit to the same standards of a $180 unit so I may just do that since a backlight seems to be $50+ anyway.

Did you see my pics above? I paid $87 shipped for it and it is gorgeous. It uses the same parts RCG use from the same supplier as they use and that anyone can buy from.

The only difference is you paid 2x the price and in your case got lower standards for it, judging by your problematic transaction. I avoided RCG due to complaints from customers such as yourself, especially from the quality versus the price perspective. I would have been livid just as you have been.

On the other side of the coin, a buddy of mine snagged a $100 one from a different seller and received what he claims was a grubby unit. Dirty headphone jack and volume controls along with a smudgey screen. I think you simply have to look at the seller reviews and word of mouth with these things.

The other option (as you mentioned) is doing it yourself which doesn't seem to be such a bad process in itself. Just get some good information and instruction before hand and familiarize yourself with the insides of the system.

Grief.exe

AFAIK, it was only released as one colour (onyx black) in Europe, and only half of those colours are the AGS-101. Not worth the hassle.

Its crazy how hard it is to get ahold of an ags 101 in other countries. It has achieved this mythical status in certain regions.

I picked mine up from this tiny, 12 year old kid. I'm a big guy >6'5 so it was funny seeing both the mom and her son's reactions. They were very small as well, around 5 feet tall.

yrChBfN.jpg

Woooooo! My GB Micro I bought off of Ebay came in the mail today. This thing is so tiny and I love it.

Now fellow GAFers, what are some must have GBA games I need to get?

Wolfe

Which colors did the US ones come in then? Is silver an option? Also, how much did you get yours for?

NA unfortunately only got two colors aside from onyx black, pearl pink and pearl blue (bleh). I snagged a pearl blue one off a lady on craigslist for 10 bucks and just repainted it white. Nothing special but it came out alright.

Wolfe

there are also 3rd-party shells for case swaps

I actually bought one off eBay with the intent to paint that but the build and plastic quality on them (in my experience) is utter crap compared with Nintendos stuff so I just ended up sanding and re-using the pearl blue one. Maybe you can get better quality ones from more reliable sources but I didn't take the time to look into it further.

Grief.exe

I actually bought one off eBay with the intent to paint that but the build and plastic quality on them (in my experience) is utter crap compared with Nintendos stuff so I just ended up sanding and re-using the pearl blue one. Maybe you can get better quality ones from more reliable sources but I didn't take the time to look into it further.

That actually sounds like a really good idea. Any guides you can link me to?

That white looks phenomenal.

Joqu

I know for a fact that pink and tribal AGS-101's were released here in Europe actually, I think those were the really late models over here? The one I own is a European pink one, I should really swap the shell someday...

Wolfe

That actually sounds like a really good idea. Any guides you can link me to?

That white looks phenomenal.

I do not unfortunately, I've always been a DIYer so I simply took it apart, carefully sanded all the pieces down and then spray painted them with a particular vinyl paint (it adheres to the plastic better and won't chip/crack like model or similar paints might).

What I can recommend is to do a search for controller mods instructions, specifically painting a controller, same concept.

Edit: actually here, I found a perfect example, exact same concept: http://alcaron.blogspot.com/2006/12/noir-360-wireless-controller.html

Zalman

NA unfortunately only got two colors aside from onyx black, pearl pink and pearl blue (bleh). I snagged a pearl blue one off a lady on craigslist for 10 bucks and just repainted it white. Nothing special but it came out alright.
I was hoping for silver, but I guess those don't exist? I'll go for a black one then.

Grief.exe

I do not unfortunately, I've always been a DIYer so I simply took it apart, carefully sanded all the pieces down and then spray painted them with a particular vinyl paint (it adheres to the plastic better and won't chip/crack like model or similar paints might).

What I can recommend is to do a search for controller mods instructions, specifically painting a controller, same concept.

Edit: actually here, I found a perfect example, exact same concept: http://alcaron.blogspot.com/2006/12/noir-360-wireless-controller.html

That white looks very good. I might just sand it down and repaint it black, its kind of dinged up as I got it used.

Wolfe

I was hoping for silver, but I guess those don't exist? I'll go for a black one then.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the paltry color selection that they released here, black would be my first choice as well.

That white looks very good. I might just sand it down and repaint it black, its kind of dinged up as I got it used.

I know what you mean, the lady I bought mine from had a bunch of them (I think 3 out of the 10 or so she had were 101's, the rest were frontlit models) and literally all of them were scratched to hell.

Also for game suggestions here's a couple old pics of my games, apologies for the poor quality they're phone pics but most of them shouldn't be too hard to deduce.

Wolfe

What a great collection, Wolfe! Boktai really brings back memories for me, of trying to get the game to work indoors....

Haha yeah I mostly played that one while working for UPS, I wasn't a driver but I was doing a sort of side driving job where I picked up packages from some of the drivers to take back to the building and the first pick up I usually had to wait a half hour or so. I would just sit in the truck and play Boktai, still need to finish the game though :p

Always bummed me out that it relied so much on the sun sensor as the game is pretty rad but without UV light the gameplay is pretty gimped and the original GBA is definitely the best system for it with the cartridge slot on the top and all.

Melter

Hey guys got a question about the save chips in these carts if anyone can shed some light:

I know there are GBA games out there that use battery backup SRAM chips for storing save data, however I also know that Nintendo released "revised" versions of some of those games that replaced the SRAM chip with an FeRAM chip which does not need a battery.

I have two cartridges of Metroid Zero Mission - one SRAM version and one FeRAM version (btw these are all genuine nintendo carts im talking about).

My question is - is there any list out there of games that Nintendo revised similarly to Zero Mission or do you know of any?

Melter

I've wondered about this as well. The only list I've ever stumbled upon is this one.

Ok so I looked into this a bit more comparing the list you posted and my own carts and the release info on pocket heaven. From what it looks like is that any game that uses "SRAM_V113" in the ROM header information (listed on pocketheaven) is FRAM from comparing my own carts and anything with V110-112 is SRAM

Weekend pickups:

Nothing big, but a nice little collection. Only need Battle Network 1 & 2 now.

Pretty dumb that Rampage and Gauntlet don't have multiplayer. Those games are just about worthless without. At least they were cheap.

Oh man SRT! Still cant find that for a good price anywhere. Is Shinobi any good?

I have no idea what Super Robot Taisen is, it was just $4.99 and had the name Atlus on the front. They do buy 5 get the sixth for free and their prices are pretty much always below online prices. So, it's easy to grab shit you've never heard of.

Haven't played Shinobi yet. Harmony of Dissonance is consuming my GBA currently. I thought I'd played all the Castlevania games of the era, but HoD does not seem familiar at all so I actually don't think I've played it. Kind of exciting.

I love my GBA. SP+. The color is kinda iffy, but I cant complain too much because otherwise it's perfect. And I got it secondhand for $40 at gamestop of all places. I just got lucky. I also have an original Glacier GBA but it stays in it's box. Backlight or no backlight, I can't go back to using batteries.

MmylD.jpg

Peagles

Post them!

Okay here goes!

REAL:

FAKE:

Real box on the left, fake box on the right, it's slightly yellowish and also doesn't close properly because the cardboard is poor quality...

Real on top, fake on bottom, pretty close but no cigar...

This one's not even close lol...

Here's where it gets funny, they're not even close AND there's gibberish on the back of the fake one...

Manual looks okay to begin with, real on top...

Then uh oh...

And it gets better!

Stay tuned to this gamespace as we bring you more updates! Fucking LOL...

Artorias

Banned
I bought a fake copy of DQ5 DS that had a printed manual and everything like that FF6 above.

It's actually full of comedy. One of the early pages mentions that you'll probably get bored because the game is too long.

Lynd7

I just got the three Sonic Advance games! They are all boxed and are in nice condition.

I just want to ask though, the inside of the boxes of 2 and 3 don't have the usual cardboard tray. Is that as it should be? Instead, there is a small square hollow section on one side and empty space next to it.

Both came with the manuals and the included posters. All the carts have Nintendo printed on the board too. I don't have a tri-wing so I can't open them up and check the boards better.

-KRS-

I bought a game.

It was not cheap, but cheaper than the average on ebay these days. $122 shipped.

Nice! That's about what I paid for mine as well (also the JP release), only mine has something small written with a marker pen on the back. IIRC you were the guy who had been on the lookout for this game for years but hadn't found it for a decent price? Congrats on finally getting your hands on it! :)

I still haven't beaten it yet... even though when I bought it I said it was almost too easy lol. It's the last stage and its little boss rush that gets me every time. Also, no continues! Usually I don't like it when games don't have continues but since the rest of the game is so easy it makes sense in this case.

Oare

Nintendo on the left, Nintondo on the right...

Does it have proper sound?

The chip on the right says "motto chibariyo- 30 sound data ROM".
I googled "motto chibariyo- 30", and this is what comes up:
mottochibariyo14ur8.jpg

Edit: oh, I just noticed it only has that one chip, so I suppose they just reprogrammed it with all the data.
But at least now you know where they scavenged the part from (or rather, what other machine copy it was initially destined for).

Het_Nkik

I just got the three Sonic Advance games! They are all boxed and are in nice condition.

I just want to ask though, the inside of the boxes of 2 and 3 don't have the usual cardboard tray. Is that as it should be? Instead, there is a small square hollow section on one side and empty space next to it.

Both came with the manuals and the included posters. All the carts have Nintendo printed on the board too. I don't have a tri-wing so I can't open them up and check the boards better.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of GBA games? This became the standard box design after a year or two. They're legit.

Lynd7

Thanks.

I have a bunch, although the majority first party. Also I am in Australia and haven't import too many games from the U.S.

Teknoman

Thanks.

I have a bunch, although the majority first party. Also I am in Australia and haven't import too many games from the U.S.

You can also check the inside of the cart by shining a light and looking at the gold connectors or whatever they are called. If you can only see those small circles at the top in a straight line across, you're good. If they are randomly on the gold connectors, fake.

Okay here goes!

REAL:

FAKE:

Not to mention they even put the wrong characters on the cart/box (Rydia, Edward, and Rosa from IV).

Nice! That's about what I paid for mine as well (also the JP release), only mine has something small written with a marker pen on the back. IIRC you were the guy who had been on the lookout for this game for years but hadn't found it for a decent price? Congrats on finally getting your hands on it! :)

I still haven't beaten it yet... even though when I bought it I said it was almost too easy lol. It's the last stage and its little boss rush that gets me every time. Also, no continues! Usually I don't like it when games don't have continues but since the rest of the game is so easy it makes sense in this case.
Actually, I think that was my first post in this thread. Maybe I made a stray one or two here or there. I've only been after the game for a few months, but I've wanted it since I splurged for Gimmick a while back. I really like the game--no surprise since it's 1992 Sunsoft.

Today's pickups:

Nothing major, but a good handful again. No idea what the two OG Game Boy games are, but they had cool labels and were $2 each. Place I went to had the most GBA games I've ever seen, got pretty excited. But, there wasn't that much good stuff in there.

LostAnkh

Today's pickups:

Nothing major, but a good handful again. No idea what the two OG Game Boy games are, but they had cool labels and were $2 each. Place I went to had the most GBA games I've ever seen, got pretty excited. But, there wasn't that much good stuff in there.
>Shining Soul
>Castlevania

Good choices my friend.

Top Bottom